Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Doretta Lowe
The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Twilightdreamer1979

Tarot

Hi all

Tarot is a wonderful skill if you have the patients to learn.

There are lots of myths and how you get your first tarot deck - some say it should be bought for you because it's unlucky to buy your own :o_angry: I don't believe this one for a second - the pictures of the deck need to "speak" to you. You need to be able to connect with the images - picking your own deck I believe is a much better idea.

A Deck usually consists of 78 Cards.

The Major Arcana are the first 22 Cards of the deck.

The Major Arcana Usually inclue The Fool, Death, The Star, The Chariot .. etc etc...

The Minor Arcana are usually broken up into 4 suits - Wands, Swords, Pentacles and Cups.

These suits generally correspond to the 4 elements as follows:

Wands =Fire

Swords =Air

Pentacles =Earth

Cups =Water

Each suit generally include 1 - 10 then Page, Knight, Queen and King.

I started by studying each of the major Arcana in turn. Looking at the pictures in detail and recording what the symbolism ment to me - I then read the general meaning that came with the booklet. and tallied up my findings.

I then moved on the the court cards, and then finally the numbered cards.

At the end of the day - all you have to do is find the right deck for you, the rest should come naturally B)

Love and light,

TD.x.

Note - The booklets are a guide, they are not the be all and end all of the card meanings - that part comes from within :o_devil:

Ad from Google

Whisperedwind

I've just been studying this for hmm, since last fall?

I think it helps if you have the mythology book, that tells about the cards, the background.

Riders/Waites have good descriptive cards.

Now, saying that the deck, I use is one given to me, by a friend, barnes/noble, not very specific drawings, but I've learned to use them.

I find them quite accurate, still looking up meanings!! lol

I've found this to be a great introductive, clear consive website.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/quest/

Theres another good website, that I use and was lucky to find a library that let you download FREE, 20 pages, a day!! So, will add that link later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now for most people, its true, that wands equal fire and swords air.

but, my mind/instinct for me, says that

swords are firey and I'm always getting sword cards, sigh, lol.. I just read them the same, but think of them as fire.

Same as with wands, wands and Air. I think of wands swishing thru the air.

I've tried and tried to reverse, but I can't and have found that some people do the same things with these 2 particular signs.

Right now, I just do 3 cards and shuffle thru, and usually a card falls out and its the right one, then i do pick 2 others.

soon tho, to move on to the Celtic Cross, which I've been told is very good to learn.

I'm finding it fascinating, slow go, at learning what they mean, but they're almost always accurate for me, whether I want them to be or not!! :)

I do know the tarot, takes a good couple yrs, to really learn... as with all things magickal :).

Blessings Whispered~

Guest Blackie_Fen

All good advice for beginners there :)

If you're unsure about a certain tarot deck (most shops won't allow you to open decks and have a look at the cards themselves), Aeclectic Tarot give reviews and sample pictures from most available decks. You can browse by deck, sort them by the number of stars they've been given in reviews and read a little of the design history of each deck - useful in making your choice.

Its good to remember as well that you don't have to use the spreads laid out in the various books available - just as you can use your own interpretations of the cards, you can create your own spreads to suit your needs. If you want something more detailed than a 3 card reading but not as detailed as the Celtic Cross for instance, then create something :) Maybe a five card reading, with the positions of the cards (as in the standard spreads) telling you which area of the question the card in that position is answering...

:D "If you're unsure about a certain tarot deck (most shops won't allow you to open decks and have a look at the cards themselves), Aeclectic Tarot give reviews and sample pictures from most available decks. You can browse by deck, sort them by the number of stars they've been given in reviews and read a little of the design history of each deck - useful in making your choice."

OxonPagan I found that site ages ago but I couldn't remeber the name of it - thank you!!

also ...

Its good to remember as well that you don't have to use the spreads laid out in the various books available - just as you can use your own interpretations of the cards, you can create your own spreads to suit your needs. If you want something more detailed than a 3 card reading but not as detailed as the Celtic Cross for instance, then create something :lol:

Totally agree. I started out with a 3 card spread, then 6, then 9. The more cards the more indepth the reading. :)

TD.x.

Edited by Twilightdreamer1979

weatherwitch

Strangely enough I don't see the The Minor Arcana as corresponding to the 4 elements, they are just are what they are :o_kiss: I prefer the BirdSpread for my readings, it's the most accurate for me, and the only one I can do very successfully albeit very slowly too :(

Whisperedwind

ohh had to add this link!

Really good too`

www.learntarot.com

Guest Touchstone

Yeah, Thats good advice

another thing i've done with my mates is taken pictures of us all and mounted them on weetabix carboard, then with markers and a bit of artistic vision we made our very own Tarot deck, its fun to watch the readings that come out of the deck.

we also made our own Top Trump cards, you know we put just fun stuff on it....drinking weight (heavy, middle, light duh!!) weight weight (Fat Bastard etc etc)

also excuse the French

:lol:

Guest DragonMaster

This is a very good basic thread, twilight, well done :unsure:

I would, however, say that I've read in several places that Swords = Fire and Wands = Air, I agree with Whispered.

Not that elements really come into it much because you don't need to know them to do a reading.

BB

DMster

This is a very good basic thread, twilight, well done  :o_wave:

I would, however, say that I've read in several places that Swords = Fire and Wands = Air, I agree with Whispered.

Not that elements really come into it much because you don't need to know them to do a reading.

BB

DMster

DragonMaster

I disagree .............. Elements are a part of everything.

Everything corresponds to an element, Sun signs, Tarot suits, I ching symbols, traditional Craft tools.... I personally think The elements are a great way to link all info together. Even Cunninghams magickal plants and herbs (can't remember the correct name for the book) has elemental references :o_lol:

TD.x.

Guest QuercusRobur
I disagree .............. Elements are a part of everything.

IMHO Elements are a part of everything, but you don't need to know them to do a tarot reading.

Sorry I don't think I put my meaning across very well, I do tend to lose my point, sorry!

What I ment was, with court cards turning up in a spread, it helps (me at least) to explain who this card represents depending on what suit the card is :angry:

Is that clearer? ................. I need some Reiki and some sleep lol

TD.x.

Guest Crow

Hi Twilightdreamer B)

I've been trying to develop my tarot reading lately. Generally I tend to use the Celtic Cross spread, that's given me some good results in the past.

I hate my deck, though - it's the basic Swiss deck and it's horribly literal; the eight of cups for example just being a picture of eight cups. Ditto for the rest of the minor arcana. It's hard to feel any connection or to interpret the cards in a personal way with such a plain deck.

What would you recommend as a replacement? I was thinking of getting the Rider-Waite deck, readings I've had with that are very interesting.

Have you ever looked into the "New Orleans Voodoo Tarot"? [sic] Developed by Louis Martinie and Mambo Sallie Ann Glassman if memory serves. I haven't seen it in any shops here but I'm hopefully going over there in November so I may be able to pick it up in the city itself.

Hey Crow

This deck? http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/new-orleans-voodoo/

Looking at those pic's it's not to my taste, but then that's why there are SO many different types of tarot card, go with what "speaks" to YOU!.

I use .. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/fantastical/ most of the time :P

I also have http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/crows-magick/ But can't connect with it at all B) It was a birthday pressie from a friend that knew I liked Crows :o_wave:

This is the next deck on my list ... http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sacred-circle/

Just LOVE these images ;)

I started out with a very large and basic deck based on the Rider-Waite deck... It was ok to start with but I soon grew bored with the pictures, I NEEDED something different which is when I got the Fantastical Tarot :D The suit cards in the Rider-Waite deck are pretty boring too arn't they?

If you look around the site I've shown you these decks on, there are literally hundreds of samples of Tarot decks. It might take you a while but have a brouse through and see what speaks to you :D

TD.x.

PS I've only just noticed, but on the deck I want there are elemental pictures in the borders of the suits lol - PERFECT! I gotta have it now ;)

Guest horsethorn

I've tried several packs of Tarot, & 'sets of cards', but my personal favourite is the Shining Woman deck - not quite trad tarot, but great nonetheless. Also Bob Stewart's Merlin deck, the Druid Tree Oracle & the Celtic Shaman's deck. They're all good for different things - Merlin is quite airy & has more of an impersonal perspective, Shining Woman for earthy practical stuff.

Obviously this is my take. Most people I know find one set & stick with it, but I acquired a few & tried them all, including the Thoth set. Very odd, that one, but I'm sure it'll suit someone.

The best book I've found on tarot yet is Tarotmania, by Jan Wudhuysen (sp may not be 100% akurate). I'd recommend it after you've read a couple of intro books. The advice on being paid is excellent!

Guest Little_wicca_lady

For the last seven years I've used a really basic pack -it was part of a set "teach yourself Tarot" or something like that and cost about a fiver. The pics were basic, but helpful and I was able to familiarise myself with the cards.

I always wanted to get a proper set - as in one where the images called to me, and I discovered the Old english Tarot this summer. I basically went through a book in a shop which had sample cards from over a hundred packs. It took a long time, but was worth it. I love the pictures in my new set and have been using them daily just to get a feel for them.

I've only done a few proper readings as of yet but they've come out as pretty accurate.

In the book I got with my first set, it said not to do your own readings - does anyone agree/disagree with this? I've found that readings done for me by other people have been more accurate than my own, but at the same time, I like doing them for myself and for more general readings they suit my purposes.

Guest Effra
In the book I got with my first set, it said not to do your own readings - does anyone agree/disagree with this?  I've found that readings done for me by other people have been more accurate than my own, but at the same time, I like doing them for myself and for more general readings they suit my purposes.

Most of my readings are done for myself. Anyway, who else would put up with you doing readings as a beginner, just to get more of a feel for the cards?

Having said that, reading for yourself is a bit like playing scrabble (or chess) against yourself. I need to bear in mind that there is a tendency to twist things how you want them to be instead of how they are.

Edited by Effra

Guest GraveyardHaunter

I've been using tarot for years, but only this year decided to properly understand them, this has led to my new hobby.... Collecting Tarot packs lol!!!! I have about 12 decks now, every pay day I try to find a new deck which I like, not just buying one for the sake of it, but finding an unusual or personal theme.

I can't believe how many are on that website mentioned at the beginning, I'm going to be here for hours going through them lol lol

One of the good things about collecting them, is when people find out, they quite often have a deck at home which they bought years ago and never really used.

My tip for learning the cards and the meanings (like i'm some big expert ha ha ha);

For your first pack, the Rider-Waite is generally the best, not that it is my favourite deck by any means, but 99% of Tarot books and manuals use the Rider waite as the basic example, so it is easier to gain an initial understanding.

Secondly, draw your own deck! I traced the outline of one my cards duplicated it loads of times and then worked my way through the Major Arcana. Now I can't draw at all, in fact if you saw some of them you would be excused for wanting to put them on your fridge door with a sign saying "James aged 5". However, because I am not copying any particular deck, but understanding the meanings and interpretting them myself, I got a much better understanding of all the cards. Spending 20 minutes on each card with my non toxic crayons really helped me learn the basics.

There you go, my two penneth worth

James

PS, if any of you have any decks you don't use......... hee hee hee

In the book I got with my first set, it said not to do your own readings - does anyone agree/disagree with this?  I've found that readings done for me by other people have been more accurate than my own, but at the same time, I like doing them for myself and for more general readings they suit my purposes.

Most of my readings are done for myself. Anyway, who else would put up with you doing readings as a beginner, just to get more of a feel for the cards?

Having said that, reading for yourself is a bit like playing scrabble (or chess) against yourself. I need to bear in mind that there is a tendency to twist things how you want them to be instead of how they are.

Effra and little Wicca lady

I started to practice on myself and my best friend, she was also new to actual workings within the Pagan umbrella, though we'd both done a hell of a lot of reading for many years. :P

After a time when I gained more confidence I started trying readings for other friends, though i did and still do explain that they are my guiney pigs and I am a leaner - I do still consider myself a learner though the people I read for all say I have a gift :blink: I like to read for people that I know a little but don't know much about them, friends of friends that sort of thing.... That was my 3rd eye isn't coloured by what my brain knows B)

I can't do readings for myself any more - I just can't "see" straight when it comes to me :P Typical huh?! lol

GraveyardHaunter

Nice try mate but I'm keeping hold of my decks :D

TD.x.

Guest Talletje

Tarot has become one of my new interests since 2 years. I know all the cards now and most of the time I can explain their context. But I always use 1 or 2 books with it. I started with Rider Wite deck, because I am a beginner. I want to get a Dali deck now, I saw it and it is stunning. I want it, but I need to save up for it. :blink:

Tarot brought me understanding and less lonelyness, I feel totally at home when I am reading them. Spiritually connected with the bigger thing, you know. I love it.

I wonder if there are people here who are thelapatically gifted like me and use tarot. I experienced it as being a usefull combination when I read for others. I just know how the cards speak to them and try to keep this open so they can find out for themselves. But me feeling what the point is, makes it so much easier to explain to others. Somebody who experiences this and who can give me general advice or who want to share their experience with the combination of thelapathy and tarot?

My other question is can I pick the cards myself when I read for someone else? Most books say you can, some say it is better not to. But I just feel the cards I need to pick and I am this arrogant to say I do this better than people who are less spiritual. What is your opinion?

I am going to start a job with much uncertainties in decisions and I will work with a lot of people. It is a commercial job, but I want to use my knowledge that I gained in my life next to university. I mean, I want to do it right and my way. I believe that is the only good way. Are there people who use tarot in their work?

Esk

What kind of pack is it? There are usually books to go with them you can get that will teach you the interpretations although I've also heard of people eschewing all that in favour of working out their own meanings based on what the pictures on the cards mean to them which does honestly sound more like it to me. Not that I'm much of an expert, tarot has never appealed to me.

Guest Talletje

Try basic books with for each card 4 explanations. In this way you can learn the basic 4 card deck (different kind of crossmethods). It matters where in which place it lies and in this way you learn to interpretate it as a whole.

forest cat

There was a thread on this topic last week which may help as well. Can't find it (more accurately I'm on a really slow modem and it will take far too much time and frustration to find it :o_beer: )

But here's link to an online tarot course thing that can help you learn if you have something similar to a standard deck. (My deck has a different order and some renaming of the major arcana - something to watch).

It's do at your own pace (or just dip into it which is what I do) and its downloadable onto computer as well as using online.

Learn Tarot

Guest WoodSong

I've just gathered this deck:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/londa/ after waiting four months for it and have to say I absolutely love it. It's the fourth deck I've tried and I connect so well with the theatricality of it. I like the way it works on so many levels and the rather gothic, Tim Burton style characters.

LadyCatCrimson

Thats a really nice set Woodsong, I loved the illustrations. Now an actual Tim Burton characters set of Tarot cards would be lovely and humorous, I wish someone would make some. I have that Arthurian set by ... blimey Ive forgotten their names and its packed away somewhere. The interpretations are by a couple who are quite well versed in Arthurian/celtic legends. The pictures are quite beautiful and I used to use them more as a starting point for meditation than strict interpretation of the spreads.

Have often toyed with the idea of designing Tarot sets, both personally and for commercial reasons. Its something I don't use often but the range of symbolism fascinates me. I don't know if someone has already done this but I used to mull over designing a rock ( as in music not geological ) icons set, figuring out who would represent what has kept me up to the wee small hours many a time and provided much heated discussion amongst friends. It just seems to me that it would represent a lot of connections for a lot of people and would make interesting focuses, err I mean, focii ? i think, :P

Guest WoodSong

I'm just waiting for a Discworld Tarot - do you think if we got up a petition and all promised to buy a desk Paul Kidby would produce one?

Hey, there's a good exercise for getting to know your deck. Find the meaning of each card, then match it to a Discworld character or situation :P

LadyCatCrimson

Oh blimey, yes that would be great. The Death card would be er... Death of course, plus Binky ;)

I lust after a Preacher tarot set ( Preacher as in the Garth Ennnis/Steve Dillon comic series ) The Saint of Killers as Death would just be fantastic ... Glenn Fabry that did all the Preacher covers only lives about 5 miles away from, I think I should go stalk him until he produces a set :P

That Aeclectic tarot site is proving fatal, Ive done nothing but flip through the seemingly endless samples from sets since I clicked on the link ......