Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Moonlight Forest
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: Moonlight Forest
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Twilightdreamer1979

Tarot

Synhild

Thisis a great tarot forum to browse. It's interesting to compare the differences in interpretation in the card by card forum.

Tarot Passages is another site along the lines of the Aeclectic Tarot site but also reviews both tarot books in general and the specific books for each deck.

The rock tarot is a fascinating idea LadyCatCrimson *goes off thinking* :o_wave:

Ad from Google

Guest scottishmoondreamer
all you have to do is find the right deck for you

so how does one do that??? especially if I buy online (how i do a LOT of my witchy stuff shopping)

i already have a tarot deck i got with a book some years ago and i guess since it spends 99% of its time in loft i havent felt any connection with it.....would LOVE to learn tarot...is there a good tarot learner book..like a tarot bible???

Guest WoodSong

A lot of tarot decks have a book related to that deck, which is the best place to start learning. As for finding the right deck for you - what do you want from your tarot deck? Are you familiar with a certain set of myths, or pantheon of gods? Do you want a deck with draws from Greek myths, Roman myths, Egyptian traditions, Shakespeare or Lord of the Rings? They're all out there! Do you want a deck which is heavily based on the Qaballah symbolism, or something more approachable? Do you want a deck with pretty pictures, with fairies, with art nouveau design, with vampires?

There are lots of options. Best advice I can give is go to the Aeclectic Tarot site linked above and have a look at the pictures of the cards, see if any grab you. If you are really picky, you will need to go to a shop and look through samples. Our local branch of Ottakers keeps a good range, so it doesn't have to be a new age shop!

Don't give up on tarot because your first deck doesn't suit you. Mine didn't either! The Londa tarot is the fourth deck I've tried and the best "fit" for me. The Rider Waite and the Robin Wood were both hopeless. The Olde English (shudder at spelling!) is better, but I need to do a bit more academic research before being comfortable using it. The Londa is great!

Happy searching,

blessings WoodSong

LadyCatCrimson

Yeah smd take a look at that site, you can flip through blooming 100's of packs and its a good way to see what grabs you. I was just lucky with my Arthurian pack in that, I wasn't even looking for a tarot pack and had no desire to own one, but I saw these in a bookshop about 15 years ago and they shouted Buy me ! at me, so I did :lol: and they've been very useful, and I feel very comfortable with them.

I think it is important to get a pack whose images you feel attuned to, as otherwise you might as well just use a normal pack of playing cards or summat.

That site did have a rock and roll pack but I gotta admit it didnt really ring my bell, even though the quality of images were good - I'm sure I could come up with a better one :) but yes that other site with the book reviews is good as I think Aeclectic just reviews the pack ? altho I tuink they also have other tarot related areas ie forums etc.

Guest Kimhuggens

Hi folks!

*After much nagging from Crow, I've finally ended my lurking here... Thanks Crow!*

I thought I'd add my thoughts here, since I've been an avid student of Tarot since I was 9 years old... I can't really remember how I started to learn, but know what helped me learn the most in the last 11 years...

Firstly, I learned that Tarot is fun and dynamic - not some stiff, unmoving, cut-and-dried system. It is flexible and can appliy itself to each individual's life, to many spiritual systems, to many world mythologies... anything! This is one reason there are so many different decks out there, all with varying themes. So, I think learning the Tarot should also be fun and dynamic.

I, and many others I spoke to, found it difficult to 'structure' our learning. If we did, it became dry and boring, and the Tarot didn't speak to us in its own language. We imposed too much upon it, without letting it come to us. Synchronity, we found, has a knack of teaching you Tarot through life experience, through people, through thought and reflection. So, one major part of learning how to use Tarot is learning about the Universe around us, and learning about people and life. This is, after all, what the Tarot portrays.

Discussing with other people is a brilliant way to find out more too. Gathering a group of friends for a Tarot evening every couple of weeks, or joining a Tarot forum such as the wonderful one at Aeclectic.net facilitates a deeper and more diverse understanding of the many takes on the cards. It also allows people to swap ideas, readings (for practice), spreads, and decks.

Reading. Widely and diversely. The Tarot is a map of the Universe, so it makes sense to study the Universe when studying Tarot. As such, any books on mythology, other divination systems, philosophy, religion, the occult, etc, are excellent, and can give you insights into the cards.

Creating your own deck/cards is great too, even if you can't draw! Just think about what the card represents to you, and draw it/create it any way you like. You don't even need to use the card later on - just the act of creating it helps you gain new insights into it and helps you synthesize what you have learned about it.

Practice makes perfect. When you've got a bit of confidence, start reading for others! Tell them you're just practicing, and that's a lot of pressure off you to 'perform'. Do it for friends, relatives, strangers in pubs (that was how I really learned!) and even, if nobody around is obliging, fictional characters. Shakespeare has some great potential in his plots and characters for some interesting readings, and the key here is to remember that we're not trying to get it right. That's not what we're practicing when we read for fictional characers. We're practicing the art of reading. The art of linking the cards before us into a story and of delivering its message.

Tarot Games are cool too. This is best done with others who are interested in Tarot. You could try Tarot Charades, where one person acts out/speaks in character as a Tarot card without saying what it is, and everybody has to guess which card it is. The description should be about teh card meaning, not about the imagery in the card, because that's too basic and isn't what the card is.

Applying the cards to real life and/or your favourite fiction helps too. This allows you to see how these metaphysical concepts apply to the human world. Anybody for Harry Potter and the Tarot? ( http://cardiffpagan.co.uk/magazine/issues/...tter-tarot.php) Or how about you Discworld fans discussing what cards you think apply to which characters/scenes/places/events in Pratchett's stories? There are published decks out there that do this already, such as the Lord of the Rings Tarot and the Legend: Arthurian Tarot.

Finally, I'll finish with a disagreement. (Boy, I'm all light tonight.) Somebody mentioned before that 'the more cards in the spread, the more in-depth the spread was'. I disagree wholeheartedly. There is no limit to the depth in a single card, and thus I do not see a limit to the depth of a small reading compared to a large one. True, sometimes a reading needs more cards. But sometimes it needs less. It is all, as always, dependent upon the question and the issue that is being looked into. (For instance, "How will the party go tonight?" is not going to need a Celtic Cross spread, whereas "My girlfriend isn't communicating with me. How can I help her?" is a question that has a relationship at stake, and many deeper issues underlying it, and therefore may require a few more cards.) But sometimes with large spreads there is a very real danger of the reading becoming shallow instead of in-depth, because you may have a tendency to gloss over each card quickly due to the large amount of them, and therefore may ignore a very important deeper detail. Whereas with a small spread, you tend to go deeper into each card, and may not miss that very important detail.

So, that's my tuppence-worth of opinion on spread sizes!

Oh, and before I sign off- a Tarot bible... No. Sadly (or gladly?) not. Tarot is a very individual thing, and the way you read, the deck you use, the questions you read better for, your reading style, what you use Tarot for, etc, are all individual to you. Hence why there are so many different ways of doing Tarot shown in books, and why a Tarot Bible could never exist. There's no right or wrong way - there is only your way, and respecting the ways of others.

Right, that's my delurker post posted. Hope it helps, and look forward to contributing to discussions some more.

Blessings,

Kim

Guest cygfa

When I buy a tarot deck or receive one as a gift, I tend to read the book that comes with to find out where the artist received his/her inspiration from. This allows me to get a better feel of the deck. But as soon as I start doing spreads I trust (or at least try) my intuition. If it is a very novel deck I might have a look at the book to see the differences between my reading and the reading the book proposes. In most cases it seems that my readings are more accurate than the book. This is should not come to a suprise as when you are reading the cards, you use your energy to guide the reading. A book cannot do that.

Trust you intuition.

from the heart,

Cygfa

Guest Seeker

Very good advice Cygfa!!! I think (and feel) that you are right. But I do have a question for you, and the group in general - As a novice, how does one learn to trust themselves??? I often find that I may be an "intuitive" reading of the cards and then check what the book says.. When there is a conflict, I don't know how to react and often defer to the book... Here is an example, I recently did a lay (I use the Gilded Tarot) and the nine of wands came up.. Looking at the card I interpreted it as a soldier, weary from a difficult but lengthy battle, with the wands of his fallen opponents behind him - a long tough, but victorious struggle, which has left you tired, but it is over. The book, on the other hand interprets the wands behind him a a barrier that he was unable to penetrate, and exhaused, and weary, he is contemplating his unexpected failure. Very different reading.... What is a novice to do... Should I even be going to the book?

I get so confused at times and that just seems to further muddy the reading... It is frustrating because many of my reading seem to be right on...

Help,

Seeker

Guest cygfa
Very good advice Cygfa!!!  I think (and feel) that you are right.  But I do have a question for you, and the group in general - As a novice, how does one learn to trust themselves???  I often find that I may be an "intuitive" reading of the cards and then check what the book says.. When there  is a conflict, I don't know how to react and often defer to the book...  Here is an example, I recently did a lay (I use the Gilded Tarot) and the nine of wands came up..  Looking at the card I interpreted it as a soldier, weary from a difficult but lengthy battle, with the wands of his fallen opponents behind him -  a long tough, but victorious struggle, which has left you tired, but it is over.  The book, on the other hand interprets the wands behind him a a barrier that he was unable to penetrate, and exhaused, and weary, he is contemplating his unexpected failure.  Very different reading....  What is a novice to do...  Should I even be going to the book?

I get so confused at times and that just seems to further muddy the reading...  It is frustrating because many of my reading seem to be right on...

Help,

Seeker

69499[/snapback]

Thanks. Trusting your intuition and oppening yourself towards the cards are the key factors for good readings. Both grow stronger with practice.

Doing spreads for yourself can be a hard task. Your mind starts to rationalise your intuition, darkening your intuition. Reading for somebody else slows this down. Also because you work with two sets of energy that interplay rather than just one.

It is a bit like a doctor trying to diagnose him/herself.

Hope this makes sense,

Cygfa

Guest Seeker

Makes perfect sense! Unfortunately, I am kind of isolated as far as other people to readings for.... ;)

Sigh,

Seeker

Guest very

I think just spending time with the cards, reading the divinatory meanings and letting your intuition take over as well is the way to go. There is a lot of symbolism in most cards and I do believe it helps to be able to understand those but going with your gut reaction is important, and singular meanings to cards cna be changed by others around them.

Keep a record of what you read and look back on it time to time, I find that personal interpretations change over time, new depths of understanding or intuition can be wrought, way I see it the definititions and meanings in the books are a guide to set you on your way. It is a little scary to step out on your own without the crutch of the book, but as you practice you will become more confident and assured of your intuition.

Where your intuition apparently conflicts with a standard interpretation, meditate, think, try and analyse what you felt/saw, does what the book say make sense, or was your initial impression more accurate? I see any divinatory tool, be it runes, tarot cards, pendulums etc simply as a condiute (sp?) for your own senses, a way to focus.

LadyCatCrimson

I would agree with spending time just looking at and meditating upon the individual cards. They are tools like any other, and you need to build up a relationship with them in order to further your use of them and acting as a channel for your subconcious rather than manipulating it. Make notes if you feel impelled to. I only have one pack ( although different decks fascinate me and designing some one day is a goal of mine ) and the cardsare all beautiful subtle and deeply symbolic and tbh I spend more time using them as a base for meditation than I do readings for myself.

Guest cygfa

I started with the Rider-Waite Deck, which for the moment is still my favourite.

Probably because I am very adapted to deck and vice-versa.

Some months ago, I bought the Osho Zen one, after a reading done by a friend.

One of the cards had such an effect on me that I just had to buy it. Now I use that one for looking more in to emotional side of things. I also seem to get more insight from relating various decks and the symbolism they use.

Guest Seeker

Hmmm, well, back in my teen days I got my first Tarot deck... It is the Barbara Walker Tarot. Now, I admit I wasn't serious at the time - I was a teen! But those of you who know of this deck know it is not a good choice as a first deck!!! I still hesitate to even attempt to use it because it seems to be a very powerful and strange!!! The deck I use is the Gilded Tarot - a very beautiful deck inspired by the Rider-Waite. And my third deck is called Cachet Tarot. Beautiful Major Arcana and Court cards, but the number cards ony have the number of symbols on them, just like a deck of playing cards - not a good deck for anything but collecting....

Regards,

Seeker

Guest Motherraven

I don't use tarot any more, I have tried ...... but these days - I use ordinary playing cards in a couple of ways that Old Ma taught me, which has a huge advantage in that most of the people that I read for don't have the faintest idea what the cards mean.

So many people think they know tarot that they freak when a certain card comes up, or smile smugly and go - well that's alright then, not linking what is next to etc.

For me, the cards, runes, coins, etc are only a way of channelling the reader's Sight, go for the intuition every time. And yes, reading for people you know too well (self included) is much more difficult because your conscious mind is reading things you already know into it. Far easier to do for a complete unknown.

Edited by Motherraven

Guest Arual

the trouble with learning Tarot, is that you can get so hung up on learning all the meanings, that you can't let your intuition through! Thats the trouble i had when i first started learning. I'm still learning, though so i'm by no means an expert.

I think reading through the meanings, and studying each card individually, looking at the pictures, and looking at the story within the card helped me. That way you get a feel for the card, rather then just what the book is telling you. I'd do this before you start doing any spreads. It can be hard to concentrate and get a true reading if you are hung up on trying to remember the meanings of all the cards. I'm sure it will click in time ;)

Arual

Guest Taemar

Hello all...

A while ago, I posted about being interested in Tarot. To that end, I went out and bought a couple of decks.

Beginner's Guide To Tarot (link to Amazon)

I was only going to purchase one deck, but I came across this one and couldn't help myself - I love dragons.

Dragon Tarot Deck (link to Amazon)

I decided to read through them in order, and I'm still on the first deck. The descriptions have plenty of detail, but can be a lot to take in. The Dragon deck has one-line descriptions which I hope will be enough for me to extrapolate the rest of the meaning once I've had more experience with the Beginner's deck. I'm rambling.

Bascially, I'm happy doing readings for myself, and I feel I'm confident in my knowledge to do a reading for someone else. Only problem is, how? I have my own technique for my own readings, but I don't think it'll work for others...

Advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Guest frater az
Dragon Tarot Deck (link to Amazon)

i have the dargon deck! love the artwork!

Bascially, I'm happy doing readings for myself, and I feel I'm confident in my knowledge to do a reading for someone else. Only problem is, how? I have my own technique for my own readings, but I don't think it'll work for others...

well most ppl say its harder to do a reading for yourself than for another person

(all comes down to detachment)

so along that line of thought if you can do readings for yourself you should have no problems doing a reading for somebody else!

:o_claps:

mystical_moon

ok so i haven't ever done a reading for myself or anyone..but to do one for yourself must be hard as you'll want to see what the cards say and not influence them by making them say what you want...does that make sence??

so if you need some practise, feel free to do me one anytime!!

Guest frater az

on the same note...

whenever you do a reading (works better for yourself than others)

keep a record of the cards and their positions and a brief summary of what the spread ment to you at the time!

when the time comes about... 1 week, 1 month, 3/6 months or even a year later... refer back to your records and see just how accurate you were!

this will help you to see just how good you are (or getting better) and also if the spread made/makes sence... and if it does not... then maybe try doing readings with another deck!

everybody has a deck that works better for them... than another deck!

maybe its the size, shape, colour or just the pictures themselves!

good luck ppls :o_claps:

Edited by frater az

Guest applestar

If you do a reading for a friend, make it very clear that you are still learning, and therefore anything you come up with should be taken with a hefty pinch of salt.

I know what you mean about buying tarot decks - I have four, and still wouldn't mind having a couple more. I find that different decks have different uses: some are better for relationships, other for spiritual issues, etc.

When you first do the reading, try not to worry about the meanings in the book, but say what the cards mean to you, write that down, then check it against the book. That way you will develop your intuition and get more comfortable with the cards. But yes, it does take a long time. One good way is to draw a card every day and think about what it means. I'm currently doing that with two oracle decks I bought recently, and they only have 25 cards each and it's taking me a while to get my head around the meanings. I've hardly touched my new rune set!

BTW, if you do lots of readings for friends, you might find my blog entry "disclaimer" useful for setting out some ground rules with them.

Have fun!

:o_claps:

Guest cygfa

If the technique you developed for doing a reading for yourself works, I would guess it would work for others. The cards should pick up your intentions.

I would give it a try. Find a friend that understand you are still learning.

As for tarot decks, I don't seem to resist bying them.

I have know now 4 of them (Rider-Waight, Osho Zen, Gilded, Druidcraft) and the Druid Animal Cards. I still have a number of them I have not yet used.

They seem to be waiting for a special occation

I still have some of my wish list, like the tarot de Marseille and the Barabara Walker one. Luckily enough I am not a fan of online shopping.

Good luck with your first non personal reading.

Guest Seeker

I think you should just go for it and do a reading... You don't have to be perfect the first time... I actually find it easier to read for others than for myself - I think when I am reading for myself I may read too much of my personal desires into the cards... When reading for a friend, I find it best to not knoe the question - at least not until the reading is over.. And yes, as a beginner I usually try to read what the cards are telling me first, and then go to the bood for a back-up (yes, I am that new to doing readings)... I've tried some Celtic Crosses but Oftenfind the reading makes sense until about the last two cards.. Those keep seeming to be out of the blue and don't fit the questions, I therefore have gone primarily to 3 card (past,present,future) spreads with very good results. I have been a bit shocked by it becasue I have always been a sceptic, but the reading I have done, while not always helpful in the iformation they give, always seems to fit the subject of the question well... I guess I do have to work on visualization of the question though because several times when asking a question the cards give me a reading that is most obviously concerning one of the people involved in the question and the effect of the situation on tghem - not the question itself... In each of those cases, the person who the cards focussed on was really the person I cared about most in the situation in question... Anyone else have this experience???

By the way, just for information, I have three decks of which I really only use one... My oldest is the Barbara Walker Tarot which I purchased probably over 20 years ago and never used... Now that I know more about tarot, I just find the deck "too powerful" for me at this time. Those of you who know it or have seen it know it is definitely NOT a beginners deck!!! The second one, by Cachet, I got because it has nice artwork on the Major Arcana and Court card, but the minor number cards are just the number of symbols of the appropriate type - kind of like playing cards.. Again, not good for a beginner (and really I don't think good for anybody else either, except fot the artwork). The one I use, which I purchased at the same time as the Cachet deck, it the Guilded Tarot - I think one of he best and most beautiful decks in existence (The Aeclectic Tarot site seems to agree with that assesment)! I love it! I have my eyes on other decks as well, but am really not in the market for more...

Regards,

Seeker

mystical_moon

Hey everyone,

I brought some tarot cards a while ago and learnt them a little but i haven't used them for a while so i had a go today for a friend, i chose a layout and wrote down what i thought the cards meant..when i looked them up in the book after, some of them kinda matched some of them were no where near..so im a bit unsure as to what this means...is it important to go by what the book says or by what you feel from the cards or what the card is saying to you??

I had my cards read today and was told i had a good Intuition about people and i'm never wrong..and i have to say i am never wrong when it comes to people and i was told to apply it to more things in my daily life.

Guest cygfa

mystical_moon, I always go with my own intuition. Books can only give you a general overview of the card. Somethimes they talk of the position in a spread and general themes of question, but they will never be able to tell you everything you need to know. Nevertheless I always compare my readings with the what the book provides for future reference. Sometimes it tells me somthing usefull, sometimes it does not.

Part of being a reader is practise, the other is good intuition.

which deck are you using?

For the moment I have two decks I use for readings: Rider-Waite and Osho Zen.

It depends on my mood which one I use. But I feel that having two enriches my readings.

mystical_moon

i have the Rider-Waite deck and yesterday i was looking at some tarot cards and i felt a liking to the old path deck. When I did a practise reading for my mate last night, she said it was pretty accurate but i told her it was my second time and to take it with a pinch of salt. Also as she's my friend i think maybe as i know what a little about whats going on in her life maybe that influenced it as well..but i'll keep practising, i thought my own intuiton was better then the book but as im a newbie to it and i read the book and saw i was way off i felt a little crap about it : (

Thank you for your comment. :D

Guest arianwen

personally i go by intuition, i feel it can be more accurate but go withwhatever feels right for you. i got some very good advice from another member of this site(thank you kim) she recommended trying out readings in a pub for people you dont know - just to practice, and just spend some time with your deck looking at it and finding what each card means to you.

she also makes up her own spreads according to what the querant wants to ask etc - then you know what the position of each card means.

Hope this makes sense

Good Luck

mystical_moon

Thanks, thats great. Although not really one for going into a pub and just randomly asking people to help me by letting me do reading, but i have a short supply of people who are interested except for a few of my friends. maybe i could practise on myself, or maybe do some for friends who aren't close by?? Surely anything is good practise!

LadyCatCrimson

Well, you could try offering " remote readings " such as to people here for practise - I think one or two folks here have tried that quite successfully. In a way it might even be more helpful than practising on friends as with someone you know well there is always the danger of your familiarity with them overlaying the actual reading. It's ok to do readings for yourself but not too frequently :)