Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Twilightdreamer1979

Tarot

Guest HedgeWytch

I don't get on with the Rider Waite either - it's never really felt right.

My favourite deck isn't based on the traditional major and minor arcana at all, but they are beautiful and almost frighteningly accurate. I picked them up in a small shop in Paris about ten years ago and haven't seen them anywhere since. (If you fancy a quick look I've put some of the cards on here).

Ad from Google

Guest Sherringham
I don't get on with the Rider Waite either - it's never really felt right. 

My favourite deck isn't based on the traditional major and minor arcana at all, but they are beautiful and almost frighteningly accurate.  I picked them up in a small shop in Paris about ten years ago and haven't seen them anywhere since. (If you fancy a quick look I've put some of the cards on here).

93551[/snapback]

de le triad is beautiful!!!

Guest wildwoman

Hello.......I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on the tarot cards. I am interested in learning how to use them and have been looking around for a pack which means something to me on a personal level...I have found one that appeals to me because it connects to my creativity. The pack consists of only 33 cards though and I am a little confused as the majority seem to have 76 I think it is, although I have come across a few others with only 33. Can someone explain why the difference and does it matter?

thank you for your time

wildwoman

:)

Guest Crow

I've never heard of a tarot pack with 33 cards; the classic deck has 78 although a few tarot creators have inserted an extra court card.

A good beginners deck is the Gilded Tarot, currently available on Amazon for about £12, but I was turned on to the Robin Wood deck by one of our resident tarot experts and I've never found another that I like better.

Guest Earthangel
I've never heard of a tarot pack with 33 cards; the classic deck has 78 although a few tarot creators have inserted an extra court card.

A good beginners deck is the Gilded Tarot, currently available on Amazon for about £12, but I was turned on to the Robin Wood deck by one of our resident tarot experts and I've never found another that I like better.

94757[/snapback]

Merry Meet :)

I don't think I have seen a 33 deck of tarot, but that might be ones with just the major arcana no minor ones.....I'm not really sure.....If unsure ask the (if it's a shop your looking at) shop assistant maybe they know why they have 33 cards.

Guest wildwoman

The pack that I am interested in is the 'Sacred Geometry Oracle' apparently it has 33 cards divided into three circles of eleven cards each circle represents stages in a path of initiation.............

wildwoman

Guest Galena

Oracle cards are increasingly popular.

the format is different from tarot, but the idea is basically the same. Oracles just don't use the same pictures.

Tarot is almost always the same, Major and Minor Arcana, and court cards, sometimes some cards are given a different name, appropriate to different ideas or traditions, but are basically the same.

Oracle cards work on a similar idea, but not within that framework.

Guest applestar

The classic tarot deck, which I recommend to anyone starting out with tarot, is the Rider-Waite Deck. The pictures are clear, it's easily available, and most tarot books refer to it. However, if you find a deck that appeals to you more, trust your feelings and get that.

Oracle decks are similar but as others have explained are not tarot and don't have the same meanings of tarot decks. For example, I have three different oracle decks - a Goddess one, a Druid Animal one, and a Celtic Tree one. All three are totally different in terms of numbers of cards, meanings of cards, and the "feelings" I have when using them. So saying, if a particular oracle deck is calling to you, go for it. Just be aware that it isn't a tarot deck, although very similar in function and purpose.

Hope that helps!

:o_bounce:

weatherwitch

I agree, they're amazing :o_angry: If I didn't have my Glastonbury Tarot deck that really talk to me then those would be fabulous, the imagery works, it really talks and what's any reader of the cards needs :blink:

Guest wildwoman

the set I have been drawn too is apparently an oracle deck not tarot cards.....haven't had much time to learn how to use them yet but was interested to hear that many of you keep your cards in silk wraps and/or boxes and that like the crystals they can be recharged.......

very interesting

thanks

wildwoman :unsure:

Guest solstice 3

I was drawn to the Rider Waite set immediately, had my first reading done with them.

I have quite a few sets of cards, Rider Waite Tarot, 1JJ Swiss Tarot (don't get on with them as much), The Sacred Circle Tarot (beautiful cards, haven't used them yet), The Druid Animal Oracle Deck (again beautiful cards and nice to use) and Doreen Virtue Angel Cards.

I was quite sceptical about angel cards but came into contact with them during a meditation class and found I liked them.

First thing I would say is don't use a book to read them at first, get to know them carry them around with you and shuffle them as much as possible. When you feel like trying a book maybe Tarot for Your Self would be a good start as that gives you exercises to start with, writing down images that come to mind etc.

I plan to work through the book with a packat a time but am impatient and like to use them all.

A friend told me today to make sure you always ask for protection from your Guardian Angel or equvilant when doing readings as you do not know who you are letting through.

My cards are all in thier boxes, except the Swiss Tarot which is wrapped in black silk and then a red velvet bag with a celtic cross in the front, as I haven't got round to getting the silk and bags.

Shakalah

My first set which I have to say was a gift was the celtic dragon set by d j conway, came alive in my hands the moment I touched them, all my others I have bought myself, including a set of angel cards. Usually you get a sense of what is right for you, so go with your feelings when choosing your cards, and good luck! :D

Guest fuzi

I actually bought the pocket-sized Rider-Waite deck yesterday as I'm gonna use the Lotus Tarot course to finally get myself to learn tarot properly!

I use the Brian Froud Faery Oracle, which is an oracle deck rather than a traditional tarot deck and have always had fantastic results with them. I used to have the Tarot of the Cat People, but didn't get good readings out of them. However, that was about 7 years ago and I might have better results now... just don't know where I've put them lol.

One thing I've never fully understood with things like tarot is when people talk about asking for protection before doing a reading. Protection from what? Your own subconscious? The cards aren't tapping into some higher power; you're not being directed by some mystical being to select the right cards... it all comes from your own brain, just a section of it that you don't tend to use in day to day life.

That said tho, I do agree with keeping the cards in something natural (wood, silk, nothing man-made) and regulary putting your own energy into them and keeping them charged. But I see this as more a way for the subonscious to develop an easy rapport with the cards to make it easier when it comes to doing readings.

Oh, and I've just ordered the Ferret Tarot! Its costing me just over £11, and that's including them coming from the States! :D

Guest Jane
One thing I've never fully understood with things like tarot is when people talk about asking for protection before doing a reading. Protection from what? Your own subconscious? The cards aren't tapping into some higher power; you're not being directed by some mystical being to select the right cards... it all comes from your own brain, just a section of it that you don't tend to use in day to day life.

True, but we do tend to be our own worst enemies. I know I need protection from myself!

Guest :: taceo ::
The classic tarot deck, which I recommend to anyone starting out with tarot, is the Rider-Waite Deck. The pictures are clear, it's easily available, and most tarot books refer to it. However, if you find a deck that appeals to you more, trust your feelings and get that.

I agree - Rider-Waite is a good place to start. You can learn the 'classic' tarot meanings - and will then be able to move onto other decks where the symbolism is a little different.

Also, if you aren't aware - they do a few different types of Rider-Waite decks. They're all the same images, but with different colour schemes. I think its 'Universal Waite' which i use - really bright and colourful.

Check out this great Tarot website. It's called Tarot Passages and has reviews and pictures of about 750 decks.

(Edit: I actually can't see the Rider-Waite on there but i'm sure it is. You'll have to have a dig through)

Edited by :: taceo ::

Guest solstice 3

Fuzi just spent ages looking at that site, saw quite a few I wanted - hmmmmmm new obsession me thinks, oh dear :lol:

Edited by solstice 3

Guest fuzi

Tell me about it... I've gone thru the whole lot and made a list! Just in case anyone feels generous, you know! :lol:

Guest cygfa

I also started with the Rider-Waite one and it is still one of my favourite ones together with the Osho Zen deck.

One the other hand if you found a deck that appeals to you, I would go for it.

It must mean something to you.

As for the numbers, the Druid animal orical comes with 33 cards with pictures and two blank ones. Those can be added if you have animals that are special to you.

mystical_moon

Well i'm using tarot of the witches - The pictures are pretty simple, but i guess it's just personal preference.

Guest solstice 3

Good site Fuzi, quite interesting.

Hmmmm well number one on my list are the dragon tarot, lovely cards, think I might have to save some pennies next year :lol:

Guest fuzi

If it's the Tarot you wish to learn - with the minor and major arcanas - then a traditional Tarot deck would be better suited to you than an oracle deck.

If, however, you just wish to use a card deck of some description for divination/problem solving/meditation etc, then buy whatever deck appeals to you the most - be it traditional Tarot or oracle. Just be aware that if you aren't learning traditional Tarot then you will be unlikely to be able to use generic Tarot books to help you and would need to buy the book that goes with the cards as well.

As far as the Rider-Waite deck goes... a lot of people I know dislike the deck. I'm not a big fan of the style of the artwork as I find it too childish, but I'm still using it for the Tarot course I'm starting as it is the 'classic' deck. However, there are many decks which are based on it and have the same symbolism in the images - the Robin Wood deck, for example.

I started with the 'Russell Grant Astro-Tarot deck' - don't laugh, they were a 15th birthday pressie from my mum who didn't know any better! That was just over 10 years ago, and since then I've also acquired 'Tarot of the Cat People', 'The Faery Oracle', the mini Rider-Waite deck (again, a present), the pocket Rider-Waite, and I've ordered the Ferret Tarot. I've kinda decided to collect Tarot decks! Don't feel you have to pick one deck and stick with it, even when you're learning.

Guest honeykins

Hi why not ha cards my link about tarot cards you will find lots of answers there like I did best of luck if need anything shout out ""!!!! :) :wub: :o :) :o_beer: :D

money can't buy you happiness, friendship or love but it would be nice to get a decent man !!!!!! :D B)

Guest pearlania

I think if you want to learn tarot that its best not to use a book, Just go with what you are being told.. And when it comes to picking a deck go with what feels right..Nine times out of ten the deck finds you....

Guest Lilium

I just bought myself a new set of cards today...I saw the ryder-waite deck in the shop and considered it but remembered that I'd seen some of the cards before and they didn't appeal. It's annoying that all the decks were sealed up so I couldn't even take a peak...thankfully a couple had some pics on the boxes that really spoke to me and I ummed and ahhed over them before choosing one. But yeah, ryder-waite...me don't like.

Guest azriel

My one and only deck is the Robin Woods deck , very easy to understand , nice and brightly coloured , easy to read as well , but since I have had these cards for what seems the longest time , I feel I need a 2nd set , Anyone know of any Egyptian based decks ?

Would realy like to own something along those lines :D