Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Twilightdreamer1979

Tarot

Freebird

Try Aeclectic tarot.

They have reviews on most decks, including several Egyptian ones.

Ad from Google

Guest azriel

:D Many thanks

Wished I did not look as I have seen at least 3 more decks , 1 including a Native American Indian dec , very beautifully drawn :D

Guest Celticstar

I've used lots of decks over the years, but my current favourite is the Gided Tarot by Ciro Marcetti, absolutely beautiful artwork and the imagery leaps out at you. I think they'd make a great starter deck as they are close to RW in principle, but very different in look and feel. I've found I don't even need to think about defintions when using them, it's like watching a film.

Also, I think the protection issue comes into play when you are reading a lot for other people. If you are reading well, then you are opening yourself up to the other persons' emotions and feelings, so a bit of protection can go a long way to warding off any lingering vibes. Sometimes the people you are reading for can have a lot of personal issues and problems, and if you are in any way empathetic that can be very draining. I don't think you need to make a big deal out of it though, a simple protection has always worked for me.

I don't go in for cleansing the cards, after all, they are just cards, it's you who does the reading.

Edited by Celticstar

Guest seg

Now i am learning a bit more about tarot reading :o_rofl: with a lot of help and advice from you guys :o_lol:

I am now interested in which spreads you all use ? and why you use them ?

Is it better to use a different spread each time we read the cards ? or do different spreads give the cards different meanings ?

Which spread is your favorite or do you find easiest to use ? and as a beginner which spread is best.

Many thanks for advice of the above matter :) It's all so much info going in during such a small space of time (but i am really enjoying learning about the tarot cards)

Bright blessings

sarah

Whisperedwind

As a beginner, umm 2 yrs, lol, I'm still just on 3 cards and um slowly :) working my way around to larger spreads..

Yet.... yet.. :o_lol: I find that 3 cards really does tell a lot.. imo..

bb

:o_rofl:

gypsimoon

I'm partial to the Celtic Cross spread. I sometimes spread all the cards out and let the questioner pick 10 cards and lay them from left to right in two rows of four and the last two cards underneath them. I've just started practicing a lot with my friends as I've forgotten so much over the years.

weatherwitch

99% of the time I use The Bird Spread, it is the only one that really, really works for me, and I wouldn't use anything else. This is because although if I may say it myself, I am a rather good tarot reader - my results are excellent, absolutely spot on :D - my goodness I'm slow at it :o_lol: :)

In the end I got rid of the tradtional styled cards when I finally found the Glastonbury Tarot set I'd always wanted, once I got those cards the tarot made sense.

For me and I think everyone the clue is using the cards that actually talk to you, if you don't get on with the cards, pictiues, inspiration etc then you won't get any further forward with the tarot. Try out a few spreads but not too many or else you'll get confused. I find for me the Bird Spread answers all my questions, some of them giving more information than I really wanted to know :o_rofl:

Know your cards, feel your cards, live your cards :wub:

I tend to be rather one track with the tarot because I have memory and concentration problems but this way works fine for me, find what works for you and stick at it :P

Guest JuliaOakmoon

I find that three cards tell me all I need to know and rarely use any more than that. Occasionally I use the celtic cross spread

Julia

Guest Blackie_Fen

I've used the Celtic Cross in the past, but more often tend to alter spreads to suit my needs; creating my own more often than not. Once you're used to how to 'think through' a tarot thread it's easy enough to do, and can often make the spread as a whole easier to read.

Guest Celticstar

I use the Celtic Cross spread if I'm reading for others, after 20 years it's the spread that still gives me the clearest picture, and when you've got an anxious client, clarity is very important. I also use a 21 card and once a year a 12 month spread, both very comprehensive. But, early on I think the 3 card is good as it's simple. Basically, just play around until you find a spread that works for you.

Shakalah

Mostly I use the three card spread, seems to work for me, but keep meaning to try the celtic cross spread, maybe one day.

arianrhod

Your cards will tell you which spread they want to use! My friend has twenty or so decks of tarot cards and uses different spreads with all of them! She tried to use mine on a couple of occasions and they wouldn't do anything but a Gypsy spread!

Guest Jane

Pedantic question time. After I've finished with my cards, I tend to put them all back in order by suites. Am I being anal? Does it matter? I'm assuming it can't possibly.

Guest Crow

I don't think it mattters in what order they are in the box, as long as you shuffle them thoroughly again before using them next. :o_bolt:

Guest Jane

Thanks, Crow. I know what I was being!

Note to self: be messy on purpose!

Guest seg

I am going through a particular bad patch at the moment in my life and all is not well :)

I am currently having row's with all members of my family over issue's i thought were resolved years ago but obviously not.I am on a new jpurney with regards to me being a pagan and they seem happy with that on the surface.Since i gave up smoking and became a much better person my family seem to be trying to drag mwe down and it's bloody working.

They are upsetting me all the time and i feel it's dilberate even though they say it's not.

I asked the tarot a question " How do i deal with this situation ? " my reply The hermit (wow)

Now i have a small understanding of this card.I am aware of the obvious answer but how would you guys view the card in my situatiion ?

I really need some time away from my family (this i am aware of anyway)and feel this card is clarfiying that but what else could it be telling me ?

Any thoughts ?

BB Sarah

Pomona

I think you've already got your answer. :)

The Hermit for me signals a need in myself to become introspective, to look within and if necessary take time away from those who affect my life so that I can see myself and what I need more clearly. It sounds like that's what you're getting too - I'd go with it. :D

Guest seg

I have started using the celtic cross and it seems to be working well at the moment i have also started asking one question and one card to get the answer and this so far is good.

I will try new spread but don't have many people to read for so will have to practise on myself :lol:

Sarah

Whisperedwind

Remember 10 miles or more!! :D

the farther : = the better, more peace!!!

Edited by Whisperedwind

Guest Vermilion

Hey sarah - my family have just moved house and I can't find my cards so you can try doing a spread for me if you like... Should test you. I'm not going to say PM me, because I think people might be interested in the results and I don't mind people knowing. Just let me know if you're interested on here and I'll give you my question and also - any info you feel you need.

Okies

x

M

Guest arianwen

to me the hermit signals a need to spend some time alone, looking inwards - as Pomona said. Was it just that card or did you do a multicard spread? if you pulled more than one card, its a good idea sometimes to look at the cards in relation to each other - make sense?

Guest arianwen

As a rule i either use a three card spread or something similar to a celtic cross spread - bear with me its difficult to describe. Its a six card spread

The cards get laid something like this

2 5 3

1 6

I lay them face down then turn them up as i read them.

Card 1 shows the past and the influence it has on your question

Card 2 shows obstacles in your path

Card 3 shows influences working in your favour

Card 4 shows the near future

Card 5 shows the long term future

Card 6 shows the eventual outcome in your life

I find this quite easy to read and the only times ive had a bad reading is when i was asking the wrong question and wanting a specific answer

I hope that makes sense

Guest Vermilion

I've found my cards. Only done one reading with them - got my sis to pull a card. It was the lovers. Had a soppy looking pair, with a weedy lad resting his head on the girl's shoulder.

My interpretation: someone may be relying on you a bit too much and calling it love. Mind you - it's hard to read for a relative or friend and not let your knowledge of them intrude. Eg- my sis' boyf seems v. well balanced and nice and they've not had any obvious probs. So I'm very unsure about my reading. <shrugs>

I need to practice.

M

<wittering again>

Guest arianwen

mutter grumble i shoulda checked that post after i hit post - the configuration of cards didnt come up right.

Cards 1 - 5 form the cross 1 and 4 are top and bottom 2 and 3 are the outer arms of the cross and 5 is in the middle

Card 6 is placed off the the side a little.

Guest seg
Hey sarah - my family have just moved house and I can't find my cards so you can try doing a spread for me if you like... Should test you. I'm not going to say PM me, because I think people might be interested in the results and I don't mind people knowing. Just let me know if you're interested on here and I'll give you my question and also - any info you feel you need.

Okies

I would be happy to give it a go if you stil want ? sorry i forgot about the thread and haven't been back for a while :(

I will warn you though i am not very good at others readings just yet but as you say it practise for me and i would want to do via p.m as personal to you,so let me know if you want one ?

Blessed be

sarah

Guest seg
to me the hermit signals a need to spend some time alone, looking inwards - as Pomona said. Was it just that card or did you do a multicard spread? if you pulled more than one card, its a good idea sometimes to look at the cards in relation to each other - make sense?

It was just the one card and it has been very powerful for me as when i took time out for myself everything around me turned to crap and i wasn't involved as i did what the card suggested and removed myself from the situation.

It has come up in two more readings since then and i think i now know what it was telling me !

Guest sekhmut

Can anyone suggest a good online tarot learning site that doesn't require the use of Rider Waite?

Guest Othila666

And what's wrong with Waite's? Works for me! :lol: B) :lol:

I would imagine if the course is any good, it should allow for the corresponding meanings in different decks. Which one do you use?

Othila B)

Guest sekhmut

What's wrong is I haven't got any! :lol:

I started on the course at magickaschool.com but it's taylored for Rider Waite so not much use to me... B)

Guest Herneoakshield

I don't know if you have had a look at Aeclectic Tarot, but they have various resources for learing on the site. have a loko Here