Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest seg

A Magical Name - Is it important

Guest Raven Blackmoon

This is fascinating. Do you have a source so I can learn some more about these old covens? :)

Pomona, i just like to read about our history, and to be frank I'm horrified.

Witches have been maimed, flayed, burnt, drowned, skinned, scalped, bled, gouged, shot, and tortured in numerous other ways..

I find it hard not to feel like a world wide HEX or POX on people who are not pagan, would correct the balance.. but i had to remember that "As ye harm none, Do as ye will" also karma would have a hoot kicking me with the 3 fold laws

Ad from Google

Pomona

Okay, I'm assuming you're not on a wind-up so I'm going to answer in kind.

The whole "Burning Times" and execution of millions of witches and Pagans is a myth that is perpetuated by people who want to feel superior and speshul. Millions of people were tortured and executed for being ACCUSED of witchcraft, but were in all likelihood totally innocent and simply poor people who got on the wrong side of their neighbours or got caught up in a hysteria and punished by authorities who felt they had to do *something*. There is no evidence to suggest that the vast majority of those affected were witches, never mind Pagans. Please, I urge you, do some reading of historical books, not pagan ones, but historical ones which document the whole witchcraft hysteria and you'll see that it was a social holocaust, not a witch one.

As for the karma and threefold law: getting your pay-backs a bit mixed up there aren't you? If you're Wiccan then yes, the three-fold law would probably apply, but it doesn't apply to every pagan or witch, it doesn't apply to me, and there are lots of threads here discussing that - have a look. Karma is an Eastern concept that is has only recently become enmeshed in New Age Western Paganism - it too is not part of my Paganism or of many other Pagans. I'm willing to bet my house that if that book you have in your family is as ancient and authentic as you claim it is, there's no mention whatsoever of any threefold law, or of karma. And if it DOES mention the threefold law, then I think we accurately date it to the latter part of the 20thC.

Guest Raven Blackmoon

Merry Meet,

I apologize if I came across to strong.. to be honest I wasn't really sure about everything..

So, I have recently put aside all my misconceptions on what a Wiccan/Witch is. And I have started reading "Teen Witch" by Silver Ravenwolf.

So far i am enjoying the read. I did my first ever Devotion to the Spirit today and I have to say that I feel far more centered and at peace than i have been in a long time.

I also want to say that i love each and everyone of you. And i have found that while reading this I have learned a bit of understanding and I now know what the Conical hat represents.

Love is the Base, as the base of all things, while each side of the cone represents 2 important influences, One side represents The Spirit, that which is life itself, that on which all witches/wiccans find the clarity and peace to help and heal the peoples of the world and the Animals, birds, etc cetera. tho be blunt ALL LIVING CREATURES.Now as for the Other side of the hat, this part represents Positive Creativity, Our imagination, our Positive thoughts and our willingness to learn.

I feel like I have learned a bit and I would like to thank all my brothers and sisters of the Craft. ( I'm not entirely sure if you will take that the wrong way, but I mean it) Thank you all for being here with me, as i feel as if we are all connected By the Mother and The Father.

I welcome any help in my training and my craft. I have come to realize that I have to be patient and to remember the Principles of the Law, the Spirit and Wicca/WitchCraft.

As to you all I say,

Merry Meet, Merry Meet again and Blessed be.

Raven Blackmoon

Pomona

Every journey has to start with small steps and has faltering stops and wrong turns and changes of direction. :)

I am assuming the conical hat thing is from the book? I have to confess I haven't read it.

Glad you're enjoying your leanings Hun - do you have a blog set up here? I'd be interested in reading your thoughts there on how your journey is progressing :)

Guest Totally_Goddess

I have been giving a lot of thought lately to a magical name and how i feel about having one.I am not sure i wish to seperate myself by using two names (one for mundane life and one for magic)I am very happy with my given name and feel my god and goddess know me as that so why change it ? ;)

I understand using a different name for internet stuff :) and i happy to have an alias(i think)But as far as magic work goes i am not sure ?

Is it that important to have a magical name ?

I am not even sure were i would get a name from,I had problems naming my son as i had so much choice :lol: .I think the more i think of this the more undecided i become and maybe some guidence would help :P

Did you chosse a magical name ? and if so how did you come about the name?

Is the name used for other things as well as magic ?

Any replies are handy :lol:

a magical name - it depends on why you think you need one I suppose.

I was given some strange name when I joined a Wiccan group a long time ago, it was to be used for, as Pomona puts it, speshul rituals, but for the life of me I cannot remember it, and like you, really did not feel I needed it.

I got the impression the reason behind it was so that it was like a code word, as I was not supposed to tell anyone outside the group what it was, some way of identifying myself, with the group and with the goddess, but it never really meant anything to me, guess tha's why I forgot it. Well, that or the lead "Witch" cast some sort of forgetting spell on me :lol: :D (just kidding!)

Guest Stormy

Magikal names had to be used way way back when the term witch was a sign of "devil worship". So the coven had a rule...

no real names were to be used only magikal names...

so if someone was ever tortured for being a "witch" they couldn't give the names of the other in the said coven....

I thought that was a line from the crappy film the craft. :ph34r:

and witch craft is still known as devil worship to the same sort of people now than it did then. trouble is its illegal to torture us now. well in this country anyway.

Moonsmith

When the mods met last year we sat with a very nice couple who thought Pagans worshiped the Devil - but we just used our ordinary names and risked it. No pitchforks, sticks with nails through or dripping torches yet. :D

Fortuna

When the mods met last year we sat with a very nice couple who thought Pagans worshiped the Devil - but we just used our ordinary names and risked it. No pitchforks, sticks with nails through or dripping torches yet. :D

But then they were outnumbered....... :D

Mike

Guest schizofish

I think of it as referencing different parts of 'me'. For example, I was born with a particular surname - just because I got married and changed my name, doesn't mean that my first surname is gone, it just means I have changed/expanded/experienced more so I have more labels. Currently I have my legal first name, my legal second name, my married surname, my birth surname, my 'magickal' name (although that isn't quite how it feels), my online name (schizofish) which is at least a big a part of me as my legal first name. It may or may not surprise you to learn from my online name that I am a Pisces. I also have the name my mum & dad call me, the name my best friends call me......

All these things are me, like a great big jigsaw puzzle that keeps expanding

Guest Teyrnon

It is sometimes necessary to adopt a persona for some magical working and a name is one way of doing this.

But to have a lasting magical name.... I think you cannot just choose one, but have to wait for one to be given.

Fortuna

It is sometimes necessary to adopt a persona for some magical working and a name is one way of doing this.

But to have a lasting magical name.... I think you cannot just choose one, but have to wait for one to be given.

What do you mean by given? Do you mean by the Gods, a priest/ess or from some inner inspiration?

Mike

Maeve

Why not, pray tell! I chose mine at one stage of my initiatory journey and it was carefully researched and chosen to reflect where I wanted to walk for a while. It serves me well to this day and I have no wish to change it!

Guest Teyrnon

In reply to both Naomi and Mike, yes I did mean to imply by the gods or by a spirit guide.

If, Naomi, you chose yours by careful research and its works well, then who am I to argue? You say 'where i wanted to walk for a while'. That is covered by my reference to a temporary name adopted as part of a persona. But names are not 'for a while' and it seems to me that they are given rather than chosen.

Fortuna

But names are not 'for a while' and it seems to me that they are given rather than chosen.

Thanks for the reply Teymon.

I guess there is room for both given and chosen names. Someone earlier listed a whole load of names which they had gained through their life. And I can think of names I have been given by others which tell me a bit about how they see me and a bit about them too. Christened Michael, usually called Mike, called Mick by all the Irish people I worked with, called Mikey by two people, Pike by a dear friend. Pet names by my wife...... rude names by my son, and Mikito by three quarters of my family. Fortuna, though, is a family nickname and one I chose to adopt for both my business and for online and one I am now known by by many people. So for me some were given and some chosen, but all valid....... and they form a sort of map of my life, where I am from and the people who I have known.

Mike

Pomona

Jape, have PM'd you.

fizzyclare1

i experimented with a magical name, and concluded that it didnt do much for me or the things that i was doing, so i dont use one. i'm still me you see. and when i go off in a trance i usually remain human, sooo i am still me. on the odd occasion when i have 'flown' the bit of me is still me, although i could not see my own edges or my body at all. it was just my consciousness (or soul maybe) that was flying.

Guest jape

teyrnon: derives from brythonic 'tigernonos, great lord (wikipedia)

richard: derives from old germanic 'richerd', powerful leader (www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning)

one gives newbies and acolytes affectionate diminutives neh?

part of pack tolerance/tribal acceptance lol

so how about 'little richard'

and yes the minor joke that could be found within that (by any peurile part of a reader's mind) is vaguely amusing and perhaps insulting which just goes to prove the point that names should be chosen very carefully - names have power! lol

Guest Audris

I always figured that if I used an alternative name in ritual practice it would be part of getting into the ritual mindset, like donning appropriate clothes or creating sacred space - another way to heighten and concentrate the experience.

I have never used one or felt the need for one but, as a pantheist, if I ever decided to use one it wouldn't be for dieties to recognise or call me by, but more to get myself into the right mood to practice. I'm not actively looking for one but I wouldn't rule it out.