Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest seg

A Magical Name - Is it important

Guest Quasizoid

Aww, don't worry about that Evermorelong, your name is poetry to me...after all I'm sure some are wondering- "huh, Quasizoid?! what kind of a name is that?" Frankly, I couldn't give a flying philander what anyone makes of things or not, just as long as I don't have to clean up the mess! :o_wave:

Edited by Quasizoid

Ad from Google

Guest Epona

If a name is what you want then change it I have many names - my secret one (known by the gods only), my birth name and my nicknames which include Brown Owl and Pink owl. I beleive that in some situations a name is neccessary. for example if meeting someone for the first time and being unsure of them i always give my middle name as my first name then I don't have problems.

Guest welshsarah

i dont use any magickal name. i just havent found mine yet. all the names i have tried to come up with doesnt feel right. im not that worried because i know if im meant to have a magickal name one will find me and allow me to find it. but at this moment im just plain olde sarah :)

fizzyclare1

no I don't have one.

Guest Penumbra

I have a name I use as a focus. In meditation and visualisation, as well as healing. I use this name, it's visualised image and chosen correspondences I have linked to it. The other name is shamanistic, given to me by a spirit guide and teacher when I had learnt and evaluated some life situations. I don't feel you need a name by which the gods can know you, that is as many have said, not required. A name is as I said a magnifying glass through which I focus energy, be it through my name to heal or an assigned one to a temporarily created thought-form - just an initial and hesitant rambling from a new member

Edited by Penumbra

Euthalia

I just chose the name i liked and would like to be called online, my first was StarBright but it was just one i had used on a few occasions on some of the paranormal forums, but with my fascination with Greek Mythology and also Butterflies i combined the 2 to come up with Euthalia :D

Guest badgersmoon
Did we ever find out what an "Earth Name" was? lol

BB.  Minty.  xx

167834[/snapback]

No, nor Earth People either... :o_headscratch: Maybe they're Elves. :blink:

No, I don't have a "magical" name. I have been called various animals over the years, and Badger seems to have really stuck. There are many people who don't actually know what my real name is. Even some IRL people...

BM

xx

Flaxen
Silver Raven thingy!

d005.gif

216316[/snapback]

B)

So it's you! Is it an elaborate ruse to keep fluffiness out of heathenry? :)

Edited by Flaxen

Guest wolverine
Silver Raven thingy!

d005.gif

216316[/snapback]

B)

So it's you! Is it an elaborate ruse to keep fluffiness out of heathenry? :)

216335[/snapback]

Damn, been foiled wall.gif

Guest Azurite

I chose my magical name because of my affiliation with the stone. It was actually one of the first choices I made on my path. It's is the name I go by in forums (original, eh? :rolleyes:) and it just resonates with me. :lol: I don't have a 'secret' name though.

Guest Lantern_Light
Depends on your point of view.  Some people believe that to know the "true" name of something is to have control over it. 

So, I guess its up to you if you wish to choose a magical name.

I have one, but I did not choose it.

It is known only to myself, my deity and my "group".

Cheers,

Webwitch  :huh:

112121[/snapback]

I have heard of this too and share your views on this and similarly have three spirit names that were "given" to me and by which I am known to deities and members of my "group" other than that I choose to keep it to myself with no exception. Basic self protection measure in case. I'm sure there are others that would view this as paranoia but "better safe than sorry".

BBs Lantern_Light

Guest Tas Mania

The Old Ones know you exactly for who and what you are. You don't need any name - magical or otherwise.

fizzyclare1

See, I agree with you tas. When I do my stuff, names just don't come into it, its just something that doesn't seem to be important for me.

I find it a bit distracting, ritual and ceremony, also have the same effect - too distracting.

For me, its like names and stuff create boundaries and for me boundaries are hindrance rather than a help - they are perceptual barriers that don't really do anything helpful (although I respect the fact that this may not be right for someone else).

but then I am finding that my whole perception about reality is changing also so maybe this is to be expected. which I am quite happy about really.

fizz

Guest Gryphon
The Old Ones know you exactly for who and what you are. You don't need any name - magical or otherwise.

216579[/snapback]

I find this goes for me too. I wear a special outfit when I do my stuff and this changes my mindset no problem.

Guest Ilya

I was never comfortable with the idea of taking another name; not only did I find it impossible to think of one that really represented me and encompassed who I am, I felt like it was a pretence. My birth name suits me perfectly.

Even choosing a name to use on here was an effort so I settled on a translation on the meaning of my name: Universal.

If anyone knows the gaelic for universal I'd love to hear it!

Guest SpiralShaman

I think like most people I had a Magical name early on, but dropped it when I realised that the connection was more personal. I understand why people would use or want magical names, especially the whole splitting your magical/mundane life. Some people may find this rathe unhealthy, but I don't try and seperate the 2 anymore. Its not like I take my beliefs and leave them at the door when I go to work or something, then put the pagan hat back on when I finnish! I too love my given name, it's a source of great amusement to those who know it, especially when they find out my middle name :(

On the other hand, I do have another name of sorts - A nickname which took on a life of its own, and many people irl call me by it, and many people irl only know me as that, which is Spiral. It comes from when I used to proffesionally firedance at nightclubs, and I've also used it as a psuedonym for some of my poetry and music. I don't really feel like it was ever me pushing people to use that as a name, just a few people picked up on it, used it and it seemed to stick. Kinda feels like its what I've become rather than anything else?

Again, with many other things, I think the most important aspect of this is self-identity.

Right ramble over!

Edited by SpiralShaman

Guest honeywitch

I believe that all names have certain amount of magic attached. They all have calling power and they all bring archetypes and reference points to the subject of the name, whether these be symbolic, family or spiritual.

For me, my given name has some positive aspects and some negativity that I am old enough and ugly enough to accept now. My Honeywitch name is for writing songs with and has been for some years, and many people know me as this (although if they actually called me it in conversation, I would probably laugh at them! unless it was really really bad manners!) This name draws on a lot of things and "gives back"...

Guest Kristofski

I find the concept of names and naming really interesting, and I've aquired a fair few of them in my short time on Earth :P

My legal name, and the name I use in my day to day life (Chris) is not the name I was given at birth (because of being born female). I chose it to be a kind of "neutral" name, because at the time I felt like I was at the beggining of an exciting journey of self discovery, and I wanted a name that wouldn't have connitations of what I would become, a clean slate that I could build my identy onto rather than defining my identity. Soon after I started using the name Chris friends at school (who did Russian) started calling me Kristofski, which has stuck, and now I also use the name Kristofski Kabuki when I perform (it sounds great, but unfortunately alot of people need to be taught how to pronounce it! ;) ). I have other names I've been given at various times in various situations too, all of which are appropriate in different circumstances. Many of my friends have different names they take on, either for performing or just when they feel like they're in a certain mindset.

I think taking on a different name can be a powerful and exciting thing to do. For one it can tell people about yourself, who you are, what your about etc. It's a way to mark your transition into different parts of your life. It can also be fun :D

It's obviously totally not necesary though, as with many things in paganism etc, if it serves you do it, if not, don't worry about it!

Guest CornishShaman

Hi, I dont have one! Dont feel the need, my own name is magical enough for me!

Guest Tas Mania
I was never comfortable with the idea of taking another name; not only did I find it impossible to think of one that really represented me and encompassed who I am, I felt like it was a pretence. My birth name suits me perfectly.

Even choosing a name to use on here was an effort so I settled on a translation on the meaning of my name: Universal.

If anyone knows the gaelic for universal I'd love to hear it!

224137[/snapback]

universal = (adj.) - coitchean

universe = an domhan (which sounds very like our word "domain"!)

However, the meaning of universal in Gaelic is different - it refers to "something common, common usage" etc.

Guest woozle

'scuse my ignorance in the matter but can anyone tell me the purpose of a magical name in the first place? I've read many time that that one should have one but have discovered i haven't a clue why. I don't have one and don't want one by the way.

Athena
'scuse my ignorance in the matter but can anyone tell me the purpose of a magical name in the first place? I've read many time that that one should have one but have discovered i haven't a clue why. I don't have one and don't want one by the way.

230154[/snapback]

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I think that people use a magickal name to hide their true identity, and some just like to associate themselves with their name. That's my guess!

Guest Pantheistkeith

From my understanding the use of a magical name is so that when the Magician or Witch is communicating with the spirits, in their realms, the spirits only have this name to address the practitioner by. This goes back to the belief that to know the name of something gives power over it. Leaving the entities wanting for a name in our dimension.

Obviously if this Magickal name is only used this way and never spoken of to other people it will by nature of the subject make that name truly magickal. This is why this name must be kept secret.

Guest woozle
From my understanding the use of a magical name is so that when the Magician or Witch is communicating with the spirits, in their realms, the spirits only have this name to address the practitioner by.  This goes back to the belief that to know the name of something gives power over it. Leaving the entities wanting for a name in our dimension.

Obviously if this Magickal name is only used this way and never spoken of to other people  it will by nature of the subject make that name truly magickal.  This is why this name must be kept secret.

230197[/snapback]

perfect. thanks

Guest Wulfric

I don't have one either, although a do have a nickname that some of the gods and wights use. But there's nothing magical in it at all.