Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest seg

A Magical Name - Is it important

naturemum

Some aspects of pagan practice require a stepping out from the everyday world and into a magical space, which is as often mental as physical, especially if it's pissing it down, lol. So if that mental movement requires an identity switch or enhancement then I think that's fine if that's what's needed to make the ritual more 'real.' That said, when people introduce themselves in the pub as 'Eaglefeather' I find it a bit odd :lol:

Ad from Google

Guest skye-rumer

im still trying to find my magical name i have an inkling to what it is but im unsure :o_hail: yep i do dither so that doesnt help me much ,but when i work its not my name that counts ,its my intent and focus on my workings that count :lol: :D :D :D :)

Guest Laineethepainter

I don't actually have a 'magical' name, I just use Lainee, which is a variation of Elaine, my given name. It came about through a friends young daughter not being able to pronounce my name and she kept calling me Laine-e, so it stuck. Everyone who knows me calls me Lainee, it is just me, as I am, no pretentions, no airs or graces. Plus, my parents never liked the name they gave me, in the first place, and always called me by various nicknames including; 'Baby', 'Minty', Flossy', 'Lamb', 'Sausage' and 'Our Kid'. I haven't been called Flossy since my parents passed away and the only person who calls me by any other name is my eldest nephew, he has always called me Minty. When I work, I am just me, Lainee. Isis doesn't seem to mind, so that's okay with me :)

Guest Veryn

I don't have a magickal name... I have been trying to decide on one for a long time now but I never seem to settle. I would like a name separate from my mundane name. I think my problem is I'm trying to get too many things that are special or have meaning to me into my magickal name so I end up over complicating things. Ah well.... it'll come to me one day :)

Guest spellbound

When I first started out I read a lot in books about the significance of magickal names and how to find your own, and I did actually spend some time really thinking about it to come up with a name, but then I realised (well, to be honest I'd been reading this a lot in books too) that magick is in everything and "all the magick I'll ever need is already within me" and "me" is me... I already have a name. Following Wicca helps me to develop myself, and I'm only one person, so from the point I realised that onwards I've stopped searching for a magickal name because I'm already named!

But that's me - if a magickal name does something for you, or you think it would help in some way, then by all means do what works for you, that's the point, right?! :P

Guest Sunrise

Arn't we all Earth People, If this has some other meaning i too would love to know more, i think the title is quite Beautifull.

I don't have a Magical name either though i have had several online names, before this i was called Aurora, which i loved but wherever i went on the web there seemed to be other Aurora's, before that i was told by a medium i was named Angel Light which i kept for a while and before that i was Hawkwind, but as i travelled along my path i felt like finding my own name, whatever came to me, and it was Aurora, Sunrise is like Aurora which is why i chose this one.

Amanfred

Its nice o know most of us dont have a magical name or wont tell if we did.

I like your on line name and its meaning for you is magical anyway. so enjoy it and your journey Sunrise and see where each new day takes you.

Amanfred

Heres one more. I hadnt even noticed. :lol:

Guest Raven Blackmoon

Sorry i had to read this thread,

I'm personally not one to jump in a say "hey" but if i feel the need to i will o_poke.gif

As far as Magickal names go... the only people that use my common name are people i don't know.. I first got my magickal name when i was outside on An Samhain... when i was 13 yrs old. I felt something around me.. something warm. Later when i went to bed i felt the calling of a woman dressed in silver.. you can all argue that the goddess is different but the Avatar of the Mother is the same.... For me she reach out pointing at the black bird on the tree branch and then point to a moonless sky... i realised that my name was Raven Blackmoon. As far as my training in certain other paths have gone I'm not entirely sure what path to follow though i feel the urgency to find one.. I have tried Wicca... i didn't fit in... meeting groups drove me nuts.. o_loony.gif

I want to also stress that Earth People are the people that Protect the Earth.. Our Mother.. everything comes from her and everything goes to her.. She is what we have been protecting our entire lives.. She gives to us what we need.. and when we ignore her she reminds us. ( thats my theory on it anyways) o_bolt.gif

Pomona

Which is fine if you believe in "A (singular) Mother Goddess" but the world - and magick - outlook is totally different for someone like me who's a hard polytheist and has no concept of a Mother Goddess or Earth People.

Who are they, btw: "Earth People" - I've never heard that term and would be interested to hear more :)

Moonsmith

If the Earth Mother you talk of is Gaia then don't worry - she is protecting us. While I dislike saying this, she will survive perfectly well without us. [i want my species to succeed].

Guest chatters

I don't have a magical name at all. Thought about, but didn't feel right to me. I have nick names on line I give myself and which my husband also calls me by sometimes. Chatters I use a lot and Arty cat, both self-explanatory I feel. My personality has been seen as being a bit mischievous and also cat like – i.e. loves being warm, sleeping, a bit of a night owl at times too, likes being massaged lol. So my husband nicknamed me cat. Later Arty cat, fluffy cat, lazy cat or any other names he felt like adding on. And I also like to talk and chat. Otherwise I stick with my first name. I don’t really get the name between yourself and a god / goddess or the spirits, they know who you are

Guest WinterRose

I have a personal name that I found (well, was shown) when I first started on my path, but it's more of a nickname between me and Spirit. I don't call it a Magical name, I call it a Soul name. To me (and this is only my opinion, of course!!) we all have two names - one for our body, and one for our soul. I'm of the school that thinks we are split into three parts - body, spirit, soul- and while the body crumbles and dies, and the spirit finds eternal rest in the Summerlands, the soul is reborn. I am of the opinion that our names are the same. However, I am not of the opinion that our soul names must be kept secret (some say that you should never reveal your soul name). To me, your soul name is no more magical or secret than your everyday name - though I only tend to give it out to people I feel comfortable with - just like my real name!

It's Silverhawk, by the way. tongue.gif Though most of my guides tend to shorten it to either Silver or Hawk. Silver if they're trying to wind me up, which some of them do.... (looking at you, Iskar!!) or Hawk if they're being more serious. I'm only ever called Silverhawk by them if I'm in trouble! laugh.gif

sleepyowl

I do/did have one which I hardly ever use as the persona of Sleepyowl has taken oven & to be honest suits me quite well although the guerrilla gardening persona is starting to creep in as I am Agent Wild Pansy

Fortuna

Please forgive if I am asking something obvious here...... but as a non-practitioner of magic I am unclear. Does a Magical name actually serve a purpose (in terms of magical practice) or is it simply a preference (because Ernest Bagworthy simply doesn't sound magical enough). Is a name magical in itself or does it enable the practice of magic more effectively and how? I really am not being faceteous here, after all I adopted the name Fortuna for the internet, but they are interesting questions.

Mike

Amanita

Is a name magical in itself or does it enable the practice of magic more effectively and how? I really am not being faceteous here, after all I adopted the name Fortuna for the internet, but they are interesting questions.

Mike

I've never found it necessary personally.

I use an alias online because my given name is not that unusual and is generally already taken.

Guest WinterRose

Please forgive if I am asking something obvious here...... but as a non-practitioner of magic I am unclear. Does a Magical name actually serve a purpose (in terms of magical practice) or is it simply a preference (because Ernest Bagworthy simply doesn't sound magical enough). Is a name magical in itself or does it enable the practice of magic more effectively and how? I really am not being faceteous here, after all I adopted the name Fortuna for the internet, but they are interesting questions.

Mike

Nope. Not to me, anyway. I know there is a school of thought that says that names have power, but I've never ascribed to it. I don't think it matters if you have a magical name, or know your soul name (if you believe in them), or not. Like I said, for me, it's more of a nickname that the beings (spirit guides and so forth) call me by. When i was first starting, it seemed important, but I didn't really know any better, and I've pretty much dropped it, except in the case of my spirit guides, who seem more comfortable calling me by that name than by any other.

Now, my online name is a completely different matter - that's one I chose just for the internet (just liked the sound of it!)

Guest Andred's raven

I do use one Its the name I use here, I don't hide it ever, my story is a beautiful one. I was 9 years old and went with my parents to the Tower of London, as you know, they have ravens there, their wings are clipped so they can't fly away, so they run around and hop about lol :) well one ran to me and stopped by my feet, I said to my mother, " look it Andreds raven" and my mum looked down at me and said " you are Andreds raven" but it wasn't her voice, she even said she didn't know were it came from, I was so happy, and all these years later allot of my happiness still comes from that, it was so special and I am blessed.

Guest Raven Blackmoon

Magikal names had to be used way way back when the term witch was a sign of "devil worship". So the coven had a rule...

no real names were to be used only magikal names...

so if someone was ever tortured for being a "witch" they couldn't give the names of the other in the said coven....

does that clear up magikal/magical/soul names for you peeps?

Pomona

This is fascinating. Do you have a source so I can learn some more about these old covens? :)

JohnMacintyre

Dear Mike,

I believe that a magical name can serve a useful magical purpose in a way that is somewhat similar to that in which magical tools can serve useful magical purposes. Most would probably agree (a deliberately provocative statement, I know :) ) that a very large part of the usefulness of a magical tool lies in the effect it has on the mind of the adept wielding it. In addition to the perceived symbolism of the type of tool, there are all the personal associations with magical training, work and experience that using that specific. personal, instrument has for that specific person. It helps to focus the mind, the subconscious and the will on what is being done.

In something of the same way, the use of a magical name by and for an adept during a working can vividly call to mind the history of all the magical processes and workings that led up to that adept finding, being given, and/or being recognised under that name, and all that they associate with it. That in turn may strengthen their capacity for the work in hand.

I don't think magical names are much like the pseudonyms so many use on the internet, and not only because an identifier that only a tiny handful of intimates know would be of limited use. I think it's more like a key or a trigger, perhaps similar to the very short, internal, slogans some of us use to prepare ourselves for particular mental, emotional or physical stresses. Not a disguise to hide behind but something that brings particular aspects of ourselves to the fore for a particular purpose.

BB,

John Macintyre, who doesn't use pseudonyms because if he did, he'd forget what they were and start arguing with himself on forums.

Edited by JohnMacintyre

Fortuna

Thanks for that John. Yes I can see how a name reserved for magic only might be a useful tool in focussing the mind if it is only used for that particular purpose. I have a number of cutters for my jewellery making, but there is one set I have designated for fine finishing (any would be fine but these are my special finishing cutters). When I am using them I know exactly what I want to achieve and so feel more comfortable and focussed. Mundane comparison I guess, but I think it works.

Mike

JohnMacintyre

Dear Mike,

Thanks for that John. Yes I can see how a name reserved for magic only might be a useful tool in focussing the mind if it is only used for that particular purpose. I have a number of cutters for my jewellery making, but there is one set I have designated for fine finishing (any would be fine but these are my special finishing cutters). When I am using them I know exactly what I want to achieve and so feel more comfortable and focussed. Mundane comparison I guess, but I think it works.

I think that's a very good comparison. Presumably they'd lose that very special quality and usefulness for you if other people could handle them freely?

BB,

John Macintyre

Badger Bob

Most would probably agree (a deliberately provocative statement, I know :) ) that a very large part of the usefulness of a magical tool lies in the effect it has on the mind of the adept wielding it.

In many branches of Druidry, a name is given at each initiation, often one in Gaelic or Cymraeg. The name is rarely used in conversation and not on the internet but it is also rarely used except in the most formal rituals within the circle. In one tradition into which I was initated the final name after gaining the final circle was a combination of the names given so far, so if a man was initiated as a Bard with the name Tupperware, an Ovate with the name Binbag and a Druid as Tackhammer then his inner circle name would be Tackhammer son of Binbag son of Tupperware. It acts as a map of the journey and brings back the workings of the first circles into the present one. It is assumed that the Gods know who he is and his fellow initates may call him "tack" or Wayne Fanclang-Bobelosian, it doesn't matter just as long as he doesn't go around calling himself Tackhammer son of Binbag son of Tupperware in public and looking like a complete pipewrench.

As for magical names in covens hiding identity, I don't think that this really hold that much water. It is usually cited as being from an age when covens met in seclusion in forests or on windswept moors and the only civilisation around was a huddle of small villages. Well I am from such a small village culture and I can still have a good stab at identifying everyone within a ten mile radius of my house by their size, shape and the way they walk. As soon as they opened their mouths I would be able to pin them down exactly and I know others who have identified me from half a mile away well enough to ring my mobile and invite me down off the hill for a cup of tea. I think that magical names owe more to the sense of theatre surrounding the various clubs enjoyed by Georgian dilettantes and popularised by the odder degrees of Freemasonry, the Golden Dawn and similar societies.

Moonhunter

Magikal names had to be used way way back when the term witch was a sign of "devil worship".

so if someone was ever tortured for being a "witch" they couldn't give the names of the other in the said coven....

does that clear up magikal/magical/soul names for you peeps?

That doesn't seem to have worked, as the accounts of witch trials all quote full names of people. Of course, we know the witch trials were political and hysterical rather than anything to do with witchcraft as such. but if the witch trials never caught actual witches, then why bother to disguise your name?

More importantly, as BB says, they only way you could actually disguise your identity in medieval times would be by joining a group of people who were entirely unknown to you. That's fine in theory, but in medieval times everyone lived in either small towns or villages. To get away entirely you'd have to travel a few miles. Most people would only have their feet to take them. How could they find the time to walk miles to a gathering, hold their meeting, and walk miles back, without being missed?

The other major problem is how they would get into the coven in the first place, if no one knew each other. How would they come to know someone was a witch if it was so well hidden through fear of being betrayed? And how would they meet anyone not from their locality?

so, I'm afraid, your suggestion raises more questions than it answers.

JohnMacintyre

Dear Badger Bob,

Thanks for the information on how some Druids take (more or less) magical names. That makes a lot of sense.

As for magical names in covens hiding identity, I don't think that this really hold that much water. It is usually cited as being from an age when covens met in seclusion in forests or on windswept moors and the only civilisation around was a huddle of small villages. Well I am from such a small village culture and I can still have a good stab at identifying everyone within a ten mile radius of my house by their size, shape and the way they walk. As soon as they opened their mouths I would be able to pin them down exactly and I know others who have identified me from half a mile away well enough to ring my mobile and invite me down off the hill for a cup of tea. I think that magical names owe more to the sense of theatre surrounding the various clubs enjoyed by Georgian dilettantes and popularised by the odder degrees of Freemasonry, the Golden Dawn and similar societies.

Having been born and raised in a small rural community myself I couldn't agree more. Nearly everyone knows nearly everything about everyone else. If you want anonymity you need a big city, and I think you're right that the idea of magical names concealing identities will have originated in urban magical lodges.

Mind you, even urban anonymity seems to have its limits. A couple of friends who were in London during the 70's tell the story of how, when they joined a magical training group which was if not secret then at least discrete, and headed along for their first meeting, they were unfortunately a little bit late. Having got to the door of a most respectable-looking house, in a most respectable area, they apologised profusely to the respectable middle-class English lady who opened the door and expressed the hope that they hadn't delayed the start of the ritual too much? "I'm sure everything will be fine" she replied "but you have the wrong address. You want the one two doors down. Lovely people!" :)

BB,

John Macintyre

Moonhunter

.... they apologised profusely to the respectable middle-class English lady who opened the door and expressed the hope that they hadn't delayed the start of the ritual too much?

That was before pagan time began, then? :lol:

tibbington

Dear Badger Bob,

Thanks for the information on how some Druids take (more or less) magical names. That makes a lot of sense.

Having been born and raised in a small rural community myself I couldn't agree more. Nearly everyone knows nearly everything about everyone else. If you want anonymity you need a big city, and I think you're right that the idea of magical names concealing identities will have originated in urban magical lodges.

Mind you, even urban anonymity seems to have its limits. A couple of friends who were in London during the 70's tell the story of how, when they joined a magical training group which was if not secret then at least discrete, and headed along for their first meeting, they were unfortunately a little bit late. Having got to the door of a most respectable-looking house, in a most respectable area, they apologised profusely to the respectable middle-class English lady who opened the door and expressed the hope that they hadn't delayed the start of the ritual too much? "I'm sure everything will be fine" she replied "but you have the wrong address. You want the one two doors down. Lovely people!" :)

BB,

John Macintyre

Sorry if I told this story before, many many years back on a wet & windy New Years Eve, I attended a fancy dress party dressed, in the local pub, as an Arab head to toe in my mum best white sheet. On the way home, from about 100 yards away, an old school friend I hadn't seen for about 10 years shouted Hi Ya Mart how you doing? I shouted hold on & walked towards him. I said how did you know it was me? & he said I can tell that gate/walk/stride anywhere. So you really haven't even got to open your mouth to give away who you are :lol:

And John, amazing how discrete someone's got to be to keep something secret from the neighbours :lol:

Edited by tibbington

Freydis

Too true. We live in a small, rural town. Some days I'll swear if I sneeze the woman in the cafe over the road is calling out to hope my cold gets better soon!