Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Moonlight Forest
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: Moonlight Forest
Sign in to follow this  
Guest baron22

Fluffy - What is fluffy?

Guest baron22

Hi all!

Brand new to this, and have been looking at some books in town. I have noticed the term 'fluffy' used on here as a derogatory term to describe some of this stuff. So my question is... what is fluffy?? Don't want to get laughed at at the till!

Ad from Google

Pomona

Defining "fluffy" is almost like defining "pagan" - everyone has a different view :ph34r: :)

My own take on it is that a fluffy is someone who has been pagan for a while, but who has never moved past the initial "love and light" and insisting that love will conquer all. When a good hard "Granny Weatherwax" slap will be more effective in the long run. Who doesn't want to consider the "nasty" side of paganism, the tooth and claw aspect because it's just "not nice". Someone who has scratched the surface of paganism, barely, and picked and mixed the pretty bits - the crystals, the Egyptian goddesses, the lovely bright fairies, the rainbows. And didn't like the look of the hard cold rock, the Norse gods of death and destruction, the screaming banshees and the sidhe you most definitely do NOT want to meet - ever, and the pitch black of night where there's no shadow, because there's no light.

It's also, I think, someone who thinks that Buffy is a documentary rather than fiction, and who believes that they too can do magic like Willow and control the universe. :D Or, sorry, my personal favourite, those who think they are descended from faeries or share a soul with a dragon. Bless... :D

Guest evermorelong

fluffy is usually a term to discribe followers of wicca. my aunties cat and the dog from harry potter.

Guest IanB

Fluffy = 14yo feminist pacifist vegan 'natural witch' wiccans (little 'w') who thinks a candle will solve every problem, that millions of witches were once killed by nasty people personified by the attractive girl in their year at school (because medival witches *really* "harmed none" and wouldn't have hexed witch hunters asses!), and insists that their rituals are identical to those carried out at the dawn of time.

..oh.. and any heathen who can't list their top 10 preferred weapons for a fight.. :D

Guest MKdave
Hi all!

Brand new to this, and have been looking at some books in town. I have noticed the term 'fluffy' used on here as a derogatory term to describe some of this stuff. So my question is... what is fluffy?? Don't want to get laughed at at the till!

131843[/snapback]

Was it not a three headed dog in Harry Potter ?

Take care

cern
.oh.. and any heathen who can't list their top 10 preferred weapons for a fight..

Not a heathen. But I would have thought number one on any sensible persons list would be their brain, number 2 their reflexes.

BB

Mike

Ffred_Clegg

Fluffy is one of those things that everyone can recognise but isn't that easy to describe.

Think about someone who is far too heavily influenced by newage, who is into the magic and not the ethics, who thinks that the most important thing is how you're dressed and whether you've got fancy tools.

White light, blue skies and little bunny wunny wabbits, that sort of thing.

Edited to add: Not like anyone here, of course!

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Edited by Ffred_Clegg

Guest IanB

The first person to come into this thread whining that we don't "respect their path" = fluffy. :o_perv: :blink:

Actually - I could go on all night with this topic!

Guest evermorelong
Hi all!

131843[/snapback]

Take care

131877[/snapback]

twas, almost certainly based on cerberus

Cosmic_Fool

Fluffy

i) Someone who is new to Paganism like a chick just out of the egg. They make mistakes, they learn and like a chick they eventually turn out to be a glorious Eagle or a bad tempered Budgie

ii) Someone who has walked their path but it has always been in light and never darkness. They think cats are just bundles of fluffy cuteness and dolphins super sleek brothers - they are incapable of seeing that they are both superefficient killing machines (though obviously not in competition - well that is the mackeral cats eat is no longer in the cetacean food chain). They think that all is nice and fairies are gifted with names like buttercup, daisy and primrose.

But most damning of all is that they a re unable to consider that they might be deceiving themselves. They either go selectively deaf or strop off claiming that XXXX is unfair and does not respect their path

K

Guest very

But then of course we can be called Grumpy Old Pagans! :o_perv: hehehehe.

There's a place for a degree of fluffiness, it's just the more extreme and ridiculous that tends to raise my eyebrow past my hair line. My friend will quite happily admit to the label of fluffy... however, it's more that she's liberal and prefers to see the good in people etc.. she dosen't deny bad things happen or the darker side of our natures and of paganism... so she is pretty pragmatic she's just a fluffy earth mother at heart hehehe.. mind you rile her... and she does turn pretty fercious.... I recall a spell she did on one bloke who annoyed her.....and ok it could be coincidence..... however the guy did loose his voice for about a month.. and only got it back when she reworked the spell a bit.

Fluffy she may be, but I sure as hell won't be messing with her... She's a Granny Og, rather than Granny Weatherwax.. but no less effective!

Guest arianwen
QUOTE(baron22 @ Sep 18 2006, 03:20 PM)

Hi all!

Take care

the three headed dog was also called Fluffy :D:D:D:D

*edit* my quote didnt work - what did i do wrong?*

Edited by arianwen

Guest polarbeer
.oh.. and any heathen who can't list their top 10 preferred weapons for a fight..

Not a heathen. But I would have thought number one on any sensible persons list would be their brain, number 2 their reflexes.

131883[/snapback]

Surely number one is the automatic targeting railgun mounted on the Lazy-Boy chair?

Number two is the beer fridge - I know that much.

Guest arctic wolf

BB

Mike

131883[/snapback]

Any weapon which comes to hand. I like lord Nelson's quote. "never mind the tactics just go straight at 'em." Would have made a fine Heathen would Lord Nelson.

Guest Sablemaine
fluffy is usually a term to discribe followers of wicca.

I think this needs to be cleared up (unless you wanted to seem anti-Wiccan)... Fluffies tend to take all their knowledge of wicca (small w) from Buffy or Charmed, and don't bother to do any real research.

Guest evermorelong
fluffy is usually a term to describe followers of wicca.

I think this needs to be cleared up (unless you wanted to seem anti-Wiccan)... Fluffies tend to take all their knowledge of wicca (small w) from Buffy or Charmed, and don't bother to do any real research.

134823[/snapback]

im not anti wiccan just making an experienced opinion.

fluffy could also mean magickians who dont like the dark or outside practice.

Edited by evermorelong

Guest Sablemaine

fluffy could also mean magickians who dont like the dark or outside practice.

134827[/snapback]

I can agree with that at least... a lot of those calling themselves Wiccan are those that read a book once and liked the idea.... the equivalent of someone watching 'Erik the Viking' and calling themselves Heathen :)

Pomona

Or even worse, someone who just likes Skol and Hagar the Horrible...

Cosmic_Fool

Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol.....

JohnMacintyre

Dear Evermorelong,

Could you let me have your bank details so that I can move £40,000,000 out of Nigeria please? I'll leave you 10% of it, honest! After all, as I'm one of those fluffy Wiccans, I wouldn't dream of deceiving you in case my karmic record got grubby and I lost all chance of reincarnating as a dolphin. :)

BB,

John Macintyre

Guest very

Have to say I really don't equate fluffy automatically with Wiccans. Book learnt or not.

It's those who do not do their research and simply accept everything they read. Coupled with silly ideas of life is nothing but love and light that I tend to think of as fluffy. Those types annoy / amuse me depending on my mood that day.

Take my friend again, some might dismiss her as just being another fluffy.. however, she is an incredibly intelligent woman with a large heart and a great deal of knowledge. So I do think we all need to be careful not be too dimissive of individuals who we label fluffy...

Also raises the question of discrimination within Paganism...

Hehehe, just to throw a bit of controversy in there :)

Guest severedsolo

It's those who do not do their research and simply accept everything they read.  Coupled with silly ideas of life is nothing but love and light that I tend to think of as fluffy.  Those types annoy / amuse me depending on my mood that day.

Also raises the question of discrimination within Paganism...

Hehehe, just to throw a bit of controversy in there  :)

134853[/snapback]

Very well put!! lol :lol:

andy9xyz
Someone who is new to Paganism

Actually "fluffy" can often be applied to quite old pagans.

...especially if they're left in the fridge for too long!

:)

Andy

Guest very
Someone who is new to Paganism

Actually "fluffy" can often be applied to quite old pagans.

...especially if they're left in the fridge for too long!

:)

Andy

134857[/snapback]

Nah.. that's just mouldy.

Guest evermorelong

Dear Evermorelong,

Could you let me have your bank details so that I can move £40,000,000 out of Nigeria please? I'll leave you 10% of it, honest! After all, as I'm one of those fluffy Wiccans, I wouldn't dream of deceiving you in case my karmic record got grubby and I lost all chance of reincarnating as a dolphin. :o_wave:

BB,

John Macintyre

134850[/snapback]

dont do banks but if you could come and help me sort out my allotment ill pay you in shiney gold coins honest!

Guest walessheeppink

Dear Evermorelong,

Could you let me have your bank details so that I can move £40,000,000 out of Nigeria please? I'll leave you 10% of it, honest! After all, as I'm one of those fluffy Wiccans, I wouldn't dream of deceiving you in case my karmic record got grubby and I lost all chance of reincarnating as a dolphin. :)

BB,

John Macintyre

134850[/snapback]

dont do banks but if you could come and help me sort out my allotment ill pay you in shiney gold coins honest!

134898[/snapback]

Sheep are Fluffyish :D

Guest severedsolo

134898[/snapback]

Sheep are Fluffyish :D

135022[/snapback]

especially when they have been through a spin and fluff dry!! lol :D

Guest applestar
..oh.. and any heathen who can't list their top 10 preferred weapons for a fight..  :D

131866[/snapback]

Hey! Not all heathens are blood-thirsty violent maniacs!

Someone has to be looking after the meadhorn.... :D

Fluffy - anyone who is sooooo cute when they stick their bottom lip out and talk about how we shouldn't disparage the "Burning Times" whilst fondling their dolphin-shaped crystal blessed by an Ascended Master.....I could go on but you get the idea.

I'd like to be fluffy but I think too much.

:D

Guest arctic wolf

Fluffy. someone or something which is unballanced towards peace , light , not harming anyone and including pixie dust in rituals because it has real power to keep the vampires away.

Sure, have peace , light and try not to harm anyone too much. Its the pixie dust I have the problem with. It only works if the said pixies have been eating garlic at the time.

Actually it's the unballanced bit I have the problem with. Peace is only peace if compared to strife. Light is only light when compared to dark. To my mind you can't have one without the other .