Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Moonlight Forest
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: Moonlight Forest
Sign in to follow this  
Guest baron22

Fluffy - What is fluffy?

Guest arctic wolf

Stormraven: Never concidered the dark type of fluffy before, but I think you may just be right there.

walessheeppink: You're a Baaad sheep. Do be a lamb and stop acting the goat!

Ad from Google

Guest LadyJane

[

quote=baron22,Sep 18 2006, 08:20 AM]

Hi all!

Brand new to this, and have been looking at some books in town. I have noticed the term 'fluffy' used on here as a derogatory term to describe some of this stuff. So my question is... what is fluffy?? Don't want to get laughed at at the till!

131843[/snapback]

I am fairly new to all of this as well but I can tell you I have run across my definition of fluffy along the way. This is when I am talking about pagans and history and they are talking about unicorns. I am talking about astrology in terms of the occult and mentioning King Solomon and they are talking about Astrology.com. "Hits head on desk"

Ladyjane

Guest walessheeppink

iM A FLUFFY SHEEP! :D BUT IM NOT GETTING ON A TILL!!NO SIREE! :D lol Love Lucy who is a light bringer sheep!! :o

Guest Starpoppy

As a complete newbie and novice, I laughed like a drain at some of the comments on this thread. My friend is fluffy with a capital 'f', but she is the reason I chose my path, precisely because she is so nice. I admire her, and would not like her to change, not ever, for anyone. She is truly the sweetest person I know, and would be whatever her faith or path.

I, on the other hand have a vile temper, and I am not above throwing the odd tantrum. Love and light is good, I try to care about others, but fluffy is not reality.

Sending love to people who have wronged you or someone you love is just naff.

My daughter was raped when she was 15, and believe me, if I knew how to cast an appropriate hex for the guy who did it, I would.

Maybe when I have learned a lot more I will send him a belated pressie?? :lol:

Guest arctic wolf
As a complete newbie and novice, I laughed like a drain at some of the comments on this thread. My friend is fluffy with a capital 'f', but she is the reason I chose my path, precisely because she is so nice. I admire her, and would not like her to change, not ever, for anyone. She is truly the sweetest person I know, and would be whatever her faith or path.

I, on the other hand have a vile temper, and I am not above throwing the odd tantrum. Love and light is good, I try to care about others, but fluffy is not reality.

Sending love to people who have wronged you or someone you love is just naff.

My daughter was raped when she was 15, and believe me, if I knew how to cast an appropriate hex for the guy who did it, I would.

Maybe when I have learned a lot more I will send him a belated pressie?? :)

149519[/snapback]

Revenge is a dish best served cold. If you let anger into your working it might distract you from your intent and focus.

Guest Freydis

o me there are two main types of fluffy, the love and light fluffy and the dark fluffy.

Dark fluffies tend towards the I'm dark, hard, hex at the drop of a hat, use blood in every ritual, etc, they try to be really frightening but come off looking foolish rather than frightening.

I'd add - dark fluffies often talk a lot about Loki (but have almost certainly never met him). And light fluffies have Buffy as a role model.

Guest elbee7

Ok so I've been reading and re- reading this thread.

QUOTE(evermorelong @ Oct 12 2006, 12:41 PM)

fluffy could also mean magickians who dont like the dark or outside practice.

I once stated i was wary of the time around Yule etc due to the fact i was not fond of the dark - that doesn't mean i don't see a need for it.

3) They think the Morrigian is a nice Goddess who is 'misunderstood' and think nothing of 'pick and mixing' their deities and rituals from different world religions.

I'm actually very fond of the Morrigan - for precisely the reasons "light Fluffies" are "scared" of her. However i'm not a "dark Fluffy" either as little can be gained from self loathing or loathing others.

I would not say i am an ecletic pagan but I am a "newbie" on this site and mostly at the beginnig of my own personal path.

At the risk of sounding like a previous post why are we having this discussion if we aren't trying to pigeonhole people, or have a "My GOddess is bigger than your Goddess" competition

I thought the point of being pagan was to live and let live, discover balance, be realistic and have a bloomin bold and good life?

Am i missing something or just another "fluffy"??? :blink:

Guest arctic wolf

With that reply elbee, I dont think anyone here would accuse you of being fluffy.

It is just that some of us find fluffies a constant source of amusement . It is not so much that we are better than them or real pagans and they are not. It's just that it is realy hard not to :blink: at some of the stuff they come out with. It's not my fault I am afflicted with that sort of sense of humour. Besides, laughter is good for the inner child!

Guest elbee7

I reckon my definition of a "fluffy" would have to be a cross between what Arctic said and a bit of what Dryad said.

Definately it could be said that "fluffies" are people who don't THINK what they're doing! Possibly focussing on what otheres want and not listening to their own inner voice!!

And also those who "read and recite" - blind knowledge??

Anyhow you cant beat this "fluffy" quote i came out with recently -

"Ally Bain has gotten a lot older since i was a wee girl!"

Hubbard was ROTFPHSL!!!

................and no wonder!!! :blink:

Guest lady_templar_99

hmm I pick and mix my dieties and use odds and ends of rituals that seem to work for me. I don't think this makes me particualry fluffy though. I've just never felt drawn to one particular pantheon and am of the opinion if it works well thats just fine and dandy.

What I am though is a lazy arsed pagan... I don't do much in the way of formal ritual simply because I can never remember when I'm supposed to be doing something. Usually I work little rituals and magic into every day activities like locking my door (although that could be OCD) or cooking and cleaning. Something that uses whatever is to hand and doesn't take a week to set up or rely on the right phase of the moon becuase generally by the time I've clocked where the moon is I've forgotten where I put the lighter for the candles!

temps (the rather lazy eclectic pagan)

Guest greenowl

Complex rituals to my mind rarely work

151296[/snapback]

Have sometimes thought this was just me! Rituals can seem just like a play or pretend, not really getting to the core of the matter. Even the word I find a bit distancing. Maybe it is just me... :blink:

Guest arctic wolf

Greenowl That depends if you are doing the ritual for magic or just for worship. The purpose of ritual in magic should be that you do it so often that you do it automatically freeing up your mind for doing magic. Almost like it is a sort of meditation.

Guest Whippet

well im totally new to all of this......

i have read books and varous web sites....

So i guess im fluffy

SOoooooo how do i change where is the best place to learn, what should i be learning??

Guest arctic wolf
What about the theory that ritual can 'store' energy over time adding potency to any current magic?

151306[/snapback]

It could be that or then it could be that if you always use the same area for your rituals the area becomes charged over time.

Guest Whippet
well im totally new to all of this......

i have read books and varous web sites....

So i guess im fluffy

SOoooooo how do i change where is the best place to learn, what should i be learning??

151304[/snapback]

Do you question what you read? If so, you are not really fluffy!

What do you want to learn?

151307[/snapback]

Well ' i want to be a tradtional witch which follows the pagan religon'

I have read kate west witches handbook, and just thought wow, this is what i want to follow...

The gods and godesses, confuse me where can i find more about them?

when doing a ritual, which ones do you call?

I have a few basic tools, and am making a cloak for ritals

i have being using tarot cards, which interests me

how do i be non fluffy, i dont want to be a joke, i want to be able to explain to people what religon i follow, with out sounding a dumbass, how can i find out more?

Guest arctic wolf
What about the theory that ritual can 'store' energy over time adding potency to any current magic?

151306[/snapback]

Newbie does not = fluffy. Fluffy is when people have been pagans or witches for a while and know everything because they read-it-in-a-book-so-it-must-be-true. And they never question the validity of what they believe , and stop growing.

The worst thing is that they seem gloriously happy in their rose tinted lives. Well I guess ignorance realy is bliss.

Newbie is when you are first starting out and aren't sure of something and make an idiot of yourself. Don't worry we all did it. You'll grow and mature and learn and do it less. But we all do it every now and again. It sort of reminds us we are human and deflates what would otherwise be egos of titanic proportions :o_rainbow:

Guest orchid

These last few posts have been great...just what I needed to hear today.

It's nice here!

:o_rainbow:

Orchid

Guest Whippet
Whippet:

I'm not sure that I would describe Kate West as a 'traditional witch' but then I'm not sure I believe there is such a thing as a 'traditional'. We don't really know how our ancestors would have practised magic (and I'll hazard a guess even if we did we'd find it a bit unsavoury!!)

I have come across people who describe themselves as 'traditional' when what they mean is 'hereditary'. Personally I don't see the problem with just using 'pagan' even if it is rather all-encompassing. Why feel the need to pigeonhole yourself? Especially as you are still learning what its all about (and that never stops!) Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking magic/witchcraft is a religion it is not, it's a practise and anyone can do it regardless of religion. Wicca on the other hand is a religion.

As for not being a joke, there will always be those who think paganism is a joke cos they don't understand it! If you want to be taken seriously then you have chosen a difficult path. That said it should be a very self empowering path and you'll soon learn the cosmic fool is as valid a player as any of us.

Some people, no matter how good a case you present will not accept yours as a valid choice. They will only be interested in a verbal duel where they are only interested in tripping you up with your own words. You'll soon learn not to 'cast pearls before swine'!

With regard to Gods and Goddesses, sometimes I call on them sometimes not! Not all witches use god/goddess energy. You could work with angels, mermaids, fairies, earth energy, elementals, local entities (ex. Black Shuck) so there is lots to choose from.

(One more piece of advice; if you decide to become wiccan, NEVER refer to it as 'the old religion'!!  :lol: )

Enjoy and have fun!!  :o_rainbow:

151322[/snapback]

LOL i got that bit...thank you

I guess i will have to learn by just doing

Pomona

I'm just grumpy! :o_rainbow:

But - and maybe this is an important point:

Fluffy acknowledges... possibilities. It has eyes-wide wonder at what could be, and I'd be the first to admit that as someone who's been on this path for a long time, cynicism can sometimes destroy innocence and wonder.

There's a place for being "dark" and there's a place for being "fluffy". It is all about balance.

Guest Nimrod
.oh.. and any heathen who can't list their top 10 preferred weapons for a fight..

Not a heathen. But I would have thought number one on any sensible persons list would be their brain, number 2 their reflexes.

BB

Mike

131883[/snapback]

The classic half-brick-inna-sock can surely never fail... :o