Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
mystical_moon

Pagan For Starters

Guest Tas Mania
Hi everybody am interested in following a pagan path, but am not quite sure where to start, I've read lots on the net but this some times leaves you even more unsure of your route, can anybody help me ? Thanks Karl

137041[/snapback]

Hello K, and welcome. May I suggest you follow Pomona's excellent advice, trying to allow you heart to find your path. Nature is a wonderful thing - it doesn't misinform you!

Also, try to get to know about your the place you now live. There is little sense trying to work with dieties/rituals etc from a culture that has no historical link to where you are, i.e. the land. I hope this helps, good luck. Let me know how things pan out for you.

Ad from Google

Guest Rattenfaenger
Just exactly what roots do you suggest reader follow Uncle Gerard to? I am intrigued. Just a little bit though.

137428[/snapback]

British traditional wicca? Maybe?

Cosmic_Fool
Just exactly what roots do you suggest reader follow Uncle Gerard to? I am intrigued. Just a little bit though.

137428[/snapback]

137441[/snapback]

Well either there, co-masonry or naturism :rolleyes:

Guest Tas Mania

137428[/snapback]

137441[/snapback]

Sorry mate, that's a contradiction of terms!

But B.B. anyway - x

Guest Tas Mania

137428[/snapback]

137441[/snapback]

Well either there, co-masonry or naturism :D

137453[/snapback]

YEE-HA!

Guest Rattenfaenger

But B.B. anyway - x

137485[/snapback]

Sorry, but I do not really understand what you are meaning. :D

davkin

Hi Karlc

In your trawl of the web did you find yourself drawn to any particular path?

Not much to add to what Pomona has said. Get a feeling for the pattern of things around you and how you fit in. Perhaps find a place that you can claim as your own, in a local park perhaps if you are a town dweller, somewhere where you can sit quietly and let the elements of nature get at you.

You don't say where in the world you are, but often attending a local moot where you can meet and observe pagans of all paths is helpful.

As for books, it is easy to spot the duds, as Cosmic Fool says by the velvet covers :D and silly pen names adopted by the authors. Before spending £12.99 on something in Waterstones or Amazon it might be a good idea to ask here first, someone will be sure to have read the book and have formed an opinion :ph34r:

There is a lot of useful information in the various forums (forii/fora ?) here in the Valley ou just need to find it.

Question everything you are told and be prepared to be challenged every time you express an opinion.

The ability to shed feelings of self consciousness or embarrassment would be useful asset when in contact with other pagans.

dav

Not sure about Odinic Rite GB though :lol:

Guest Jezreell

But B.B. anyway - x

137485[/snapback]

Sorry, but I do not really understand what you are meaning. :D

137489[/snapback]

Wicca is a term used in the UK to exclusively refer to the form of religion and magical practice put together by Gerald Gardner in the 40s and 50s. Some people claim it has roots in earlier times.

British Traditional Witchcraft is a term used in the UK for a form of practice based on folk-tradition and ceremonial magic. It claims a longer history than Wicca.

In the US and in some sources you may have used in Germany, British Tradtional Witchcraft, sometimes called British Traditional Wicca, is a term coined to refer to Gardnerian (and sometimes Alexandrian) initiatory wicca.

Wiccan practitioners in the UK are not the same as BTW practitioners in the UK. The US just seem to have, er, got it wrong...

Other terms you may meet are:-

Hereditary witchcraft - people who claim to have been born into witch families, usually for several generations.

Folk witchcraft - people who claim their practice is based on local or traditional folk-survivals or recipes, spell-craft etc.

Heathen witchcraft - people who claim their practice is based on the pre-Christian and early-Christian era survivals or research from the Angles, Saxon, Frisian, Danish or other Teutonic/Scandinavian times and sources.

Celtic or sometimes Brythonic (or Pictish) witchcraft - people who claim their practice is based on pre-Roman sources from the British Isles or sometimes the continental clans and tribes from before the Christianisation of the Empire.

Seax Wicca - a largely invented variation of wicca based on some people's interpretation of wicca with emphasis on the saxon versions of mythology...

--

As you can see, it is a complex minefield of words, so if you need explanations please just start a thread and you will immediately get at least four different versions of each group.

--

Jez - an Anglo-Frisian heathen folk-witch and shaper-singer...

Guest very

Ahhh Jez bet me to explaining the difference between British Trad Witchcraft and British Wicca... :o_whip:

Pomona has given some great advise and I do agree to a degree with Ratten too, while you need to get out in the land around you and a feel for it, sense any energies, learn about local customs / folklores maybe see if you can find any sacred areas, or areas that just feel extra special to you.. reading is great too. Don't just go for the bog standard pagan books either that you can buy in pagan shops or the alternative section in places like Waterstones.

Read history books don't just accept the incredibly inaccurate and biased "history" spouted by pagan authors. Have a look at folk remedies, herbal books like culpeppers, fairytales, learn to identify plants and trees and if you fancy a wand, then make it yourself, so yeah also try and learn crafts, have a go at making stuff yourself.

Look to your own ancestory, your own roots first, if only because it's a good starting point, in time you may want to branch out look at other stuff.

good luck :-)

Guest Tas Mania

But B.B. anyway - x

137485[/snapback]

Sorry, but I do not really understand what you are meaning. :)

137489[/snapback]

Wicca being a relatively new path, though a rapidly growing one, it can't be considered "Traditional". Traditional Witchcraft is something entirely different. If you do a search for Traditional Witchcraft there are some excellent sites that should help explain this far better than I can. :>)

Cosmic_Fool

137428[/snapback]

137441[/snapback]

But B.B. anyway - x

137485[/snapback]

Not so Tas.

British Trad Wicca is often used to differentiate from American Trad Wicca which in many cases comes from books. Other folks fiddle around with 'W' and 'w' but thats not as easy to pronounce in normal conversation :)

Kev

Guest Tas Mania

137428[/snapback]

137441[/snapback]

But B.B. anyway - x

137485[/snapback]

Not so Tas.

British Trad Wicca is often used to differentiate from American Trad Wicca which in many cases comes from books. Other folks fiddle around with 'W' and 'w' but thats not as easy to pronounce in normal conversation :unsure:

Ah.

Kev

137598[/snapback]

Guest walessheeppink

on the www.freewebs.com/golem877 site wot i mentioned before, it now says its teaching witchcraft for free!! :D cool :D

Guest karlc
on the www.freewebs.com/golem877 site wot i mentioned before, it now says its teaching witchcraft for free!!  ;) cool :lol:

137769[/snapback]

Thanks to all for your time now am sure I'll find what am looking for :lol:

Guest illuminatidred

www.freewebs.com/golem877

"Upon this the witch entered a kind of photism within the oneiric chambers,or hallucination whilst sleeping if you dont speak Chumbleyarian."

FANTASTIC new word:) :(

LUMI

Guest MistyCat
Listen to the land around you, feel it, be it, hear the Gods or the energy, let your Gods come to you, don't pick them out of a book because even if it does work it's a poor relationship compared to that of when the Gods come to you. Seek too hard and you miss the signs, but watch out for the pitfalls on the way and remember, witchcraft is a life long path of learning, damned hard work but worth it :blink:

94407[/snapback]

This is such a great thread, I've been reading with interest and can relate to many of the problems talked of by new people.

With reference to the above quote, I have read this many times, about letting Gods/Goddesses find you, not to pick them from a book.

I was wondering, how do they find you? Do they appear through meditation, prayer etc? Do you get an image of them and then you have to find out who that image is of? Do they tell you somehow, who they are? I feel a bit daft asking as it is probably obvious to some, but I haven't a clue. I have read books on the different Gods/Goddesses, and there are a couple that I felt I could really like and relate to.

Do I pray to the ones I can relate to and see what happens?

Thank you

Guest Herneoakshield
I was wondering, how do they find you? Do they appear through meditation, prayer etc? Do you get an image of them and then you have to find out who that image is of? Do they tell you somehow, who they are? I feel a bit daft asking as it is probably obvious to some, but I haven't a clue.

I think really it can be any and all of the methods you mentioned.

Moonhunter
I was wondering, how do they find you? Do they appear through meditation, prayer etc? Do you get an image of them and then you have to find out who that image is of? Do they tell you somehow, who they are? I feel a bit daft asking as it is probably obvious to some, but I haven't a clue. I have read books on the different Gods/Goddesses, and there are a couple that I felt I could really like and relate to.

Do I pray to the ones I can relate to and see what happens?

Thank you

159448[/snapback]

They come. Sometimes they tell you who they are and sometimes they don't. Sometimes you can find out, from talking to people: "'Ere, this woman in a green dress wandered around my garden this morning and wherever she went the flowers came aline. anyone met her before? who is she??", or you might come across something in a book or online, and it fits.

How do they come? Sometimes you get an image, sometimes all you get is the personality. For example, with one, I can see all around him and know him, but I can't quite look directly at him. I know the sort of clothes he likes to wear, that he has a taste for brandy, spends time in some Club of the sort with stuffy leather arm chairs, copies of "The Times" or "The Telegraph" ((not the Financial Times!) and listens with resignation and amusement while Zeus rattles on about some young woman or another. I know he drives a Bentley, though I didn't know why until a heathen friend told me that Bentleys have automatic drive, which helps when you only have one hand.

Sometimes one arrives and simply takes over your life. Sometimes one drops by casually. A mouse runs across the carpet but you have no mice in your house (and still don't, despite what you think you've seen) and friends or something else points in the right direction and you end up offering some jelly babies to Ganeshji and watching the whole of the Mahabharat, and then don't talk to him for another three years. :)

You can pray to the ones you feel attracted to, and one of them may come into your life. Or someone else, entirely unexpected might come along. Or a host of the buggers - usually when it's least convenient. Oh, and don't expect to be able to fit those relationships into neat little boxes depending on when you have the time. That's probably when there's not a god to be found. Total silence. But while you're working one whispers in your ear until you can't concentrate, or you get distracted while you're out with friends (or, worse, some crazy fit overtakes the lot of you and you end up doing something you know is weird but it seems like a good idea at the time), or one accompanies you when you're driving and you end up taking routes that lead you to places you never knew existed and experiencing more very strange stuff.

or perhaps, having read something like this, you suddenly go off the whole idea. :lol:

:blink:

• Like 1

Guest MistyCat

Thanks, you've been really helpful. I certainly haven't gone off the idea, it sounds magical.

Guest x-narry-x

you don't have to be ready when she says, you could start right now if you wish. I felt exactly the same as you before my first ritual, which was casting a circle, openeing it, closing it, then banishing everything including the circle. I think these nerves you are having are a good thing, just start on something basic and you will be fine. When i'm talking to the gods I have always put myself in the circle...but it's up to you and how you feel.

well i hope this has helped x

Guest Nelly

Hi everyone,

Ive just read through this thread & found it really interesting & useful.

Im very new to all this, Im interested in learning so the book recomendations are very helpful ( Im a book addict anyway :rolleyes: )

I have a great love of nature & feel most at peace in amongst the trees or walking alongside rolling hills.

Ive been on a nature forum for the last 2 years & I have learnt so much but there is so much more to discover!

Im not at all sure where this is all going to lead me, I have been attracted by paganism almost out of the blue & Im a bit daunted by it all but there are some very wise words on this thread so I realise I have to take my time & not rush it.

Im looking forward to finding out more bit by bit. :)

• Like 1

Veggie dancer

I don't think you need to worry too much about being somehow 'qualified' to do ritual or send your intentions out into the universe as a prayer or spell.

I am also quite new to paganism in any official way but also my whole life I have been doing things which now I learn could be considered a ritual or spell.

For example I met a really special lovely guy and went on a couple of dates but then he stopped contacting me and I didn't hear from him for weeks, in that time I started to make him a bracelet, it was a really complicated knotted pattern and I included a strand of my hair in the gold thread, it took me weeks to make and I just had a belief that I would see him again to give it to him, as I made it I just concentrated on him and how I felt about him, on the day I finished it I was just thinking if I could find the address of the place I knew he worked and post it there without seeming too creepy ;-) when he called me out of the blue!!! we are still together now after 8years!!

Also all my life I would collect things like special pine cones or leaves, keep them with me for a while and then leave them in special places as a kind of offering, or make a wish and let the pieces blow away on the wind, or let them be carried away by a river.

I always found these acts liberating and energising.

I am now also trying to learn more about paganism and peoples practices but I don't want to loose touch with what feels natural to me. And I don't think you should get too hung up on what people say you should or shouldn't do either. Not to say you can't learn from people. I hope I will learn lots from other people too!

Good luck,

• Like 3

Guest Nerdanel

Help Im scared. Im fairly new tlo Paganism having only recently become seriously interested in it, rather than just toying with the idea.

Like LadyAine in the other thread I feel really scared about becoming a Pagan and am uncertain what I should be doing and how to find my path.

I don't know very much about Paganism, as I have only been seriously interested in it for a few months. I really want to be Pagan from what I have researched so far. From what I have read on this site Im getting there. I feel a definate connection with being outside and nature and I care about these things. I care about people and have a generally benevolent and open minded nature. From reading these forums I feel I can identify with some of the people who's posts I read. Im not sure about connections with Gods. I don't know enough about the Gods. I also know very little about tarot, crystals, magic and festivals. There is so much to learn and so many seemingly conflicting paths that I am confused. I don't know where to start or who to turn to. When do I stop being someone who is generally exploring Paganism and be able to actually say "I am a Pagan?" I really want to say that. I already feel a sense of belonging being a wannabe pagan.

I havn't yet plucked up the courage to go out and meet Pagans in my area yet. It is something that I really need to do though but Im shy and dont know what to expect. Any advice info and encouragement would be extremely gratefully recieved!

Can anybody recommended web pages and books that I should look at to find out more information on all aspects of paganism.

:) :D :)

It's ok. For the most part, were all newbies at some point; since very few people have the benefit of being raised in a pagan household. Indeed, there are some who were reared by pagan parents, but generally, most pagans are converts from other religions (or no religion). Indeed, it can be confusing but your knowledge will grow, and sometimes at a surprising rate. The best advice I can give to read and study what interests you. If you are interested in a certain culture's mythology, pick up a few books on that. If wicca interests you, read about that and slowly over time you knowledge will grow and you will begin to have a broader understanding of how things work. I understand how it can seem scary but breathe and take as much time as you need to develop your understanding. There is no pagan entrance exam, you do not have to know everything all at once or somethings (if they do not apply to your personal beliefs, at all). I believe at once you feel like you are a pagan, you are a pagan. While some traditions do have required study courses/periods and initiation rituals, not all do. Any even in the case of these types of memberships, I believe that these training periods are only to prepare you to take part in that particular groups activities and not your "pagan" trail period. I generally see people who are in the midst of such training programs as already pagan. (MHO)

In addition, I do not see not knowingly certain things as excluding anyone from calling themselves pagan. There are countless flavors of paganism and not all pagans practice or even believe all aspects of pagan beliefs. I have considered myself pagan for nearly ten years and I know zilch about tarot or crystals, because I have no interest in either of these branches of study and I doubt I ever will. There are no set group of festivals that every pagan celebrate. While the most common festivals are the eight festivals of "the wheel of the year", some pagans only celebrate a few of them, some celebrate none of them and some traditions have their own. And even among those which do celebrate sabbats, not all celebrate the same way.

So after all this rambling :P the short of it is: take your time and you'll find you way. :)

And this is a great place to ask questions when they crop up.

• Like 2