Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kitchenwitch

Mixing Pantheons - Gods from different Pantheons?

Rain

Tis a shame we aint all as good as you init eh :o

Rain

Ad from Google

Guest wolverine
Hiya kitchenwitch :o_perv:

It's true that I addressed my question to witches rather than pagans but that was because I thought I understood that all witches were pagan but not all pagans were witches. I apologise for this misunderstanding 

I obviously still have an awful lot to learn and I am grateful to all of you for your thoughts and advice.

Blessed Be

Its an iffy area that..lol... i have a few friends that are witches that have no spiritual beliefs. They wouldn't classify themselves as Pagans at all, though they are very obviously witches. An like you say there are plenty o pagans that ain't witches too.

Half the struggle o this thread comes from the fact that different witches from different pagan paths have their own path related way o doing magiks. In a general pagan forum there ain't ever gonna be an agreement on it..lol

As your original post were about using deity from two separate paths then im assuming that your path is quite eclectic at the moment, an you are following your own path.

My post were a warning that things might not always turn out as you hope with the said powers that be.

I would be deeply interested to know from Rain the circumstances and the consequences of the workings which prompted her to give this caution.

Hiya Julai :o_perv:...its a orrible tale...an not one i am particularly proud o, but i learn me lesson the hard way. I aint one to give out caution for somin i aint experienced afor, believe me.

I think you slightly got wrong end o the stick in regards to ' attitude towards magik or personality o the worker' or maybe in a round about way that is right.

I have always held my deity in deep respect, an i came to using magik through them.

When a witch has a deity that works a magikal path an you dedicate yourself to that deity, then as a votary o that deity you take upon yourself to learn their ways an what it mean to be a witch o that Deity's path.

If that path involve magik, then its up to you to learn the damn magiks init!

Starting off with a deity o a magikal path is like being a wee baby...at first you are dependant on your mother, mothers milk, mothers protection an mothers advice, but there come a time that mother have to shove the young out the nest an let them sink or swim...fend for themselves. No more hanging on mothers skirt strings. Any decent mother takes pride at raising their young to be independent o them.

I will tell ya somin for nothing...if they gonna give you the motherly shove, they don't half choose the most opportune moment :o

Now the embarrassing bit...erk

There were me..all smug an tucked up under the wings o me goddess, quite happy an comforted in evoking them in magik, everything going swimmingly, an then the shit hit the fan!

It were no normal shit,, this were life or death shit....i needed to do pull off some damn good mojo or there were a life at stake. A life that were as dear to me as me own.

I set to work...i invoked on the deity responsible for such life or death business an ended up all bar having a fist fight with said deity. My respectful ritual that i had become accustomed to, felt dark this time, it got physical an a few other things happened. What ever i were left with no doubt that i had been told to "sod off"...if i wanted it doing then to "Do it myself".

Were a nasty shock but being a stubborn ol witch i dug me heels in an worked me way through it on me own.

Make me cringe when i think back to it...at the end o the day it were no more than i dedicated meself to do in the first place... i dedicated meself to learn the magiks. If you take up with a magikal deity its the bloody least you can do init. :D

I had learned the magiks, i had just got to used to the comfort o evoking my deity in ritual..an that wasn't the deal i agreed too when i dedicated meself to that deity in the first place...my bad for hanging on to the skirt string to long.

I did the magiks, worked real good too, :o_perv: just me on me tod, no deity, no assistance ,,,having faith in your deity is one thing, but more importantly is having faith to let go an have faith in your own unassisted magiks. To have faith in your ability to be a witch in your own right. Only then can you be truly effective.

Is it not truly the responsibility o every witch to be a witch in their own right? To stand on their own two feet as a witch an do the magiks themselves!.

What use are we to the powers that be if we leave ourselves at their mercy always? How easy is it to blame a failed magik task to not being the will o the gods, when in effect we really didn't do it properly an just use our failures as scape goats o their will.

I might have learned the hard way... but i learnt.

I use every lesson they ever taught me, i pull out all the stops. Now i can call meself a witch o my deity, a witch o my path with the knowing that i can do what it takes to make ends meet , with or without their assistance....an thats what i dedicated meself to do in the first place.

Were a hard lesson..but i got there eventually. Be your own witch, do your own magiks or be at the mercy o the powers that be.

Hope that explain thing a bit better Julai.

Rain

153282[/snapback]

Well my craft path was a reverse to what happened to you Rain. I tried to work a crafting in a life threatening situation alone without aid and this had a devastating effect on me!

I guess we are all different and experience things in a way that fate has set us !

In Frith

wolverine

Rain

Now there's an interesting thing :o

Buggers aint they.,,,see.

Rain

Edited by Rain

Guest Kitchenwitch
Hiya kitchenwitch :D

It's true that I addressed my question to witches rather than pagans but that was because I thought I understood that all witches were pagan but not all pagans were witches. I apologise for this misunderstanding 

I obviously still have an awful lot to learn and I am grateful to all of you for your thoughts and advice.

Blessed Be

Its an iffy area that..lol... i have a few friends that are witches that have no spiritual beliefs. They wouldn't classify themselves as Pagans at all, though they are very obviously witches. An like you say there are plenty o pagans that ain't witches too.

Half the struggle o this thread comes from the fact that different witches from different pagan paths have their own path related way o doing magiks. In a general pagan forum there ain't ever gonna be an agreement on it..lol

As your original post were about using deity from two separate paths then im assuming that your path is quite eclectic at the moment, an you are following your own path.

My post were a warning that things might not always turn out as you hope with the said powers that be.

I would be deeply interested to know from Rain the circumstances and the consequences of the workings which prompted her to give this caution.

Hiya Julai :)...its a orrible tale...an not one i am particularly proud o, but i learn me lesson the hard way. I aint one to give out caution for somin i aint experienced afor, believe me.

I think you slightly got wrong end o the stick in regards to ' attitude towards magik or personality o the worker' or maybe in a round about way that is right.

I have always held my deity in deep respect, an i came to using magik through them.

When a witch has a deity that works a magikal path an you dedicate yourself to that deity, then as a votary o that deity you take upon yourself to learn their ways an what it mean to be a witch o that Deity's path.

If that path involve magik, then its up to you to learn the damn magiks init!

Starting off with a deity o a magikal path is like being a wee baby...at first you are dependant on your mother, mothers milk, mothers protection an mothers advice, but there come a time that mother have to shove the young out the nest an let them sink or swim...fend for themselves. No more hanging on mothers skirt strings. Any decent mother takes pride at raising their young to be independent o them.

I will tell ya somin for nothing...if they gonna give you the motherly shove, they don't half choose the most opportune moment :lol:

Now the embarrassing bit...erk

There were me..all smug an tucked up under the wings o me goddess, quite happy an comforted in evoking them in magik, everything going swimmingly, an then the shit hit the fan!

It were no normal shit,, this were life or death shit....i needed to do pull off some damn good mojo or there were a life at stake. A life that were as dear to me as me own.

I set to work...i invoked on the deity responsible for such life or death business an ended up all bar having a fist fight with said deity. My respectful ritual that i had become accustomed to, felt dark this time, it got physical an a few other things happened. What ever i were left with no doubt that i had been told to "sod off"...if i wanted it doing then to "Do it myself".

Were a nasty shock but being a stubborn ol witch i dug me heels in an worked me way through it on me own.

Make me cringe when i think back to it...at the end o the day it were no more than i dedicated meself to do in the first place... i dedicated meself to learn the magiks. If you take up with a magikal deity its the bloody least you can do init. :lol:

I had learned the magiks, i had just got to used to the comfort o evoking my deity in ritual..an that wasn't the deal i agreed too when i dedicated meself to that deity in the first place...my bad for hanging on to the skirt string to long.

I did the magiks, worked real good too, :) just me on me tod, no deity, no assistance ,,,having faith in your deity is one thing, but more importantly is having faith to let go an have faith in your own unassisted magiks. To have faith in your ability to be a witch in your own right. Only then can you be truly effective.

Is it not truly the responsibility o every witch to be a witch in their own right? To stand on their own two feet as a witch an do the magiks themselves!.

What use are we to the powers that be if we leave ourselves at their mercy always? How easy is it to blame a failed magik task to not being the will o the gods, when in effect we really didn't do it properly an just use our failures as scape goats o their will.

I might have learned the hard way... but i learnt.

I use every lesson they ever taught me, i pull out all the stops. Now i can call meself a witch o my deity, a witch o my path with the knowing that i can do what it takes to make ends meet , with or without their assistance....an thats what i dedicated meself to do in the first place.

Were a hard lesson..but i got there eventually. Be your own witch, do your own magiks or be at the mercy o the powers that be.

Hope that explain thing a bit better Julai.

Rain

153282[/snapback]

Well my craft path was a reverse to what happened to you Rain. I tried to work a crafting in a life threatening situation alone without aid and this had a devastating effect on me!

I guess we are all different and experience things in a way that fate has set us !

In Frith

wolverine

153288[/snapback]

Thanks Rain and Wolverine. I think I've arrived at a place where I need to take stock of what I believe and what I hope to do! All your comments were very helpful and yours Rain were a bit scary,so I think I need to go back to the books to clarify and simplify. If I am learning anything about witchcraft and paganism it's that no two solitaries or covens are the same and that we each need to cut our own path through the forest :D Yours was definately a cautionary tale Rain. Thankyou for sharing it.

Blessed be

Guest Julai

Thanks Rain. Brilliantly set forth! I am getting an idea now of different capabilities for different paths. Perhaps sometimes help from deities is appropriate, and sometimes not, and in fact the only way to find out is to try it and take note of what happens.

Guest treehugger

My tuppence worth!.I happen to look at it a bit like the old "free will " idea.

Yes, there are my deities, yes im learning witchraft as a solitayr witch, that is my path. I give thanks I ask for guidance, i meditate etc.

yes, they MAY intervene at imes, but how i conduct myself is my own free will, i have been given that choice as have we all.

I agree with Rains idea about the apron strings thing. I do believe we reacha point where we ask for less and give a bit more. BUt it all comes down to free will.

They are there to help, to guide, to teach, and sometimes to incoke, but we have our won free will and we rise or fall by that.

Oh, this isn tcoming out as eloquently as i intended!!! hope it makes some kind of sense.

Was thinking about the Christian idea that God is around us and intervenes at times, but basically we are at our own mercy. Now do you see where im going????

tree x

Guest Kitchenwitch
My tuppence worth!.I happen to look at it a bit like the old "free will " idea.

Yes, there are my deities, yes im learning witchraft as a solitayr witch, that is my path. I give thanks I ask for guidance, i meditate etc.

yes, they MAY intervene at imes, but how i conduct myself is my own free will, i have been given that choice as have we all.

I agree with Rains idea about the apron strings thing. I do believe we reacha point where we ask for less and give a bit more. BUt it all comes down to free will.

They are there to help, to guide, to teach, and sometimes to incoke, but we have our won free will and we rise or fall by that.

Oh, this isn tcoming out as eloquently as i intended!!! hope it makes some kind of sense.

Was thinking about the Christian idea that God is around us and intervenes at times, but basically we are at our own mercy. Now do you see where im going????

tree x

154423[/snapback]

Thanks tree

Yes I think I understand that and I think its time I got out of the babywalker! Lol!

Thanks to all of you. I learned a lot here.

Blessings

Kate :rolleyes:

Moonhunter

Oh, my. What a range of experiences. What can I add?

When I started off I worked by myself. Then, gradually, I began to work with my gods. That partly came from spending more time with them and partly from doing a lot less magic. And the magic I did with them being a lot more effective.

That doesn't mean I work with the same ones every time. For one thing, at least one is a complete bugger and wants me to go a bit further than I might feel I want to go on every occasion. Not that that detracts from the effectivity (in fact, as a friend recently said when we were discussing helping someone else who had asked for our help and a certain god offered - if this works, it will be FAST, that being the nature of that god).

For another, I'm in the extremely embarassing position of being a hard polytheist (i.e. every god is particular and distinct and NOT an aspect or archetype who takes differene tnames in different cultures) who was 'claimed' by one god about 18 months ago who said to me, in no uncertain terms "actually, I've been around long enough and in enough places that I have quite a few names". And yes <groan> that includes Herne. So we agreed on a name I could call him as I refused point blank to use the 'normal' ones. But he's so easy going he's willing to work with all the other gods I work with - and especially with the tricky sod. :o_bounce3: In fact, they seem to work well together and have prompted me to do something when asked when I might not have done anything.

So I guess, in the end, it comes down to the individual: your relationship with your gods (or without them) and where you are in practising magic. It seems to me there are no rights or wrongs. I prefer to work with wyrd - with the way, if you like, the energy flows. And, using whatever way we care to express it, I have met pagans of many faiths who work the same way. Some with gods, some without. Working against wyrd (and, for me, my gods tell me, in part, whether I'm trying to do that) can be an uphill struggle. Much better, IME, 'to go with the flow'. However you conceptualise that to yourself.

And to be true to yourself. So, if some god leans over your shoulder and suggests "Hey, wouldn't it be a lot more effective if you did it my way?" and you think: "Er...no thanks", then go with the gut reaction. :o_bounce2:

Guest Kitchenwitch

I've been around long enough and in enough places that I have quite a few names". And yes <groan> that includes Herne. So we agreed on a name I could call him as I refused point blank to use the 'normal' ones. But he's so easy going he's willing to work with all the other gods I work with - and especially with the tricky sod. In fact, they seem to work well together

Thanks for that Moonhunter! I found your experience interesting and yes I will go with how it feels. My personal practice of the Craft is uncomplicated so I just work with the two gods and I feel much better about that now. Thanks again

B)

Guest Earthborn

Can I throw a spanner, if only to see where it flies back out? :-)

At present (all things being on the move) I see all the many gods as different facets of the same one male god and one female goddess, so one cannot invoke a particular god/dess of a particular pantheon as they all point to the same Divine.

It is however possible to meditate upon one character of a particular god or goddess while seeking help from the Divine God or Goddess, to help us concentrate on a particular aspect of their natures; bearing in mind that their higher wisdom may mean that a completely or subtley different nature may show forth, according to what they know we need rather than what we think we would like. Of course this is only my personal opinion, which develops as I grow.

And what is all this invoking anyway? Sounds a bit like prodding a caged animal for a response. You may learn to your dismay that Gods may not wish to be invoked and would quite like to be asked respectfully, even worshipped a bit!

I think my view is a bit like the Hindu faith, where there are many gods/goddesses, but only one Krishna; many windows looking into one scene. I like this because I can leave it to the infinite wisdom of god and goddess how they can best help me in my request, rather than invoking who I feel is right for the job.

I would rather have my divine Father and Mother envelope me with their infinite wisdom and grant me what is exactly right for me in relation to the best interests of the rest of the world, than be responsible for a complete muck-up because I insisted on being in the driver's seat - a god-tamer even!

<sits back to watch the fur fly> :o :blink: :lol:

Pomona
Can I throw a spanner, if only to see where it flies back out? :-)

At present (all things being on the move) I see all the many gods as different facets of the same one male god and one female goddess, so one cannot invoke a particular god/dess of a particular pantheon as they all point to the same Divine.

It is however possible to meditate upon one character of a particular god or goddess while seeking help from the Divine God or Goddess, to help us concentrate on a particular aspect of their natures; bearing in mind that their higher wisdom may mean that a completely or subtley different nature may show forth, according to what they know we need rather than what we think we would like. Of course this is only my personal opinion, which develops as I grow.

<SNIP>

I think my view is a bit like the Hindu faith, where there are many gods/goddesses, but only one Krishna; many windows looking into one scene. I like this because I can leave it to the infinite wisdom of god and goddess how they can best help me in my request, rather than invoking who I feel is right for the job.

280316[/snapback]

No problem with that - each to their own, even though I don't subscribe to that viewpoint (and neither, from all the evidence, did our pagan ancestors :lol: :blink: )

And what is all this invoking anyway? Sounds a bit like prodding a caged animal for a response. You may learn to your dismay that Gods may not wish to be invoked and would quite like to be asked respectfully, even worshipped a bit!

I think you're maybe misunderstanding the "invoking". It's not done in a peremptorial manner, it's always done, IME, in a very respectful, inviting way - offering things you either believe or know the deity would like, and using language which is either respectful or affectionate. And it would depend on the deity. Some may be/are fairly chilled, others are very formal - if you'd seen Moonhunter and me addressing our gods, she the Heathen ones, me the Roman ones, you'd see a world of difference between how we approach them which just emphasises the difference in how each deity is and can be approached.

I would rather have my divine Father and Mother envelope me with their infinite wisdom and grant me what is exactly right for me in relation to the best interests of the rest of the world, than be responsible for a complete muck-up because I insisted on being in the driver's seat - a god-tamer even!

Hmmmm... I mean no offence when I say this, but that sounds a very Christian way of thinking - this belief that you are a passive child content to allow yourself to be led by an all-knowing parent. I assume then you won't be performing any magick since that would be you presuming to know what is best in any situation?

Personally I prefer to take some control over my own destiny and do what I can in the world to help others - you going to tell me you've never donated to something like cancer research, where scientists aren't content to leave the big stuff to an all-powerful god(s) who "know best"? :o

Guest Minty
I'm going to go with everyone else. Mix and match all you want. I lover Herne too, and work with him alongside Selene Goddess of the Moon who is Roman. As has been said over and over the Gods choose you. To me it's more when you mix clashing God energies your going to have problems. Like a goddess of love and a Goddess of war are going to create a weird inbalance in the circle. But again personal opinion.

Blessed Be

Rich

x

152807[/snapback]

I also have Selene as a Goddess, and feel very drawn to Herne, too, though nothing much has come from that yet, but I can wait :P

Guest Earthborn
I mean no offence when I say this, but that sounds a very Christian way of thinking - this belief that you are a passive child content to allow yourself to be led by an all-knowing parent.

I have no problem with wanting my God(s) to nurture and look out for me. After all, why would we want to worship them if they did not feel benevolent to us in at least some way?

I assume then you won't be performing any magick since that would be you presuming to know what is best in any situation?

Personally I prefer to take some control over my own destiny and do what I can in the world to help others - you going to tell me you've never donated to something like cancer research, where scientists aren't content to leave the big stuff to an all-powerful god(s) who "know best"?

Ah, thanks Pamona - I think you have unlocked something for me there, so this is not God(s) giving to us according to our need so much as Humans and God(s) forging a positive destiny together ... :) ... that's awesome! (and not quite so Christian).

Moonhunter
I have no problem with wanting my God(s) to nurture and look out for me. After all, why would we want to worship them if they did not feel benevolent to us in at least some way?

It's a nice thought, but not all of the gods are kindly. And most of us find it's not easy/possible to attract the attention of one who doesn't want to know, whereas other gods demand attention because they want a relationship. In the end, it's down to you whether to enter that relationship, or not, depending on what you know, or find out, about that god.

Some of the more demanding, and least kindly, can offer some of the most rewarding experiences.

Oh, the other thing is that those of us who deal with more than one god tend not to worship any of them - we negotiate with them. In the Heathen religion (pre-Christian England/Scandinavia/Germany etc) we tend to take the attitude of 'a gift for a gift' - and, even then, we'll negotiate the price. Either way i.e. whether it's us or them who are asking for something. :)

Guest Earthborn
It's a nice thought, but not all of the gods are kindly.

All depending I think, on whether you view the gods from a polytheistic or duotheistic approach; whether they are co-creators of our universe or just other beings within it.

As a duotheist, I see both Lord and Lady as benevolent, or at least progressive, and now I see my relationship with them as working together towards a common destiny rather than being parasitic upon either.

Replies on this thread have helped me to better realise where I stand in all of this so thank you all. Each to their own and each to their path. Good luck on yours and we'll meet where we join. :blink:

Pomona
It's a nice thought, but not all of the gods are kindly.

All depending I think, on whether you view the gods from a polytheistic or duotheistic approach; whether they are co-creators of our universe or just other beings within it.

As a duotheist, I see both Lord and Lady as benevolent, or at least progressive, and now I see my relationship with them as working together towards a common destiny rather than being parasitic upon either.

280760[/snapback]

Not sure I'd agree with that Earthborn - believing in a Mother and Father God doesn't necessarily mean that you believe them to be "nicer" than believing in many gods. If you believe in everything being bound up in two gods, one male, one female, then you must surely allow for every aspect of nature to be bound in them too - and that doesn't always mean nice. Every creature is capable of brutality, cruelty, murder, cannibalism, etc etc - I don't think you can set the gods (no matter how many) as apart from that. Even the Christians don't believe their god to be sweetness and light - it's just not possible and to attempt to deny a fullness of character and attributes to your god is to deny part of your self. IMO.

Pomona

Not at all - but I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning behind your viewpoint :lol:

Moonhunter
As a duotheist, I see both Lord and Lady as benevolent, or at least progressive,

280760[/snapback]

No offence intended, Earthborn, but if you see all gods and goddesses as aspect of the one god and goddess, and you see both of those as universally benevolent, how do you reconcile the aspects that aren't? After all, there are many gods and goddesses out there who simply are not benevolent. How do they fit into your cosmology?

Guest Earthborn

Just to let you know I am busy helping to look for a missing dog at the moment who has been out for about a month now so actually don't care about religious viewpoints at the moment. Religious debate being the luxury of people with time on their hands.

To kind of answer your questions above, I believe that the Lord and Lady will help me in staving off the cold nights, wind and rain and give me insight through what I know as a gut feeling to help find where he is and how best to help him to give himself up.

Negative aspects come from the inevitable diversity that comes from an ever changing and exploring universe, whereas I view the gods as all knowing and very much in charge of the long term destiny of the universe whatever that is and are wise and benevolent enough to allow us to make mistakes.

I dont believe gods have negative aspects such as murder, hatred etc as they are enlightened, though they may be angry, protective maybe even secretive if it is in our interests not to know something - yet. It is creation that is capable of making mistakes or seeking wisdom before making a decision or taking an action - all we need to do is ask from the Lord and Lady who are only too happy to help, rather than bargain with some god who may or may not give a toss.

Hope this lays my cards on the table. If I go silent after this, I havent gone anywhere - apart from out there looking for a dog. See ya!

Pomona
Just to let you know I am busy helping to look for a missing dog at the moment who has been out for about a month now so actually don't care about religious viewpoints at the moment. Religious debate being the luxury of people with time on their hands.

:blink:

I do hope that you didn't intend to sound as dismissive and patronising as your comment would otherwise come across - I don't have a missing dog, and I sincerely hope you find him/her safely again, but if you don't want to debate, or you don't have the time, both are fair enough but you don't have to imply that those who took the time to engage you in conversation are layabouts with nothing better to do. :o

To kind of answer your questions above, I believe that the Lord and Lady will help me in staving off the cold nights, wind and rain and give me insight through what I know as a gut feeling to help find where he is and how best to help him to give himself up.

Negative aspects come from the inevitable diversity that comes from an ever changing and exploring universe, whereas I view the gods as all knowing and very much in charge of the long term destiny of the universe whatever that is and are wise and benevolent enough to allow us to make mistakes.

I dont believe gods have negative aspects such as murder, hatred etc as they are enlightened, though they may be angry, protective maybe even secretive if it is in our interests not to know something - yet.  It is creation that is capable of making mistakes or seeking wisdom before making a decision or taking an action - all we need to do is ask from the Lord and Lady who are only too happy to help, rather than bargain with some god who may or may not give a toss.

Hope this lays my cards on the table. If I go silent after this, I havent gone anywhere - apart from out there looking for a dog. See ya!

281110[/snapback]

No point really in addressing any of the above as you're clearly too busy to engage, so good luck with the dog.

Guest Earthborn

No offence intended and not pointed at those on this thread at all, sorry if taken that way.

Was merely pointing out (while the particular emotion is running through me) that when things are going well we feel clever when we negotiate with our gods, but when disaster strikes, we call upon our god and trust that he/she/they are benevolent and on our side; no atheists in a foxhole they say.

Honestly no time now, must concentrate on other situation. Thanks for your best wishes on dog search.

Moonhunter

No problem with you being too busy with more important matters, but, as Pomona says, no need to trivialise the choice of others on this forum who do care about religious viewpoints. I realise you have said you intended no offence, but, in that case, it would be nice if you thought before you post in a hurry next time, as your words are offensive.

I'd also offer my best wishes for success in the dog search.

Ah, there we part company. The gods and goddesses of virtually any pantheon include those who are really fierce people to deal with, and who do not make allowances for mistakes.

I dont believe gods have negative aspects such as murder, hatred etc as they are enlightened, though they may be angry, protective maybe even secretive if it is in our interests not to know something - yet.

All the myths of gods tend to show them as perfectly capable of hatred, adultery and a thousand and one other vices we may prefer to be only human. However, being Heathen, and taking on board the ancient mythology of my religion, I do not - cannot - consider my gods either perfect, or immortal, or particularly benevolent. They just are. I have friends of other religions who would say the same about their gods. The only way I can close my eyes to what they are would be to ignore the texts we have about them from pre-Christian, or intermediate, times.

all we need to do is ask from the Lord and Lady who are only too happy to help, rather than bargain with some god who may or may not give a toss.

so does that mean you believe in gods and goddesses who are spearate from your Lord and Lady? Sorry, I'm confused - I thought you believed that all gods are the one god, and all goddesses the one goddess. Apologies if I'm being thick. :rolleyes:

Guest Birka

What makes you think the dog is still alive after that much time and not lying dead in a hole somewhere.