Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Mental Health/ Pagan/ Opinions

Guest straw-berry-blonde

Earthdragon
23 hours ago, TheWolfMoon said:

i am pagan and i dont see  being mentally ill as a problem to do with what ever  religion / spirtiuality

May your paganism help you to gain some strength and balance amidst the issues that you describe, Wolfmoon.

Stonehugger

All the best.

OdinsDaughter64
On 2/4/2007 at 8:08 PM, Guest straw-berry-blonde said:

Hey there!

I have been reading 'Wicca: a guide for the solitary practitioner' (Cunningham) and the whole 'harm none' bit got me thinking.

I have to admit I have been on another (UNNAMED) pagan website. Due to this guideline, they took a very dim view of my mental illness and the way in which I cope with the overwhelming feelings I have to live every day with. They believed I was making excuses. I have morals and I know that by cutting myself I will have alot of guilt, but I know that withholding this punishment would cause a bigger problem in the near future. I know the god and goddess will still love me despite my flaws. Because I am part of them, they are part of me and they are also flawed. I am fighting and I have been for all the years I should have been forming an adult identity. And I am not sorry for continuing to survive in this way. Perhaps this is my path, but as much as we want to, when it comes to illness, other people's actions, these outside influences, they are not in our control. We shouldn't try to control everything, it's how we deal with such events that shape us.

Am I a bad person for knowing in my self that, in spite of free will, there are other forces at work? No one is entirely in control and no one is entirely swept along. That is how I feel. I respect the earth and am trying to be more in tune with her and the spirits here with us. I consider myself a student in such matters. I live and I learn and I try to treat others the way I would like to be.

Is this pagan, or do I not qualify due to my experiences? The other board seem to think I do not. I have left there and I need to know that not everyone feels the same! Any thoughts? xx

Hello Straw berry blonde,

Firstly, you are brave in your honesty to tell of your personal background. I believe that any god or goddess being pagan or divine will love you for who you are not what you are and if someone does have a form of illness than that does not define you. Everyone has it in their DSM. We all have potential illness or the link to anything, be it a mental thing or Adhd or whatever, the most important thing is to accept every part of your being. I think empathy is the key word to paganism though I have seen cases of certain groups enlightening only themselves. true divinity includes being humane besides being human.

Light to you

Anne