Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MistyCat

What About Christmas? - Do Pagans celebrate?

Guest Stormraven

I do Yule with Mojie and friends which will be on Friday evening, partly because I'm working on Saturday morning. :) Christmas (25th December) is a time to spend with Mojie, her mum and family as well as with the odd friend, a time to relax and enjoy.

Storm Raven

Ad from Google

Guest brunhild

me and mine celebrate yule, but we dont have a tree we go out and collect ivy/holly and various other evergreens and decorate the windows, we also burn a yule log.

incidentely i was reading a website the other day, (when i find it again i'll put a link up!) and it was a christian website explaining how christians shouldnt celebrate xmas as it is a pagan celebration and christinanity took it over to make the transistion from paganism to christianty easier......it was really interesting just sorry i cant find the damn thing again!!

MERRY YULE TO ALL!!!!!

Guest brunhild

here is the link if anyoone is intetrested.....you minght need to copy and paste it..........http://www.hope-of-israel.org/cmas1.htm

Pomona

Well, I'm going up to Lewis in a few days, and many people there won't celebrate Christmas for that reason: they believe it's a Pagan festival. It's about (according to Vert) a 50/50 split between those who do and those who don't. Those who do, do it in a very reserved and quiet way.

fizzyclare1

yule has been good, I went to the pictures and saw golden compass and beowulf 3D

B) fizz

Guest Red Kite

Hmmm turned out funny this year. Had a great time on the Solstice then the day after that came down with flu - It was like I was meant to celebrate on the Solstice (because if I had been ill any earlier I wouldn't have gone) and NOT on the 25th this year because I couldn't have celebrated on Christmas Day even if I had wanted to! - Christmas was quite literally a write off and the worst for 20 years when flu last wrecked it for me! I'm still feeling RUBBISH now! Worse still the rest of the family have come down with flu too, so it looks like I jinxed Christmas! :)

Edited by Red Kite

Guest Tas Mania

Aw - here - have some of these --> :)

Guest Red Kite

206450[/snapback]

Hehehe - I think they all just caught it!

Guest Red Kite

206450[/snapback]

Hehehe - I think they all just caught it!

206456[/snapback]

Well I've said **** it and put the decorations away! It makes me feel better!

Guest Epona

To me the cristian festivals are all stemed from the pagans and this includes Halloween and Harvest festival. I am sorry but i rather dislike christians as they make out that there festivals are ll their own making and doind=g but they are not. Christmas to me is winter solstice as well as yuletide and saturnalia (starts on my birthday so very special to me). Easter is the festival time of spring equinox as well as Brighid better known in her christian form of St Bride. Halloween is the day of the dead and is a spiecial time to remember our anestors. harvest festival is the christina term used for Lughnash which was the time of gathering the hatrvest.

Oh by the way from the 17th to 20th december the muslims have a festival for they celebrate life and all that has been given to them (only know this as i went to Egypt and joined in the celebrations).

I hope this has been of some help to you Mistycat.

Guest Herneoakshield
--snipped--Easter is the festival time of spring equinox as well as Brighid better known in her christian form of St Bride.--snipped--

206557[/snapback]

Actually the Christian Church took the Jewish festival Pesach (passover) as it's foundation for Easter Not a pagan festival.

The connection between the Jewish Passover and the Christian feast of Easter is real and ideal. Real, since Christ died on the first Jewish Easter Day; ideal, like the relation between type and reality, because Christ's death and Resurrection had its figures and types in the Old Law, particularly in the paschal lamb, which was eaten towards evening of the 14th of Nisan. In fact, the Jewish feast was taken over into the Christian Easter celebration;

I believe what they mean by the first Jewish Easter day is the first day of Pesach.

Yeah I know it's still a case of taking a festival from someone else and claiming it as their own but may as well be accurate about who it was taken from. And as can be seen it's not exactly something the church denies isn't the origin of the festival.

the site also mentions Christmas in the same article

Easter is the principal feast of the ecclesiastical year. Leo I (Sermo xlvii in Exodum) calls it the greatest feast (festum festorum), and says that Christmas is celebrated only in preparation for Easter.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05224d.htm

Guest starlit_night

I celebrated the solstice at home as per usual but because the rest of my family celebrate xmas I did the whole family thing on the 25th. My house is a bit mixed up because I live with my partner who celebrates xmas too. He put up the christmas tree and stockings while as I added the holly and coloured ribbons to our home. Either way, the house looks festive!

Edited by starlit_night

Guest Tas Mania

Pesach on earth and goodwill to all men! :o_rainbow:

Guest silverbirch

I do the solstice and the 25th is just another ordinary day to us here, trouble is I tend to forget the shops arent open and stuff like that, but thats mostly because I'm a bit of a scatterbrain!

Moonhunter

I find the 25th and 26th a real pain. We're all forced into the 25th because:

(1) most of us have relatives who "do" the Christmas Day bit of family gatherings

(2) thus pinned down in one's own house, or the house of a relative, there are few options beyond the TV offerings or some sort of card/board game, or post-lunch stroll or whatever

(3) It's virtually the one day of the year when EVERYTHING is closed. Why?????????

(4) public transport hardly exists

(5) the roads are risky due to drivers having imbibed too much alcohol in order to deaden the effects of spending the day with the family

The 26th is only a gift to frantic shoppers scooping up bargains or huntsmen and women (if you don't know, the Boxing Day hunt is the primary meeting of the year). A day when retail parks become nightmares and roads can be risky as harried drivers rush to the next bargain.

Aaaaaargh!!!!!!!!