Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

SpellBase
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: SpellBase
Sign in to follow this  
fizzyclare1

Twaddle Spotting - spotting b*llsh*t in books

fizzyclare1

I've noticed that some folks may be getting twaddled whilst on their path. What do I mean by 'twaddled'? Twaddled is something that happens when we read a book and book is full of crap and we get temporarily taken 'in' by it (perhaps due to inexperience, naivite or just a plain old brain fart - oh yeah, I know the last bit all too well :P ).

So I was wondering if we could have a thread that would give readers little gobbits of wisdom that would help a person to avoid being 'twaddled' by nutty publishers/writers etc.

Heres my thoughts:

Does book suggest you can only work magic at a certain time (ie when venus is transiting jupiter and it has to be in a sacred trine with count dooku from planet wotsit) - if so its likely you are facing a twaddler.

Does said book advocate lots of witchy watsits that cost a lot of money and low and behold is only available at a certain outlet? If so, you may be faced with a money twaddler - a person who is using twaddle dressed up as a book to sell lots of useless paraphanalia (which he is trying to flog you).

Okay have started things off, what do you think folks?

• Like 1

Ad from Google

Guest Tas Mania

He he, give me time to think about this one Fizzy!

Meanwhile, ponder the Twiddler.... :P

(Opposable thumbs wasted on Twaddle Monkeys!)

Edited by Tas Mania

Guest pasher

If the word Llewellyn appears anywhere on the cover and / or Spine, it is written by a "twaddler" and published by a "money twaddler" so dont waste time opening it.

Edited by pasher

Pomona

If there's a fuzzy faux-velveteen cover on it

If it talks about Wicca being an ancient religion

• Like 2

Moonhunter

Does it tell you that you have to have a magicial name, and introduce various forms of numerology to help you 'find' one?

Does it advocate strange and ancient forms of Wicca handed down through the mists of time, such as Seax Wicca or Pictish Wicca?

Come to think about it - cut to the chase - anything at all written by Ray Buckland.

:o_eek:

• Like 3

Guest Tas Mania

"I decided to write this book because my Granny told me lots of things about the ways of the Pagan when I was a little girl/boy, and this has had an amazing impact on my life which I felt I must share with you all*."

* "all" A.K.A. "suckers" :D

Reverend Nick

Any mention at all of Atlantis

Ditto inner child

The coy use of the word pre-Christian

And for novels: Comparable to Tolkien at his best read: jumped on the clapped-out bandwaggon for pseudo-medieval trilogies with elves.

My, aren't we bitter today? :o_eek:

Guest Tas Mania

He he! Tas LIKES bitter - it goes well with "twisted" too, doncha know!

I decided to go for a more mindless ramble than usual, and found this GEM,

"The Element Encyclopaedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts"

By Judika Illes

Gulp. That's more than any self respectin' Witch should EVER need...

(Wonder what Granny would have said?)

Edited by Tas Mania

Joxy
He he! Tas LIKES bitter - it goes well with "twisted" too, doncha know!

I decided to go for a more mindless ramble than usual, and found this GEM,

"The Element Encyclopaedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts"

By Judika Illes

167990[/snapback]

oh come on its fab i love that book its hilarious and deliciously yucky in places

Guest Freydis
If the word Llewellyn appears anywhere on the cover and / or Spine, it is written by a "twaddler" and published by a "money twaddler" so dont waste time opening it.

167955[/snapback]

Oh I don't know, Llewellyn books are quite good as firelighters. Although matches are cheaper.

Anything that has references to Atlantis, mystic spirits, traditions going back thousands of years or recomends lots of expensive paraphanalia that you can get from the author's website at a knock-down price.

Oh and anything by Silver Raven$wolf.

Guest lady_templar_99

Anything that refers the templars as being the keepers of ancient and secret traditions or that they are still arround us today as a secret organisation.

Anything that refers to caerleon as a mystical place linked with Arthur... I work here its about as mystical as my shoe.

temps

andy9xyz

All hail, She of the mystical shoes!

notworthy.gif

Joxy

To be honest many of the so called "pagan" books one can purchase from the likes of Waterstone tend to be a bit on the light fluffy side and generally are 101 type books, which are a bit thin on substance generally.

Much better to look in the folklore, herbal, and history type sections...oh and quantum physics.

Mind, I do own quite a few of the fluffy tomes and I do find them quite interesting although I do prefer my mythological/herbal/aromatherpy/history etc type books... and as I say I do love the 5000 spells book... hehehehe, I laughed so hard when I read the spell about keeping a lover faithful.. it involved a live fish and inserting it in an unmentionable place and then after a number of days feeding it to the lover.... apparently a medievel spell. :(

• Like 1

Moonhunter
Anything that refers to caerleon as a mystical place linked with Arthur... I work here

168007[/snapback]

hey, really? Do you work at weekends? It's only about half an hour from me and I actually quite like the place. OK, so maybe only the baths, museum, amphitheater and that strange little passage of shops...

Guest pasher

By Judika Illes

;)

167990[/snapback]

Hey, stop that.

Thats one of my favourite books your casting aspersions on, I sold more of them in the past 12 months than any other single title, including those great works by the world renouned true witch, "Titania".

Guest Tas Mania

By Judika Illes

;)

167990[/snapback]

Hey, stop that.

Thats one of my favourite books your casting aspersions on, I sold more of them in the past 12 months than any other single title, including those great works by the world renouned true witch, "Titania".

168090[/snapback]

Bet she went down a treat! :lol:

Guest Etayne

I had a book of 'Dream Interpretation' (always dodgy, I know) from the 1940s and it said, (brace yourselves) under the heading 'man'- "If you dream of a negro, it fortells a dark and dangerous time for you. You will have an encounter with a thief." Needless to say, upon reading that shite, I tossed the book on the proverbial bonfire. Since then, I haven't really come across anything that made me want to burn a book, but that kind of outright racism and complete lack of understanding of the world made me almost physically sick. Ick. I guess it was very different 'back then'.

At least, I *hope* it was 'very different' back then.

Guest Quasizoid

Sorry folks but I think I'll stick to advancing my magick skills with the latest edition of "Pyrotechnical Engineering for Metaphysicists"! :o_roflmao:

Guest wolverine
Sorry folks but I think I'll stick to advancing my magick skills with the latest edition of "Pyrotechnical Engineering for Metaphysicists"!  :o_roflmao:

168115[/snapback]

ROTFLMFAO :o_roflmao:

Its the way you tell em Q, to be sure :P

Guest Brighid
Does it tell you that you have to have a magicial name, and introduce various forms of numerology to help you 'find' one?

Does it advocate strange and ancient forms of Wicca handed down through the mists of time, such as Seax Wicca or Pictish Wicca?

Come to think about it - cut to the chase - anything at all written by Ray Buckland.

:o_roflmao:

167959[/snapback]

Yep, In the past I've bought a Llewellen book and a Buckland book . I managed to finish the Llewellyn book. :o_roflmao: . Buckland is crap.

Guest Wulfric

I've read Bucklands The Tree. What utter arse-dribble.

Never read any Llewellen books and never likely to. Never heard of Titiana.

Conspiracy theory books are twaddle as far as I'm concerned (whether they think the moon landings were faked or that there's a secret ancient religion actually running things).

Any book supposedly channelled from the Ancient Masters (including Madame Blavatsky (or whatever her name was)) I think are twaddle as well.

Any New Age dolphin-crystal-healing books and their ilk.

The list goes on!

fizzyclare1

167955[/snapback]

Oh I don't know, Llewellyn books are quite good as firelighters. Although matches are cheaper.

Anything that has references to Atlantis, mystic spirits, traditions going back thousands of years or recomends lots of expensive paraphanalia that you can get from the author's website at a knock-down price.

Oh and anything by Silver Raven$wolf.

168004[/snapback]

good point, I was thinking a similar thing - I mean if a nuclear weapons designer was researching into new designs and they found a paper on said subject and it was by Ivor Bigraygun you'd be a little suspicious, wouldn't you?

fizzy

Guest Wulfric

As I'm in a grumpy mood I'll probably also add anything by Graham Hancock, The DaVinci Code and The Bible Code.

Guest Tas Mania

I'd almost managed to erase the dolphins from my memory, Wulfric!

CROP CIRCLES! :lol:

Complete & utter bollox! :o_wave:

And hack me to death with a blunt teaspoon, but I LOATHE bloody Feng Shui. YAAAARGH! I mean, if you get it wrong, then the Toilet Dragon will have his revenge... :blink:

Edited by Tas Mania

Guest Wulfric

Sorry Tas!

I agree with Crop Circles. Two bored students with a plank of wood.

I'll add Ley Lines as well.

Edited by Wulfric

Guest pasher
Never heard of Titiana.

168316[/snapback]

Shock ..... Horror ..... :blink: You have never come across the great series of books by Titania Hardie ..... what sort of witches are they breeding nowadays: :o_wave:

Hocus Pocus, Titania's Book of Spells

Enchanted, Titania's Book of White Magic,

Zillions, Titania's Book of Numerology

Titania's Book of Hours, A Celebration of the Witches Year.

Love Potions, Titania's Book of Romantic Elixirs

Bewitched, Titania's Book of Love Spells

All nicely produced in lovely fluffy flock covered boards.

Guest Quasizoid
As I'm in a grumpy mood I'll probably also add anything by Graham Hancock, The DaVinci Code and The Bible Code.

168384[/snapback]

Know what you mean. I especially don't care for what Hancock contrives of Angkor Wat. The whole complex is clearly the most aesthetic blend of irrigation genius and reverence of the elementals of water. Trying to construe this into some half-baked cosmological coincidence on a laptop, is no better than implying that Stonehenge was built by extraterrestrials. As for all the illuminati bollox, and any other conspiracy theories, anyone can suggest 2+2=7 if the price is right. ^_^

Moonhunter

The Burning Times

Stonehenge was built by the Celts

Ye ancient Goddess worship dating back to the Paleolithic era in an unbroken line

All gods are one god and his name is Cernunnos (Ok, OK, so that's just a personal one. Don't all leap on me at once! :o_lol: )

Guest wolverine
The Burning Times

Stonehenge was built by the Celts

Ye ancient Goddess worship dating back to the Paleolithic era in an unbroken line

All gods are one god and his name is Cernunnos (Ok, OK, so that's just a personal one. Don't all leap on me at once!  :D )

168474[/snapback]

Yes esp All Gods one God & Celts built Stonehenge ! Boils my piss :o_lol: