Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
fizzyclare1

Twaddle Spotting - spotting b*llsh*t in books

Guest Wulfric
Shock ..... Horror .....  You have never come across the great series of books by Titania Hardie ..... what sort of witches are they breeding nowadays:

Ah, not a witch. Or Wiccan. Just a humble Heathen :o_roflmao:

Know what you mean. I especially don't care for what Hancock contrives of Angkor Wat. The whole complex is clearly the most aesthetic blend of irrigation genius and reverence of the elementals of water. Trying to construe this into some half-baked cosmological coincidence on a laptop, is no better than implying that Stonehenge was built by extraterrestrials. As for all the illuminati bollox, and any other conspiracy theories, anyone can suggest 2+2=7 if the price is right. 

Quite agree. I saw this programme where Hancock was convinced that the temples of Thailand (? or was it Myanmar - can't remember now) made up the constellation Draco. Only one or two flaws in his theory. He got rid of all the temples that didn't fit and why would a culture with no dragon lore (according to the expert they interviewed) build their temples to the Dragon design?

The worst part of all these so-called "alternative histories" or conspiracy theories is that they deny the human ingenuity and skill of the ancient builders, planers and craftsmen.

Ad from Google

davkin
If the word Llewellyn appears anywhere on the cover and / or Spine, it is written by a "twaddler" and published by a "money twaddler" so dont waste time opening it.

167955[/snapback]

Hi Pash

I'll do you a favour, if you ever get lumbered with Llewellyn's

Teutonic Magic

or

Teutonic Religion

by Kveldulf Gundarsson

I'll take them off your hands, no charge, I'll even pay the postage 567.gif

dav

davkin
If the word Llewellyn appears anywhere on the cover and / or Spine, it is written by a "twaddler" and published by a "money twaddler" so dont waste time opening it.

167955[/snapback]

Especially when the words

Witta

and

Edain McCoy

also appear on the cover.

dav

fizzyclare1

books that have cute little fairies,goblins, sprites or some other such nonsense carefully, artistically placed to encourage misguided belief and produce a good ole brain fart.

(I have nothing against this sort of artwork - some of them are very beautiful - but what has that got to do with nature? I mean the last time I was in a wood I sure as heck didn't see no fuzzy winged nymphette with boobs the size of melons flitting sexily about the place - did you?)

fizzy ;)

Guest Wulfric

Unfortunately not ;)

Any books in the Van Däniken mode claiming that all ancient engineering feats are the works of aliens, or books claiming that we are somehow genetic alien experiments. Get right on my goat, they do.

fizzyclare1
The Burning Times

Stonehenge was built by the Celts

Ye ancient Goddess worship dating back to the Paleolithic era in an unbroken line

All gods are one god and his name is Cernunnos (Ok, OK, so that's just a personal one. Don't all leap on me at once!  :( )

168474[/snapback]

Yes esp All Gods one God & Celts built Stonehenge ! Boils my piss ;)

168481[/snapback]

ouch that has to hurt!

Moonhunter
I mean the last time I was in a wood I sure as heck didn't see no fuzzy winged nymphette with boobs the size of melons flitting sexily about the place - did you?)

fizzy  ;)

168606[/snapback]

And what would you do with it if you did, Fizzy?

:angry:

Guest badgersmoon
Unfortunately not :angry:

Any books in the Van Däniken mode claiming that all ancient engineering feats are the works of aliens, or books claiming that we are somehow genetic alien experiments. Get right on my goat, they do.

168614[/snapback]

Oh but those are funny! Chariots of the Gods is always good when yer feelin down.

And am I setting BabyBadger up for a lifetime of disappointment by getting her the Flower Fairy books to read?

I am trying to avoid obvious fluff but can I read the White Goddess? Or will I just get confused.

BM

xx

Moonhunter

I am trying to avoid obvious fluff but can I read the White Goddess? Or will I just get confused.

BM

xx

168644[/snapback]

Well, I'm sure you can read it! :angry:

Just bear in mind that Graves later admitted it was poetry, not fact. ;)

Guest badgersmoon

BM

xx

168644[/snapback]

Well, I'm sure you can read it! :angry:

Just bear in mind that Graves later admitted it was poetry, not fact. ;)

168645[/snapback]

OK, "may" I read it. Sheesh... pedant :P

BM

xx

Moonhunter
OK, "may" I read it. Sheesh... pedant  ;)

Yep! :angry:

Guest Tas Mania
I mean the last time I was in a wood I sure as heck didn't see no fuzzy winged nymphette with boobs the size of melons flitting sexily about the place - did you?)

fizzy  :P

168606[/snapback]

:angry:

168641[/snapback]

Dunno about Fizzy, but I would put it onna stick - fuzzy winged nymphette onna stick please, with French fries, and a side salad, and some dipping sauce - MMmmmmmm..... ;)

Guest wolverine
The Burning Times

Stonehenge was built by the Celts

Ye ancient Goddess worship dating back to the Paleolithic era in an unbroken line

All gods are one god and his name is Cernunnos (Ok, OK, so that's just a personal one. Don't all leap on me at once!  :P )

168474[/snapback]

Yes esp All Gods one God & Celts built Stonehenge ! Boils my piss :angry:

168481[/snapback]

ouch that has to hurt!

168618[/snapback]

;) I was in Rant mode when posting this

Frith.

wolvie

Edited by wolverine

weatherwitch
Yes esp All Gods one God & Celts built Stonehenge ! Boils my piss  :angry:

168481[/snapback]

But I thought the Druids built Stonehenge :P :angry: ;)

One of my favourite mistakes I read was that Yorkshire was the next county to Scotland :blink: Wow, how did that happen? :o

I also hate ones about utsy cutsy little friendly fairies, that the three fold law applies to all witches and worse still all pagans. That we all adhere to harm none. As the saying goes, 'Harm None? Where's the fun in that?' ;)

Or that all pagans must veggies cos they love the earth so much :D

Or even that heathens & pagans are the same ... :o

Or that our ancient ancestors did it this way etc, etc, etc or the Goddess books that see vulva's everywhere in the earths surface. Just because something is an opening in the ground it doesn't make it a vagina anymore than it makes it an anal opening :o

Although perhaps it may well lead to the bowels of the earth :o_eek: :)

Guest Tas Mania

Pecti Witta/Wicca - EH? :angry:

Anything trying to state that "Scottish Craft is Picti, or Pecti, or Fairy/Faery" or variations thereof.

Clueless bloody muppets.

weatherwitch

I've moved this to Starters Orders Basics as it's quite valuable really :)

Also another thing, is when books state that the moon is feminine. It may be for many but it is not for all pagans :)

Moonhunter

I also hate ones ... that the three fold law applies to all witches and worse still all pagans.

Or even that heathens & pagans are the same ... :)

Aaaaarrrgh! Yech!!!!!!!!!!

<MH lopes off to THOC for a heady draught of Tas's quaich to recover>

Guest bri
the toilet dragon will have his revenge

I've "met" the toilet dragon.....................usually after a particulary hot balti! :)

Pomona

Following on from the Ancient Goddess worship, the other one that bugs me is the "we used to worship a Triple Celtic Goddess".

I don't even know where to begin with that one... Grrr... :P :)

Oh! Or that our ancestors worshipped "aspects"... :)

• Like 1

Guest Silvergreen

Slightly outside of pagan books but anything by L. Ron Hubbard would be instant firelighter material in my home.

Guest Freydis
Never heard of Titiana.

168316[/snapback]

Shock ..... Horror ..... :o_rofl: You have never come across the great series of books by Titania Hardie ..... what sort of witches are they breeding nowadays: :lol:

Hocus Pocus, Titania's Book of Spells

Enchanted, Titania's Book of White Magic,

Zillions, Titania's Book of Numerology

Titania's Book of Hours, A Celebration of the Witches Year.

Love Potions, Titania's Book of Romantic Elixirs

Bewitched, Titania's Book of Love Spells

All nicely produced in lovely fluffy flock covered boards.

168403[/snapback]

One of my daughter's friends bought her "Titiana's Dream Cards" or some such for her birthday a few years back. They were in a little purple and silver fluffy box. Sat on her dressing table for yonks and ended up being used as part of an art project. :lol:

Guest Freydis
Following on from the Ancient Goddess worship, the other one that bugs me is the "we used to worship a Triple Celtic Goddess".

I don't even know where to begin with that one...  Grrr...  :lol:    :lol:

Oh!  Or that our ancestors worshipped "aspects"...    :o_rofl:

168700[/snapback]

Like estate agents literature. This god has a lovely south facing aspect. Where do they get this c***p from? :angry:

fizzyclare1

fizzy  :lol:

168606[/snapback]

:D

168641[/snapback]

not tellin. :D

Guest lady_templar_99

Yep I do work weekends, Every bloody other in fact (BUT NOT THIS ONE YAY!!!!)

Caerleon is a lovley place, full of history and archaeology. Really interesting stuff here, the shops are quite twee but they dont sell shoes. There are many wood carvings round the place as there is an itnernational wood carving thingie here every year.

IT still has bugger all to do with Arthur.

tempy - of the non mystical rocket dog shoes.

Moonhunter
There are many wood carvings round the place as there is an itnernational wood carving thingie here every year.

Oh, is that why? :)

IT still has bugger all to do with Arthur.

Er..Arthur? :o_poke:

It was the main Roman campsite in the South, IIRC, hence the Augustans using it as their base these days.

A few friends and I went over to look at the amphitheatre and reasoned how it originally looked, based on the remaining architecture, before they blocked off an entrace to make the shrine face into the arena. In the old days it should ahve been the gladiators' entrance and the shrine would be on the side, so they could touch the god on their way into the arena.

The most probable deity was Nemesis, and her image was probably retained once they turned the shrine round, so it might well have sat on the central shelf, facing out.

That's where we found a bunch of dried flowers, dyed blue. :blink: :)

Well, I hope Nemesis ignored it...it might not be too good for the offerer if she took notice of something like that. :ph34r:

Guest Johannalienor

Any book in which the author claims to be a descendant of a famous, well-known or highly spiritual and/or historical person. I've come across so many of these claims that I have become very distrusting of the author, even though he/she is a really good one.

Johanna

Guest Quasizoid
Any book in which the author claims to be a descendant of a famous, well-known or highly spiritual and/or historical person. I've come across so many of these claims that I have become very distrusting of the author, even though he/she is a really good one.

Johanna

169150[/snapback]

Heh, heh, or claiming to have been that famous person in a previous life! :)

fizzyclare1

books that don't try to back up their claims with evidence! (okay anecdotal evidence could still be b*llsh*t but at least the writer is trying)

books about dreams that don't back up their research with evidence (grr!)

books that use evidence and twist it to suit their own ideas ie make a link between a particular phenomenon and some aspect of science, but don't explain precisely how it links. (or point out the weaknesses of their arguments)

books that use science (ie quantum physics) as evidence knowing that there is a lot of people out there who will not have a bl**dy clue as to whether they are using the information ethically/morally/honestly.

Anything to do with Freud is complete twaddle in my opinion - I have had a look at a lot of work by him and there is not one shred of evidence to suggest that we are completely sexually obsessed. We are not ruled by unconscious forces blah blah blah (okay this could just be personal bias) but when a patient of his is later found out to have a tumor in their stomach which has previously been attributed to an hysterical attack of some sort (feeling disturbing emotions in a physical way) then i seriously think that it is psychobabble. also - would you trust research that bases its evidence on seriously ill people only?

babble babble babble rant rant rant.

okay calming down now.

fizzy :)

Guest Freydis

Any book where someone claims to be a member of an ancient hereditary tradition which they can't write about, but will gladly sell you all their secrets via mail order if you send them a cheque for £10/100/1000. :D