Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
fizzyclare1

Twaddle Spotting - spotting b*llsh*t in books

Guest Julai

I would look on the back cover or flyleaf and see if there was a picture of the author with flowing hair and a mystical attitude, along with a blurb which makes the author out to have access to something the rest of us don't.

Hey, the problem with books per se (pace Pasher) is that people buy a book with the sense that they are buying the answers and the skills. But you don't get answers and skills by buying anything. Only by practicing something.

Worse than books are the magic kits, the tarot and divination sets and so on, that are so addictive until you realise you have an entire shelf-full and you haven't actually got to grips with any of it.

Speaking as one who has more than one shelf-full and is still on the basics.

Actually, none of it was a waste. It's all a learning experience. You wouldn't get it if you didn't need it.

:( :)

Ad from Google

Guest Tas Mania

"a picture of the author with flowing hair and a mystical attitude, along with a blurb which makes the author out to have access to something the rest of us don't." -->aka Herpes - the gift that just keeps on giving!

Guest Whitethorn

Oh! Gotta add this one, though it was so tooth grindingly awful I can't remember the title of the book, or the authors name apart from it having a hypen and "Mystical" spelling.

The subject matter was Faeries as a religion - how to become a "Faery Priestess or Priest".

(The amnesia was caused by a sudden need to leave Waterstones and find a vomit bag ). :o_beer:

Whitethorn ^_^

Guest Tas Mania

Did it include the PROPER list of thngs one needs in order to become a PROPER Faerie Preistess then? :o_beer:

As in: a Crystal wand, tipped with genuine Amethyst, and featuring GENUINE Faerie Runes, the proper (naturally) white satin Robe of Office, the Crystal ebcrusted headband with sun and moon symbols (VERY arcane, doncha know!) and the Faerie Tarot?

And naturally, it would also warn genuine Seekers to perform their Faerie contacting Rites indoors, as the wee buggers can be terribly unpredictable and often require containment - for which, might one recommend the wardrobe? ^_^

Besides, dew is SO chilling to the extremities! :)

Guest arctic wolf

Hmm, Well now I have a slightly different attitude to books than most of you here it seems. I hold the view that all books have some use. That all books have some truth in them. OK so they may have a lot of suppositions, or is that suppositories? Wild theories and plain simple un-researched falsehoods. However isn't being taken in by some of these books another step on our journey? I think most of us would admit to being taken in by a book at some point along the way, and then learning a sometimes painful lesson when we realised how taken in we were. Personally I think that learning to recognise rubbish is an important lesson and would therefore advocate reading everything and making your own mind up about it. If you read widely enough you will fairly soon realise what is what. Or not.

I like this last point that Julai made:

"Actually, none of it was a waste.It's all a learning experience. You wouldn't get it if you didn't need it."

Arctic wolf (whos own personal hates are : all gods are one etc etc and anything which is completely Goddess orientated with no mention of the God, the rule of three, the wiccan rede, anyone whos claims an unbroken tradition going back to Druids/ancient Babylon/ Atlantis)

Edited by arctic wolf

Guest Freydis

Worse than books are the magic kits, the tarot and divination sets and so on, that are so addictive until you realise you have an entire shelf-full and you haven't actually got to grips with any of it.

:)  :ph34r:

182946[/snapback]

Yes, I have to wonder if the world needs any more Faerie Daerie Mystical Moonbeam Glittering Galadriel Runes. The trouble with books, though is sometmies the twaddle is easy to spot (Llewellyn) but some books can look awfully seductive until you get them home and dicover you've bought a heap of c**p. I'm an addictive book buyer and I've made plenty of mistakes in my time - many that I'd be embarrsed to have on my shelves now.

Oh well, as Julai says, it's all part of the learning process!

Frey :angry:

Guest AlonaDragonfly

Can i just add anything that says Hecate/ Hekate (spelling optional) is a dark goddess/ crone.

Do your research! Hecate (the word) comes from the same root as the word cathartic etc- meaning pure or clean..... so how do they manage to make that a 'dark' word???? (Shakespeares fault apparently.....)

In Greek legends, Hekate was the light bearer who showed Persephone the way to the Underworld... and a maiden to boot

Just my two cents worth....

Guest Naimh
Can i just add anything that says Hecate/ Hekate (spelling optional) is a dark goddess/ crone.

Do your research! Hecate (the word) comes from the same root as the word cathartic etc- meaning pure or clean..... so how do they manage to make that a 'dark' word???? (Shakespeares fault apparently.....)

In Greek legends, Hekate was the light bearer who showed Persephone the way to the Underworld... and a maiden to boot

Just my two cents worth....

183343[/snapback]

Ekate, was more than just a light barer, may I suggest you read The Arognautica, or Medea, or perhaps the Aneid, she wasn't a love and lighter either, in fact in the Argonautica; she made Medusa seemed like a shallow figure of a Titan. And if you research her further back to her Thracian and Scythian routes, she was a bona fide hard drinking hard loving war making harridan.

xXx

Naimh

aka A Priestess of Hekate :o

Guest DragonMaster

I pretty much agree with all of the above, with the added loathing of any book directed at a teenage audience - Teen Witch by Shitter Crappenwolf, etc etc. What a great market. I bet rebellious teens just lap it up. Kind of upsetting when you think about it, they could be learning something decent :P .

DMaster

Guest heffmac

:o_rofl:

Help.....what books would you highly recommend then?

seems like i have read all the wrong ones, mind you saying that i read just about everything then question what i don't like, and its on to another book. :)

Guest scotgroup

I have just purchased 'Pagan Paths' by Pete Jennings and am awaiting delivery, is this one ok or is it twaddle?

Mark

Pomona
I have just purchased 'Pagan Paths' by Pete Jennings and am awaiting delivery, is this one ok or is it twaddle?

Mark

184476[/snapback]

Nope, that one's pretty good ;)

Guest wolverine

Mark

184476[/snapback]

Nope, that one's pretty good :)

184478[/snapback]

He has a new book coming out too ! :)

fizzyclare1

Mark

184476[/snapback]

Nope, that one's pretty good :D

184478[/snapback]

He has a new book coming out too ! :)

184488[/snapback]

OOh whats it called - I like his work.

fizzy

fizzyclare1
It's called Heathen Paths. Out soon I believe.

184872[/snapback]

thanx

Guest Swanhild

Heathens Paths by Pete Jennings is out and I am hearing favourable feedback.

In my experience every pagan book is good in parts - even the worst ones will have a couple of good ideas in them somewhere.

Warning signs in Heathenry books are statements that all heathens do x, y or z. Or all Heathens must do x,y or z.

Heathenry is so diverse that any such statement can be challenged :P With the possible exception of 'all heathens value personal honour'.

Makes promoting the faith a real nightmare :unsure:

Skegga :o_perv:

Edited by Swanhild

Moonhunter

Nice to know, as Pete's usually considered half Wiccan by a lot of Heathens in the UK. :o_baeh:

Guest Swanhild

Nice to know, as Pete's usually considered half Wiccan by a lot of Heathens in the UK. :)

188848[/snapback]

I have listened to a couple of his lectures and not got that impression at all. I think his new book goes back to the old source material and challenges some modern interpretations.

It is true about the Morris Dancing though - he is really keen on that :lol:

Skegga :o_rofl:

Guest Gryphon

Ekate, was more than just a light barer, may I suggest you read The Arognautica, or Medea, or perhaps the Aneid, she wasn't a love and lighter either, in fact in the Argonautica; she made Medusa seemed like a shallow figure of a Titan. And if you research her further back to her Thracian and Scythian routes, she was a bona fide hard drinking hard loving war making harridan.

xXx

Naimh

aka A Priestess of Hekate :ph34r:

183368[/snapback]

That maybe eExplains why i've been scared of Her for no known reason.

I've worked with many other divinities so i'm typicially respectful and wary, but not this unsettled or easily unnerved

Guest Hlathguth

Ive enjoyed Pete's Pagan Paths book, and have just ordered the new Heathen Paths book, and one called The Northern Tradition...cant wait for them to get here!!

Pete Jennings explains things well and makes stuff alot easier to understand.

~ H ~

Edited by Hlathguth

Guest SquishyDragon

At the risk of being slain here, there is one Llewellyn book I've found quite useful...the Inner Temple of Witchcraft. Once you get past all the history balls and the authors slightly self-celebratory nature, the exercises in it are quite useful (although some are pinched right out of other books). For people who have serious problems with visualisation, like me (they always seem to go crazily out of control, if I visualise a candle it falls over or the whole thing catches fire or something...its not fun having candles/apples/various flowers bouncing around in your head) and this book starts with basic visualisations of simple shapes, working up to pieces of fruit before building bigger scenes like most books suggest. This helped my crazy brain quite a bit. On the other hand the affirmations and the term "instant magick" just make me want to giggle. But I find the "workbook" style of the book pretty helpful because I am such a lazy wee sod.

Silver Ravenwolf on the other hand...she makes me scream. Somebody bought me Teen Witch when I was about fourteen and I spent the whole book snorting with laughter. Some of what she preaches is actually quite frightening...she advocates children defying their parents by hiding her books if they wont let their children have them...this could have some nasty consequences in some parts of the US! I hate the way she tries to talk for all witches as well. I actually find her books not only annoying, but her attitude offensive and bordering on dangerous...she's not exactly tolerant of other religions, is she? Grrr.

I have to admit to having read some pure rubbish in my time. Fiona Horne was another author my mum liked to buy for me. Read on a purely superficial level, her books are fun to read in a trashy magazine sort of way, and they dont get my back up the same way Ravenwolf's do, but they aren't exactly high on the substance matter. Also have to admit to having bought some pieces of total rubbish like "Spells for Teenage Witches" and "Spells" by Nicola de Pulford. :lol:

I remember getting Bucklands big blue book and wanting to hit myself over the head with it. Anyone else get this reaction?

Guest Lantern_Light

Have any of you discovered abe books yet? They do books from accross the world on a massive scale and you can get just about anything you're looking for including really rare titles. they're also almost always cheaper than the bookshop or even ebay. have probably saved me a fortune over the last couple of years.

Anyway hope it'll be useful to anyone else who buys a lot of books:

www.abebooks.co.uk

BBs LL

Guest Minty

Thanks for the link, LL (my piggy bank starting protesting the moment I clicked the link!! :blink:).

Minty. xx

JohnMacintyre

Dear SquishyDragon,

I remember getting Bucklands big blue book and wanting to hit myself over the head with it. Anyone else get this reaction?

213205[/snapback]

Not precisely. I found myself wanting to hit *him* over the head with it, preferrably hardback edition.

BB,

John Macintyre

• Like 1

Guest Stormraven

I wanted to hit him over the head with something larger and heavier, after getting my money back for preference, even though I didn't spend much on my copy.

Storm Raven

Guest Stormraven
Thanks for the link, LL (my piggy bank starting protesting the moment I clicked the link!! :o_viking3:).

Minty.  xx

213280[/snapback]

My dear Lady Araminta, that wasn't your piggy bank that was your common sense saying I can put the money to a lot better use.

Storm Raven