Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Talbot Michaels
Moonlight Forest
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: Moonlight Forest
Guest morrigan

Sky Clad Or Not? - Does it make a difference

Guest Dave

Pebble;

just to be clear, not necessarily ritual, Ironing, Washing up, vacuuming, any thing really, I'm just quite comfortable "skyclad".

Ad from Google

Guest Badkitty
Ironing, Washing up, vacuuming, any thing really, I'm just quite comfortable "skyclad".

Same...though my husband can inform all quite strongly that one shouldn't be skyclad when making a fryup....

Guest mahzhah
Same...though my husband can inform all quite strongly that one shouldn't be skyclad when making a fryup....

Oooh ouch! bacon fat is not wise!

Guest Nelli
And careful with that iron! :o  :lol:

Speak for yourself! If you saw me skyclad, you'd really think I needed ironing :D

fizzyclare1

me, I'd never do it. I'd scare the natives. (and probably myself too).

love fizzy.

Guest Tas Mania

But surely if you're smudging your openings, clothes would just get in the way?

:huh:

(Tas wanders off, pondering...)

Guest viridios

Skyclad would feel natural to me...but au naturelle is normal at my home (only the cat sees!)

Having been skyclad in woods (secluded) I can coomend it to the hardy amongst you!

As said above, being warm and comfortable is esential....

Viri

Guest Rusalka

I don't believe that it makes a difference other than in your mind (then again, what is in your mind can make all the difference). But I don't believe that magical energies can be inhibited by clothes.

I love being nude in nature, and would do it much more often if I could. A few weeks ago I was out walking on Dartmoor; I climbed a tor and there wasn't a soul in sight. I stripped off my top and felt the breeze on my boobs. Awesome.

Guest Minty

So that was YOU! I wondered who the topless, shuddering woman was!! :o_hail:

BB, Minty. xx

Guest Rusalka

That's ok... I'll just use my all powerful psychic vision to see right into your thoughts........... oooh you naughty mare! :P

Guest Rusalka
Skyclad, with some leather, wampum and plenty of war paint! :(

170283[/snapback]

I love that idea. Out in nature - wearing nothing but paint.

Ember Autumn Rose

*reviving*

I think going skyclad or not is definitely a personal choice. No-one else's, and you shouldn't feel pressure to do anything in particular. The only difference it makes in my opinion is whether you feel comfortable or not.

Some people like to be skyclad, some like to wear specific clothing, and others are happy to practice with civvies - various reasons why have been mentioned above for all three and I don't think I can add anymore.

For me, I usually just wear the clothes I already have on. I personally don't think it makes any mystical difference - you are who you are no matter what you are/aren't wrapped up in. You might just feel a temperature change 😛

• Like 1

Moonsmith

I am only posting this first bit because I am not aware that there are any line initiated Wiccans here at the moment.  If Maeve should look in then she will speak with authority.

I am not Wiccan but I understand that those Wiccans who trace their line back to Gerald Gardner choose to be naked at initiations because that is to hold to their tradition.  I further understand that any other occasion for nudity would be decided by the HP in agreement with the coven but that few do.

Ten years ago when Pagan camps were attended by 50 or more of us there might be two or three folk who chose to circle naked but I never understood why.  It's bad enough at a windy Beltane camp seeing ladies with very little natural insulation[such as that I carry!!!] dressed in insufficient crushed velvet for warmth and trying to concentrate on ritual.

If you want to be naked, are in a place screened from public view and can get on with the job you came to do then fine.  If you find yourself uncomfortable with the situation or distracted by cold etc.  then don't.

Ask yourself "Why?"

I'm sure I do not need to tell anyone not to get naked because some idiot tells you that you have to, that it's what Pagans do!  I've identified as a Pagan for nearly forty years and have never practiced naked.

Edited by Moonsmith

Earthdragon

As far as my Druidic practise goes ( I'm an Ovate rather than a Druid) it's - full robes for formalities and regular calendrical ritual, any clothes for any other type of ritual or spiritual work and yes naked for certain private spiritual work which is a small proportion of the above...

Taking part in ritual without robes does mean anything is necessarily taken away from the outcomes. It's easier tofor everyone to enter into the mindsets needed if there is a pattern threats been already made through robe wearing though.

IME there is a psychological significance to nakedness within spirituality just as there is with wearing robes.

Edited by Earthdragon

Freydis

My tradition (Heathenry) doesn't really do naked.  Probably something to do with originating in norther Europe.  Hmmmmmm....

It's up to the individual and the significance that being clothed or not has in their spiritual practice. 

Moonsmith
4 hours ago, Earthdragon said:

( I'm an Ovate rather than a Druid)

Sorry - off topic but very interesting to me!

ED, I have long thought that when Strabo describes 'Bards, Vates and Druids' [Geographica, IV,4,c197,4  trans Jones 1917] he was describing three different entities rather than any form of hierarchy.  Are you an Ovate or are you an Ovate: ex Bard aspiring to Druid?  Sorry and obviously you do not need to answer that but I am academically interested in the interpretation of the historical record that concerns Druids.  My study has nothing to do with my beliefs or yours.  It certainly isn't any form of judgement, comparison or criticism.  In a world of Druidry/Druidism dominated by Ross Nichols I have not found anyone else who thinks as I do.

Back on topic - I have never applied a bumper sticker but should I ever do so it would declare : "Druids do it outdoors".  I have attended Pagan rituals conducted indoors but by far and away most of my practice is carried out "Under the Eye of the Sun" whether the Sun is visible or not.  Certainly NOT skyclad but often wrapped a gortex lined cloak with the rain creeping in around the hood.  While in the Earthworks tribe I would call North only in part because it meant the wind was at my back and kept my cloak under control  🙂  I am of course Bear [but not bare] in any case.

Just a thought that arrived as I typed that.  Would you practice naked while wearing a house?  Would it matter?

Edited by Moonsmith

Ellinas

Bottom line:

1. Nakedness makes a difference if you believe it makes a difference;
  2. Nakedness makes a difference if it is cold;
  3. Nakedness makes a difference if you are in a climate of extreme heat and sunlight;
  4. Nakedness makes a difference if someone calls the police on account of it.

Moonsmith has a point about the house, though.  Currently, I am naked inside the clothes that I am wearing and the building that contains me.  If I am in the open air wearing no clothes, I am still clothed by the atmosphere that envelops me.  Perhaps the emperor's new suit was the size of the planet.  On that basis - what's the difference?  I return to - none, unless you or an observer believe there is one (for good or ill), or the temperature is nipping at your nuptials (so to speak), or dehydrating you at a dangerous rate.

Ember Autumn Rose
10 hours ago, Ellinas said:

Bottom line:

:o_claps:

• Haha 1

Earthdragon

Is that a scratching finger? 🤣

• Haha 1

Ember Autumn Rose
46 minutes ago, Earthdragon said:

Is that a scratching finger? 🤣

No! haha xD I was applauding the appropriate (?) use of the word bottom 😛

• Haha 1

Ellinas

I hadn't noticed that.  Oh bum!

Stonehugger
On 2/2/2019 at 12:39 PM, Moonsmith said:

Would you practice naked while wearing a house?

I wonder if practising skyclad is all about "wearing" the wider surroundings. I've only tried twice. Once was with a group (we called ourselves a circle in those days, which sounds a bit pretentious now) and it turned out we couldn't take it seriously, so great fun but not a spiritual experience!! The other the was on my own at Castlerigg and, come to think of it, I think I was perhaps maybe possibly trying to "wear" the stone circle. If that's true, I imagine I'd have been wearing the entire monument, not the individual stones and their immediate neighbours. Now there's an interesting thought. Would being skyclad help me feel the monument more holistically? I won't try to find out in this weather.

Edited by Stonehugger

Ellinas

The thought is, indeed, interesting.  You might have hit on a rational basis for the practice.

Moonsmith
48 minutes ago, Stonehugger said:

!The other the was on my own at Castlerigg and, come to think of it, I think I was perhaps maybe possibly trying to "wear" the stone circle. If that's true, I imagine I'd have been wearing the entire monument, not the individual stones and their immediate neighbours. Now there's an interesting thought. Would being skyclad help me feel the monument more holistically? I won't try to find out in this weather.

I regularly visit Castlerigg but nearly always in early December.

While I almost invariably have it to myself I would not unzip my puffer jacket never mind getting anywhere near my base layer. ( I play a very competitive game of strip poker!!!!)

Being naked for spiritual reasons simply does not work for me.  

• Like 1

Veggie dancer

I like the idea of it but it's not something I do. I'd be too self conscious as part of a group to get anything from it.

i do think there may be something in it if you can strip away (pun intended) your inhibitions and do it properly.

when you have a baby they tell you about how important skin on skin contact is with the baby. The skin is an organ and there are a whole list of benefits of touching naked skin on skin with your baby, and also the baby feeling its own naked skin with its own skin is supposed to be beneficial. I read somewhere else that skin contact with your partner is also good for your health. So maybe opening our skin to contact with the air, water, the earth, trees or whatever might have a lot of potential. I'm sure it doesn't have to be TOTAL nakedness for you to get something from skin contact but maybe the more the better? Until more becomes too much for you to feel comfortable with and then I expect that outweighs the benefits.

i suppose many of us might not go completely naked but find some bare skin useful in ritual. I do like to be bare foot and feel contact with the ground, and feel things against bare hands or even bare arms and legs.

• Like 2