Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DVE

A Beginners Guide To Voodoo?

Guest Rising Hero
Actually that sounds similar to some Traditional Witchcraft type praxis Iv been shown.How old is that belief roughly and when was it exported from the Vodou homelands?

200884[/snapback]

Candomble? The earliest dated accounts are between 1807 and 1826 according to the book I've been studying.

Regards,

DVE, BB

200889[/snapback]

Ah,I see.Sort of like Macumba which I see parallels the witchcraft practices in mainland Europe.

Ad from Google

Guest DVE

Macumba is used to describe Candomble and Umbanda in Brazil isn't it?

^ It is meant as a genuine question, just in case you take it offensively - Wasn't meant like that :o_devil:

Edited by DVE

Guest Rising Hero
Macumba is used to describe Candomble and Umbanda in Brazil isn't it?

200893[/snapback]

Im not sure but I think its something to do with the notion of a black magic.I will leave it to you as this is an area I have little knowledge of.

Guest Tas Mania

Aha! Tas spots the opening for a new thread - BRB! :D :o_devil:

Guest natures spirit

As a person not familiar with Voodoo,could I ask if you believe these spirits are contactable in this country?

200571[/snapback]

Yes I would also wonder this, I understand the explanations put forward, but also have to argue that, if a lineage of Gods/Goddesses hasn't been worshipped continually in a new country, can it really be accessible in that new land. I will point out here, I have NO experience of Voodoo or Voddou (nor sure of the differences with spellings, perhaps someone can elaborate) but unless a worship has been brought to this land from the origin and worshippped continually, albeit in secret (which can be difficult to prove) is it still possible to access those deities. I will just say here that I don't see deities as most do, in the form of Gods and Goddesses but more of something within me that I can access, but I am interested in how Voodou perceives them. Wow is this really a crap posting or what lol :D I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask/say :o_devil:

Guest DVE

Yes I would also wonder this, I understand the explanations put forward, but also have to argue that, if a lineage of Gods/Goddesses hasn't been worshipped continually in a new country, can it really be accessible in that new land.  I will point out here, I have NO experience of Voodoo or Voddou (nor sure of the differences with spellings, perhaps someone can elaborate) but unless a worship has been brought to this land from the origin and worshippped continually, albeit in secret (which can be difficult to prove) is it still possible to access those deities.  I will just say here that I don't see deities as most do, in the form of Gods and Goddesses but more of something within me that I can access, but I am interested in how Voodou perceives them.  Wow is this really a crap posting or what lol  :P I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask/say  :P

200917[/snapback]

Thanks for your response.

I would say that you can worship anyone anywhere if you are in the frame of mind and have the relevant materials to do so. Similar to those who carry a Bible or Cross whenever they travel - I'm sure people of the origin countries who have brought their faith over here will have helped establish the worshipped entities interest, if you will. So I believe anyway.

As for the spellings, when I have come across the variations in spellings, it is just the variations of the practise "Vodou" is usually the Haitian following, whereas "Voodoo" is the New Orleans practising name.

There are suggestions that some paths of Voodoo/Vodou share principles with Catholicism, and some Lwa are symbolized by pictures of the Saints. For example, Legba (Lord of the crossroads; Link between the earth and the spirit world) is sometimes represented by Saint Paul - The keys to the Pearly Gates. Of course, different people will follow in different ways, and may or may not use the same methods when worshipping. I am just offering my thoughts on what I have come across so far, so use it as you will, but don't say it is the be all and end all - The best way to learn is to read the different sides of the stories, and then make your opinion on what you see and feel is most fitting with your path.

Regards,

DVE, BB

Edited by DVE

Guest Tas Mania

It strikes me that some aspects of Voodoo seem to have evolved as the response of ordinary people to their environments - not too unlike some of the practical aspects of Witching. When something needs doing - ask a Witch!

Both beliefs also have much older aspects stemming from indigenous practices which have evolved, having new ideas grafted onto older beliefs, yet not losing knowledge of (and practice of) the older/original stuff.

Guest Rising Hero

Yes I would also wonder this, I understand the explanations put forward, but also have to argue that, if a lineage of Gods/Goddesses hasn't been worshipped continually in a new country, can it really be accessible in that new land.  I will point out here, I have NO experience of Voodoo or Voddou (nor sure of the differences with spellings, perhaps someone can elaborate) but unless a worship has been brought to this land from the origin and worshippped continually, albeit in secret (which can be difficult to prove) is it still possible to access those deities.  I will just say here that I don't see deities as most do, in the form of Gods and Goddesses but more of something within me that I can access, but I am interested in how Voodou perceives them.  Wow is this really a crap posting or what lol  :P I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask/say  :P

200917[/snapback]

Thanks for your response.

I would say that you can worship anyone anywhere if you are in the frame of mind and have the relevant materials to do so. Similar to those who carry a Bible or Cross whenever they travel - I'm sure people of the origin countries who have brought their faith over here will have helped establish the worshipped entities interest, if you will. So I believe anyway.

As for the spellings, when I have come across the variations in spellings, it is just the variations of the practise "Vodou" is usually the Haitian following, whereas "Voodoo" is the New Orleans practising name.

There are suggestions that some paths of Voodoo/Vodou share principles with Catholicism, and some Lwa are symbolized by pictures of the Saints. For example, Legba (Lord of the crossroads; Link between the earth and the spirit world) is sometimes represented by Saint Paul - The keys to the Pearly Gates. Of course, different people will follow in different ways, and may or may not use the same methods when worshipping. I am just offering my thoughts on what I have come across so far, so use it as you will, but don't say it is the be all and end all - The best way to learn is to read the different sides of the stories, and then make your opinion on what you see and feel is most fitting with your path.

Regards,

DVE, BB

200946[/snapback]

I think an important key to understanding the development of ideas in Voodoo/ou will be to realise its importation into each country and subsequent fusing of African native belief with Roman Catholicism.The vehicle for distribution was of course the Slave trade,specifically its market within the so-termed Atlantic Triangle.Later African belief was itself tainted by input from Sufi and Christian Apocalyptic type preaching.Hence the Saints,Initiatory ideology and gradual instalment of a world,rather than community view.

I dont have any experience of its practice and Im sure it works for those who believe in it.My doubts are its connectability outside of its homeland.

Guest Tas Mania

Interesting observations RH. Given that Ceremonial Magic - ritual based as it is, leans equally heavily upon OT and Kabbalah, plus of course Egyptian input, I have to wonder whether ITS validity (outside of the Holy Land & Egypt) is then equally invalidated?

My opinion is that it is. :P

Guest Rising Hero
Interesting observations RH. Given that Ceremonial Magic - ritual based as it is, leans equally heavily upon OT and Kabbalah, plus of course Egyptian input, I have to wonder whether ITS validity (outside of the Holy Land & Egypt) is then equally invalidated?

My opinion is that it is. :o_biggrin:

200976[/snapback]

Yes it is.The exceptions are that you recognise 1.Judaic and Christian demonlogies.2.That in doing so you live your life within the confines of those beliefs.By doing so you have at least a chance of reaching into cultural beliefs that are alien to your own-however much the romantic mind convinces us otherwise.To pun a phrase 'Egyptians are born not made' :P

Guest Tas Mania

Surely living within "confines" pre-empts reaching into other's [alien] cultural beliefs?

I don't hold with romanticism, so can't comment.

Pun?

Guest Rising Hero
Surely living within "confines" pre-empts reaching into other's [alien] cultural beliefs?

I don't hold with romanticism, so can't comment.

Pun?

200991[/snapback]

I said that to connect you would need to live within the confines of that belief ie to connect to Judaism you wuill need to become a Jew.

Pomona

So to "truly" connect to Voudou you need to become either Roman Catholic or a a slave? :o_biggrin:

Guest Rising Hero
So to "truly" connect to Voudou you need to become either Roman Catholic or a a slave?  :o_biggrin:

201033[/snapback]

No! :P But you might need to be an African or-if the later export of the belief,move to Haiti,Brazil or New Orleans!

Pomona

Sooo... are you saying that those who practice Voudou and who AREN'T African (well, unless you go into the whole Eve matrilinear theory etc), New Orlean, Brazilian etc - they're basically wrong? Their beliefs and practise invalid and liable to failure? :o_biggrin:

Guest Rising Hero
Sooo...  are you saying that those who practice Voudou and who AREN'T African (well, unless you go into the whole Eve matrilinear theory etc), New Orlean, Brazilian etc - they're basically wrong?  Their beliefs and practise invalid and liable to failure?    :)

201036[/snapback]

Its a possibility.There is no invalidity as practice often makes perfect-until then the liability to fail is ever present.

Pomona

Do you allow for the Einstein theory of reincarnation? You know (paraphrase coming up), that you can't destroy atoms etc and therefore they all are recycled and therefore the possibility of them re-congregating or infiltrating something else, including humans cannot be discounted? And therefore it's possible that the urge to practitise modern-day Voudou (or any other path, really, let's face it) is born of an instinct implanted in the individual by dint of these particles having been floating around the planet, transmitted and passed on, and finding fertile ground in certain individuals? Which would negate any necessity to have been born of African heritage?

Guest Rising Hero
Do you allow for the Einstein theory of reincarnation?    You know (paraphrase coming up), that you can't destroy atoms etc and therefore they all are recycled and therefore the possibility of them re-congregating or infiltrating something else, including humans cannot be discounted?  And therefore it's possible that the urge to practitise modern-day Voudou (or any other path, really, let's face it) is born of an instinct implanted in the individual by dint of these particles having been floating around the planet, transmitted and passed on, and finding fertile ground in certain individuals?    Which would negate any necessity to have been born of African heritage?

201046[/snapback]

I dont buy into reincarnation as in Eastern type cultures.But yes,the impulse could be from atoms,though Im more inclined to the indigenous racial genetics.The point is that connecting to voodoo/ou,will,as in any path,be far easier if one lives the life.(rather than doing it at weekends)

Pomona
The point is that connecting to voodoo/ou,will,as in any path,be far easier if one lives the life.(rather than doing it at weekends)

201052[/snapback]

Yup. Separates the wheat from the chaff really :)

Guest DVE

RH - Thank you for your input. However, if that is the case, where you would need to either live or originate from the origins of the path you would follow, how would you explain that Roman Catholicism can be worshipped and followed from the UK, when the religion did not originate from here? Or Christianity? Would that mean, in order to follow the Druid path(s), you would have to originate from the UK, or Europe?

Thanks,

DVE, BB

Guest Rising Hero
RH - Thank you for your input. However, if that is the case, where you would need to either live or originate from the origins of the path you would follow, how would you explain that Roman Catholicism can be worshipped and followed from the UK, when the religion did not originate from here? Or Christianity? Would that mean, in order to follow the Druid path(s), you would have to originate from the UK, or Europe?

Thanks,

DVE, BB

201074[/snapback]

Roman Catholicism and Christianity were constructed with universal political agendas.Druidry never existed outside the imagination of Roman writers.

Guest DVE

Roman Catholicism and Christianity were constructed with universal political agendas.Druidry never existed outside the imagination of Roman writers.

201075[/snapback]

So, wouldn't that make every religion or path universal? As long as you abide to the original beliefs of course?

Guest Rising Hero

Of course,Druidry can be practised-the same as Heathenry and other reconstructs :)

Guest DVE
Of course,Druidry can be practised-the same as Heathenry and other reconstructs :)

201080[/snapback]

So what would make Vodou any different to follow?

Forgive me for my seemingly ignorant state, but my opinion contrasts with yours on the fact that you need to either originate or live at the source of your path. Surely followers of whichever path take it with them when they emigrate to wherever, and there becomes a following for the path?

Guest Rising Hero

201080[/snapback]

So what would make Vodou any different to follow?

Forgive me for my seemingly ignorant state, but my opinion contrasts with yours on the fact that you need to either originate or live at the source of your path. Surely followers of whichever path take it with them when they emigrate to wherever, and there becomes a following for the path?

201082[/snapback]

Thats true.If you are African in this case :)

Guest Rising Hero

I expect a Druid will be here in a minute!

Guest Clamhan

There is a school of thought that would suggest that it is easier to practice traditions that are indeginous to your local cultures but I dont subscribe to it.

I know various Western Mystery Traditions (and in particular The Society of Inner Light) suggest that whilst they will allow non British students to study the traditions they do feel it would be better if the 'would be' student found their own inner plane contacts or the national group mind for their indeginous cultures instead.

I dont subscribe to this primarily because (as pomona has already pointed out) it makes no allowance for the previous lives of the student and potential initiate.

I would advise that you find what you are most comfortable with, that you 'find your fit' and work along with where you are led.

Gary /|\

PS: Did someone summon a Druid? :)

Edited by Clamhan

Guest Rising Hero
There is a school of thought that would suggest that it is easier to practice traditions that are indeginous to your local cultures but I dont subscribe to it.

I know various Western Mystery Traditions (and in particular The Society of Inner Light) suggest that whilst they will allow non British students to study the traditions they do feel it would be better if the 'would be' student found their own inner plane contacts or the national group mind for their indeginous cultures instead.

I dont subscribe to this primarily because (as pomona has already pointed out) it makes no allowance for the previous lives of the student and potential initiate.

I would advise that you find what you are most comfortable with, that you 'find your fit' and work along with where you are led.

Gary /|\

201091[/snapback]

Exactly.If you believe in previous lives and can access them.

Guest Clamhan
Druidry never existed outside the imagination of Roman writers.

LOL

I have to disagree as I am sure you knew I would. :)

Whilst I do agree that much wasnt written before the Romans arrived about Druidry, the main tenets of Druidry or Celtic Spirituality (call it what you will) were carried through in mythology.

Gary /|\

Guest Rising Hero
Druidry never existed outside the imagination of Roman writers.

LOL

I have to disagree as I am sure you knew I would. :)

Whilst I do agree that much wasnt written before the Romans arrived about Druidry, the main tenets of Druidry or Celtic Spirituality (call it what you will) were carried through in mythology.

Gary /|\

201096[/snapback]

Nothing was written.The main tenets come from New Age sources such as the neo-pagan Druid Orders.I know as I was once in there!