Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Haylee Linton
The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DVE

A Beginners Guide To Voodoo?

Guest Crow

I'm speaking specifically about Hoodoo and New Orleans Voodoo. I'm not aware of whether black salt is used in other spellcasting traditions under a different name or if the term "witches' salt" has a different meaning there.

In hoodoo it's used both as a hexing agent and for hex-breaking.

Ad from Google

Guest Crow

*points up to previous reply* I must have edited my post while you were writing yours!

Guest Rising Hero

Ha!Im not familiar with salt as a cursing agent.In the Grimoires it usually has protective virtues due to its incorruptibility.How does this feature in Voodoo?

Guest Crow

A hoodoo practitioner can use black salt as a hex, or "trick", by putting it in a glass bottle of war water, which is water in which rusty iron nails have been steeped. It's then broken on the doostep of an enemy and it activates when the target walks over it. It can also be used for hex-breaking, as I said, where it's sprinkled on your own doorstep or in the corners of a room.

Pomona

Actually, it would make sense that salt could be used as a malevolence/harming - it's one of those substances which is necessary in very small doses but too much is extremely harmful :D

Hmmm... *ponders* :P

Guest Freydis

Thanks, Crow, I'm finding this fascinating. I shall have to get hold of some of the books you recomended.

Frey

Guest Freydis
But I find interest in what HOS says as Tolkien might also be accredited with influencing modern heathenry and other pagan style systems in their perception of the unseen worlds.Thats what it looks like from the outside.

201489[/snapback]

Absolutely. Professor Tolkien and his friend, Professor Lewis obviously fell hook, line and sinker for the whole Christian conspiracy. Shame, really.

Have some popcorn. :P

201560[/snapback]

Pass the popcorn! Elrond and Gimli want some.

BTW RH - I preferred the Sooty avatar. Now that was cool.

Frey :D

Moonhunter
Actually, it would make sense that salt could be used as a malevolence/harming - it's one of those substances which is necessary in very small doses but too much is extremely harmful  :P

Hmmm...  *ponders*  :)

202140[/snapback]

I think I'll stick to aconite. More powerful and less harmful to the environment. :D

Guest Rising Hero

But that facilitates an illegal entry that may be your last.

Guest Herneoakshield
Witches salt is apparently a black type of salt? I may be corrected, but how do you "make" black salt? The book I've been studying from doesn't say what it consists of, but it isn't regular salt - --Snipped--

201933[/snapback]

for a few different Black Salt/Witches Salt recipes have a look here http://paethieon.com/portal/modules.php?na...article&sid=158

Moonhunter
But that facilitates an illegal entry that may be your last.

202151[/snapback]

A response to what, RH?

Moonhunter
Monkshood.

202156[/snapback]

You obviously don't use it the same way I do. :D

Moonhunter
No Im too cowardly though Im tempted by ecstatic experience :lol:

202163[/snapback]

Heh, don't use it for that. I'm told Thornapple's good, though. Don't do ethnogens myself.

Guest Rising Hero

Belladonna is the choice for entheogenic eroticism but better stick to Voodoo or get told off.What type of stuff is used in Voodoo rites to obtain ASC aside from ecstatic drumming?Please dont tell me about sacrifice of chickens as Im a bit squeamish.

Guest Crow

In short, rum. Lots and lots of rum. :lol: And absinthe occasionally. And dancing to the drums, obviously.

Guest Crow

Oh yes. It's poured for the Loa as an offering on the altar and the congregation drinks as well. People don't get falling down drunk though - that would hardly be appropriate or respectful - but my rituals always involve a good few shots of the Loa's tipple of choice.

Guest Rising Hero

I actually love the sound of your rituals.Is possession part of the criteria or is that nonsense from tv and film?

Guest Crow

Possession is definitely a part of Vodou, yes. It's very rare to get a full possession when the ceremony isn't being led by an initiated Houngan or Mambo, who knows certain ways of calling the Loa into possession, though. I've never undergone full possession myself, though I have seen it happen.

Low-grade trance where you feel the Loa moving through you is fairly common though, and I've experienced that quite a bit.

Pomona

Not adding anything constructive, but can I just say, this is all really interesting stuff :lol:

Guest Rising Hero
Possession is definitely a part of Vodou, yes. It's very rare to get a full possession when the ceremony isn't being led by an initiated Houngan or Mambo, who knows certain ways of calling the Loa into possession, though.  I've never undergone full possession myself, though I have seen it happen.

Low-grade trance where you feel the Loa moving through you is fairly common though, and I've experienced that quite a bit.

202177[/snapback]

Low grade sounds good to me!

Guest Tas Mania

Now this has become a VERY interesting thread - and on so many levels too! :lol:

Re the black salt - I have come across what is literally "blackish/grey" salt in somne Asian food shops. I bought some years ago and it has an earthy sort of taste, hard to describe. I had also found the same years before in a French supermarket. It seems to be rock salt tat hasn't been super refined. A bit like brown flour/sugar. It is stronger in potency to what we buy here too.

The good old "graveyard dust" made me chuckle when I noted it was in the "good salt" mix! Like I think I may have said earlier, funny how there are parallels between even apparently disparate practices from totally different (maybe?) parts of the world.

Ditto "possesion". Is it so very far removed from some Witch practices?

I could add that there is some awful Wiccan type pun in the fact that "possesion is nine tenths of the Law" - but I won't. :lol:

And thanks for the explanation about the candles/ingredients too DV - as I said, all fascinating stuff. Keep it coming!

Guest Rising Hero

Thats intriguing.Are you able to elaborate on a connection to witch practices?Im lost on that :(

Moonhunter
Possession is definitely a part of Vodou, yes. It's very rare to get a full possession when the ceremony isn't being led by an initiated Houngan or Mambo, who knows certain ways of calling the Loa into possession, though.  I've never undergone full possession myself, though I have seen it happen.

202177[/snapback]

ah, this is where I get seriously interested. :)

What is the difference (from your own observation, experience, or what you've been told) between full and low-grade possession?

Are those in low-grade trance aware of which Loa are moving through them?

Do those who enter full possession have any choice in which Loa?

Is it possession by a singular Loa (I'm assuming 'loa' is the plural) or more than one?

How is possession initiated and ended?

Is possession without calling or permission of the subject possible? If it is, what is its purpose and outcome?

Does possession ever take place outside Vodou ritual?

How long does a possession last for? How does it leave the person possessed (i.e. what emotional or physical state are they left in?)

All I can think of for now. :ph34r:

(yeah - I have been possessed. In various ways, by various gods)

Guest Tas Mania

Maybe "possesion" isn't the right word HR - I know what I mean, just not how to express it. Shamanistic experience? Another coming through you? Transmogrification which is a visual manifestation, but with me I also get a "knowing" about te person - or whatever it is!

Moonhunter
Maybe "possesion" isn't the right word HR - I know what I mean, just not how to express it. Shamanistic experience? Another coming through you? Transmogrification which is a visual manifestation, but with me I also get a "knowing" about te person - or whatever it is!

202336[/snapback]

I tend to put both what might be called 'shamanistic experience' and 'knowing' in a separate categories from possession. :)

Guest sabbatburn

voudoo is an import to this land and is absolutely nothing to do with this land,so I cannae see why its even relevant as a practise so called.

Further more please look up The Hansard Document or Hansard Papers on the internet pertaining if my memory serves me correctly to June 2006 or could be the previous year,where the Government are looking for a link between voudoo and witchcraft,and when you have read it,then you may not be quite so keen to admit you are a believer or practioner in either.