Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Cats Whiskers

Guest Leigh

i have a tendancy to collect the whiskers of my cats when they naturally drop out, i have more white ones than black but that's because we have dark carpets and furniture and the white ones are easier to spot

i was just wondering what i can use them for, other than looking pretty, when i started to pick them up i thought that one day i'd find a use for them, but i started a year ago and my collection has just built up (they lose a lot of whiskers)

does anyone have any ideas?

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I don't know of anything specific using cats whiskers (although I believe there is a section in DJ Conway's The Mysterious, Magickal Cat , Llewellyn, 1999, although the remainder of the book is somewhat less than inviting from what I've seen in its reviews...) which deals with spells involving cat hair and whiskers and the like.

Personally I would think that the whiskers could be used in any spell, ritual or journeywork involving the characteristics of the cat, in particular their ability to sense - the cat's whiskers are, as I'm sure you're aware, extremely sensitive to even the slightest touch (they will pick up on anything that displaces them by even a fractional amount, something like 2000 times less than the width of a human hair), and the cat uses them among other things to sense changes in their environment.

Much as you might use a feather in a working as a connection to a bird, or a bear or deerskin in order to adopt the characteristics of that animal in journeywork, you could use the cat's hair or whiskers to aid you as symbols of the skills and specialities of the cat.

:lol: :angry: i collect bones and i use to collect pubic hair(had to get rid of it as it started to smell) but i also collect whiskers,but i use them in my art...

:D

I found myself near the river's edge in August collecting Goose feathers. Don't know why but I still have them. It was an impulse. I probably thought they would 'come in handy' at some point in time. Actully, the quill on some of them look good. Maybe I'll try making quill pens :D

ohhhh, my boyfriend collects feathers and is looking for something to do with them, might suggest the quill ideas :o_grouphug:

i'm probably just a soppy pet owner

i never thought about the connection to their senses before, interesting thing to look into

*goes off pondering*

OK Leigh, I'm sorry, that was a perfectly reasonable question and I immediently went into crapulent mode, I apologise.

As Oxon indicated, It is a generally acepted concept that the natural characteristics of any animals and plants, might be utilised in a wide variety of ways and with varying effect by using physical elements from those plants and animals, according to preparation.

Cats wiskers? I tend to agree with Oxon that their most important characteristic is their sensitivity as far as the cat is concerned and therefore might be used by us accordingly.

The other "old wives tale" of course is that "if the wiskers will fit through, then the cat will fit through" but as most cats wiskers seem to have a spead much wider than it's body anyway I tend to think that the "old wife" that coined that phrase may have been under the influence of gin most of the time.

Quill pens? that was something of a childhood obsession with me, they tend to be rather scratchy and blotchy but maybe I was doing it wrong. I'll stick to biro's for now.

Edited by Dave

I made some quill pens once. They actually work! :)

The goose feathers themselves you can use to make arrow fletchings, but make sure they are all either right wing or left wing! :D

Dave, my belly button fluff's always pink! Weird or what?! :D

See! :) Oh ye of little faith! You should have believed Dave shouldn't you?! :)

When did you say you were going to deliver my free Under-The-Bed Man for saying that Dave?? :D :) :)

Thank you for your kind support there Eledhwen.

I am a little concerned however as you state that your belly button fluff is pink rather than blue.

I have only ever encountered blue belly button fluff.

I would not wish to alarm you but think that a trip to your doctor may be in order as I believe that the "pink" nature of your belly button fluff may be due to some kind if internal to external leakage.

It may just be a leaky hernia in which case you shouldn't worry too much as this can easily be repaired by competant surgeons by the performance of a small operation.

:o Urgh! :D

No it's ok Dave I've worked out the cause ~ it was the cerise mohair jumper I was wearing! :)

I've stopped wearing it now so alas, no more belly button fluff! :ph34r:

I wonder if BBF is dependent on whether or not one has an inny or outie?

O.K., enough already on the arguement of belly button fluff. Here is the definitive belly button fluff collector.

Belly Button Fluff

erm sorry to move away the belly button fluff conversation :D but back to cats for a mo:

i used some whiskers in a protection spell for my moggies. dunno why but if i find whiskers i have to pick them up and keep them, and yes i do know thats strange!!

:o_cat2:

now, i never thought about linking the whiskers to my cats in any spell/ritual

hmm, might have to do something about that for when i go to uni (when they're out at night they wake me up as i'm the only one insane enough to leave my window open to hear them otherwise they'll get to be very wet and soggy moggies)

and that link to the BBF collection is seriously disturbing :o_kiss:

• 4 months later...

I have a huge collection of bits of animals. I mean huge. Skins, Fox, Badger and Cat skulls, Blackbird skull, countless interesting feathers from Curlew, Tawny owl, Sparrowhawk, peregrine, Pheasant, Partridge, Green Woodpecker......allsorts....Fox vertebrae, Various wings, bird feet, rabbits feet and tails, a hares foot, long abandoned songbird eggs (of which i could technically get a big fat fine for possesing.. how ridiculous is thet?) Owl claws, bird tails, Fox brushes Frog bones,...............I havn't got a clue what to do with it all. I use some for decoration, some I make into jewelry........

But I agree....if you want to tap into the spirit/energies/characteristics of a species then their is nothing better than a part of them to attune you to the animal and to help focus your mind.