Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Superstitions - ...or are they?

Guest Athena

Bloomin' heck Oswulf!! You did some looking about to find the origins behind that lot  ;)

An onion a day keeps the el chupacabra away?

Nice one...and many other unwanted nasties too I think :lol:

~ H ~

207766[/snapback]

Na, thats my own work.Thats why it will be all wrong :D .No google or wiccy involved.Couldn't sleep last night.I need to get back into early night pattern before work starts again next week :D

Oswulf

:P

Edited by Oswulf

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I enjoyed reading all of that!

To add to Oswalfs' stuff :

-breaking a mirror brings 7 years bad luck.

I think that I read somewhere that's it's bad luck because the mirror reflects your soul.

TheAllKnowing link to Wiki about the Charcoal was very interesting! Eating Charcoal (edible one) is also recommended for people who have problems with gas i.e FARTING, Letting one rip and small explotions between the legs . Why do you think that they invented beans on toast!

-Two people should never cross hands when handshaking (i.e if there's four or more of you)

-killing spiders brings bad luck (also black cats and rabbits' feet superstitions i would think are unlucky for the cat and the rabbit!)

-To bring good luck in some cutures they say " To (or into) the mouth of the Wolf" and you're supposed to reply "go burst youself, or death to the wolf (symbolic)"

- saying 'go break a leg' brings good luck.

- Wearing the Horn of Plenty brings good luck. Also hanging one in your car prevents accidents

-hanging garlic on or near a baby's crib keeps evil spirits away

-pouring wine with your hand backwards brings bad luck

Myths:

- (back to hair again) A woman with a dark 'tash' (moustache) is a sign of a strong woman

-carry a potato whilst travelling prevents travel sickness

Edited by Athena

*If you walk under a ladder, you will have bad luck

That’s one of the best. Things can drop on your head if people are working above you.Even the ladder itself.   

I'd heard it was because you were "breaking the Trinity" - the triangle created by the ladder against a wall :P

To go back to Tas' one about burning bread, I was told it was because bread was the body of Christ.

*To break a mirror will bring you seven years bad luck

But, so the superstition goes, to break that bad luck, you need to break further the broken mirror (no, I've no idea either).

*An itchy palm means money will come your way

Pass but my Gran still says it.

Depends on the palm: I was told by my gran that if it's the right hand that itches, money will come your way, left hand, you're giving it away.

*Washing a car will bring rain

Pass .British sense of optimism in the weather?

Now that one DOES work. :lol: :D

*Warm hands, cold heart

Heard it, doesn’t always work some people don’t have a heart

*Cold hands, warm heart

Heard it

Something to do with circulation - blood in the extremeties means the heart is cooler, and the opposite if the extremeties are cold? I was told in First Aid that if someone's suffering from hypothermia, you make sure you warm their heart first because the blood rushing to warmed extremeties can cause heart failure :D

*Wearing an opal when it is not your birthstone is bad luck

Can’t see it myself , see above

I'd heard it was because opals are fairly delicate and can shatter. Don't know if that would make it less unlucky if it was your birthstone though!

*To give someone a purse or wallet without money in it will bring that person bad luck

Pass

Oh yeah, I've always been told this - I think there's an element of sympathetic magick in this one - hand over a purse with money and you're encouraging more money into said purse. I've got a few purses in the house and I always make sure I have some money in them, even just some coppers. I'd never hand over a purse as a present without money ;)

I have to say though, I think some superstitions/sayings are there simply because they happen to rhyme rather than any deeper mystical meaning. :D

The belief that silver and garlic ward away evil could arise from the fact that they have anti-bacterial properties (I think gold does too).

Saying ‚Äėbless you‚Äô after someone sneezes prevents the devil from entering them and throwing salt over your shoulder ward off the devil.

Edited by Yarrow

I used to have LOADS of supersitions especially rituals i HAD to do to ward off bad luck for the coming year... any way one year i did them all and my mum died (as she was probably due to anyway) ive never kept them since .It was getting stupid any i heard i did or belived . so now i try not to look at supersitions (just incase I start again ) this Discusions been HELL for me rofl

never picking up your own gloves?

hows that unlucky and what do you do if your own your lonesome?

i am kinda superstitious, so i will leave until either hubby comes home, or a friend comes round.....i have no idea why, but it was something my mum always told me, mind you she is a bit batty!! (in a good way of course!)

• 4 months later...

I learned a great Ugandan superstition.

You must never sit too close to or share cups/cutlery with your in-laws (and neither must our in-laws intermix too closely), otherwise you get a shaking disease (like Parkinson’s).

If it rains when you hang our washing out someone you know will die - it always does this to me so by rights I should be running out of family!

Same if an owl screeches. Bit like the Banshee I guess.

I'd heard the rain came from spiders? Mind you, living in the spot where the weather systems from across the Pond start to collapse, I think controlling the weather may be an awful lot of responsibility to place on someone's shoulders, even if they do have eight of them.

I always spit when I see a white horse. Lucky, apparently.

207664[/snapback]

Bit strange when you start yelling 'spit spit spit' and globbing around the place. Must you tell it your spitting at it?

I HAVE found gold at the end of a rainbow, when I was 8. It was in the Lakedistrict, by ullswater, I found pyrite and a lamb sat on my knee. One of my most abiding memories of my grandfather.

i was told that the reason you get 7 years bad luck for breaking a mirror is because back in the day they were really expensive and it would take 7 years for you to pay for it,how true that is i dont know ,i wish i could remember where i heard it

I've heard that too. Again, don't know if it's true but I wouldn't be surprised if it were an old wives tale.

Folks in Europe are VERY superstitious about Black cats being extremely unlucky! There have been quite a few road accidents here because if a black cat happens to shoot across the road ahead, a driver will stop and decide to turn back, finding and an alternative route! I have witnessed this! :D

Funny, here Mrs W's family consider black cats lucky, but my family consider them unlucky. It seems different areas have different ideas about them.

Oh, and everytime Mrs W sees a magpie she says "Good morning, sir." I don't know why.

:D Mr Snippety says "Good morning, Mr Magpie" and does a kind of tip your hat salute ! He considers the magpie one of his totem animals though - had a top hat with a magpie's wing in the band ( glad that finally wore out ! It was creepy and reminded me of the Crow Man off Worzel Gummidge ! :D ), and has made a dreamcatcher for our son from magpie feathers.

I don't really have any superstitions I can think of. :( Maybe I just class mine all as common sense :D

Italian males when hearing about ill fortune or death or anything considered bad luck grab their balls.

also if you turn back because you have forgotten something you muct sit down and count to ten no matter how much of a hurry you are in before setting off again

I always throw salt into my right hand and over my left shoulder after spilling it.

This is said to have come from ye olde times when salt was very expensive, and the salt was to blind the devil to stop him punishing you for your stupidness in spilling the expensive salt!

I always throw salt into my right hand and over my left shoulder after spilling it.

This is said to have come from ye olde times when salt was very expensive, and the salt was to blind the devil to stop him punishing you for your stupidness in spilling the expensive salt!

238452[/snapback]

Blind the Devil :o_yikes:

The ancient Greeks and Romans used salt in rituals. It's also a good way to nullify a gypsy curse apparently (if they cursed you in your home, after they have left throw the salt in their direction).

If you spilled your salt it was once believed that it would awaken evil spirits. So you threw some over your shoulder because salt is a good purifier.

speaking of salt, sinners used to be turned into pillars of salt :P  :lol:

238519[/snapback]

Can't have been a rare commodity back in those days then, if the accounts of the number of sinners is correct ;)

speaking of salt, sinners used to be turned into pillars of salt :o  ;)

238519[/snapback]

Can't have been a rare commodity back in those days then, if the accounts of the number of sinners is correct :P

238520[/snapback]

Actuallly, it depended on the type of salt, as you had your 'rough' Rock salt, your 'okay' Kosher salt, 'thick as a' Table salt, 'Didn't predict it coming See salt, Hand-harvested salt :lol: and the rarest and most expensive one, your Pure Salt!

Interested to hear Thinair's Ugandan superstition about sitting with your in-laws. I was reading a book about Australian Traditions some time back. Apparently a married man is in many tribes not allowed to speak directly to his Mother-in-Law. Somebody else must act as intermediary! In still other tribes, there is a whole other language in which a Mother-in-Law and Son-in-Law must speak to each other!

Shoes on a table being bad luck : certainly it's a hygene issue. Seems sensible to me. For most people their only table would be the kitchen table, so keep those shoes and boots off it.

Walking under a ladder: lynch mobs used to arrange for hangings to be carried out with the victim presented himself walking about his usual haunts. Ladders would be used as impromptu gibbets. You don't walk under a ladder in case someone drops a noose over your head. Pretty compelling, I'd say.

I bought 'Nexus' magazine for the first time today and there was an article in it regarding 'ionic silver' and its potential for curing all sorts of illness due to it encouraging the body to produce its own stem cells.

I can't vouch for the science in the article but there was interesting information regarding superstitions surrounding silver including the belief that drinking out of a silver cup would not lead you catching a disease if sharing the cup; putting a silver coin in a bottle of milk to prevent it spoiling and the use of silver tableware by the wealthy. The article didn't mention it but I wondered if there was a link here to werewolf superstition regarding 'silver' bullets...

Anybody know of any other superstitions involving silver?

You're supposed to move your silver from one pocket to another when you see the New Moon. Or is it the Full Moon? Dashed if I know...

The "White Rabbits" bit at the first of the month:

The "Month" used to be the Moon. And the First of the Month would be the New Moon (or the Full Moon...). The animal in the moon is Gearr (Shorty), the sacred Hare. And you must remind people of the sacred animal without mentioning what kind of animal it is.

In my family it was "Rabbits, rabbits Rabbits". None of that "Pinch, punch" nonsense either.

Oh, and everytime Mrs W sees a magpie she says "Good morning, sir." I don't know why.

237693[/snapback]

i do that and you have to salute as well,i do it all the time and dont even know why,i must look like a right loony to my neighbours cos my house is surrounded by trees full of magpies :)

You're supposed to say, "Good morning mister magpie, and how's the family"

or "how's Mrs Magpie?" or variations thereof.

The whole point being that everyone knows that one magpie brings bad luck, two for joy, three for a girl.....

If you only see one magpie but enquire after the rest of the family it presupposes more than one magpie, so no bad luck.

The whole point being that everyone knows that one magpie brings bad luck, two for joy, three for a girl.....

239967[/snapback]

So when ever you see three of them ...... you should reach for the 12 bore.