Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Athena

Superstitions - ...or are they?

Ember Autumn Rose

Superstitions I believe it:

- Walking around ladders instead of under 'em - common sense really, I don't want to injure someone if I knock it...or have anything fall on me!

- Touch wood: not sure if this has been mentioned but I think it's root is from touching a cross (Christianity). Not sure how much of that's true, or whether I've made that up. But I always touch wood incase I tempt Fate as it were :)

- Magpies - A favourite bird of mine :) I recite the poem depending on how many I see. I see them as messengers. I know when I was going through a stressful time....many turned up at my college grounds.

- Silver in a purse - I think it's a nice gesture :) and perhaps a little representative of never wishing an empty purse on another.

- Cats - lovely creatures, don't see any bad luck from them :)

Ad from Google

Isrith

What a fun topic! Really enjoyed reading everyone's replies :) I'm adding a few that I didn't see mentioned.

These three come from my mum:

Never give soap as a gift. It will wash the friendship away.

It's bad luck to bring peacock feathers, or depictions of peacock feathers, into the house.

If you cut into a hot loaf, a ship will go down at sea.

And this one that comes from the States, which I always do. When traveling and you see a bale of hay in a field, say this rhyme and follow with the action for good luck:

"A bale of hay, a bale of hay. Make a wish, and turn away!"

Edited by Isrith

Freydis

From my Grandma (who had a superstition to fit every situation):

Never knit near the outer door after Christmas. It will make the winter last longer. (I don't knit, but my daughter swears that this is true.)

If it rains when you're moving house, that's good. You will have good fortune in your new home.

If you spill something, you'll have a visit from an old friend. (I don't believe this one. If I had a visit from an old friend every time I spilt something I'd be running a hotel. :D )

• Like 2

Isrith

Never knit near the outer door after Christmas. It will make the winter last longer. (I don't knit, but my daughter swears that this is true.)

I've never heard this one before! I'd really like to put it to the test. On the other hand I don't want to make winter last any longer than it needs to. Decisions, decisions. . . Lol ;)

• Like 1

Wynnfrith

I grew up with idea of putting new shoes on the table or using a bent nail being bad luck... I could never do either of them!

• Like 1

Wynnfrith

Not eating sprouts until after the first frost!

BeingMyself

I don't know if this is a superstition or not, but as a girl, if I had to go to church for any reason, I would cross my fingers on both hands (sort of along the lines that if you promised something and kept your fingers cross, then it wouldn't be a promise kept). It was my get out clause during prayers so that I could get out of promising something I knew I couldn't keep.

It came up in conversation the otherday, and my mum said she use to do the same thing.

Moonhunter

Hmm... my mother had the ones about shoes and peacock feathers. I reckon the shoes one was to prevent dirt and infection, while the peacock feathers was the "evil eye". I'm pretty sure even my mother made that last connection!

She hated the colour green, as well. You wouldn't believe the fight I had to have green wallpaper as a teenager. :rolleyes: And that wasn't a personal aversion - it was a real superstition on her part. Though whether anyone else shared it, I have no idea!

Pomona

Yep. The shoes are the "dirt on the table" idea - common sense really! And my mum wouldn't have peacock feathers in the house for the evil eye reason - I can only assume that it was a learned superstition as I've never heard my mum mention the evil eye.

Isrith

She hated the colour green, as well. You wouldn't believe the fight I had to have green wallpaper as a teenager. :rolleyes: And that wasn't a personal aversion - it was a real superstition on her part. Though whether anyone else shared it, I have no idea!

Green - that colour belongs to the fairies, or so I was always told.

• Like 1

BeingMyself

My Nan also had an aversion to the colour green. Dad used to have a green Vauxhall car and she point blank refused to get in it saying it was unlucky and would catch the bus to our house instead, which was a bit strange, cos the buses round here were green back in the day

• Like 3

Guest Ladybird2015

I remember being told 'Blue and Green should never be seen, except upon The Fairy queen'...From the Irish Celtic side of my Genetic Horde. :rolleyes:

Other than that i know not from whence it comes.

I also heard the One..'Shoes on a table, death of a child'...suspect that one has to do with being clean where you eat??

Spill the salt, throw a pinch over your left shoulder to blind the Devil! (Catholics again!) :o_devil:

• Like 1