Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Superstitions - ...or are they?

Guest Athena

Superstitions I believe it:

- Walking around ladders instead of under 'em - common sense really, I don't want to injure someone if I knock it...or have anything fall on me!

- Touch wood: not sure if this has been mentioned but I think it's root is from touching a cross (Christianity). Not sure how much of that's true, or whether I've made that up. But I always touch wood incase I tempt Fate as it were :)

- Magpies - A favourite bird of mine :) I recite the poem depending on how many I see. I see them as messengers. I know when I was going through a stressful time....many turned up at my college grounds.

- Silver in a purse - I think it's a nice gesture :) and perhaps a little representative of never wishing an empty purse on another.

- Cats - lovely creatures, don't see any bad luck from them :)

• 1 year later...
Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

What a fun topic! Really enjoyed reading everyone's replies :) I'm adding a few that I didn't see mentioned.

These three come from my mum:

Never give soap as a gift. It will wash the friendship away.

It's bad luck to bring peacock feathers, or depictions of peacock feathers, into the house.

If you cut into a hot loaf, a ship will go down at sea.

And this one that comes from the States, which I always do. When traveling and you see a bale of hay in a field, say this rhyme and follow with the action for good luck:

"A bale of hay, a bale of hay. Make a wish, and turn away!"

Edited by Isrith

From my Grandma (who had a superstition to fit every situation):

Never knit near the outer door after Christmas. It will make the winter last longer. (I don't knit, but my daughter swears that this is true.)

If it rains when you're moving house, that's good. You will have good fortune in your new home.

If you spill something, you'll have a visit from an old friend. (I don't believe this one. If I had a visit from an old friend every time I spilt something I'd be running a hotel. :D )

• Like 1

Never knit near the outer door after Christmas. It will make the winter last longer. (I don't knit, but my daughter swears that this is true.)

I've never heard this one before! I'd really like to put it to the test. On the other hand I don't want to make winter last any longer than it needs to. Decisions, decisions. . . Lol ;)

I grew up with idea of putting new shoes on the table or using a bent nail being bad luck... I could never do either of them!

I don't know if this is a superstition or not, but as a girl, if I had to go to church for any reason, I would cross my fingers on both hands (sort of along the lines that if you promised something and kept your fingers cross, then it wouldn't be a promise kept). It was my get out clause during prayers so that I could get out of promising something I knew I couldn't keep.

It came up in conversation the otherday, and my mum said she use to do the same thing.

Hmm... my mother had the ones about shoes and peacock feathers. I reckon the shoes one was to prevent dirt and infection, while the peacock feathers was the "evil eye". I'm pretty sure even my mother made that last connection!

She hated the colour green, as well. You wouldn't believe the fight I had to have green wallpaper as a teenager. :rolleyes: And that wasn't a personal aversion - it was a real superstition on her part. Though whether anyone else shared it, I have no idea!

Yep. The shoes are the "dirt on the table" idea - common sense really! And my mum wouldn't have peacock feathers in the house for the evil eye reason - I can only assume that it was a learned superstition as I've never heard my mum mention the evil eye.

She hated the colour green, as well. You wouldn't believe the fight I had to have green wallpaper as a teenager. :rolleyes: And that wasn't a personal aversion - it was a real superstition on her part. Though whether anyone else shared it, I have no idea!

Green - that colour belongs to the fairies, or so I was always told.

My Nan also had an aversion to the colour green. Dad used to have a green Vauxhall car and she point blank refused to get in it saying it was unlucky and would catch the bus to our house instead, which was a bit strange, cos the buses round here were green back in the day

• 5 months later...

I remember being told 'Blue and Green should never be seen, except upon The Fairy queen'...From the Irish Celtic side of my Genetic Horde. :rolleyes:

Other than that i know not from whence it comes.

I also heard the One..'Shoes on a table, death of a child'...suspect that one has to do with being clean where you eat??

Spill the salt, throw a pinch over your left shoulder to blind the Devil! (Catholics again!) :o_devil:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Nettle
      I have only ever been a Christian on paper lol. When visiting hospitals I would give the CofE answer when asked about my beliefs. I didn‚Äôt really even know what it meant. As a child I often prayed to God. But could probably count on two hands the amount of times I have attended church. Obviously at school I sang hymns¬†and recited the Lord‚Äôs Prayer. But I never went deep into it. My family is not religious. I have never been deeply influenced by Christianity. I have always been spiritual though. The weirdest thing is when I started on this journey it actually allowed me to gain deeper understanding of the Christ spirit. For many years I sought a shamanic technique¬†called the ‚Äúfierce eye‚Ä̬†technique. This technique as I believed at the time would allow me to command any spirit. I could banish them or destroy them at a glance. My long search for this technique allowed me to find and connect with many interesting things but never allowed me to unravel¬†the mysteries of the fierce eye technique. One day I had vision. In the vision - between the two doors - I saw a man standing at the corner of a street near to where I live. It was daytime but there was nothing else around. Nothing moved. It was as if every living thing was¬†asleep. I approached the man who as I was drawing closer turned to regard my approach. What I saw blew my mind away. The love I felt emanating from this strangers eyes was so powerful, so all consuming, utterly accepting¬†that I fell to my knees and started weeping with happiness. The love was so unconditional, so total and all encompassing. It took my breath away. I eventually awakened from this vision thinking what the hell was that all about? I did not realise until later that I had been shown the ‚Äúfierce eye‚ÄĚ technique. I had been mistaken in my assumptions as to what the ‚Äúfierce eye‚Ä̬†technique was all about. It was not about destroying something,¬†Commanding something¬†or even banishing something. It‚Äôs power lies in acceptance. I later realised that the being I had seen in my vision was the Christ spirit. The Christ spirit is also a Great Fool.¬† Who would have believed it,¬†that I would find¬†Christ following a pagan path lol. The irony was fitting. And made me realise just how limited I had allowed myself to be. The few times I have gone to church recently since this experience¬†(my son used to attend a CofE school) I feel very happy. Overjoyed even. A little mischievous.¬†I know I am welcome there even though I do not take up the mantle of Christian. I feel at home, accepted, even though I am a pagan. I feel very¬†welcome within the church.
    • Nettle
      I have several. Stone rabbit is one of my guides. He is a stone around the size of a medium sized hand, that is in the shape of a rabbits head (in profile) that I found many years ago and kept. On one side he has a mark that looks like an open eye, on the other side it looks as if he has lost that eye. Stone rabbit is master at navigating mazes/webways. When I want him to see something within the mundane I turn his head so his eye can observe. If I am going on a journey I have his lost eye side observing. He comes on my walks with me and I carry him in a bag around my neck.
    • Roundtuit
      Thank you.  Yes, I'm starting to think it's the journey that matters.   What a gorgeous image!  I'd love to get back to the fells, there's something new around very corner there.    
    • Stonehugger
      I've had varying degrees and natures of commitment to Christianity since I was at school but I've also always had pagan leanings and for quite a long time now my path has been entirely pagan. It's unproblematic in that my family and friends think it's harmless eccentricity, but I imagine it would be different if I took a strongly pagan stance on something. For me personally it's important to listen to what's going on around me and work out my path accordingly, so I celebrate the presence of many paths up the same mountain and have no concerns about reaching the top. I imagine that, like almost any walk in the fells, what currently looks like the top is just another place to see the next top from. Definitely!! ūüėĀ
    • Ellinas
      Well, I've been called many things in my time... I'm also a former Christian, with a chequered history (Anglican, in the guise of the Church in Wales, then Plymouth Brethren with the odd foray into the Baptists along the way).  I fell out with Christianity in the early 2000's, when I was late 30's, early 40's. Since then, the general nature of my meanderings has remained fairly constant, but the details and contents have changed over time.  That's fine.  The journey is the issue, not the destination.  Ithaca calls, but Phoenician markets and Egyptian cities have the greater import (poetic reference - just means follow your path and hope to arrive late, if at all).  What I believe tomorrow may be very different to what I believe today.  What I believed yesterday is just a stepping stone. In short, don't worry about what you have been, as it is merely the pathway that got you to what you are, and don't worry about where you are going, there are any number of bye-ways for you to explore. As to others - I have struggled with family pressures and the tyranny of monotheistic faith.  I understand your position and have no issue with a softly-softly approach such as you describe.  In fact, it is the best way unless you are prepared to create and weather a family rift. Dangerous statement.  Talk about tempting fate...!