Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest otaku

Herb Magic Books

Guest otaku

Does anyone have any good reccomendations? Im new to Herb magic, so something simple, but not twaddle!

xx

Ad from Google

Guest Tas Mania

Avoid Scott Cunningham like the plague!

Try Googling for Sacred Texts to see what they have on things herbal - you could save yourself a few bob!

The Links Forum should also have sites on herbs etc.

Edited by Tas Mania

Guest Theallknowing

Hi Otaku,

I second Tas' caution, avoid things written by Scott Cunningham or books published by LLewlylen (sp?)

As a herbalist I have found many of the old folk lore and herbal remedy books useful; try searching in old book shops!

The four useful books in terms of herb lore and magick for me were;

- Culpepper's Complete Herbal

A must have for anyone interested in using herbs to heal, it gives explanations of the plants and the records of tried and tested remedies and their correspondances.

- The Elements of Natural Magic Marian Green

I am a bit of a fan of Marian if I'm honest, I have found her work and most things published by Aquarain really useful.

- The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs Richard Alan Miller

Really useful and a good insight drawing cultural and domestic uses and putting them into context.

- A Modern Herbal Mrs M. Grieves

A good and accurate and resourcefull 'Herbal' A must for anyone working with herbs.

If I can help at all then just ask.

Bright Blessings

TAK

Guest Thinair

See my post to your question on supermarket herbs for Hyslop and Ratcliffe - truly one of the best. Think there's a thread in links too - Mrs. Grieves is a classic, as is Culpepper's colour herbal. The link to the 1911 pharmaceutical codex (in above) is also like looking at a giant herbal dictionary :)

Culpeper might tickle your fancy as he was big on the magical aspect of herbs too. There's a book called Culpeper's Medicine or summat which goes into quie a bit of detail.

Guest otaku

Thankyou so much, im gonna have a look for them online now! :)

xx

Hi Otaku,

I second Tas' caution, avoid things written by Scott Cunningham or books published by LLewlylen (sp?)

As a herbalist I have found many of the old folk lore and herbal remedy books useful; try searching in old book shops!

The four useful books in terms of herb lore and magick for me were;

- Culpepper's                                  Complete Herbal

A must have for anyone interested in using herbs to heal, it gives explanations of the plants and the records of tried and tested remedies and their correspondances.

- The Elements of Natural Magic        Marian Green

I am a bit of a fan of Marian if I'm honest, I have found her work and most things published by Aquarain really useful.

- The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs  Richard Alan Miller

Really useful and a good insight drawing cultural and domestic uses and putting them into context.

- A Modern Herbal                          Mrs M. Grieves

A good and accurate and resourcefull 'Herbal' A must for anyone working with herbs.

If I can help at all then just ask.

Bright Blessings

TAK

209847[/snapback]

Guest otaku

Thankies for your help! I shall check out the link x

See my post to your question on supermarket herbs for Hyslop and Ratcliffe - truly one of the best. Think there's a thread in links too - Mrs. Grieves is a classic, as is Culpepper's colour herbal. The link to the 1911 pharmaceutical codex (in above) is also like looking at a giant herbal dictionary :)

Culpeper might tickle your fancy as he was big on the magical aspect of herbs too. There's a book called Culpeper's Medicine or summat which goes into quie a bit of detail.

209850[/snapback]

Guest Winter waiting
Does anyone have any good reccomendations?  Im new to Herb magic, so something simple, but not twaddle!

xx

209824[/snapback]

Culpeppers complete herbal is g8. You can get original script versions which add a dimension unlike others. 5000 spells by Judika somthing or other (v popular) has good basic listings telling you exactly what dragon blood is for example and my own beginers best (dont snigger!) is Tatianas Enchanted. Yes its Ladybird for kitchen crafting but ive had some massive success building up my owns spells from its frilly fairy wording. All good basic stuff to start with.

andy9xyz
Culpeppers complete herbal is g8.
It's recommended by Gordon Brown, George Bush, Vladimir Putin et al? :o_grouphug:

Guest Winter waiting
Culpeppers complete herbal is g8.
It's recommended by Gordon Brown, George Bush, Vladimir Putin et al? :P

210131[/snapback]

I meant Gr8, funny boy. ;)

Ember Autumn Rose

*Reviving*

It's based on Culpeper, but I like Breverton's Complete Herbal for dipping in and out of.