Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Theallknowing

How Do You Know? - A question to ponder..

Guest Theallknowing

I was recently asked by a friend..." How do you know that you are a pagan?"

As I tried to reply, my thoughts were...well, it feels right, it's inside me, my gut tells me, I am home, my gods have guided me and made themselves known yadda yadda etc etc...

This got me onto thinking exactly how do I know?

As you may know I cam from a Christian background (as did many) and made an oddly too common diversion through buddhism and then into Paganism (for want of a better word) then on arriving I knew this was right.

I was wondering what your journeys were in terms of; How do you know this is the right path for you?

hmmmmmm.......................... :ph34r:

TAK

Ad from Google

Guest Wulfric

Pagan is just a catch-all term. I don't consider myself pagan but heathen (as I follow heathenry).

How do you know? Different for everyone I suspect but it boils down to what sits right with you, what speaks to you, and also that you may not have much choice - sometimes the gods come along, point, and bellow "You, that man there!" That's what happened in my case.

Guest Swanhild

You know you pagan because 'it feels like home'.

Everything just clicks into place and you know you have found 'your' path - whatever flavour it might be.

Skegga

Guest Julai

I have no idea if I'm a pagan or not. Maybe I shouldn't be on this forum, actually. But luckily there aren't any exams in it.

When you talk of paths, again, I have no idea what path I'm on. I keep meandering onto other paths. They mostly seem to go in roughly the same direction, although sometimes they don't even seem to be paths at all, just wild forgings-ahead through the undergrowth.

Does anybody here realise that even if you don't consciously follow a path, you will still go on rolling down the slope towards death? That's a path too!

I think for me, if I feel OK about myself and I've got satisfying stuff to do and nice people to do it with, the path isn't so important.

Guest Jesba
Does anybody here realise that even if you don't consciously follow a path, you will still go on rolling down the slope towards death? That's a path too!

That is very much how I feel about my 'path'. It's just about how I live my life until I die. Nothing more, nothing less. It encompasses my beliefs, experiences, interests, family, friends, career, etc.

My life is my path.

fizzyclare1

well, there's no q&a sheet to tell ya what you are in anything, so I guess its a very subjective thing really, but here's my two penneth.

Nature is in my face all the time, its there, its living, its important. So that's one reason, I guess.

The second reason is that nature feels really alive and I sort of interact with it, I don't get that from other religions, its all about obey laws of whoever. that's not in my experience. god has never spoken to me so, for me anyway, god does not exist.

Wights, landspirits on the other hand, I sense the presence of quite a bit, they don't 'speak' as such to me but I know they are there, intuitively speaking 'cos I get happy feelings when I do certain stuff, (they particularly like me to tend my garden - especially woodchip/bark for some reason).

Do certain wights have a preference for decorative bark?

um...anyway back to the question in hand, with regard to other deities (eg pagan ones), I really don't know, I am sort of starting to make sense of what a deity might be but it doesn't follow the idea of a catch all 'goddess' or an individual 'person' type of deity either.

not all together sure that deity is the right word either. great spirit maybe better term but not sure about that either.

Either way, its nature first for me.

fizz

Guest woozle

'fraid i don't have a path, I'm in a large van with comfy seats but no steering wheel and no brakes hurtling down the motorway at 150kph at night in the fog. I don't think you decide. They do, the gods, goddesses, weird things and the like.

On what makes you a pagan?... absolutely no idea. It's one of those questions like, why are we here? very difficult to answer. I hope somebody defines it.

Guest twistedpath

Hello,

In answer to your question, short and sweet no idea how I knew, I just did some how.

It just feels right, even when I’m not actively reading, studying, practicing etc it is still there somewhere within me just waiting for the time to come back into my life.

I think of it as a tree, yep now I sound all strange. I see paganism as a tree and then all the branches coming off are the different paths. Like climbing a tree it can be hard and you can fall and end up right at the bottom of again but you either get back up or you walk away.

Ooo I sound like a raving looney!! :D

In terms of my path, I don’t define it or perhaps I would be better saying that I can’t define it yet. I can probably say what I’m not but not what I am.

So there’s a nice none answer.

hehe

Guest NANEVA

My life is my path.

219764[/snapback]

I like that!!!! My life is my path......... :D

Guest wolverine
I think of it as a tree, yep now I sound all strange. I see paganism as a tree and then all the branches coming off are the different paths. Like climbing a tree it can be hard and you can fall and end up right at the bottom of again but you either get back up or you walk away.

Ooo I sound like a raving looney!! o_youpi.gif

mmm, this sounds familiar ! Now what would that Tree be c010.gif

Ah, yes of course !

Yggdrasil :)

But instead of paths, there are Worlds.

Hang on a sec, that's Heathenry B)

:rolleyes:

Guest woozle
[

Hang on a sec, that's Heathenry  B) 

:rolleyes:

220010[/snapback]

Why would you want to heat henry? (sorry, couldn't resist it) :) :P :P

Guest Inverurie Jones

219968[/snapback]

Going up and down the World Axis? Isn't that Shamanism...?

Guest wolverine
[

Hang on a sec, that's Heathenry  :o 

:o_cat2:

220010[/snapback]

Why would you want to heat henry? (sorry, couldn't resist it) :P :P :P

220021[/snapback]

tease.gif

:huh:

Guest SpiralShaman

Like others have said, I think paganism and being pagan is a catch all for a whole myriad of different beliefs. I call myself a pagan. Its easier than saying a blend of anamistic and shamanistic beliefs with a little bit of hedgewitchery thrown in. Its also a good point that people bring up that their life is their path..... As everyone percieves things slightly differently so everyones personal beliefs will be slightly different, no matter what religion or spiritual path they espouse to follow. I think people use these labels to give themselves a sense of identity and self as well as a sense of group identity and belonging (after all it is quite nice to feel like you belong somewhere B) ).

So yes I'm a pagan, because its the lowest common denominator. It's an easy way for people like us to find each other, and then discuss the diversity of our beliefs, think outside the box, and learn from each other.

Also I think its a nicer term than 'Nutters'! :D

Guest woozle
So yes I'm a pagan, because its the lowest common denominator. 

Also I think its a nicer term than 'Nutters'! :D

222163[/snapback]

Lowest common denominator - yet another phrase worth writing on my wall. Sums it up perfectly in my opinion.

Must partly disagree with nutter. I love the word. If said with a welsh accent, even better.

Guest Gryphon
Anything beats Cockney!

222169[/snapback]

Was watching Beowolf last night. The Cockney accent made it really surreal :o_bounce: .

Guest Inverurie Jones

Weirder than 'THIS IS FIFE...I MEAN, SPARTA!'?

Edited by Inverurie Jones

Guest Gryphon
Weirder than 'THIS IS FIFE...I MEAN, SPARTA!'?

222246[/snapback]

Yea, it'll take a lot to beet the I am from Fife ahhem Beowolf actually

Guest Lelthehun

My school was Christian, well, it wasn't, but singing hymms, saying the lords prayer, bible class etc, was pretty much forced. You couldn't get out of it. So growing up I was pretty much told this was the only way, the only right way.

So as soon as you realise you have the option to explore, you realise Christianity is a hmmm, I don't want to offend anyone here with lots and lots of vulgarity, so I'll leave it. But to make a point clearer, I did the same thing as you it seems, moved from buddhism (Taoism in my case) to heathenism. And yeah, you get those warm gutty feelings, the bubbles, and you just know it's the way forward for you. It makes me angry how Christianity came about, a thieving religion.... okay, I'm going to leave it:)

Guest Kristofski

The question "how do you know you're pagan?" reminds me very much of the question "how do you know you're gay?", to which of course the only acceptable responce is "well, how do you know you're straight?" :)

I recently asked an entity I was conversing with in a trance state if I should call myself a Witch, and his responce was "you are who you are and you do what you do, if it serves you to refer to yourself as "witch" then so be it". Which I think is pretty good advice when it comes to any lables, including "Pagan"

Guest Theallknowing
The question "how do you know you're pagan?" reminds me very much of the question "how do you know you're gay?", to which of course the only acceptable responce is "well, how do you know you're straight?" :D

I recently asked an entity I was conversing with in a trance state if I should call myself a Witch, and his responce was "you are who you are and you do what you do, if it serves you to refer to yourself as "witch" then so be it". Which I think is pretty good advice when it comes to any lables, including "Pagan"

228706[/snapback]

Oh no Kristofski, I am gay and a Pagan........but how do I know? :D

Guest Tas Mania

How do you know what you're not? Not that it worries me in the slightest!

I know that I know what I'm not...

Guest Theallknowing
How do you know what you're not? Not that it worries me in the slightest!

I know that I know what I'm not...

228762[/snapback]

But how do you know Tas? :D

Guest ~Rachel~

I thought I answered this!

Anyway, in a way I have always been pagan. Hell, I was doing 'spells' before I knew about witchcraft! (I'd get plants together, mush them together and say little chants). I was always fascinated with nature, and often carried pebbles and feathers and whatever else home. Then in school, we learnt about ancient cultures etc. and it just really spoke to me. I then read in a magazine about this 'white' witch and it gave you tips where to research wicca. That is what I done. I then realised Wicca wasn't for me, and now I associate with Pagan.

I did go to a Christian school, well we sang hymns and that. But I have never been brought up in any religion.

Guest Theallknowing
I consulted the Pecti-Wicca-Faery-Oracle cards of course! Silly!

228783[/snapback]

Ah....The Pecti-Wicca-Faery-Oracle cards, silly me. Apologies.... ;)

Guest woozle
The question "how do you know you're pagan?" reminds me very much of the question "how do you know you're gay?", to which of course the only acceptable responce is "well, how do you know you're straight?" :wacko:

228706[/snapback]

er.......wot??

Guest woodlander
You know you are a pagan when you realize that trees are there for more reasons than making garden decking and to fill IKEA flat packs.When you take control of your life and use  natural resources and spiritual reality in a partnership to help you do that....and because you are a great fun and loving person. :ph34r:

I was recently asked by a friend..." How do you know that you are a pagan?"

As I tried to reply, my thoughts were...well, it feels right, it's inside me, my gut tells me, I am home, my gods have guided me and made themselves known yadda yadda etc etc...

This got me onto thinking exactly how do I know?

As you may know I cam from a Christian background (as did many) and made an oddly too common diversion through buddhism and then into Paganism (for want of a better word) then on arriving I knew this was right.

I was wondering what your journeys were in terms of; How do you know this is the right path for you?

hmmmmmm.......................... :blink:

TAK

219685[/snapback]

:P :o_dance: :o_dance: :o_dance: :o_dance: :o_dance:

Guest badgersmoon

Not so much a path as a windy, semi-obliterated sheep-track, meandering over the heath and through the woods, occasionally tripping over interesting roots and banging my head on overhanging branches. It's the sudden peat-bogs I find the most disturbing.

BM

xx