Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Theallknowing

How Do You Know? - A question to ponder..

Guest CornishShaman

I was raised Spiritualist, thought Christianity was a bit boring, always loved Native American stuff, discovered the Runes at school, got into Kung Fu, looked into Taoism, got into Healing, decided to look what was about in this Country religion wise, discovered Druidry, met Pagans, found it all fascinating and had lots of experiences, looked into Norse, loved it, especially with the added humour, looked into Wicca, found it and Druidry a bit Hierarchical, but liked many of the ideas, discovered other forms of Shamanism, then just went my own way down that route, sort of! It was Interesting, Fun, Practical and felt right for me, it all just geled!

Ad from Google

Guest morbidia

i feel at home with it,its just my lifestyle,i have meanderd off my path a few times but i keep coming back,in the end i took the hint and stayed here

Guest lone_witch9
I was recently asked by a friend..." How do you know that you are a pagan?"

As I tried to reply, my thoughts were...well, it feels right, it's inside me, my gut tells me, I am home, my gods have guided me and made themselves known yadda yadda etc etc...

This got me onto thinking exactly how do I know?

As you may know I cam from a Christian background (as did many) and made an oddly too common diversion through buddhism and then into Paganism (for want of a better word) then on arriving I knew this was right.

I was wondering what your journeys were in terms of; How do you know this is the right path for you?

hmmmmmm.......................... :)

TAK

219685[/snapback]

This is interesting.

Like many I guess we have all been pulled into the collective of "Paganism", an umbrella term I guess.

I couldn't really describe how I feel because I just am. My interest in divination, supernatural, nature and speaking with deities etc just happened to me and I accepted this just as the way things were. I guess if you were brought up as a christian you simply wouldn't know any different.

It's a very huge topic that I could talk about for hours and have spoken to other witches about and we have all come to the conclusion that we simply feel normal, none of us could say "Oh I feel more Pagan today than yesterday" or something like that. It is just part of our being

Thanks for posting this

Moonhunter

Um... the gods I seem to have a relationship with are, for the most part, associated with pagan religions.

And I feel at home being a Heathen, which kinda makes me a pagan... :)

Moonrising

How do I know? Well I suppose my tale may be interesting to someone, as it's not so much of a "I just always was this way" story, though in the end it turns out it is :) . I was a Christian for 22 years after being brought up with it but it never really clicked with me. And I always had alove of, nah not just a love, a joyous spiritual connection with, nature. Was fascinated by the little I knew about as a child like sacred sites, ley lines etc. But I was conned out of that into Christianity age 11 (those youth camps should be banned- 11 yrs old, first time away from home, they get us all overexcited with a worship meeting and then give an altar call, I didn't stand a chance).

A couple of years ago I finally gave up the Christian farce. Thought I'd just end up an agnostic and get on with my life. Started reading on the internet, found pantheism and then paganism. Suddenly it all came flooding back, the magic and mystery of life that I had as a youngster and then lost. I knew it was for me. I still don't really know what I believe but wherever I end up I'm sure it'll come under the umbrella of paganism. Just a convenient label really for "being me". My husband (who is still a Christian) says it's a choice but I don't think so. It's a choice to be honest with myself about what I am, but not a choice to be what I am.

Guest GypsySpirit

It's good to read these replies and see that not everybody DOES actually know. It's also good to read that people here don't necessarily think that you have to follow a particular path.

I've gone through the last 15 years of my life or so "not following a particular path". Previous to this I looked into many different branches of Christianity - I was brought up Christian - and during this time I looked into Buddhism, Spiritualism and Wicca and didn't feel any were quite right for me although I believed then and I believe now that all religions have a piece of the truth.

However recently I've read some about Paganism and am starting to wonder if I do belong somewhere after all, as a lot of what I've read resonates with my beliefs and practices...so here I am.

Guest applestar

Yep, been there, done that: tried Christianity (by default - brought up as one). Had a tiny problem with it in that I didn't believe in Jesus, so then tried Buddhism, but found it too eastern for me. Then eventually came across Paganism, and felt - at home. That it was OK to be me, and that I didn't have to try to change myself to fit in, that being myself was enough.

Since then I've acquired a goddess (I got mugged by her <_< ) and had a great deal of fun developing myself in all kinds of areas. I call myself an eclectic heathen, but those are just labels. Pagan is a very useful one because it gives you a starting point - those in the know will ask more questions to triangulate your path, those who don't will be content with just the one word answer.

So I'm pagan because it suits me. I don't have to be - I can leave any time I want to. But why would I ever want to?

<_<

Amanfred

[

So I'm pagan because it suits me. I don't have to be - I can leave any time I want to. But why would I ever want to?

;)

263836[/snapback]

just the answer i was looking for, its suits me too.

runwita

[

:unsure:

263836[/snapback]

just the answer i was looking for, its suits me too.

263870[/snapback]

Ditto :D

Not very original I know but when someone's said it better...........

Guest jape

I'm not a pagan, I am witch. Doesn't matter a fuck to me any more what others think of that, except my friends and they call me friend.

Guest Theallknowing
I'm not a pagan, I am witch. Doesn't matter a fuck to me any more what others think of that, except my friends and they call me friend.

264239[/snapback]

Yet again a frank and succinct answer Jape! If only we could all have the confidence not to mince our words...

saramacha

264239[/snapback]

I'd agree, I'd say I'm a witch and would be a witch no matter whatever path i was on if any, it's nothing to do with paganism.

I do call myself a pagan, because the old beliefs of my country coincide with what I believe. I wouldn't try to change them to suit what I believe or change what I believe to suit them. It's the fact that they coincide that means it's the truth for me if that makes any sense.

but that has no bearing on being a witch.

Guest She of the Fire Serpent

I did Wicca for a while and often wondered why I wasn't feeling very much. Recently I've got into Ceremonial Magick and it felt a bit like what I'd imagine being hit by a thunderbolt would be like (though I was working with a devotee of Thor at the time).

Does CM count as pagan? It seems anyone who has a belief in nature spirits and/or mystery traditions can call themselves pagan, so I guess it does.

It's felt powerfully moving, I've seen undeniable results in my rituals, and when I discovered the Qabbalah and the Thoth tarot it made a great deal of sense, too much to ignore. It feels like everything is falling into place, and like my life now has a purpose.

Maybe finding your path is a bit like falling in love, you don't know what it's like til it's happened to you, but when it does you know it throughout your whole being.

Amanfred
. It feels like everything is falling into place, and like my life now has a purpose.

Maybe finding your path is a bit like falling in love, you don't know what it's like til it's happened to you, but when it does you know it throughout your whole being.

264445[/snapback]

Wow.

Its a wonderful feeling.

I just wish everyone could and should feel this way.

Guest Gryphon

264239[/snapback]

Well put :) , pity more of us couldn't have as much confidence about who and what we are.

Guest She of the Fire Serpent
Wow.Its a wonderful feeling.

I just wish everyone could and should feel this way.

Yeah... and I've always been such a cynic too! Happens when you least expect it. Having said what I did the other day, it does feel kinda weird and I have a creeping sense that it's going to mean lots of hard work and challenges. I can fully appreciate that for many feeling comfortable in what they believe/ practise is far preferable.

Amanfred

I have found ,the more i learn both about me and the craft / path/ goddess, gods etc the more i want to learn.

Guest skye-rumer

as a child i was brought up as a christian but i questioned it alot n got into trouble for asking unanswerable questions <_< :D but had to go along with it as my dad was strict,it didnt feel right to me,when i was 9 i told my mom i was a pagan and got a hiding for it ,i didnt know about paganism at the time, but something inside me said i had to say it... after a personal tradegy at the age of 20 i turned my back on christianity, i felt it was the right thing for me to do......iv never liked labels iv always been known as a nature loving peace loving hippy, i only actually started using the term pagan for a couple of years.... but i know the path im on is right for me,my gut feeling tells me so..... it just feels right..... :D :D :P :D :D

Guest Laineethepainter

It is how I was raised by my family. I just know. I changed my path, away from the, for wont of a better word, Wiccan way of worshipping Deity, to the Ancient Egyptian path and, in particular, Isis. I had been hearing Her call from an early age, but I was convinced that I 'wouldn't be allowed' to follow Isis due to not being born in Egypt! :) When I found that I could choose the path that called to me, I was off like a shot! :) I have always been happy with my chosen belief system, I feel that I am where I should be at this time in my life. I know that my path is not going to be an easy one, but then, anything worthwhile shouldn't be too easy to attain, otherwise, what would be the point? 'nuff said, really! :D

Guest Rainbow Moonbeams

Pagan is a human condition, present where there is love, respect, and care, shown for the universe, and other people, and self in that order.

I feel these things.

I am Pagan.

Guest Stargazer

As quite a lot of people have said I think you 'just' know. For me it was the feeling that I 'belong' and felt comfortable and at home in what I believe. For me, it feels right.

Guest Blacklead

There are rules to any stereotype. If you fit them you can be labelled as such.

Moonrising

Because I am.

Not so much a path as a windy, semi-obliterated sheep-track, meandering over the heath and through the woods, occasionally tripping over interesting roots and banging my head on overhanging branches. It's the sudden peat-bogs I find the most disturbing.

BM

xx

237157[/snapback]

Sounds familiar ;)

Moonrising
Because I am.

Not so much a path as a windy, semi-obliterated sheep-track, meandering over the heath and through the woods, occasionally tripping over interesting roots and banging my head on overhanging branches. It's the sudden peat-bogs I find the most disturbing.

BM

xx

237157[/snapback]

Sounds familiar ;)

294058[/snapback]

Tried to adit but it wouodn't let me- wanted to add that I like the difference between my answer here and my answer earlier in the thread. I must have learned something :lol: