Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
fizzyclare1

The Origins Of Ability - psychic ability, witchcraft ability.

fizzyclare1
Left brain/right brain - and of course, reptilian brain.

The term "Reptilian brain" comes from the fact that a reptile's brain is dominated by the brain stem and cerebellum which controls instinctive survival behavior and thinking. This is similar in humans. This brain controls the muscles, balance and autonomic functions (e.g. breathing and heartbeat)[1]; thus it is primarily reactive to direct stimuli.

It's also what differentiates those who react aggressively (unthinking of potential consequences) to events from their calmer companions.

Think about when you feel threatened - that's where the reptile brain comes into play, but we tend to civilised and override its messages.

So maybe this bit of brain affects magical action?

223882[/snapback]

Now theres a thought, is it linked to instincts?

223887[/snapback]

its a good one, too, I think. I see instincts as way to improve survival and I am sure that these kinds of abilities would/could help with survival. but...why is it then that there are so few who possess the ability? surely, such an ability would be common place as such a mechanism would prove so adaptive that it would become more common eg improved fitness etc. (unless of course, you have a society that oppresses the ability under some sort of misguided notion of evil or such like.....), but then that explanation would lead to an idea that ability exists as a result of interaction between environment and heredity factors rather than just an either/or scenario eg its all environment or its all heredity.

Ad from Google

Queenie
Agree with Xalle.

The difference between someone who can draw competently, and someone who is a great artist.

(And I've just noticed that I was too slow typing this and the conversation's moved on.  Oh well!  :P  )

223889[/snapback]

Eek and I'd only just got my head round the waltzing/dancing metaphor, now were onto drawing!

Tis a very vast moving thread Pomona.

Q

Guest Quasizoid

Intrinsic electrochemical "communication" with subject or object to achieve a specific result.

223883[/snapback]

Sorry to labour the point but what IS the result that you want to achieve?

Apart from healing, balancing etc. what is it? Moving bridges with your mind? gainig power over people for personal gain? influencing outcomes?

223891[/snapback]

Influencing outcomes, anything else is impractical given certain inescapeable laws of physics.

Guest Quasizoid

Well, now that the smoke has cleared I will tell you this, telekenesis is all about knowing that hidden flaw that nature always sides with. Think strange attractor + deterministic chaos. Sometimes all it takes is the slightest kick in the right place to bring the whole mountain crashing down. :P

Guest SpiralShaman
Influencing outcomes, anything else is impractical given certain inescapeable laws of physics.

223896[/snapback]

Thats kind of what I've always seen magic as, sort of loading the cosmic dice so to speak.

Guest Tas Mania

O.K.

Here's another tidbit to chuck in the cauldron, which certainly appears to be seething away nicey!

What about stuff like transmogrification?

Are we born with it - or is it something anyone, with a little practice, can develop?

(Tas watches bubbles rising, and reaches for asbestos gloves - just in case!)

Guest Quasizoid

If you are refering to shape-shifting yes, its a skill of empathic communication, i.e. radiating pheromones that relate a specific alterreality in the mind of the receiver. In part one can be born with it, but of course the quality of the projection improves through real life experience and conditioning.

fizzyclare1

so this energy that has been mentioned could be a type of electrochemical stimuli, pheromones?

just so I am a bit clearer about this: this energy underpins many so called 'supernatural phenomena AND magical manipulation? Could that also apply to non-physical contact healing?

which is also influenced, arguably, by heredity, environment and/ or learning (depending on your POV).

Guest Quasizoid
so this energy that has been mentioned could be a type of electrochemical stimuli, pheromones?

just so I am a bit clearer about this: this energy underpins many so called 'supernatural phenomena AND magical manipulation?  Could that also apply to non-physical contact healing?

which is also influenced, arguably, by heredity, environment and/ or learning (depending on your POV).

223950[/snapback]

Yes, pheromones are a very influential communicator between biological organisms, simple as well as complex. At the same time the senses that perceive these messengers, are also sensitive to a host of other electrochemical signatures and electromagnetic field effects. Those aspects in themselves are enough to expound reality beyond the mere dimensions of the immediately visual. It gives you a more profound sense of immersion in what you see. My geneological acumen of this was further enhanced by a great deal of travel and wilderness experience in my formative years. My circumstances have always been far too complex to rely on anything other than my own cunning.

Guest Tas Mania

That makes perfect sense. My face changes because I smell.

fizzyclare1

:(

Guest woozle

hey don't stop guys, what about this transmogrification?? :o_loveyou:

Guest Inverurie Jones

I reckon it's like flying: any fool can be taught to operate an aeroplane, but only certain people are Proper Pilots.

http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum...tachmentid=1901

Equally, almost everyone has some ability, but certain folks will be more able than others. I reckon I'm the magical equivalent of a microlight pilot: got some basic understanding and zoom around at random, making a mess and scaring seven shades of shite out of everybody else. A little knowledge, and all that, what?

Edited by Inverurie Jones

Pomona

*ducks*

:o_loveyou:

:o_cuddle:

Guest Gryphon
I reckon it's like flying: any fool can be taught to operate an aeroplane, but only certain people are Proper Pilots.

http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum...tachmentid=1901

Equally, almost everyone has some ability, but certain folks will be more able than others. I reckon I'm the magical equivalent of a microlight pilot: got some basic understanding and zoom around at random, making a mess and scaring seven shades of shite out of everybody else. A little knowledge, and all that, what?

224160[/snapback]

Your not that bad. You get and take advice which alot of people don't do (in most things thinking about your housing market thing here).

fizzyclare1

I've come across the idea that if you look into a mirror long enough your face will seem to change into something else ie a person from the past and this has been referred to transmogrification, but I have no idea if this is so.

what are peoples thoughts on this, is transmogrification being used here? and if so are these pheremones acting on ourselves or is it something else?

fizz

fizzyclare1

A few have also mentioned intent, thought and empathy in magical use and I wondered what their role was?

see if magical ability and other ability does use electrochemical stimuli and or pheremones then that stuff has in someway to be interpreted by the receiver (or does it) or given a shape by the sender.

is psychic ability, say remote viewing, a development of empathy (interesting this one because if the sender/receiver is not in close proximity then pheremones is unlikely to play a role - at least not in our current understanding anyway - clearly something else is at play here).

Perhaps our understanding of the physical, concrete reality limits our understanding of something here....

I've also wondered about the role of thought, clearly, if we do magic we have an idea (usually expressed as a thought) of what we want to influence, but as I write this, I am also aware of something else that occurs at the same time that is different to a simple or mundane thought. There is a sense of a feeling, a kind of sensation, almost a sound even, and one I find is easily ignored...so what I am describing here (thought and this funny kind of sensation) a part of these abilities, well, what do they do?

Guest Quasizoid
I've come across the idea that if you look into a mirror long enough your face will seem to change into something else ie a person from the past and this has been referred to transmogrification, but I have no idea if this is so.

what are peoples thoughts on this, is transmogrification being used here? and if so are these pheremones acting on ourselves or is it something else? 

fizz

224280[/snapback]

Naw, this is a phenomenon occuring purely within your own visual cortex. An effect of overexposure. Rather like repeating a word to the point where it loses all meaning. Too much of the same and the brain goes into autopilot. Transmogrification is more about projecting an illusion into the mind of another. Electrochemical messengers and not necessarily just pheromones.