Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Using Pebbles And Rocks For Ritual Or Healing

Guest Stormbringer

After a bit of chatter on the spotting fake crystals thread, I thought it might be interesting to go into how the everyday stones we find while out and about can be used instead of shop bought crystals. So I hope this is in the right forum :o_bounce:

The idea is that you don't necessarily need to go spending a fortune on crystals, ordinary rocks can be found by anyone and put to use. After all, rocks are made up of minerals which is all crystals are anyway.

Before I start wiffling on, I'll just say that all the correspondences and associations I've made are my own personal ones - I'm a great believer in doing what works for you, so others may well have different ideas and come up with other things that work for them, and i'm sure there will be plenty of new ideas I hadn't thought of.

So, basic stuff first - rocks are made up of 3 basic types. These are sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic. While all rocks could be used as a correspondence for the element of Earth, you could also use sedimentary rocks for water, since they are laid down and formed in water, and igneous rocks for fire since they are formed directly from molten magma or lava. For air, you could use red desert sandstone since although it is sedimentary it is laid down in a desert and therefore exposed to the air - which is why it is red cos all the iron in it oxidises in the air.

The vast majority of sedimentary rocks are shales/mudstones, sandstones, and limestones. There are some others, but for the purposes of this topic I'll keep it simple.

Sandstones are mostly made up of quartz, with a few trace elements thrown in here and there. So it stands to reason they will have the same properties as quartz... perhaps not great at direct energy, the way a single quartz point would be, it will be more diffuse. But sometimes a gentler and more subtle energy is needed, so sandstone would be good for this. It is a great absorber of negativity, and storer of energy, good for gentle healing, can have a calming effect, and is a good all rounder.

As I mentioned earlier, the red desert sandstone contains iron so would also be very good for grounding and for healing puropses could be used for anaemia.

There is a rarer type of sandstone called arkose which contains over 20% feldspar. This is found in Britain in the far North West of Scotland, and is incredibly ancient. I usually think of feldspar as being a feminine mineral (think moonstone, which is a type of feldspar) so arkose would be suitable for any goddess based rituals, or moon rituals.

Mustones and shales are usually formed in still waters, such as lakes or ponds, and are very fine grained. They are usually rich in different minerals which makes for fertile soil, so would be good for fertility workings, harvest or planting rituals, and Earth goddess based rituals.

Limestones are made up of calcium carbonate, exactly the same stuff as those pretty calcite crystals you can buy. So again, would have the same sorts of properties.... for me, I think of healing work with joint pain, skeletal problems, osteoporosis... that sort of thing. Your basic limestone is usually chock full of fossils as well, so not only good to go looking for nice specimens to have around, but I think of limestone as being a preserver as well, because it so clearly retains the shapes and images of the critters in the fossils. So for ritual use, anything you are looking to maintain or keep hold of it would be worth using limestone.

Igneous rocks - as mentioned above, they are formed directly from molten magma. They can be coarse grained like granite, or fine grained lava flows such as basalt. As well as the associations with fire, they could all also be used in rituals where you are working with the underworld, since they all start off coming from deep in the Earth.

Granite, microgranite, rhyolite and obsidian are all the same composition, the only difference is the speed at which they cooled down. Granite cools very slowly and forms large crystals of quartz, mica, feldspar plus or minus traces of other minerals, called an acid magma. It is rich in silicon, and I personally think of it as feminine. Since it is formed slowly, it is good for Earth rituals, anything where you are working for something to come about over a period of time, stability, solidity, and firm foundations. Microgranite is the same, but cooled faster, rhyolite comes from a lava flow, and obsidian is from a lava flow underwater that has cooled so rapidly there was no time for crystals to form at all, so you are left with a black glass. for this reason, obsidian is good for working with fire and water together, and is also excellent for scrying because of the smooth black surface... sometimes you get the trace elements reacting to form a rainbow like petrol on water, which is lovely.

Gabbro, dolorite, basalt, and tachylyte are the equivalent rocks from the basic magma composition of feldspar, augite, pyroxene and sometimes olivine. They are almost always black in colour, and I think of these as masculine rocks. Basaltic lava flows very quickly, and cools rapidly, so they could be used for rituals where you are trying to make something happen quickly. They are great builders of land, although most basaltic volcanoes form underwater, they grow so quickly that they form new islands faster than they can be eroded. The Hawaii chain and Iceland are examples. So you could perhaps use them for bringing forth new life, new ideas, new beginnings.

Metamorphic rocks - These are rocks that have undergone a change in their compostion, due to tremendous heat and/or pressure. examples include marble (formed from limestone) metaquartzite (formed from sandstone) and slate, phyllite, schist and gniess, all formed from mudstones or shale. They could be used for any working where you are trying to effect a change, either in yourself, your situation, the world around you, etc. These rocks are usually very old, even in geological terms, and form the bedrock of most of the continents. They are very tough as well, having been hardened under pressure. They could also be used in that context for establishing a firm base, strength or stability.

As with everything, there are plenty of other associations you can make for your particular pebble - where it was found, what colour is it, the shape of it, any interesting markings, holes, fossils, etc. but the best judge of what ritual purpose it could serve is your own. We can all find our own ways of using them, and I would certainly be interested in hearing other peoples experiences and ideas!

Right, i will stop rambling now... i did warn you I could talk about rocks for ages, lol, but I'll shut up for the time being! :huh:

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

What an excellent post and topic Storm - thanks!

I always use found items, including stones, and each seems to suggest what it should be used for, as you pointed out. I use a slate pebble, water worn, for sitting candles on for candle workings - it seems appropriate.

Terry Pratchett has some VERY interesting things to say about the composition of the earth on which Witches "grow" too - his books about the Chalk Downs newbie Witch* are a revelation! :)

*("A Hat Full Of Sky" etc.) :)

Edited by Tas Mania

Thanks for that Stormbringer!

I will definitely have a proper read later!! (I'm needing lunch at the moment so my concentration levels are low)

:) Fascinating

I like crystals but also really love stones with natural holes. I've found hundreds in my lifetime from small ones I hang from my keys and bag, to big old doorstop ones. I've also got 3 "special" stones; one is just incredibly dark, round and smooth - about the size of a ginger nut. I've had it since I was about 8 and just carry it about. Another is a reddish stone I found on the beach. The grooves on it are shaped like an eye. Then there's another I think is quartz which is black with white veins running through. One is shaped like a crescent moon. I don't really use them for anything I just like having them hanging around. :)

Flint is technically counted as a crystal right?

226695[/snapback]

Yep, flint is a form of quartz so is classed as a mineral - it can be found in the chalk beds of southern england. I only have one small piece due to not getting down south very much, lol.

This topic seems to have gone down well, so i'm really pleased... thanks for all the positive feedback :)

Interesting stuff there Storm, and obviously well thought about :ph34r:

Many shamanic cultures from Native American to West African use pebbles and stones. In Africa and Haitian Vodoun, pebbles are like govis, holding the spirit of ancestors. In Native and Southern American cultures - and East African - (that I know of) stones act as protectors into which Shamans suck harmful spirits. Mike Harner talks about it amongst the Jivaro tribe, IIRC. There are many uses for pebbles and stones.

I like your thinking.

226695[/snapback]

Yep, flint is a form of quartz so is classed as a mineral - it can be found in the chalk beds of southern england. I only have one small piece due to not getting down south very much, lol.

This topic seems to have gone down well, so i'm really pleased... thanks for all the positive feedback :ph34r:

226740[/snapback]

Well if you want any let me know, I live on surrey heath so I can't move for the stuff! I'm always coming home from my walks with pocketfulls!

226695[/snapback]

This topic seems to have gone down well, so i'm really pleased... thanks for all the positive feedback :)

226740[/snapback]

Well if you want any let me know, I live on surrey heath so I can't move for the stuff! I'm always coming home from my walks with pocketfulls!

226971[/snapback]

There is loads where my parents live, comes in all colours too, from grey to lilac, orange, red and almost black. Its such a wonderful stone to work with.

Loving the thread. Very good post Stormbringer

The red stuff, funnily enough, has iron impurities in it. Other colours of flint are generally caused by exposure, or other impurities. The pure stuff is the really dark blck stuff, that looks almost glassy, and yes thmumbs up for an ace thread! :)

The red stuff, funnily enough, has iron impurities in it.  Other colours of flint are generally caused by exposure, or other impurities.  The pure stuff is the really dark blck stuff, that looks almost glassy, and yes thmumbs up for an ace thread! :)

227290[/snapback]

The Iron comes from the local red clay. Both it and the orange are really vivid and intense (interesting local geology). Think I have a red bit somewhere as well as a yellow orange bit. If I find it i'll post a picture.

Another interesting thing to do with flint is throw it in a fire, just watch out when it cracks open! Does some real weird and wonderful stuff to it!

Another interesting thing to do with flint is throw it in a fire, just watch out when it cracks open! Does some real weird and wonderful stuff to it!

227294[/snapback]

Arraggh :) you did what to the lovely flint?

Actually they did this in the stone age, it made it flake easier as it altered the structure. Also dried it out.

It's no different to metamorphic rock and alot of crystals in my opinion, heat changes the structure and thus the properties. Not that I've worked out a use for burned flint yet....... :)

• 2 weeks later...

great post Stormbringer,i have a collection of stones and pebbles i have had for years,i havent a clue what they are mind you,but they are special to me ,i dont hold with buying crystals,so much damage is done to the planet to mine them it just goes againstt the grain for me ,i do like to collect odd stones when i am out and about though

edited for loads of typo's i shouldnt have had that last glass of wine :P

Edited by morbidia