Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ~Rachel~

Telling People

Guest SpiralShaman
My OH thank the Gods is same inclination which makes life easier!  :D

227303[/snapback]

Aye, gave up on relationships with normal people when one (now ex) said "so this paganism stuff is like that D&D thing you do then?" :)

Edited by SpiralShaman

Ad from Google

Ethereal

227303[/snapback]

Aye, gave up on relationships with normal people when one (now ex) said "so this paganism stuff is like that D&D thing you do then?" :lol:

227306[/snapback]

:) :D

Guest Gryphon

227303[/snapback]

Aye, gave up on relationships with normal people when one (now ex) said "so this paganism stuff is like that D&D thing you do then?" :lol:

227306[/snapback]

:) :D

227311[/snapback]

:D :lol:

Guest SpiralShaman

Can just imagine it.... Hold on folks, I'm just going out into my back garden to commune with an earth spirit..... has anyone seen my D20? :)

Guest ~Rachel~

227303[/snapback]

227306[/snapback]

You mean it isn't :blink:

:o_devil:

Guest SpiralShaman

:lol: :D :o_devil: :blink:

Ethereal

Aye that would be a difficult rated roll... :o_devil: :blink:

Guest SpiralShaman

Sec, just got to make my computer use roll to see if I can work out how to reply... :o_devil:

Guest Paracelsus

of course, there is another way of coming at it, to which I aspire (but haven't managed yet)...

Chas Clifton quotes an un-named teacher in his tradition saying that one should “Live so that someone ignorant about Paganism would know from watching your life or visiting your home that you followed an “earth religion” (Clifton, 1994. 126) .

That's always seemed to be pretty good advice to me -

as for being "out", yeah, I think I'm pretty out, certainly all my family know, most of my work colleagues, all my friends, my boss, the governors of my school etc. (Some of the kids too - at least the ones who guess - we never discuss it, but sixth formers ask for reading suggestions every now and again).

Ethereal

Aye Parcelus thats a good point. The questions do come in from time to time. Although there are people in my life as ive said that know, they asked not me starting a conversation about it.

Guest ~Rachel~

Just told my mum, all I got was a "Well, if thats what you are into". Wasn't expecting more, but I know she wouldn't be worried. Just a relief to have that out and I don't have to think if I've left any books etc lying around

Guest Ilya

That's excellent, good to have it off your mind.

My mum almost led me to it, I was brought up to believe in faeries and always had a very pagan outlook without really knowing what it was. When I was 13 I found that section in a bookshop and grabbed a book. My mum was stood there with a look on her face that said "You've done well my child". And then proceeded to nick all my books...

My husband does not share my beliefs but certainly knows about them. I'm much more inclined to try to convert him than he is me! I have to keep reminding myself that his views are just as valid, even if they are wrong... :)

Guest ~Rachel~

I always had a pagan childhood, not on purpose, I just liked nature. Its why I had a drawer full of feathers and rocks and all sorts of things I've found on my travels. Though, not quite sure what happened with them

Guest Swanhild

I have told most people that I know - I have only had one bad reaction from a rather dim but well meaning Christian who didn't know any better.

In many work situations it can be best to keep quiet - depends very much on your own circumstances.

Skegga

Guest honeywitch

Ooh, Pomona. I'm glad you found someone nicer!

My brother and my other half are very supportive - they like it. My mum is Catholic and my Dad is an aetheist who views paganism as daft, so when they come round I put a picture up in front of my library and altar.

No point in upsetting people. Having said that, I believe that they do sort of know, but choose to ignore it - my mum does ask for herbal cures.

My friends are either intrigued and ask for readings or bring me corn dollies, or they are simply not interested, in which case I wouldn't bore them with it.

The ones who are interested you can tell because they pick objects or books up in my house and ask about - I don't bring it up in conversation particularly.

At work, I wouldn't talk about religion in any circumstances (even as an ex-catholic) I find it rude and intrusive and very often judgemental and most people who do this are evangelical god-botherers.

(She says judgementally!!!) :o_perv:

Guest Fred-in-the-Green

Most people I know know I'm Pagan. My parents were both CoS as well, AND both Elders of the Kirk (my Mother too!). My Father knew I didn't go for the Xian PoV, and made a comment or two in front of other people, but I just smiled sweetly. They've both passed on. They taught me to examine my conscience and act according to my lights, and I feel that I honour their memory in doing so.

My wife is lapsed Catholic. I think she might be inclined to object, but her position means she will not. My kids are non-aligned. My daughter might go Xian (she's a pisces...) and my son is liable to be a pagan-leaning agnostic.

People at work know, but not all my customers. I work with Housing Associations. Some of them are aggressively Xian. So I don't say anything. When they see the spiral maze on the cover of my work diary they might (just) work it out, but so far there has been no fallout. Others ask (for instance) exactly what I did to win the Grand National Sweepstake...

It's a case of horses for courses. Some people you tell, or allow to know, and some people you leave uninformed. It always depends on the people. There's no point in going looking for a fight.

Guest honeywitch

Completely agree, Fred.

People who are interested, ask... And I do this for my own interests not to "be interesting" in any way.

The only thing I would say to everyone on this board is that putting paganism in a census or an HR form at work is probably a good thing for uus all to do because it adds validity to the administrative recognition of paganism and helps cement our rights. :o_perv:

Guest Freydis

My family have always known and are fine with it. None of them had strongly held Christian beliefs and I was always encouraged to think for myself and form my own conclusions. Looking back I do wonder if they thought it was a teenage "phase" I was going through (lasted 36 years if so), but they were too polite to say so!

OH has always known. Never been an issue. Friends know, most of them have known me for a long time.

Some people at work know. I don't hide it, but I don't push it down people's throats either. If it comes up in conversation (often around the what are you doing at Christmas, Easter type conversations) I'll say something. If someone shows an interest I'll say more. Occasionally I'll come across the aggressively Christian type who'll want to pray for me. Generally these days I shrug and move the conversation on. After all if it makes them feel better....

Talking about my beliefs has got easier as I've got older and more confident. Also, I should probably say that I'm (relatively) senior in my organisation which probably does make it easier at work. People are possibly less likely to be rude or poke fun to my face - don't suppose it stops them doing it behind my back though!

Frey

JohnMacintyre

Dear Freydis,

Occasionally I'll come across the aggressively Christian type who'll want to pray for me. 

231975[/snapback]

Pete Jennings came up with a brilliant riposte to this sort of proselytising. He'd reply: "That's very kind. Thank you. To show my appreciation, the next time I'm dancing naked in the woods I'll chant your name very loudly!" :)

BB,

John Macintyre

Guest Fred-in-the-Green

I like that. I may even use it.

Guest Kristofski
Dear Freydis,

Occasionally I'll come across the aggressively Christian type who'll want to pray for me. 

231975[/snapback]

Pete Jennings came up with a brilliant riposte to this sort of proselytising. He'd reply: "That's very kind. Thank you. To show my appreciation, the next time I'm dancing naked in the woods I'll chant your name very loudly!" :blink:

BB,

John Macintyre

232161[/snapback]

Now I want someone to tell me they'll pray for me so I can use this!

Now, where can a find me a Christian...

tibbington

I have never really had the need to tell anyone other than my partner & somone I work with. My parents who are now dead didn't know, my brother doesn't know, & my extended family don't know.

I have nothing to hide, I don't really care who does knows, but they will get very little information from me

My partner thinks I am generally mad anyhow & the the person I work with seems to think, in his words, it's pretty cool.

I think in Paganism you don't have to shout it from the roof tops as you are expected to do in Xtainity & certainly not try & convert everyone who might have the misfortune to bump into me.

So basically sit down & have a good think who need to know on a needs to know basis

Edited by tibbington

Guest teamonstersue

i always wear at least one item of pentagram jewelry upon my person, sooner or lter people work it out so when (or if) i decide i should declare it to them they've say "oh i thought it was something like that".

Pomona
Pete Jennings came up with a brilliant riposte to this sort of proselytising. He'd reply: "That's very kind. Thank you. To show my appreciation, the next time I'm dancing naked in the woods I'll chant your name very loudly!" :rolleyes:

BB,

John Macintyre

232161[/snapback]

*giggle*

I do love that one!

Guest skye-rumer

my mom nearly fainted when she came over to visit n saw my broomstick hanging on the wall :D :D :D ,she previously enquired about a protection sachet hanging just above the front door but she hasnt come out n asked me anything properly, i frightened her as a 3 yr old child with my imaginary friend n from then on she treated me differently and called me strange :o_hail: :lol: my b/f is pagan so its been easier to be myself with him but when we met he asked if i was pagan n i replied no, i just loved nature n i was a tree hugging hippy kinda person (never liked labels) since being with my b/f i have grown more confident to even call myself pagan, my mom has asked me about my pentagram im sure she thinks im possessed by the devil or something :D :D tbh my family labelled me from an early age the odd bodd sister/daughter because of things i now understand (i didnt then) my 1 sister was practically cackling herself when i told her i was pagan plus i do some herb work and she told a few friends as that explains my oddness ( she associates pagans = witches) :D :D :D ,theres been behind my back discussions of course but none of them has said anything to my face -fine by me :D as for friends mixed reactions mostly good i must add , im just being true to me instead of trying to conform , but i wont n dont flaunt it either... whew fingers aching now so im off to bed .............. i will let u know when my wart appears :D :D :D :) :P

Edited by skye-rumer

Guest beltane
i will let u know when my wart appears  :o_hail:  :lol:    :D  :D  :D

266636[/snapback]

Dont worry baby,sure i will see it 1st :)

Guest Birka

It took me two years before I told my parents and it was actually really funny. I told them and my mother said 'You'll come back to mother church one day'. That was hilarious. This coming from my mother - serial gideon bible graffittier who I had never ever heard say 'mother church' previous to that day :o_hail:

Still, once she realised it wasn't a fad, she came round and has even asked me for advice what to tell folks when they have issues with spooky stuff. She has also seen me in action getting rid of something unpleasant from our house. That did kind of shock her but not so long ago, she asked how to curse someone down the street. I don't know if she did the curse however I think she may have made offerings to Heathen gods.

I have had Sumbels with my family before now too. Mind you, they wouldnt object to anything where they get cooked for and fed alcohol.

My husband is also a Heathen, we were put in touch with each other by another Heathen in Korea and things kind of went from there.

Erm...I have mostly been 'out', to be honest (even when I worked for the Catholics), I don't do a very good impression of mundane. My husband jokes that I couldn't come across as a Christian if I tried. In fact some of the looks I get at the Spouse and Civilians club are just priceless. Imagine a bunch of ladies that lunch sitting under parasols and having garden parties...well I joined them!! :lol:. They were so shocked at my tattoos and the woman in the Jesus t-shirt really didn't look happy. I didn't tell them because I don't care about them and if I were to tell them, I would be making an issue which is something that the Christians could then interpret as an invitation to bother me.

My extended family don't know. My mother didn't think they'd understand and knowing my extendeds (think of a cross between Shameless, Two Pints of Lager and Phoenix Nights and that's my family), they probably wouldn't. Still, I don't much care what they think either. Those of them that are coming to mine and my husband's Heathen wedding in Denmark when my husband comes back from being a vicious, murderous bastard in Iraq will soon find out and they have one of two choices:

* Hold their peace and try to enjoy themselves in spite of the affront to their previously non-existent religious views.

*Leave.

Telling folks can be hard but I often think if you make a big deal out of it, then it will be worse. Just do it casually, like it is the most normal thing in the world and most wouldn't bat an eyelid. Make a big deal and like you are worried about their opinion and that you are trying to convince them that you're not evil or weird really and that is exactly what they will come away thinking.

I remember at the Catholic place, one co-worker who asked me about my activities around Yule, after hearing a matter of fact description of what I had done said 'But you're not like those weirdo Pagans you see on tv!'. Then she was interested. :D

Amanfred

I didnt tell my parents, they already knew.

Whilst holding a conversation with a local handyman who was at my parents one day. he is openly pagan from the way he looks to the staff he carries. i asked if there was any decent bits of wood in his shed to make an altar from when my dad just said " why do you need an altar when your bookshelf has sufficed for the last 40 years"

I was rather shocked but at the same time i know he understood.

As for telling people, they will find out only if they need to know and often they ask you rather than then you telling them.

Guest Birka
I didnt tell my parents, they already knew.

Whilst holding a conversation with a local handyman who was at my parents one day. he is openly pagan from the way he looks to the staff he carries. i asked if there was any decent bits of wood in his shed to make an altar from when my dad just said " why do you need an altar when your bookshelf has sufficed for the last 40 years"

I was rather shocked but at the same time i know he understood.

:rolleyes: Your dad is a legend!!!

Guest morbidia

my daughters who live with me still obviously know,the youngest is interested herself and encouragd me to be brave and go to my first moot,the eldest just humours me but isn bothered by it,i havent told my mum and dad,my mum would think i have been got at by the devil and my dad is very very anti any kind of religion so would give me a lecture about that which i dont want to listen to

i have put on my FB profile that im a pagan so all of my work mates should know by now ,no one has said anything,its not a subject that comes up in many conversations i have,but if anyone asks i will tell them ,i told a friend who is currently in Oz and she said "does that mean you wear robes and do funny rituals on a full moon then :rolleyes: