Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Different Forums Of Magick... Please?

Guest adds

can someone give me a list of different froums of magick, I have had a look on the net and found nothing... I dont know if any body has posted this before, if someone has.... Sorry

different froums of magick please?

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

There are many sites that will offer you info about different magick methods/schools of thinking. Be wary and question everything. Read as much as you can and if you're meant for magick it'll find you rest assured. I wouldn't be too hung up in the 'types/names' debate. On a purely personal level it's about energy. Nothing more, nothing less.

PM me if this doesn't make sense.

TAK

Pomona, yes it was helpful... Thanks

Thanks Theallknowing, yes, it makes sense , but i would still like to know the names, thats all... Why? i dont know, just something i feel i must see/read and so on....

Hun, the names keep changing, so it's not easy to answer the question. :)

And then, different paths have different types. For example, there are specific types in the old, pre-Christian religions. The Religio Romana had defixio; Heathenry had galdr and seidh.

In the medieval period there was alchemy. In more modern times that's become ceremonial magic. But a variation is chaos magic, which draws on some of the techniques of ceremonial magic, bit uses anything else that works.

Witchcraft has many faces. There are groups/types such as Wicca, Traditional, Hedgewitchery etc, but also, again, techniques.

I'm not aware of any A-Z of either magic groups or techniques, though there may be some websites out on the net which attempt it. You'd have to look for them.

Thanks moonhunter

there may be some websites which attempt it... but i could not find any... and why do the names keep changing?

this is what i know... WHITE MAGICK, BLACK MAGICK, GREY MAGICK

CEREMONIAL (OR 'HIGH') MAGICK

NATURAL (OR 'LOW') MAGICK

RITUAL MAGICK

Elemental Magick

Color Magick

Symbolic Magick

Talismans and Amulets

Herbal Magick

Candle Magick

Knot Magick

Crystal or Gem Stone Magick

Poppet Magick

Voodoo

thats what I have found no the net.. I need to know what out there becouse some ppl must use it, dose not mean I'm going to use it... just know it...

Edited by adds

I just do Esk-magic. Don't know how else to describe it and as it works, don't care to. I don't do extraneous K's either.

I'm not trying to be smart either, you're never going to get an exhaustive list of all the possiblities because (I firmly believe) forms of magic vary from practioner to practioner. There is no 'list'.

there may be some websites which attempt it... but i could not find any... and why do the names keep changing?

BEcause of new fashions - or else people want to seem clever and confuse others. :D

this is what i know... WHITE MAGICK, BLACK MAGICK, GREY MAGICK

There are a lot of arguments about that division. For one thing, it tends not to be one the Ceremonial or Chaos magicians (CMs) would agree to. Neither would a lot of witches.

CEREMONIAL (OR 'HIGH') MAGICK

NATURAL (OR 'LOW') MAGICK

RITUAL MAGICK

One might argue that all magic is 'ritual magic' It depends on who invented the term and what they mean by it. It's often a synonym for CM.

I don't personally agree with the high magic/low magic thing, as that seems to have been coined by the CMs, and IMO elevates their preferred forms of ritual while denigrating others.

Elemental Magick

Color Magick

Symbolic Magick

Talismans and Amulets

Herbal Magick

Candle Magick

Knot Magick

Crystal or Gem Stone Magick

Poppet Magick

Voodoo

this is a hodge podge of different things. Most of them are varieties of magic tools which can be employed in magic. One is not a tool but a religion (Voodoo). Not everyone uses these, though they are very popular in the sort of books on magic sold by Llewelyn and other popular publishers on the subject with little discrimination.

The point is - there's a lot of rubbish out there. Just because it's on the 'net doesn't mean it's worthwhile. <_<

then its the rubbish i must learn <_< , becouse it is out on the net and some ppl must be Learning it... must be... and i most learn it to to know what there know or think is rigth... you following... :D

I would say there are as many different names / forms / kinds of magic / magick / majick etc as there are users of said powers / energies / forces / etc...

What I may call one kind of spell / practice / ritual may be compleatly different to another practitioners. Even if they also may discribe themselves as a hedge witch (which is one of the names / boxes / titlals?! I might use for my path) And even more likely we would use sutbly or dramatically different ways of getting the same end result.

If it works it works... vary few worry about fixing it down in some kind of dogmatic nomecliture or name.

Fashions change, spellings change, people change, authors come and go. There are so many soliteries and secretive covens, there is no comman lexicon.

As Shakespeare wrote (paraphrase comming up) 'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet'.

About the best you can say is things like 'I'm a solitery hedge / kitchen witch with leanings towards British Gods, self taught, prefuring to work magic in an instinctive and at need, free, style.'

or

'I am a magi who works magic in a formal gathering to set recorded rituals usually involving symbolic and sanctified tools and well rehersed words. I have no belief in a divine being and call on no Gods.'

Both are vastly different in thier styles, but both will be quite capable of comparable 'effects'.

Just thoughts.

Be bright,be bold

Fillionous

First, there's no such thing as white, black or grey magic, it's all just magic, the only difference is how you use it. Second, ritual magic is easy, you do something in a particular way and it works so you do it again, you've made a ritual.

Third, the only people who consider ceremonial magic to be "high" and everything else "low" are those who practice ceremonial magic, the rest might consider ceremonial magic (if they could be bothered to give it any consideration) to be "showing off" or "up it's own arse".

Read all you can and believe none of it, then try the bits that feel right for you. :rolleyes:

I understand the thirst for knowledge you might be feeling Adds. It might be an idea for you to focus on what you think Magic is. Rather than trying to understand what others consider it to be, which will only lead to confusion. Have a ponder over what you believe it to be, explore any elements that appeal to you further and you will find what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say the types of magic go like this as far as im concerned, there is Ceremonial magic systems like Kabbalah (Golden Dawn, O.T.O. ,Thelema ect), then there is your more nature or natural orientated magic (possibly ritual based like paganism and different forms of wicca), then there is the chaos magic aproch which is simply anything that works (Rules my arse!!!! Hail Eris!!!!), then of course there is your more dark persona approch (Hail Satan) like satanism or devil worship (or even Mythos magic). These seem to be the major Veins in magic, however the sub types like crystal magic and herbalism ect and even drug use (Chemegnosis) are prevelent aspects of many of the other types, for example most types of magic would use candles and most would proberbly read tarot ect. so i suggest you simply gain a fuctional grounding in the main systems and work from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, thanks for your help, I have been thinking, and just to put a end on this thread, I will tell you what I have decided to do... because people are different, there have different points a of view, a different way, a different answer, a different belief, system, and so on, then why must I follow them, I am going to do it my way, what ever works for me, no matter where it came from, what path it came from... If I like it, and it works, then I will use it...

Adds - good discovery...

But don't forget no matter how individually you walk you path there is always value in keeping an eye on others... and prehaps tweeking thier minds for thoughts and ideas. Ie you are always welcome to post ideas and think things through on forums such as this! :D

Be bright,be bold

and interesting journies!

Fillionous

But don't forget no matter how individually you walk you path there is always value in keeping an eye on others... and prehaps tweeking thier minds for thoughts and ideas. Ie you are always welcome to post ideas and think things through on forums such as this!  :D

264308[/snapback]

always, your not going to get reed of me that easily :D

I wish, date of birth is wrong, I'm 24, mate :lol:, so that's why when I read some of those post I feel like a ten year old :lol: how did I manage that.... gose to show you dont know whos who on the net

I wish, date of birth is wrong, I'm 24, mate :D, so that's why when I read some of those post I feel like a ten year old :o_roflmao: how did I manage that.... gose to show you dont know whos who on the net

264392[/snapback]

264425[/snapback]

Second opinion was it, Adds ? :P