Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

The Unwritten Rules Of Magic, - what would you say they are?

weatherwitch

"The first rule of witchcraft whether you are seeking to hex or heal or change things is to look at the mundane first. What can you change about yourself, the situation etc?"

I posted this in another thread whilst saying to myself that it's not a 'rule'. Ignoring the wiccan rule of three, what guidelines would you say are the best advice to follow and should be rules, unwritten ones to help the Pagan along their way, regardless of whether they are appropriate for a beginner or for an experienced Pagan? Sometimes we need guidance, sometimes we need reminding, so what you would advice or wish to be seen as unwritten rules? :lol: ;)

Oooh *rubs hands together* - good one!

"Get real" I think has to be one.

While I might LIKE to consider myself some all-knowing, all-powerful witch, in command of the cosmos and all who dwell within, the reality is something different... I am never going to change the colour of my eyes naturally, I am extremely unlikely to persuade James Hetfield that I am in fact his soulmate, and the odds are against me brokering world peace single-handedly in an e-mail to George Dubya. Nor am I Willow from BTVS. I think there's a balance between understanding what magick CAN do and where your own limits are. I'm not saying that the impossible is possible, nor is it totally impossible, I'm just saying that in my own view, the Fates are spinning a thread and it's a good idea to remember that if the Gods DO deign to acquiesce to your request or working, it's probably because it doesn't inconvenience them too much to do so in the first place!!

Good advice, Pomona. Similarly, I'd add that you shouldn't expect huge, dramatic, life changing results from magic if you only do a small working. I view it as proportional - you get out what you put in.

Something simple Im afraid.

Be accurate in your workings.

Many do not work either for beginners or those more experienced because we are not specific enough. You need to devote time, effort and thought. We are not the "charmed ones"... we aint "willow" and "bewitched" leaves a lot of us for dust! Work out what you want... u dont need "pre-written" spells or charms, although it might be easier for those starting out. Make sure it makes sense... u dont have to rhyme... it doesnt have to be done in a robe... or skyclad.... but the thought and accuracy of what you are asking for HAS to be down pat.

Im sure I'll think of more later! ;)

BTW GREAT thread WW

I'm with Xalle on that one.

The biggest lesson I've learned is *THINK* before you do anything. I can be pretty slow to engage brain sometimes but I've never regretted taking my time & stopping to think. I have regretted opening my big yap - and my cauldron - on more than one occasion :o_bounce3: Although i have learned a great deal from those occasions :)

Moggy

Always try to do things the mundane way first. And don't believe that having the most expensive/exclusive tools or robes will make your magic anymore potent... it just makes a hole in your wallet.

Trust yourself. If you have doubts or reservations it's usually for a reason. Never do anything just because someone or something said you should.

And what Fuzi said about kit.

Trust yourself. If you have doubts or reservations it's usually for a reason. Never do anything just because someone or something said you should.

As my mum says... If in doubt, don't.

Totally agree,

When asked can i do demonstratable magic I say yes. This is usually in a pub.

I say I will Magically move that empty glass to the bar.

Those that understand magic smirk, those that don't watch eyes wide open.

I explain that there are different methods and you have to find one that works.

I start with..

Excuse me will you put this glass on bar.. few laughs.

Then I try whose round is it anyway..

Then I try to attract the glass collectors attention.

Then I say at this rate I might aswell get up and do it myself.

Protests "thats not magic" sits back down

Well magic isn't immediate, so we go home with the glass still on table, but i offer a healthy wager that it won't be there the next day. Sometimes magic works behind the scenes.

Most get the point I make, there is no such thing as magic just getting what you want done.

Its not the act that is magic its the method.

To me the real magic is having the brains to work out how you are going to get what you want done, be it wisdom, or trickery, it's getting the job done.

• Like 1

some good advice :(

i would have to say one of the most important things is to go with your instincts ... oh and relax :D

Oh there's been some great advice there :( And I love Blaidd's practical demonstration of magic :D

I think I'd also add now I've thought about it, that we never do stop learning along the path. To become contemplatent is to miss out on knowledge and understanding.

If you are going to hex, make damn sure WHO you are hexing,WHY you are hexing them and HOW they are going to feel it.

Hexs hurt, so one should have a very good reason for doing them.

Look lads and lasses, you have to get one thing straight - there are no rules, the Wiccan Reed is put in place for people who are afraid that the shit they send out might come back to them. If i hex someone well then I bloody well want to hurt them, if the universe points a finger at me and says "yeah well heres yours" fair enough. Anybody who truly believes in Karma is afraid of ther own shadow(or an idiot...you decide).

Any rules in magic are put in place so that when a certain persons magic doesnt work you can blame it on some one else (i.e. the universe)

Stop hiding behing rules, follow what your heart and your mind say. You'll follow your own morality of course but that is not a rule. The Earth gives us our power and we should stop being afraid of what our creator gifts us with.

:) pretty much. Morality isn't a rule is it? I was just in a bit of a bad mood with some stupid fluffies...see how they get to you!!!

Actually Touchstone if you don't mind your reply is actually very relevant in a way. It points out the importance of really reading something and taking note of what you have read before either reacting or acting upon what you think you have read.

After all, imagine if a recipe asked for 2 teaspoons of chilli powder and you added 2 tablespoons because you'd not read or understood it properly :lol: arghhhh :o_wave:

Or alternatively never use a saucepan in a microwave :)

unless chaos magic is really what you were after :o_cuddle:

Which follows on with the advice of ...

Always expect the unexpected :D

I'd agree with most of that Azraelb, but not all :blink:

I wouldn't avoid doing something because it either wasn't fun or wasn't nice for me - there are some things that have to be done, despite the fact that they're either bloody hard work, or are not "nice" - hexing is the obvious one that springs to mind.

I think what I would interpret from what you've said, is that if you're unsure about doing something, for whatever reason, then don't.

I think what I would interpret from what you've said, is that if you're unsure about doing something, for whatever reason, then don't.

Or to put it a catchier way:

If in doubt, don't.

Take heed of your head and your heart, both have a right to be heard.

Don't ignore your intuation (or your spirit guide will come thwap ya - well mine does)

Use commen sense as it's clearly not commen enough! :unsure:

Be true to yourself.

eep! I suddenly started thinking of the lyrics from "Everybody's free to wear sunscreen" :D Actually, some of the things that are said in that song is good advice.

• 8 years later...

I'd go with what Crow said and say the first and foremost "rule" is PROPORTIONALITY. It's a "rule" in the same sense that it's arule that if you jump off a 10 storey building and expect to fly - well, gravity is a rule. ;)

So: the first thing is that some stuff is too big for anyone, or any group. Like curing world poverty etc. The second thing is that even accomplishing small scale stuff is bloody hard work. It's easier if you can get a feel for which way wyrd is flowing, and work with that. if wyrd is against you, and you're not willing to put in the effort, then forget it. And I don't mean an hour of concentration. that's not effort. :lol:

Secondly: forget the tools they sell at huge prices at pagan conferences. I do a lot with scissors, tinfoil, magnets and cleaning materials. ;) but not candles. They're just for ambience. :P

Thirdly: focus. but that comes after you've considered the situation from all angles and worked out what you're going to do.

Fourthly: don't use something off-the-peg. Tailor it to you and the circumstances.

• Like 1

Totally agree with the above (great thread btw :) )

I know I've harped on elsewhere about this, but DIVINATION! Before doing anything 'magickal', figure out if wyrd is working for or against a situation. Are you going to be working against the flow? How can you tweak chance in your favour (mundanely AND magically)? Is magical action even appropriate in this case?

I do think there's not enough emphasis on this approach in much Western pagan magic. ADT traditions tend to use divination quite intensively to diagnose a problem and find potential remedies, before petitioning gods etc.

• 1 year later...

I always try to think about what is Wanted and What is needed and ask the goddess grant me the wisdom to know the difference :o_rainbow: