Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Dreams

Guest Laoch

Looking for advice here please.

I'm tired of having dreams I don't understand. I can have some really disturbing dreams but the ones I am talking about here are in a realm of their own.

On occassion I will have one of a number of recurrent dreams. The last one was that I was in my Nan's house (she died now five years ago) and it was hard to see (misty) I walk upstairs (straight ahead of me) but find my footsteps heavier and heavier. I don't want to be there, it doesn't feel right. I go down and try the door but it is locked. I feel a presence is there with me, approaching me. It is very very strong in that the sense of it is overwhelming. I wake up before I can see what/who it was.

I cannot properly recall the other dreams unless I have had one recently...the details fade over time but I always remember when the dream starts..I conscously think 'oh no, not again'.

I have no idea what the above dream means or why I keep having it. There is usually a long gap between them (hence the fading details).

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Sounds like a stress related dream. Are you in any personal situations that you're struggling to cope with, under a lot of pressure? Out on a total limb it looks like anxiety related to having a child...?

To be honest though, it's almost impossible to interpret dreams for someone cold. The imagery your mind creates is personal to you and while one person might consider that the setting of a grandmothers house is comforting, another person may have been afraid of that house and the connotation is completely different. Best thing to do is write down all the details as they come to you, and also write down your instictive reaction to each detail. Once you done that, see if you can't work out what you're trying to tell yourself.

Hello Loach

I agree with Esk this sounds like an anxiety related dream.It seems to have a sense of dread in it when you feel you are in familiar surroundings.Your nan, and going back in time to me, says you are looking for some comfort and reassurance with something that is going on in your life..

The misty staircase to me would suggest you feel anxious or afraid of moving forward with something.

Like Esk says it would help you to write your dreams down when they worry you maybe in a dream journal.

Hope this helps a little

winterwitch x

Im so sorry Laoch I made a mistake when typing your name :)

Im slightly dyslexic but more so with numbers..

winterwitch x

No worries re the name :lol:

I would be more inclined to go woth you Winterwitch. My nan and I were close...closer since she died as she doesn't have to go through hoops to see me anymore :)

Thank you for the comments, much appreciated.

I find it very interesting that you describe this dream in relation to your feelings of frustration at not being able to understand your dreams.

Ultimately, only you can really interpret your dreams as what may appear to be a common dream archetype could also be the flavour of ice cream you ate today or an exam you're scared of taking tomorrow. But very often, a house in your dreams can symbolise parts of you and your consciousness. So, if you're going upstairs in the house, and you find the uppermost part shut off to you, it could simply be that you're trying, unsuccessfully, to access your mind.

If this is the case, you'll need the key if you want to unlock the door. And that's something you have, somewhere. Perhaps you just need to stop worrying about it and let it turn up, or perhaps you need to go into the dream and find someone to ask.

Try writing your dreams down whenever you have them - not only will it help you to remember them, but the reflective process might help you to make connections which you don't think of straight away.

Thank you Rani. Its not something I worry about constantly (too busy for that :) ) its just something that annoys me when it happens because there isn't anything I can pin down as to the meaning. I like my sleep and at times like that I wake up as if sleep had never come. I kind of wanted to make sure there's a good reason for that at least.

The upstairs is not shut off to me, its just not a nice place for me to be. Its the front door I can't open. almost as if I've my escape route has been cut off.

I'm quite a grounded person and whilst I do worry about things I try not to let it get the better of me. But I am a person who doesn't like 'loose ends', I prefer a result to something..an end of sorts. Hence the frustration.

There is also fear involved, growing up was a scary time for me in terms of things spiritual so when similar happens now I find an involuntary fear. When this thing happens to be being locked into a misty dark house with something oppressive or heavy in it it kinda reaffirms my fears.

I'd like to push the fear to one side by finding out why..if that makes sense.

I think the explanations of my Nan warning me have been closer to the mark. On reflection, perhaps she is trying to teach me something.

I have just started a dream diary as you suggested so hopefully things will become a little clearer.

Sorry, I obviously didn't read your post very well! Having to read with two small children in the background doesn't lend itself to great concentration!

Anyway, if you can find the time and energy to keep up the dream diary, I'm sure it will produce some interesting results! (My only problem was that the more regularly I wrote the dreams down, the more I'd remember, so it started to take up an hour or more every morning and I had to give up!)

Sorry, I obviously didn't read your post very well! Having to read with two small children in the background doesn't lend itself to great concentration!

Anyway, if you can find the time and energy to keep up the dream diary, I'm sure it will produce some interesting results! (My only problem was that the more regularly I wrote the dreams down, the more I'd remember, so it started to take up an hour or more every morning and I had to give up!)

307886[/snapback]

I hear that, having kids in the background generally creates a lot of interference :P

To be fair, I often have trouble explaining myself properly and my thoughts tend to get jumbled up between my head and getting written down so it probably wasn't you :rolleyes:

you could try reading carl jung - he's pretty good on dreams and the unconscious mind. a dream journal is a good idea too.

you could also try reading up on the science of sleep which gives an alternative insight into dreaming.

What we eat/take in can also influence our dreams too, so that might be of interest too.

fizz

you could try reading carl jung - he's pretty good on dreams and the unconscious mind.  a dream journal is a good idea too.

you could also try reading up on the science of sleep which gives an alternative insight into dreaming.

What we eat/take in can also influence our dreams too, so that might be of interest too.

fizz

308156[/snapback]

Thank you Fizzyclare1. I did a bit on Carl Jung at Uni actually, which is why I am so inclined to think it of spiritual origin. Some dreams I have I know have no spiritual roots at all, its just these particular kinds of dreams are so different from the others.

Before bed I usually have camomile tea or horlicks...or just water. I learned a long time ago that feeding my body most things just before bed was a bad idea. My mind does seem to run away with itself sometimes :o_claps:

I can suffer with insomnia too which I've been reading up about..again different from the problem in hand but interesting nonetheless.

I appreciate your input.