Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Finding My Path

Guest Laoch

Me again :D

I mentioned in my path in my intro and thought I would elaborate as I would like to expand on what I've already learned.

I don't worship the Celtic gods exactly but I do pray or ask for advice. I have seen and spoken with Brigit in my dreams (waking or sleeping). I have an affinity/fascination with Unicorns. I feel very connected to nature and love to grow things. I thought it might be hedgewitchery but having read a few books I think not. I have celtic roots and often feel connected to my ancestors, a couple in particular. I'm not so good at rituals as such as I feel like its a bit 'setup', I prefer to be myself as I am if that makes sense.

I've kind of reached a point where I need to be moving in a direction again and feel like I'm paddling around in circles a bit. I'd like to learn more about Druids but I don't know/understand if thats the path I'm on.

I hope this post makes sense, the stilted typing is because I'm nervous :D

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

To add, I believe a Unicorn either guides me or helps me or something..I dream of them alot and Brigit showed me horses in my dream of her..I different kind/colour for different aspects of me 'I think'.

Okay, well this makes me sound even sillier but hey...may aswell go the whole nine yards.

I'm always drawing trees...no, tree to be precise. Whenever I doodle and my mind wanders I draw a tree. It just feel right to look at and comforting. *blush*

Well, I don't know about unicorns, but the Celtic Goddess Epona has connections with horses, so have you looked into that? Or there's Rhiannon, linked to the underworld as well as horses.

As to doodling trees, so do I!!! Nothing wrong with that.

Many people here don't know or even want a specific path, the path you are on is your path.

It doesn't need a label or a set of values unless you want it to have.

Just enjoy learning what you find as you find it, and perhaps a path will choose you.

As to Druids, I am trying to study them myself, but it has been slow going for personal reasons.

I wish you well with your learning and discoveries. :D

Love Liz XXX

Thank you for your reply Liz. Do you have any books on Druidry that you could recommend?

The label isn't hugely important its more to know where/what I can study to learn more.

Although to be fair, its probably worth me tackling one bit at a time...

I don't buy very many books because I can't afford them.

I use the internet mostly these days.

Try googling Druids and see what you can find.

It worked for me. :D

I liked the pages of Philip Carr-Gomm.

And I keep in touch with a lady called Emma Restall Orr from time to time, she is running this year's Druid camp and her craft name is Bobcat.

Hi Laoch, the path you are on is the Laoch Path, as RM has already said!

If Bride (Brigid) has appeared to you, then perhaps you should look into what she means and see if anything there appeals! She has lots of aspects!

As for Druidry, look up OBOD (Philip Carr-Gomms order) on google, they have an overly expensive course, but also free forum you can join, so you can see what you think of it all!

Or you could just learn about trees! doesnt have to be Druidry!

Local Libraries often have a lot of interesting books to read! In several different sections!

At the end of the day, look into things, enjoy the journey and learn about yourself! If you find you are a Druid, Witch, etc, then you will know eventually! But you will always be you! Whatever Path you follow!

Have fun! :D

I read up on Brigit...fire, family..lots of pertinent aspects for me.

I'll check out the druid site. My local library has nothing on pagan things. However, I use Amazon a lot...much to my OH dismay :D

You could also keep an eye on Moonhunter's suggestion for borrowing other members books from the UKP library.

I think exploring something like OBOD is a good idea. I bought a book called Druid Magic ages ago, by Maya Sutton, I think...Druidry's not for me but it was an interesting read. I'd also recommend Kindling the Celtic Spirit by Mara Freeman - it's not a book on druidry per se, more about 'Celtic spirituality', but it gives some good ideas for celebrating the festivals.

The Celts held some trees sacred, they were called bile (pronounced 'bill-uh'). In Ireland they were large trees, usually ash, oak or yews that were supposed to be found at the centre of the kingdom. They were said to be large enough for the whole tuath ('tribe' or 'people') to fit under, and their flourishing reflected the prosperity of the tuath; they were held so sacred that sometimes an enemy would cut down the bile as an insult. The king was often inaugurated underneath or near the bile, so it seems they represented the king's relationship with the land, it's branches spreading protectively over the land and the people as the king did. He was responsible for his people's well-being, and the bile was a reflection of that. So it was a sacred centre, the spiritual heart of the people, so to speak. Your fascination with trees would be very apt in some ways.

Hello Laoch

I agree with whats been said by everyone here. If you feel like a kind of simple book to start with I would recommend Cassandra Eason The modern day druidess,.

I often doodle trees too lol I love trees I feel they each have their own energy and wisdom and some are easier to connect with than others.

Enjoy your journey :)

winterwitch x

Thank you for all your comments. Lots of leads and food for thought there.

I will look at the UKP library too.

Can't really add much to what's already been said Loach - all great advice!

Sacred Texts is an online resource for all stuff pagan/faith/folklore related, and a mine of info on all things Celtic.

Good luck on the path of discovery!

i love trees too :o_wink2: if you want an over view of different paths you could try Pagan Paths by Pete Jennings,its a general guide to different pagan paths and i found it quite helpful :o_wink2:

Cool, thanks.

I can't find the UKP Library though?

307292[/snapback]

It's not actually up and running yet, it's an idea that we're working on.

Have a look here and here.

Loach, I have just posted a link to a downloadable copy of the historical atlas of the Celts. It may well be something you'll find of interest!

There is a small, fairly cheap book called What Druids Believe by Philip Carr-Gomm that sets out one version of the basic tenets of Neo-Druidry, it is a good first read although if you can find The Druid Mysteries by PCG that is a much fuller explanation of OBOD flavoured Druidry. For AODA flavoured Druidry (subtly different in emphasis, OBOD like four elements whereas AODA like three realms) then it has to be The Druid Handbook by John Michael Greer. I don't really like Emma Restall-Orr's books much so I can't recommend any but I am told they deal more with the feminine aspects of Druidry so maybe I should stick at them and give them another go. Having said that, her book on ritual is pretty good. The Path Through The Forest and Arianrhod's Dance by Graham Talboys and Julie White (I think thats the authors anyway) are pretty good and written from yet another point of view and Natural Druidry by Kristoffer Hughes is a very personal account of Druidry from a Welsh perspective.

As for courses, the OBOD course is excellent but expensive, a free alternative would be the New Order of Druids who provide their courses for download and offer tutoring. The NOD course is almost exclusively Irish in content (written from an American point of view which tends towards the Irish rather than the Welsh, Scottish, Breton or Briton) and I have only seen the Bardic course (there is an Ovate course available too, no Druid as far as I know yet) but if you are looking for a cheap way into Druidry it is well worth a look. The Druid Network has a set of twelve fairly light monthly lessons which are a nice introduction to a more self-directed path (written by Emma Restall-Orr but with a more universal appeal than some of her work as far as I can see). The book A Witch Alone by Marian Green is a very good grounding in general Hedge Druidry/Hedge Witchery (there are many overlaps) and I usually recommend it for people who are unsure about their path along with more Druidy/Wiccany/Witchy/Heatheny stuff.

If you are unsure about anything there is a lot of experience on these boards and very few people bite, just stay three feet from the bars at all times... :)

There is a small, fairly cheap book called What Druids Believe by Philip Carr-Gomm that sets out one version of the basic tenets of Neo-Druidry, it is a good first read although if you can find The Druid Mysteries by PCG that is a much fuller explanation of OBOD flavoured Druidry. For AODA flavoured Druidry (subtly different in emphasis, OBOD like four elements whereas AODA like three realms) then it has to be The Druid Handbook by John Michael Greer. I don't really like Emma Restall-Orr's books much so I can't recommend any but I am told they deal more with the feminine aspects of Druidry so maybe I should stick at them and give them another go. Having said that, her book on ritual is pretty good. The Path Through The Forest and Arianrhod's Dance by Graham Talboys and Julie White (I think thats the authors anyway) are pretty good and written from yet another point of view and Natural Druidry by Kristoffer Hughes is a very personal account of Druidry from a Welsh perspective.

As for courses, the OBOD course is excellent but expensive, a free alternative would be the New Order of Druids who provide their courses for download and offer tutoring. The NOD course is almost exclusively Irish in content (written from an American point of view which tends towards the Irish rather than the Welsh, Scottish, Breton or Briton) and I have only seen the Bardic course (there is an Ovate course available too, no Druid as far as I know yet) but if you are looking for a cheap way into Druidry it is well worth a look. The Druid Network has a set of twelve fairly light monthly lessons which are a nice introduction to a more self-directed path (written by Emma Restall-Orr but with a more universal appeal than some of her work as far as I can see). The book A Witch Alone by Marian Green is a very good grounding in general Hedge Druidry/Hedge Witchery (there are many overlaps) and I usually recommend it for people who are unsure about their path along with more Druidy/Wiccany/Witchy/Heatheny stuff.

If you are unsure about anything there is a lot of experience on these boards and very few people bite, just stay three feet from the bars at all times... :)

307643[/snapback]

Wow, lots of info there. Its the Irish side of things that grabs me the most sp no worries there. My family hail from Southern Eire although somewhat severed from my roots there I haven't learned the language or culture properly yet. Something I'd love to rectify. My username is Irish for Warrior.

I saw the bardic course before so will have another look.

Tas- Thank you muchly, I find historical maps very interesting indeed...you've made my day :D

Hi Loach,

just wanted to say I feel like I've just met another kindred spirit.

If you can find a book called "Celtic Wisdom" by Andy Baggot it's a very good read, and there's a chapter on tree wisdom. It's a book that changed my way of looking at things.

Everyone is right about not over emphasising where in the Pagan world you fit. The best advice I got from this forum was be you, on your path.

I don't believe in the deities either, I'm drawn to a more naturalistic pagan path, I don't exactly pray or ask advice as such. I have a view that all living things have a conciousness of some kind and therefore it would be rude to take some wood say, from a tree without asking the tree itself first. If you get to read the book I mentioned then that will kind of make more sense.

I do have a leaning towards hedgewitchery (without the ritual and goddess element), though I do work with Earth energies, the raw power of nature. I just don't do ritual very well, I'm too spontanious and chaotic for all that ceremony.

I also consider myself a Celt.

I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

Blessed Be

Claz

Hi Loach,

just wanted to say I feel like I've just met another kindred spirit.

If you can find a book called "Celtic Wisdom" by Andy Baggot it's a very good read, and there's a chapter on tree wisdom. It's a book that changed my way of looking at things.

Everyone is right about not over emphasising where in the Pagan world you fit. The best advice I got from this forum was be you, on your path.

I don't believe in the deities either, I'm drawn to a more naturalistic pagan path, I don't exactly pray or ask advice as such. I have a view that all living things have a conciousness of some kind and therefore it would be rude to take some wood say, from a tree without asking the tree itself first. If you get to read the book I mentioned then that will kind of make more sense. 

I do have a leaning towards hedgewitchery (without the ritual and goddess element), though I do work with Earth energies, the raw power of nature. I just don't do ritual very well, I'm too spontanious and chaotic for all that ceremony.

I also consider myself a Celt.

I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

Blessed Be

Claz

308757[/snapback]

Hey Claz,

I've pm'ed you

some excellent recommends on druidry, the history of the celts is also a goody.

you may wish to look at the history of peoples in this isle and compare it with modern druidry. I found this useful, it added depth to my understanding of ancient druids and their society and modern druidry today.

Drawing trees eh? well that's an interesting thing, would you mind if I ask what do you experience when in woodland or around specific trees? If you don't wish to answer, that's okay, but the reason why I am asking is that you may be understanding something unconscious about the nature of life (or not - depends on your pov).

I ask this because when I am in woodlands, I do sense 'aliveness', a sort of consciousness if you like, could you be experiencing something similar? if so, could this be used as a useful clue to your own understand of nature?

ah the joys of not knowing...(everything in nature)

love fizz.