Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Developing Psychic Abiblites

Guest otaku

I often hear pyschics saying about how many of us are psychic, but how you need to practice and develop this ability to fully understand and conquer it. Im wondering how I can go about doing this?

Does this mean I should start learning the runes, the tarot, or another divitation system? Are are they other excercises I can do to enhance my natural psychic abilities?

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Um... good question!

I think it depends on the skills you want to develop. There are a lot of skills that fall under the "psychic" banner, clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairscentience, reading of cards, runes tarot, crystal balls, salt, mirrors, ESP, mediumship Psychometry... aaanyhoo you get the idea, the list is endless. I'm sure that if you googled it you'd get a completel list somewhere.

So first I think you need to decide what skill you want to develop. For example there is little point in thinking you would like to have the skill of Psychometry and work on buying and reading runes.

If you decide reading is for you, then choose your method and come back and let us know :lol: I am sure there are rune reading experts on here who could help you with that, if you choose tarot there are plenty of experts here on that... same for many of the other psychic skills.

As a general bit of advice... I'd suggest you work on some form of meditation. Not to take up deep yogic meditaion, just work on tuning into you. Your environment. Something simple like... sitting comfortably on your bed... focusing on your breathing, letting everything else go and being aware of your own energy, its that energy that helps you tap into other people and things and IMHO you need to know how to control that to do anything else.

Hope thats of some use. :)

I agree with Xalle although I personally find it hard to meditate :blink:

I have read tarot cards for years and I believe they can help you to become more in tune with your intuition. Its really important to find a deck that you feel comfortable with that will `talk ` to you.

You can browse some tarot decks on line at..

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/store.shtml

I have been able to hear voices all my life LOL yes I know how it sounds :D but even I question where they come from..im too down to earth to call myself psychic, but I have seen and heard things I have no rational explanation for..anyway back on topic..Im sure you can find a way to be more in tune with your psychic side. See what types of divination you are drawn too, it may be you are more comfortable with the Runes or even crystals.

The most important thing is that you do what feels right for you and don`t let any so called `psychics` tell you what to do, there are alot of fakes out there :) that don`t mind charging for their `services`

Let us know how you get on :)

I very much agree with xalle. Provided you are in no rush and want savour the journey just spend time quietly. It is suprising just how little time we give our minds to relax. It is always a case of thinking about the next thing, or having tv or music on the go. Find somewhere outdoors......somewhere quiet. You don't even need to meditate in any formal way. Just sitting still and quiet will encourage your mind to alter its state. After a while you will become better at slipping into a state of mind which is more insightful.

mike

WW's thoughts are good ones re this.

I have problems with your use of the word "conquer" though - psychism isn't a foe!

That aside, there are almost too many books on the subject. They all hold similarites as well as disagreeing about which way is the best/right way.

I suspect because their is no best or right way to far see.

Let me explain how I view this topic.

I believe we all have the ability, but that it has been civilised out of us by the time we reach adolescence if not earlier. This (IMO) due to the Church's teachings against such activities.

Some of us, it won't be quelled.

For others, the need to know or rediscover gnaws away until we begin asking how. As with yourself.

Bacj to the tools. IMO, tarot is relatively modern. Initially playing cards were too expensive for the average person. So they used the older tried and tested methods: runes (if that was their cultural background) scrying etc.

Add to those reading entrails, clouds, birds' flight patterns and so forth and it becomes clearer that people have always sought a way to access the future. And been inventive in the means to do so.

I suggest you gather things that hold symbolic meaning FOR YOU. It is you who will be using them after all!

Keep them close, think on them and what they signify to you and why. Through time they will become as effective if not more so than items chosen because they are supposed to work.

I am NOT saying bought items can't or won't work BTW - just that there are other ways.

Um... good question!

I think it depends on the skills you want to develop. There are a lot of skills that fall under the "psychic" banner, clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairscentience, reading of cards, runes tarot, crystal balls, salt, mirrors, ESP, mediumship Psychometry... aaanyhoo you get the idea, the list is endless. I'm sure that if you googled it you'd get a completel list somewhere.

So first I think you need to decide what skill you want to develop. For example there is little point in thinking you would like to have the skill of Psychometry and work on buying and reading runes.

If you decide reading is for you, then choose your method and come back and let us know  :blink: I am sure there are rune reading experts on here who could help you with that, if you choose tarot there are plenty of experts here on that... same for many of the other psychic skills.

As a general bit of advice... I'd suggest you work on some form of meditation. Not to take up deep yogic meditaion, just work on tuning into you. Your environment. Something simple like... sitting comfortably on your bed... focusing on your breathing, letting everything else go and being aware of your own energy, its that energy that helps you tap into other people and things and IMHO you need to know how to control that to do anything else.

Hope thats of some use.  :)

309211[/snapback]

ok..some people have natural gifts..others have to work at it..but this is because we have developed this in a previous incarnation and through whatever means, it has stayed with us. So...to break it down, the most important part of this is to learn how to go into the caugent properly. I am not sure if you know what this is...but the caugent is the space betwen worlds...Wiccans will describe it as casting circle...others may describe it as being on the astral..although this is not to be confused with astral travel. It is a space in yourself where you seek the answers from within and from your past memories. If you would like more info on how to do this then PM me...I have worked in this way for a very long time and with others on the same path...from this point you can start to develop your skills and encorporate scrying, runes, tarot etc if that is what gels with you

• 2 weeks later...

ok..some people have natural gifts..others have to work at it..but this is because we have developed this in a previous incarnation and through whatever means, it has stayed with us.  So...to break it down, the most important part of this is to learn how to go into the caugent properly.  I am not sure if you know what this is...but the caugent is the space betwen worlds...Wiccans will describe it as casting circle...others may describe it as being on the astral..although this is not to be confused with astral travel. It is a space in yourself where you seek the answers from within and from your past memories.  If you would like more info on how to do this then PM me...I have worked in this way for a very long time and with others on the same path...from this point you can start to develop your skills and encorporate scrying, runes, tarot etc if that is what gels with you

309550[/snapback]

O.K., I've been staring at this for a week. Can anyone EXPLAIN what this means to me ? Especially the 'caugent'.

Thanks,

Marto

Well.. I missed the post myself but yeah.. I dont get it myself either. Also...

ok..some people have natural gifts..others have to work at it..but this is because we have developed this in a previous incarnation and through whatever means, it has stayed with us.

This is clearly your take on it. Personally I completely disagree.

Why cant this be the incarnation Otaku develops the skill? Why do these skills have to come from a previous incarnation at all?

but the caugent is the space betwen worlds...Wiccans will describe it as casting circle...others may describe it as being on the astral..although this is not to be confused with astral travel. It is a space in yourself where you seek the answers from within and from your past memories.

Erm... again... past memories? Why? Whats learning how to develop your skills got to do with this at all? Learning Tarot or any of these skills is about learning to tap into your own and others energies... Seeking answers? It all seems a bit spritual as opposed to practical.

THANK YOU!

It's been driving me nuts. I am familiar with the very accomplished geneticist of the name Caugent and I also believe it's something in some kind of on-line game but I'd never heard of it before in a, hmmm, pagan? context.

I'm also wondering : if it's not the 'astral' (whatever or where ever that is), then what is the difference between ++It is a space in yourself where you seek the answers from within and from your past memories++ and trying to access one's subconscious?

Unless we are talking about past lives here on which I have no comment. And if one is going for past incarnations, one might get Harold the illiterate serf from up Mercia way :D (no offense meant) and I'm not sure what he has for moi or if I want his 'gift'.

Marto - there are more things at the Mall, Horatio

DISCLAIMER! this is not either a diss or saying the post I was referring to has no merit. I just didn't get it so the fault lies in my failure of understanding.

I think psychic ability is within us all, infact, I think its so important it enhanced our own survival years ago.

sure, some are better than others, theres nothing new there, some folks are better at maths than others, psychic ability is no different.

all I can say is experiment, read up on it, do fun stuff.

fizz

I think psychic ability is within us all, infact, I think its so important it enhanced our own survival years ago.

Or could it be our perceptions have changed? Small changes or events that we don't notice anymore but which may have meant the difference between life and death back on the High Savanna?

sure, some are better than others, theres nothing new there, some folks are better at maths than others, psychic ability is no different.

So the difference between a math dummy and an physicist who deals with advanced math is simply practice or aptitude? This isn't a dig, I just get a bit itchy in the face when a 'hierarchy of talent' for an unproven phenomenon is presented as a fact.

And one of the reasons I do is because in your last sentence ( nowt wrong with wishing people to have fun :D ), there is the implicit assumption that a person could reach high levels of psychic ability. And that may be true. But if not, then a lot of people will go the way of those who become so disillusioned with the whole deal because no matter how hard they try, no matter how many methods, that totally clear psychic moment eludes them. And they will feel somehow 'less' than everybody else who, apparently, have this ability to one degree or another and they will never have this sort of fun.

But sure, no harm in trying. There are just no guarantees as far as *I* have seen or heard.

And the usual disclaimer that this is just my own P.O.V. .

Marto

Edited by Marto

I have heard time and time again that if you ever heard the telephone ring and knew who was on the line before you answered then you can develop psychic ability. That may be true and I think it is a matter of coincidence. Coincidence and sychronicity are part of being psychic. If you are in the rhythm of life and open to the flow of energies around you then you can be a psychic.

The question of how to develop this isn't easy to answer. Allow yourself to dream in the sense that you allow your mind to wander and don't be afraid of failure.

BB

Hatiora

I have heard time and time again that if you ever heard the telephone ring and knew who was on the line before you answered then you can develop psychic ability.  That may be true and I think it is a matter of coincidence.  Coincidence and sychronicity are part of being psychic.  If you are in the rhythm of life and open to the flow of energies around you then you can be a psychic. 

The question of how to develop this isn't easy to answer.  Allow yourself to dream in the sense that you allow your mind to wander and don't be afraid of failure. 

BB

Hatiora

311404[/snapback]

And does that mean if a person doesn't know who was calling they can't develop psychic abilities?

Thing is, there are patterns and connections in our lives that are more likely to happen than not. I've yet to hear of someone tell me they were just thinking of Mick Jagger and damned if the phone didn't ring and it was him calling for a chin-wag on the telephone. Synchronicity is simply the possibility of certain things happening at certain times, meaning, it's totally within the realms of possibility that while a person is juggling fiery monkeys whilst wearing a pink shirt, someone else in the world is doing the same thing. Some things are more likely than others but that doesn't mean somethings can't happen.

Yes to not being afraid of failure. However, I do think people should be open to the possibility of failure. To posit that something will happen if only a person tries hard enough is not very realistic IMO and sets people up for disappointment and feelings of 'failure'. Because, lets be honest here, there is no robust demonstration of psychic events that has ever been shown.

By the way, I happen to believe in psychic events though I don't know what they may be or by what they are governed. But this I think I've sussed out: there are no 'rules' that we know of yet regarding such a phenomena.

Marto

Or could it be our perceptions have changed? Small changes or events that we don't notice anymore but which may have meant the difference between life and death back on the High Savanna?

So the difference between a math dummy and an physicist who deals with advanced math is simply practice or aptitude? This isn't a dig, I just get a bit itchy in the face when a 'hierarchy of talent' for an unproven phenomenon is presented as a fact.

And one of the reasons I do is because in your last sentence ( nowt wrong with wishing people to have fun :lol: ), there is the implicit assumption that a person could reach high levels of psychic ability. And that may be true. But if not, then a lot of people will go the way of those who become so disillusioned with the whole deal because no matter how hard they try, no matter how many methods, that totally clear psychic moment eludes them. And they will feel somehow 'less' than everybody else who, apparently, have this ability to one degree or another and they will never have this sort of fun.

But sure, no harm in trying. There are just no guarantees as far as *I* have seen or heard.

And the usual disclaimer that this is just my own P.O.V. .

Marto

311395[/snapback]

Sure, its not proven scientifically (like experimental stuff an all that), doesn't mean we can't continue exploring the possibilities though. I think thats the spirit of adventure expressing itself. And some of psychic ability, asfaik, has been explored using experimental methods (like remote viewing stuff) which suggested that psychic ability does exist. or am I wrong in that?

I also think/believe that a person can achieve whatever they want, yes there are truly gifted exceptions like Einstein and the likes, but for the most of us, if we want to be 'good' at something it requires effort and belief in oneself as well as practical opportunities to get that chance to develop.

With regard to disillusionment, I think that's potentially a part of human experience, I think that, in the end that if we wish to succeed at something then it is a question of never giving up on a particular goal. depends on how much 'we' want it I suppose.

also could you clarify what you meant in your first paragraph (about perceptions) - an example would be useful. also I don't understand exactly what you mean by a hierachy of talent, could you please expand.

Sure, its not proven scientifically (like experimental stuff an all that), doesn't mean we can't continue exploring the possibilities though.  I think thats the spirit of adventure expressing itself.  And some of psychic ability, asfaik, has been explored using experimental methods (like remote viewing stuff) which suggested that psychic ability does exist.  or am I wrong in that?

I also think/believe that a person can achieve whatever they want, yes there are truly gifted exceptions like Einstein and the likes, but for the most of us, if we want to be 'good' at something it requires effort and belief in oneself as well as practical opportunities to get that chance to develop.

With regard to disillusionment, I think that's potentially a part of human experience, I think that, in the end that if we wish to succeed at something then it is a question of never giving up on a particular goal.  depends on how much 'we' want it I suppose.

also could you clarify what you meant in your first paragraph (about perceptions) - an example would be useful.  also I don't understand exactly what you mean by a hierachy of talent, could you please expand.

311540[/snapback]

I'll take the last questions first. Although we have very acute sensory perceptions, there is little call upon us in modern times to use them to their full extent for survival. Yet, we are still perceiving the information. Sometimes we think we 'just know something' when in fact we have been picking up sensory clues but not paying attention to them. There was time in our evolution when NOT paying attention to such clues could have dire consequences.

As for the hierarchy remark, this comes into play when people propose that some people are born with psychic ability, all people are born with it but only some develop it , some will never have it and so forth. For a phenomenon for which there is not even an explanation or even a demonstrable way to show it exists, the idea that there are 'levels' of ability for this ephemeral phenomenon is rather gobsmacking (to me). It can also be used to place people in a hierarchy or, position of advantage, over those who don't have this 'thing'. So to say that a person can develop high levels of this phenomenon when we don't know what it is or if it is or how it works if it does exist can lead to a form of elitism - one I've observed too many times on pagan boards.

If there are 'Einsteins' of the psychic realms, let them step forward. This also implies that some people are 'gifted' or more 'talented' than others. And how does one actually demonstrate that? This also implies that only a very few people can reach an advanced stage and become completely 'psychic' and some schmucks will just be sub-par and/or never get it right. We are back to a form of elitism again.

No experimental data exists as of this time to show that psychic phenomenon actually works or happens. The 'remote viewing' experiments like 'Stargate' were pretty dismal.

Sure, failure can happen at any time for anything, but to say someone is a 'failure' because they can't reliably produce something that is still unknowable is absurd (to me) and rather hard on a person I should think.

I'm all for experimenting and investigating. What I am not up for is for making statements regarding something of which we know next to nothing yet telling people if they just practice ( practice what? practice how? ), they will achieve this ability. Yes, people can learn just about anything. So, how does one 'learn' something like psychic ability in a way that can be demonstrable and measurable to themselves much like learning to draw will show progress as the pictures improve in technique?

One of the problems is, unlike drawing, there is nothing to measure it by. Of course, I'm quite open to anyone showing me different. As I mentioned, I don't disbelieve, I'm just not willing to presume upon something , something the 'facts' of which I actually know nothing about.

Marto

Edited by Marto

You mean that (on perceptual ability) that because we see something that we assume one thing instead of another? (ie interpret it as psychic ability).

not terribly sure that I agree with you about your standpoint on evidence. One of the things I was interested in learning about before becoming ill was psychic ability. I'd planned to study this for my pHd/masters (never got to make my mind up though for obvious reasons). Not really gonna pursue this though cos I can't be bothered (sorry Marto - but if I had the energy I'd be doing my phd :) ). So I'll agree to disagree, I don't feel like trawling through loads of research or developing a reasoned argument (like hypothesis etc).

I wasn't being elitist, I genuinely believe that we all have psychic ability, its our choice whether we develop it or not, doesn't make anybody a lesser person. I never said anybody was a failure.

with regard to demonstrable testing, I'd mostly likely select some kind of probability measurement. If I'd succeeded at that stage, I'd probably look to some kind of evolutionary explanation (cos if it is true, then the survival of psychic abilities would no doubt be prevalent accross the board, so to speak.)

In order to understand something as tricky as psychic ability (and its development) that would probably take time. from my own personal experience the darn thing fluctuates wildly (which could be one reason why its so hard to measure, giving the appearance of coincidence rather than an actual experience). Any experimental design would have to control for fatique and lack of novelty as these kinds of things tend to bias scores in psychological testing generally. I also would have been interested in looking at survival situations...but how that would be achieved with realism and not be harmful to the participant is hard to imagine - I am no mengele.

I did wonder about using observation at one point, but as I am sure you'd realise those perceptions interefere.

using experimental design does represent enormous difficulties.

With regard to what I said to the original post, reading broadly will allow the OP to make their own mind up about things,personal experimentation will allow the OP to come to some conclusions of their own.

On a personal note, and maybe provides something for Otaku, I found games to be helpful, but it did take a long time. Initially, I tried the squiggly line, square, triangle stuff which whilst initially being fairly high began to dwindle (I wonder about the role of boredom here). Then I left it alone for a bit - cos of boredom, and the disillusionment that you mentioned earlier. Later on, I tried various bits of thought games (like guess what I am thinking about - my friend was very good at that, I wasn't good at receiving - obviously none of this was done under controlled conditions but it was enough to get me interested).

Later still, I did tarot and all sorts of divination pratice (it broaden my understanding of people no end and yes, its perfectly possible that I picked up cues that allowed me to interpret.)

Until finally, at the ripening age of forty something, I get sporadic images and sensations, intuitions that I can't altogether explain how I arrived at. Sometimes I wonder whether maturational issues were at play with me...but dunno if that applies to most. but still, it comes and goes with a mind of its own (seemingly).

fizz

Yes, it's that damn coming and going thing that makes it so difficult to even find the words to speak of it, let alone design some experimental paradigm.

Hey! Maybe one day a bunch of white-coaters will all be standing around trying to figure it out and they will all have the same vision at the same time and also, mention it!

Yeah, not going to happen but I can dream, can't I :)

I did know one psych. prof. who studied it in his 'spare' time. He found so many possible hits that he started to neglect his other (boring) work and got reprimanded by the tenure committee. Too bad, he had some really interesting stuff!

I so wish 'parapsychology' (I hate that name) was as acceptable to study when I went through as it is now , though it's only marginally so now. Still, I would have pursued it.

After all, how is ANYBODY going to know if we don't look?

Marto

I so wish 'parapsychology' (I hate that name) was as acceptable to study when I went through as it is now , though it's only marginally so now. Still, I would have pursued it.

After all, how is ANYBODY going to know if we don't look?

Marto

311689[/snapback]

totally in agreement there, guess we need to be more inventive, the trouble with parapsychology is that (if they use probability testing) that all they can say is that something is not due to random chance, any further interpretation becomes difficult because then the interpretation relies on evidence that science (e.g. behaviourists) doesn't accept (that is the measurability of the inner world of a person).

often wondered though if cognitive behaviourism might have been useful...

fizz

• 1 month later...

I personally have a hunch (My favorite scientific term). If a person had the ability to combine at one time 5 things, 100% concentration, 100% visualization, enough willpower (which requires true belief), enough desire and enough emotion = anything is possible. If we need to use 4 more percent of our brain to do this, maybe we should learn how. I have read several people's testimony that meditating on the tip of a flame for 5-30 minutes daily increases their dreaming substantially. What I take from that is that those folks experience increased neural activity. When I look at the list of five ingredients, they all have to do with personal development. As an actor in the stanisklavsky method, one would draw on a deeply tragic event in their life such as the death of a loved one, then direct that energy into the performance...Isn't theatre magical? It could be magickal! and also, I believe that emotion, willpower and desire can also have a finite value in the equation, the question is if 100% of one's personal ability is enough.

I personally have a hunch (My favorite scientific term). If a person had the ability to combine at one time 5 things, 100% concentration, 100% visualization, enough willpower (which requires true belief), enough desire and enough emotion = anything is possible.  If we need to use 4 more percent of our brain to do this, maybe we should learn how. I have read several people's testimony that meditating on the tip of a flame for 5-30 minutes daily increases their dreaming substantially.  What I take  from that is that those folks experience increased neural activity.  When I look at the list of five ingredients, they all have to do with personal development. As an actor in the stanisklavsky method, one would draw on a deeply tragic event in their life such as the death of a loved one, then direct that energy into the performance...Isn't theatre magical? It could be magickal! and also, I believe that emotion, willpower and desire can also have a finite value in the equation, the question is if 100% of one's personal ability is enough.

319406[/snapback]

I think 'hunch' would fall into the 'pre-scientific' category, wouldn't it? :o_claps: . I'm having a hard time desciphering this post, so perhaps if I ask a few questions you could make it simpler for me?

Why '5 things'?

Why does will power require 'true belief'? Sometimes people use all their 'will power' without knowing what an outcome may be ( i.e. attempting to rescue someone in dire conditions - so all their will power to stay the course but not having the luxury of 'belief' that things will have a good outcome).

We use 100% of our brains at all times - that's why it's all there, because we need it. Even if one is sick in bed, the very thing that is laying them low is their immune system which is in overdrive , etc. Our systems are always 'on' - 100%.

Is it a contradiction to say one needs a,b, c, and then say at the end that a,b,c are finite so still 'not enough' unless someone already has the ability?

Thanks,

Marto

I have to say that I don't belive that anyone is born with a greater or lesser gift regarding psychic abilities. From what I have witnessed in years of teaching meditation there are many people who claim to have a gift but when it comes down to it they have either been encouraged in developing their ability through supportive or open minded parenting or because they have a fierce independent streak that has provided internal support for them to learn through trial and error. This is not to diminish anyone's ability but I think they got there through unconscious self-training rather than a free gift at birth, which really is something to be proud of. This doesn't mean that those who are not in that camp are at a disadvantage, it just means that they have a bit of catching up to do.

In Buddhism, psychic abilities are seen as an unfortunate side-effect of regular meditation - something that is to be ignored as it can be a distraction from the ultimate goal. If you have ever had the chance to talk to an accomplished meditator then you will have felt that aura of serenity that surrounds them and seen their easy intuition at work in the conversation. This is where the Buddhists see the value in psychic abilities, allowing them to practice compassion more effectively. For many Pagans and esotericists this is just the beginning, the first stage in the development of the mind towards a higher form of life.

Groups such as the Golden Dawn and most Druid groups that I know stress the value of meditation as the first step, getting to really know the mind from the inside out so that those dark unused corners can be recognised and brought into the everyday mind. Complex visualisations are not needed, just the ability to keep the mind concentrated on the same thing for more than a couple of seconds at a time, the first GD meditation is traditionally a meditation on a mathematical point, an infinitely small single point in a blank universe. Visualisations don't get less complicated than that.

Something else you might want to consider is Pathworking where you take an imaginary journey allowing your mind to colour in the details, Nick Farrell has a really good book on this (Magical Pathworking?). You can record the script on your PC, burn it to a CD and then play it back to yourself when you are comfortably relaxed (I use a copy of Rave E-Jay that I got free with a magazine to do this). There is a lot you can be doing while you work out where you want to go but the important things are a will to do them and the effort to make them happen.

Good Luck, I'll know if you succeed... :D

(edited to put in some paragraphs...)

Edited by Badger Bob

I have to say that I don't belive that anyone is born with a greater or lesser gift regarding psychic abilities. From what I have witnessed in years of teaching meditation there are many people who claim to have a gift but when it comes down to it they have either been encouraged in developing their ability through supportive or open minded parenting or because they have a fierce independent streak that has provided internal support for them to learn through trial and error. This is not to diminish anyone's ability but I think they got there through unconscious self-training rather than a free gift at birth, which really is something to be proud of. This doesn't mean that those who are not in that camp are at a disadvantage, it just means that they have a bit of catching up to do.

319429[/snapback]

By what do you (or anyone) measure? Catching up to what ?

At what point is someone 'officially psychic'?

Marto

By what do you (or anyone) measure? Catching up to what ?

At what point is someone 'officially psychic'?

Marto

319607[/snapback]

That wasn't quite what I was trying to say. A lot of people who come into Druidry, especially the Ovate grade where things get a bit more divinatory, and feel discouraged by those who flick their hair (they always have long hair, maybe "your hair are your aerials man" after all) and proclaim to have an innate gift of second sight or something along those lines. I have even heard one or two people say if you are not born with "the gift" then you can't develop it which is absolute nonsense, there are very few people who can't develop some kind of psychic ability if they are open minded enough. Those I have met that can't at least get something out of dowsing rods tend to be very hardened skeptics who seem to be proving something to themselves. By catching up I merely meant that those who are at the beginning of developing their psychic powers just have the work to put in developing them, they don't have some insurmountable accident of birth that prevents them from ever doing so.

As for officially psychic, I hold the requirements for that and I can provide official T-shirts to anyone who can give me tomorrows winning lottery numbers and a pound... :)

I think 'hunch' would fall into the 'pre-scientific' category, wouldn't it? :D . I'm having a hard time desciphering this post, so perhaps if I ask a few questions you could make it simpler for me?

Why '5 things'?

Why does will power require 'true belief'? Sometimes people use all their 'will power' without knowing what an outcome may be ( i.e. attempting to rescue someone in dire conditions - so all their will power to stay the course but not having the luxury of 'belief' that things will have a good outcome).

We use 100% of our brains at all times - that's why it's all there, because we need it. Even if one is sick in bed, the very thing that is laying them low is their immune system which is in overdrive , etc. Our systems are always 'on' - 100%.

Is it a contradiction to say one needs a,b, c, and then say at the end that a,b,c are finite so still 'not enough' unless someone already has the ability?

Thanks,

Marto

319407[/snapback]

Wow, I like this site already. Bear with the slow people, please Marto ;-)

I'm still having revelations and realizing that my personal power is the missing ingredient. Of the 90 some odd senses, how many could be applied in this way simultaneously? It's seems that the key to physical manipulation of the will keys on the maximum number of interactions that can be made simultaneously..does that sound reasonable?

'psychicness' is the slipperiest, darndest, awkward thing I've ever come across. there is so many difficulties in testing it, so many things that we confuse with psychic ability and ordinary phenomena...aaah it gets so confusing. and then theres the 'unknown', the things that science has not yet noticed, or if noticed hasn't got the money, or deems the research to be useless or whatever...

Then theres the equally tricky problems of studying human experience (which psychic ability could be a part of - or not), the inner world is something not liked in scientific research, cos its not observable and its v.v.v. difficult to make general rules from such stuff as introspection, discussion etc. I suppose it depends on where you sit on the ideology thing.

fizz...gotta go the library is closing. (my computer is on the blink)

As for officially psychic, I hold the requirements for that and I can provide official T-shirts to anyone who can give me tomorrows winning lottery numbers and a pound... :D

319684[/snapback]

Yeah , right. I DID that and all I got back was a letter saying thanks for the pound and number and I should be psychic enough to see the see T-Shirt even if others didn't and got a lot of giggles for walking around in my bra!

Marto - suckered in again! :P

Edited by Marto

I think 'hunch' would fall into the 'pre-scientific' category, wouldn't it? :D . I'm having a hard time desciphering this post, so perhaps if I ask a few questions you could make it simpler for me?

Why '5 things'?

Thanks,

Marto

319407[/snapback]

Wow, I like this site already. Bear with the slow people, please Marto ;-)

I'm still having revelations and realizing that my personal power is the missing ingredient. Of the 90 some odd senses, how many could be applied in this way simultaneously? It's seems that the key to physical manipulation of the will keys on the maximum number of interactions that can be made simultaneously..does that sound reasonable?

319871[/snapback]

I think it's me that's slow as I didn't get this one either :P

90 senses? Um, which would those be?

I think physics dictates the number of maximum interactions that can be made simultaneously , doesn't it?

Sorry for being thick, here.

Marto

Then theres the equally tricky problems of studying human experience (which psychic ability could be a part of - or not), the inner world is something not liked in scientific research, cos its not observable and its v.v.v. difficult to make general rules from such stuff as introspection, discussion etc.  I suppose it depends on where you sit on the ideology thing.

fizz...gotta go the library is closing. (my computer is on the blink)

319930[/snapback]

Did you make it to the library? :P

No, I think timing is everything ( as per usual) . I've spent most of my life studying the brain and now they have tres cool tools to examine the brain in situ as it works. It's getting to watch someone's brain's in action during a 'psychic' act that is the problem. Also, we build our machines to look for those things we think we know about . Maybe we haven't built the right equipment yet? But still, we can examine thoughts and 'feeling's (as brain function) so microscopically now, I really believe if it can be 'caught' , it can be seen - there just has to be the will behind it ( for 'will', read research money - that's where any 'ideology would come in).

Marto

any published research, Marto that I could look into?

ever so grateful. fizz

p.s. made it out of the library (the rottweilers were on the loose and wanting to go home - can't wait for my puter to be fixed then I won't have to use their machines.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Some times I do think it helps to think a little outside the box. There have been some good posts on this topic, much of which I agree with, but surely the term Psychic Ability is a general one? I'd sort of liken it to the ability to drive a car, once you can drive, you can drive ANY car. So instead of concentrating on one divination method, surely you should be looking at learning the general basics which can then be used for any, or most systems that require psychic ability.

I know we are Pagan, but that doesn't mean you can't look outside the Pagan community to those who deal with this on a daily basis. Go and visit your local NSU Spiritualist Church, you will find they run development circles weekly, and don't charge a lot either for it. Spend some time learning the basics of protection, of meditation, and mediumship (which is just tuning in to something beyond your natural senses). It's like anything else, it takes time and practise and in some cases a change in mental attitude (especially for people who think logically, so good mathematicians beware), and you will start to improve. Once you have the basics then go on to chose your specialist subject or just branch out in different directions till you find something that really interests you or you seem to feel more confident with.

IMO, I do believe everyone is born with the ability, its just some people are naturals... they seem to be able to master the skills in early childhood with no development needed, others need a bit more encouragement. Some people don't want to learn how to use it, it frightens them, and that's ok too, it's an each to their own on this. Few though seem to have the drive and will power to put as much effort in to learn this skill as is needed, and thereby lies the problem. It could take you weeks or months, but you need to be prepared to work for years just to become confident in the basics..who knows? everyone is different. :D

Meanwhile of course, Tarot can be learnt without psychic abilities if you learn the meaning of the cards, and can be read that way. Interestingly if you put two Tarot Card readers together one who uses psychic abilities and the other the 'book' system to coin a phrase...mostly the readings will have different cards but similar outcomes for the same person ... that does fascinate me.. how do the cards know which method you are going to use? lol

BB

Morph.