Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Tarot Decks And Books - advice?

Guest GothicGoddess

Hi all just a quick question, I havent picked up my tarot cards for a v long time and now looking to get back into learning. is there any books & decks anyone can recommend? Thanks all

GG X

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Hi all just a quick question, I havent picked up my tarot cards for a v long time and now looking to get back into learning. is there any books & decks anyone can recommend? Thanks all

GG X

316455[/snapback]

I like the Thoth Tarot. It's just... stunning visually, and it seems to work for me.

The classic book is Crowley, The Book of Thoth, but actually I'd recommend Lon Milo Duquette's book, "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot," which is a lot more accessible.

DO have a look at the Sacred Circle tarot. It is based on Celtic Mythology and it came with a 300+ page softback book. Very nice artworks and lots of detail about the mythology - very informative and a delight to use.

I find recommending tarot decks tricky partly because I connect better with decks where the artwork really appeals to me. Obviously, this is a hugely personal thing but for what it's worth I really like:

ancestral path

Robin Wood

waking the wild spirit

There are lots more that I like but I'm in danger of taking over the house- the first and third given above are the ones I use most.

For learning, I think it's hard to beat the Rider pack. This is the one with pictures by Pamela Smith. You should quickly pick up on the "deliberate mistake".

The best Tarot book I ever came across was "Dancing with the Juggler" by Carolynn Townsend.

• 8 months later...
For learning, I think it's hard to beat the Rider pack. This is the one with pictures by Pamela Smith. You should quickly pick up on the "deliberate mistake".

316555[/snapback]

I've got this deck and I'm now wondering what the "deliberate mistake" is that I've missed. Any chance of a clue? :D

Aeclectic Tarot

Lots and lots and lots of decks to choose from.

I would personally suggest you pick a deck you like the look of. Everyone is an individual and other peoples suggestions of what they like might just be a waste of your money. I, for example couldn't have a Rider deck near me if I tried. Hate the bloody things but I know a lot of people who swear by them!

As for books, again my advice is going to be a little different. Don't bother with the books. Using the decks is about making a connection with them, about what they say to you, not what someone else says they mean. The only way in my experience, to have the cards really work for you is to let them tell you what they mean. My cards rarely mean the same thing. Some do, some when I see them regardless of the spread indicate particular things, but those things would in no way tally with what a book tells you.

Get the cards, make them yours don't worry about other people or what they think they should mean. Nothing makes a tool less effective than disconnection and boredom and trying to use other peoples systems.

316555[/snapback]

I've got this deck and I'm now wondering what the "deliberate mistake" is that I've missed. Any chance of a clue? :)

355480[/snapback]

It's Swords that are properly associated with fire, and Wands are associated with wind. The Rider pack has this the other way around so as to mislead the unwary.

316555[/snapback]

I've got this deck and I'm now wondering what the "deliberate mistake" is that I've missed. Any chance of a clue? :o_wave:

355480[/snapback]

It's Swords that are properly associated with fire, and Wands are associated with wind. The Rider pack has this the other way around so as to mislead the unwary.

355518[/snapback]

Thanks Fred. :) I thought that it could be that but I wasn't sure if it was me or it that was wrong. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I, for example couldn't have a Rider deck near me if I tried. Hate the bloody things but I know a lot of people who swear by them!

355489[/snapback]

Totally agreed!

TD.x.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd also go with Thoth Tarot deck - extremely rich in symbolism. Ignore anything to do with Crowley if it doesn't float your boat. Just as a piece of artwork it's delicious. My back-up pack is the Celtic Tarot. It's a lot simpler but still pretty, plus it's the standard deck without any of the odd cards Crowley threw in (like 'Art').

Decks are personal - it's important to pick one you like the look of.

The book I really recommend is: The Way of the Tarot: Jungian Approach for Deeper Insight into the Tarot

It really talks about reading symbolism, numbers and meaning in the cards rather than pages of 'this card means this...' to learn by rote. It's not for everyone, but I rather liked it.

Edited by Thinair

I'd also go with Thoth Tarot deck - extremely rich in symbolism. Ignore anything to do with Crowley if it doesn't float your boat. Just as a piece of artwork it's delicious. My back-up pack is the Celtic Tarot. It's a lot simpler but still pretty, plus it's the standard deck without any of the odd cards Crowley threw in (like 'Art').

Decks are personal - it's important to pick one you like the look of.

The book I really recommend is: The Way of the Tarot: Jungian Approach for Deeper Insight into the Tarot

It really talks about reading symbolism, numbers and meaning in the cards rather than pages of 'this card means this...' to learn by rote. It's not for everyone, but I rather liked it.

359703[/snapback]

The problem is Thinair, is that Crowley designed that deck, and to supercede the golden dawn derived deck from the marsielles tarot, throwing crowley out with the deck is a bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water, the extra (in fact they aren't extra but renamed) cards weren't thrown in on whim for the fun of it, but as part of a tangible, and living, albeit modern religieon.

xXx

Don't agree at all Naimh. The power of divination is stronger than its any one component :o_thwak:

A decent reader reads the person not the cards - the symbolism in anything will speak to the reader in the language they understand. I love the Thoth deck for the astrological symbolism, which I find a huge help.

I do also know quite a bit about Thelema, the GD, OTO and the history behind the deck. But even if I didn't, I don't think it'd make any difference to how accurately I read.

That's my understanding of the matter. I used to read both tarot and astrology as a side job and I'm as happy with a pack of playing cards as I am with Thoth or any other deck.

I'm usually very accurate (except when I've been drinking - in which case I speak unutterable twaddle and then tend to forget what I'm talking about or burst into tears and start singing old Irish ballads...)

So long as you’re happy with the medium you’ve chosen, it’ll talk to you.

• 3 weeks later...

There are books that come with decks, some are good and some not so, but i work alot with "Tarot for a new Generation" by Janine Renee ( all her books are good by the way) i find it good as it not only has the meaning of each card but also an interpretation of what the card would mean in a particular situation e.g. love, work, family etc

i also have "The Tarot Bible" by Sarah Bartlett, which has the meanings of the cards, some layouts etc