Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Starting Points - Some stepping stones

Guest Lorelei

Hello all,

So as the title implies I'm fairly new to this...although I have been interested in paganism in a very general sense on and off for the last 6 years or so now and I know feel in a position where I have the time and ability to dedicate to exploring this more and finding my own path.

At the moment I'm just about to start some general reading on paths in the form of Peter Jennings's book on the subject, but I would be grateful of any recommendations for other general books on paganism, especially ones that give a good overview of the pagan calendar and festivals.

In addition to this reading, I've done a little bit of online exploration and so far there are 3 things that have struck a cord in me that I could do with some help one. They are: the celtic tradition, hedge witchcraft and tarot. All of them fall into that category of things that strike a cord that never stops resonating but that I have no idea with where to go to take the next step. Any recommendations of literature on these topics.....or anything else really would be brilliant.

Thanks all!

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

For General Hedge Witchery, A Witch Alone, by Marian Green.

For Celtic Tradition The Celtic Seers Sourcebook, by John Matthews.

You might like to read Gods and Fighting Men (translated) by Lady Gregory

for the Irish Myths.

There are various translations of the Mabinogion if you want the Brythonic myths, and Mammoth (imprint) do a nice collection of Celtic myths from various sources.

For Tarot my personal recommendation is Dancing with the Juggler by Carolynn Townsend.

Hi Fred-in-the-Green,

Thanks for the reply and for the recommendations.

Can you recommend any particular edition of the translated Mabinogoin or are the all much of a much-ness when translated?

Also in terms of the hedge witchery, someone else has recommended Rae Beth's Hedge Witch: A Guide To Solitary Witchcraft - is it actually any good?

Also in terms of the hedge witchery, someone else has recommended Rae Beth's Hedge Witch: A Guide To Solitary Witchcraft - is it actually any good?

322198[/snapback]

It's not at all bad. Seemed to be very based in visualisation and trance work though, although it does have an overview of some festivals as you say you'd like. I read it a while ago at the same time as I was reading another of her books so they've kind of mixed in my head and I'm not sure if the one you mention is the one I'm talking about now! But they are very easy reads and good to be dipped into. Maybe sometimes a little on the twee side, but generally sound.

Although there's bound to be someone popping up telling you not to bother because she's terrible, that's what we're like here :unsure: . I'd say give her a go (your local library might have one of her books actually, mine does).

Horrible book.

Nah, only kidding.

I don't like books on spirituality but this one is the only one i actually liked. It gives all the festivals, meanings for each and covers most of the basic stuff you seem to want in a non-pretentious easy to read style.

Nice lady, nice book. But as pen says, a bit twee in parts.

Hi Fred-in-the-Green,

Thanks for the reply and for the recommendations.

Can you recommend any particular edition of the translated Mabinogoin or are the all much of a much-ness when translated?

322198[/snapback]

Rae Beth is great fun. But even if she wasn't, you should read her and make up your own mind.

Mabinogions much of a muchness? On the contrary, they vary widely/wildly in terms of the language they are presented in. Some are teeth-clenchingly archaic. Some are bland, some are arch and patronising. Get hold of some and try the prose. If you find one you can stand, take it. IMO, some are intolerable.

I'm not a good person to ask about the Brythonic tales. The Goedelic ones resonate with me and stay in my mind. The Brythonic ones drift away like conversations overheard at a bus-stop.

I would suggest you read anything and everything you can get your hands on. Don't worry if it gets bad reviews, don't worry if its labeled "fluffy crap", read it.

I've done my fair share of reading rubbish as I tried to find my way and I think it actually stands you in good stead. It gives you perspective. It also lets you see that you probably know more than you think because you'll find yourself thinking things like "that doesn't make sense" or "thats nonsense" or even "ooh now THAT connects with me" :)

It also allows you later on to filter and connect dots. My suggestion would be to go and have a look in the Bookworms. Go back over old threads where you will see books recommended for lots of things, oh.. and that is one more point actually.. there is not one book for one thing. Most of us have pulled knowledge together from many sources and it gives a far more rounded knowledge and understanding of the subject.

Definitely what Xalle says. I would also suggest you take the history often stated in beginner books with a pinch of salt. There's a bit of romantisim going on with pagan history, particularly the "Burning Times" and matriarchial societies.

And remember correspondences really do depend on your experiences, so take those lists as a starting point and build up your own over time.

Joxy.

My own favourites are the Gwyn and Thomas Jones version (in English) and the Rhiannon Ifans version (in Welsh)

If you're interested in Celtic issues then engaging with at least one of the languages will raise its head at some point...

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

My own favourites are the Gwyn and Thomas Jones version (in English) and the Rhiannon Ifans version (in Welsh)

If you're interested in Celtic issues then engaging with at least one of the languages will raise its head at some point...

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

322252[/snapback]

Just to come back to this, I invested in the Sinead Davis version of the Mabinogion today which looks like a pretty good copy. I may invest in at least one of the others you mentioned here at a later date.

I like the Gwyn and Thomas Jones translation. I can't read Welsh so I can't comment from that perspective, but my friend who is Welsh and speaks and reads Welsh, speaks very highly of the Sioned Davies version.

Frey

the pagan calendar and festivals
Which pagan calendar and festivals? :D

There's a THE calendar?

(I bet it's those Wiccans :P )

the pagan calendar and festivals
Which pagan calendar and festivals? :D

There's a THE calendar?

(I bet it's those Wiccans :P )

322924[/snapback]

I should've said the Celtic Wheel of the Year and it's festivals I guess, so bad semantics on my part I guess. Apologies for that....please don't ninja me to death just yet? :)