Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Magic Candles? - is there a beginners guide?

runwita

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not, sorry mods. :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good source of information for someone (me) who is interesting in the use of candles in such things are healing rituals, meditation,etc.

I have heard of different colour of candles having different properties but don't know much more than that. :)

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I found a very basic "for starters" article about it on the witchvox website a while ago when Alice was looking for help, but I can't find the link now.

Might be worth checking it out to see if it's still there.

I used Ray Bucklands book when I was learning.

On the occaisons when I do something, I often use a candle. I've never found the colour of the candle makes the slightest bit of difference tbh.

When I use them, I use them as a point of focus or sympathetically - ie, the energy of the candle burning relates to the energy of the spell (for example)

IMHO I would do what feels 'right' to do. Use the flames to focus your intent/thoughts etc and I have to agree with Esk, not found much difference in candle colour. I know there are many that would disagree with this.... :)

Edited by Theallknowing

If I sue a candle, I sometimes use a specific colour as a focus. If I want to do it that way, then I try to obtain solid colour candles. Most are white candles with an external wax coating of a colour, but candle stores will sell solid colour candles.

Mind, if I haven't got the colour already 'in stock', I'll use anything. It's just another tool. To me, other things are more important.

I wonder if the colour is just important for 'mood'. It's kind of hard to substitute a pink candle for a black one if one is just not in the mood to think pink. Maybe some seasonal stuff in there as well if someone 'walks that way'.

But then, I don't do things where the candle itself is what it's all about.

Marto

If I sue a candle, I sometimes use a specific colour as a focus. If I want to do it that way, then I try to obtain solid colour candles. Most are white candles with an external wax coating of a colour, but candle stores will sell solid colour candles.

Mind, if I haven't got the colour already 'in stock', I'll use anything. It's just another tool. To me, other things are more important.

322289[/snapback]

Yes. This is my approach, too. If I have a suitable colour then I'll likely use that, but frankly most of the time a white tea light will do the trick.

If I am performing more than one working at the same sort of time or within a relatively short space of time, I might surround each candle with a suitable herb/flower/bit of fabric or yarn/whatever - I don't think any of this is necessary to the success of what you're doing, but the symbolic differentiation can be useful in focusing your intent differently.

Excellent, thank you all for your replies. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the link Rainbow&Hillwitch :)

I'm usually of the "if it feels right, go with it" school of thought, but it never hurts to ask and learn a little.

Thanks again. :)

322289[/snapback]

Oh goody I'm glad I'm not the only one. I absolutely know it makes not one jot of difference, but I just wont use candles that are dipped with colour. I'd rather use plain white and be done with it.

These days I do bugger all in the way of magic, but even just for home use, I have nice ones with solid colour

I'm a candle snob lol.

On the occaisons when I do something, I often use a candle. I've never found the colour of the candle makes the slightest bit of difference tbh.

When I use them, I use them as a point of focus or sympathetically - ie, the energy of the candle burning relates to the energy of the spell (for example)

322278[/snapback]

me too actually, but I DO like a bit of colour so that is the reason I sometimes use the corresponding colour candles and other stuff

I'm a candle snob lol.

322376[/snapback]

:) I've never met a candle snob before :P

Edited by runwita

Has anybody heard about the reports that perfumed candles might increase your risk of getting cancer, or was I given completely dodgy information?

Can't remember where I was reading about it now.

But I love perfumed ones, I use them all the time, now I'm worried I've put myself at risk, or something.

So, did anybody hear anything, can you advise me, please?

Thanks.

Liz -x-

Never heard that one before, RM... I think that it's just another killjoy trying to make the world a duller place :P I'll carry on using my scented candles... every bloody thing gives you cancer these days, if I go I'm going in a nice smelling room :)

I agree with Jean... I usually use white tea lights, they are easily obtainable, burn fairly quickly and can be customised, too :)

This is whar Rainbow is talking about, yet another risk to our healths

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/6056323...scientists.html

322428[/snapback]

It doesn't surprise me hugely: there's been a bit of noise amongst bird owners, as birds are extra-sensitive to chemicals and can die if scented candles are burnt (or anything else which might be air polluting - incense, smoke, and non-stick cookware if it burns are t'other common offenders). Which is why I never use them and don't burn incense: it's not all types that are the problem, but there's not a particularly easy way to tell and it's not worth the risk.

But humans are a bit more resilient - I'd happily burn scented candles if it was just me and OH I had to worry about rather than the winged menaces that are currently trying to half-inch my breakfast crumpets :)

If I sue a candle,

322289[/snapback]

So you've sued candles more than once eh? What kind of candles are you doing business with you end up taking so many to court you actually become blase about it. :P :)

Thanks for the links, HillWitch.

I think the risk sounds minimal, for the amount of times I burn my candles, I doubt very much that I am at any real danger, especially as I always have a window open somewhere in the room, or burn the candle in the outdoors, anyway.

Don't think I'll be giving it up anytime soon, life is terminal anyway, might as well go out in a room that smells sweet. :D

It doesn't surprise me hugely: there's been a bit of noise amongst bird owners, as birds are extra-sensitive to chemicals and can die if scented candles are burnt

322455[/snapback]

I dont perform any rituals in an aviary, so I guess I can continue with candles...

ok doom-mongers, whats the next serious threat to our lives??

ok doom-mongers, whats the next serious threat to our lives??

322469[/snapback]

Living I reckon, that's sure as eggs is eggs to end in death. Gawd, it just makes me want to go and buy a big bunch of scented candles and burn them all in one go, just to they know I'm not paying them any attention!! And I don't even like scented candles :D

If I sue a candle,

322289[/snapback]

So you've sued candles more than once eh? What kind of candles are you doing business with you end up taking so many to court you actually become blase about it. :D :lol:

322462[/snapback]

Dammit, how come it's always one's speeling mestaks what get piked up? :D