Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

So Many Questions! - Where to start...

Guest Nelly

Perhaps I should tell you a little bit about me before I start with the questions. I have always felt a pull towards mother nature and paganism, and believe that I was a native american in a previous life, I am quiet a spiritual person and take an interest in all of these things and have often been told to explore my psychic side having had various experiences throughout my life.

I was christened as a baby and even went to Sunday school for a while although never felt the need to carry this on as I grew up. Perhaps I have come to a time in my life where I feel the need to follow this pull which is why I am here and have a million questions - my first being, what would make me a pagan? What would I need to do to 'change' faiths?

I have a LOT of reading to do (any guidance welcome!) and need to find my path, this is something that I would like to delve into and hope this is the right place.

Where do I start?!

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Perhaps I have come to a time in my life where I feel the need to follow this pull which is why I am here and have a million questions - my first being, what would make me a pagan?  What would I need to do to 'change' faiths? 

323366[/snapback]

The nice thing is that you don't need to do anything. Be yourself, believe what you've set out that you believe and boom, Pagan right there by the sounds of it! :D

You say you're feeling the pull so my only advice is to go with the pull, if it says light a candle and meditate go for it, if it says go into the woods and stick your face in the mud...hey, do that too (but take a towel).

As for reading, search for Pagan Pathways. That's not bad, can't remember who wrote it though, will check for you when I get home.

There's a couple of books with similar names. Pagan Pathways - A Complete Guide to the Ancient Earth Traditions by Graham Harvey and Charlotte Hardman. I haven't read this one myself, but a friend who has thought it was useful. The other is Pagan Paths: A Guide to Wicca, Druidry, Asatru, Shamanism and Other Pagan Practices by Pete Jennings. That one I have read and it does what it says on the tin - gives an overview/summary of each of the "main" pagan paths. It's a decent starting point and may give you some ideas for further reading and what draws you. You can get both through Amazon and a decent bookshop ought to be able to order them in.

Frey

Oops! Sorry I forgot to go and look up the authors. It's one of the books Freydis mentioned and it seems they both do much the same thing. I know Pagan Pathways (which is the one I have) is a set of essays written by practitioners of each particular path though. Not sure about the other but sounds worth a read.

Thanks Pen, I actually ordered the Pagan Paths: A guide... from Amazon last night, it has good reviews and seems like a good starting point for some reading.

If you feel some kinship with Native American ways, you might like to attend a Powwow. The biggest one in the UK takes place in Wiltshire in July each year.

If you feel some kinship with Native American ways, you might like to attend a Powwow.  The biggest one in the UK takes place in Wiltshire in July each year.

323889[/snapback]

Funny you should say that, I lived in America for a while and went to a few PowWows with a native american girl that I befriended out there. It was quite an overwhelming experience for me.

I didn't realise they held them in the UK, so thanks for that. I live in Hampshire so Wilts isn't so far away.