Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

This Is How I Feel...

Guest Nelly

...after having several discussion with my husband about paganism and how we both feel (the same, which is lucky), we have this urge to celebrate everything 'nature' including the seasons / wheel of the year.

My question is, would it be acceptable for us to attend gatherings without havinng yet stumbled on our chosen paths? We want to talk to people, in person, not just on the net, learn about the different paths (I have bought a book now so this will help) and become part of the pagan celebrations.

Views please!

:)

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be!

Of course it depends on what kind of gathering you mean, moots generally don't care if you've settled on your beliefs yet or not, neither do pagan camps. Open rituals are exactly that, open to anyone who will show a bit of respect to the proceedings but you may find that some groups prefer to keep their rituals closed to members of the group only.

The centre sections of Pagan Dawn and Pentacle magazines list events by area and they are generally open or give contact details for the organisers to arrange attendance. They are usually a good place to start from and both magazines are usually available from new-agey or witchy type shops.

The centre sections of Pagan Dawn and Pentacle magazines list events by area and they are generally open or give contact details for the organisers to arrange attendance. They are usually a good place to start from and both magazines are usually available from new-agey or witchy type shops.

324089[/snapback]

Ooo thanks for that - just joined the pagan federation and expecting a copy of Pagan Dawn to drop on my doormat at any time.

That was going to be my next question - how to find out about moots, the one I have found closest to me (via pagan fed website) seems to be slightly out of date and not particularly well attended from what I can read into it, although if I go slightly further afield we could probably find something.

Should also say thanks for the other posts, I can understand some groups not being open to everyone - you never know who might come along!

Good to hear that we can get stuck in - just need to find the right place now.

Ooo thanks for that - just joined the pagan federation and expecting a copy of Pagan Dawn to drop on my doormat at any time.

324099[/snapback]

Hmm, yes I did that a while ago....still waiting for my bloody magazine, I only joined because I like to have new reading material! :)

324099[/snapback]

Hmm, yes I did that a while ago....still waiting for my bloody magazine, I only joined because I like to have new reading material! :)

324109[/snapback]

Having just received my brand spanking new copy of Pagan Paths today, there is a little section in the back regarding magazines that you can request, it says 'be prepared for a less than instantanious response'.

This is clearly also the case with cyber-paganism (not this site I admit, great information found so far), having emailed numerous local people regarding moots.

I see a pattern forming, not that I'm surprised or particularly bothered by it, in fact it makes a change to not have to conform to the every day chaos that seems to be the norm these days.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I feel the 'pull' :lol:

• 3 months later...

Me again. Have been reading lots about Wicca as this seems to be where I'm heading right now. Looking into training and learning more, is it acceptable to be paying to learn the craft? I realise that these things take up peoples time and effort, what is or isn't acceptable as part of the learning process?

Me again.  Have been reading lots about Wicca as this seems to be where I'm heading right now.  Looking into training and learning more, is it acceptable to be paying to learn the craft?  I realise that these things take up peoples time and effort, what is or isn't acceptable as part of the learning process?

342125[/snapback]

I dont consider it acceptable except in a coffee/tea fund type thing. But I was wondering about where you are in Hampshire. I'm in Wilts but pretty near the border and I dont know if just meeting socially is what you are looking for, but I know there's a moot in Salisbury and I think one in Andover. I've not been to either but I know one of the women who goes to the Salisbury one from way back.

hmmmm Actually I'd forgotten all about Stella, might be nice to see her again after all these years. :lol:

Part of finding a path is going out and meeting other pagans... discussing and trying things on for size.

Internet and books etc can help, but as someones tag line says - keep and open mind but not so open that your brains fall out! :lol: :)

A lot of pagan camps and festivals are for all commers and will welcome most anyone as long as they stay legal and polite.

Moots, esspecally ones meeting in public / pubs tend to be open to new commers too. In my experiance they tend to include pagans of all flavours but cna be a bit clique-y.

Again depending on where you are in Hampshire I am just north in Berks (near Newbury) and I know an active moot meets in Reading twice a month (a sunday and a tuesday) with additianal bits and bobs like an annual camp thing or the group traviling to festivals. I personnaly don't attend but lurk on thier web listing... mostly due to family comitments and health.

PM if you want to know more...

Good luck in your seeking!

Be bright, be bold

Fillionous

Its exciting isn't it. All I would say is take your time and go with the flow. There really isn't any need to identify with a particular path straight away........ or ever if you don't want to. I'm sure you know this anyway, but I hope you and your hubby enjoy yourselves and have positive experiences.

Mike

Certainly, if you feel a leaning towards Wiccan-influenced religion, you'll find it a great deal easier to experience this through open rituals held by moots. Most of these kind of rituals are Wiccan-based, often very closely. There may also be druid open rituals.

it's a good deal more difficult for anyone wanting to try to experience rituals in any of the reconstructed pre-Christian religions, because (1) there's less of us, and (2) there are therefore less group rituals anywhere, let alone open rituals. But it is possible.

Anyway, good luck!

Personally, I wouldn't pay for training, but then I don't follow any path like wicca, druidry or heathenry never felt the urge to join any group although I have, in the past, experimented with various ideas and beliefs.

That was the best for me, and thats the big thing with paganism, there is no single path, or overarching dogma, so I'd say look around and try stuff out and when one seems to fit then thats the one for you.

hope that helps.

fizz

I dont consider it acceptable except in a coffee/tea fund type thing. But I was wondering about where you are in Hampshire. I'm in Wilts but pretty near the border and I dont know if just meeting socially is what you are looking for, but I know there's a moot in Salisbury and I think one in Andover. I've not been to either but I know one of the women who goes to the Salisbury one from way back.

hmmmm Actually I'd forgotten all about Stella, might be nice to see her again after all these years. :(

342128[/snapback]

I live in Basingstoke so have access to numerous areas really. I've found a moot in Winchester but am happy to go further afield to meet more people. Are you able to send me any info?

Thanks!