Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Ooops! - Guidance

Guest Talakot

Sorry!! I think I posted my thanks and request for guidance in the wrong place!!

If you wish to reply, please read my most recent post in introductions but answer through here!! Only been a resident 5 minutes and already cocking things up!!!

Talakot

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Sorry!! I think I posted my thanks and request for guidance in the wrong place!!

If you wish to reply, please read my most recent post in introductions but answer through here!! Only been a resident 5 minutes and already cocking things up!!!

Talakot

324743[/snapback]

Then you'll fit right in! :P

Marto

Due to my previous cock-up, I thought it best to re-post totally. Thanks for indulging my posting incompetencies!! I'll get it right eventually!!

Thank you for accepting my registration and further thanks to all who have welcomed me so far.

After wandering around the site, and others, it seems a regular question is 'which path?'

Although I do not feel the need for a specific label for my beliefs - I am many things- I accept that a name for it can help point us to specific readings and research. It is my intention to read as widely as possible on all things pagan, but I wonder if other members might at this early stage in my new journey offer their opinion as to what they think my path is, so as to help me prioritize my reading!

To that end, I would like to describe myself in slightly broader terms than on my initial introduction.

Firstly I believe magic(k) is in everything, not just in a god, goddess or their plural. I feel I have experienced this, not only in my professional work as a mental health nurse, but also in my other interactions with people and nature. I have tried to incorporate this into my work. My work found me, by means of an acquaintance who suggested nursing to me twice. I have not seen him since then, 18 years ago. I sometimes now describe my job as a 'signpost in the forest'. I have a deep interest in nature. As a boy I used to spend hours watching fish in a pond near my home. These days I love wild places and can even 'get lost' under the oak tree in my garden. I write poetry, which has been described by others as in the magical realism style. I do not feel the need for totems or symbols of my emerging beliefs, but I do have a jet black kidney shaped rock which I feel connects me to something 'other'. I love bluebells, which are significant in my concept of safety. I believe we are all ultimately connected to each other, and everything else. To harm any aspect of the universe ultimately harms ourselves and what comes after. In fact, I'm not sure there is an 'after'! So far I have read nothing more than posts on this and other sites. Any guidance as to what my path might be called by others, and reading material related would be graciously received.

Talakot (again!)

First off incoherent babblings are the norm around here so no need for the apologies and considering even us mods sometimes put topics in the wrong place I really wouldn't worry to much. We appreciate members having a good stab at where subjects should go, but ultimately, we can move them to the right places if we have to. :P :D

Now to path. I'm going to tell you something I guarantee you will find repeated here in this topic you have started and in the future as new folk join. Forget about path. Seriously. Unless a god has called you and said (as one of our members put it so beautifully) "I want you for a moonbeam" then your path is yours. You may in time find yourself drawn to a path. A predefined one.. like druidry, or wicca, or some such *glares at everyone in the room* (this is not now an opening for a debate on what pre-defined is the right pre-defined :P ) for now. I would suggest you relax into the fact that you do not have to have daily/weekly rituals, there is nothing you must do, nothing you should do.. its all up to you. I think being a pagan without a path can be quite zen. Go with that till life sends you otherwise.

Oh and just in case you are wondering.. most of us here are much like you. Pagan at heart and hand and names mean very little.

I've tidied the threads up a bit, Talakot. No offence intended - I just thought it might be easier for other members to read. :P

So we now have one thread in introductions, and one here. :P

Hiya Talkalot. :P

Firstly I believe magic(k) is in everything, not just in a god, goddess or their plural.

That sounds like it might be a pantheist perspective to me.

I feel I have experienced this, not only in my professional work as a mental health nurse, but also in my other interactions with people and nature. I have tried to incorporate this into my work. My work found me, by means of an acquaintance who suggested nursing to me twice. I have not seen him since then, 18 years ago. I sometimes now describe my job as a 'signpost in the forest'.

So something in 'healing' would possibly fit.... not exactly narrowing the field very much with that though. :P

I have a deep interest in nature. As a boy I used to spend hours watching fish in a pond near my home. These days I love wild places and can even 'get lost' under the oak tree in my garden.

That certainly fits an awful lot of Pagans and Pagan paths.

I write poetry, which has been described by others as in the magical realism style.

Bardic?

I do not feel the need for totems or symbols of my emerging beliefs, but I do have a jet black kidney shaped rock which I feel connects me to something 'other'.

That might or might not suggest something to do with Crystal healing. It might also represent a touchstone for you.

I love bluebells, which are significant in my concept of safety. I believe we are all ultimately connected to each other, and everything else. To harm any aspect of the universe ultimately harms ourselves and what comes after. In fact, I'm not sure there is an 'after'!

Yep, sounds like a Pagan thing to me. :D

So far I have read nothing more than posts on this and other sites.

The internet is as good a place as any to start. As long as you recognise that anything anyone writes... in print or on the internet will contain a fair amount of their personal perspective.... you're allowed to find stuff out and form your own perspective. :)

Any guidance as to what my path might be called by others, and reading material related would be graciously received.

There are quite a few books in print that might give you an overview of the most widely followed Pagan paths. There is also information on the Pagan Federation website concerning a variety of Pagan paths (with suggested reading lists accompanying them). This site is a veritable mine of information too. I'd be reluctant to suggest a path because, as Xalle intimated, your path is your own and it will evolve for you as is fitting.

Hope what I have written is of help though. :)

BB

Mike

Welcome. Are you Irish? I used to work in the field of mental health in the West Midlands, and every single CPN I had dealings with were Irish.....a lovely bunch. As for path, well what is a name?

Mike

Just two things. There is no 'one size fits all' path - you don't need a 'label', just go with who you are and what you feel.

Also, you do not need validation from others for what you believe and what moves you.

Actually, 'validation' , except in the form of some vague agreement based on others subjective experiences or ideas doesn't really mean much - it's what you find the best way to live that is important. Yourself and everyone are unique and can only share adjectives :lol:

Marto