Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
weatherwitch

Meditation For Beginners

Guest Herneoakshield

I'm just bumping this post up as I was trying to find it myself and thought some of the newer mermbers would appreciate it too.

Ad from Google

Guest 24thChild

Meditation is a very good way to relax from the stresses of life primarily from our working environments and also to keep your health bubble in good shape as stress can contribute to a number of problems such as high blood pressure, which has several knock on effects. I would suggest meditating either when you get home from work or before you go to bed and if needs be in the morning. Meditation when you get in from work will allow you to appreciate the free time you have with your friends or family a lot more than if you have unwanted baggage mulling around. Secondly meditation before bed will allow your body to appreciate sleep to the fullest and allow you to drift off as nature intended.

Guest thebanringwanderer

I love meditation, rhiana, I'm glad you posted this.

I would say though, if you use visualisation and travel a path in your imagination then return on the same path to ground yourself when you finish. I wouldn't make too big a deal about grounding, but a good meditation can sometimes leave me a bit dreamy and grounding helps me to return to the earth plane. I return through the same gate I left, or return to touch my special tree at the beginning of my meditation path.

Blessings

trw

Rhiana

I ground by breathing back into the earth and by eating and drinking - good advice - though its not a real bug bear be wary when tapping into energy it can drain and sometimes if inexperienced can leave you with a headache - kinda meditative brain freeze if you like!! :angry:

Guest Cailleachna

Would there be any objection if I showed this thread to my husband (a non-member and non-pagan) as he is a serious stress bunny sometimes and can never seem to quieten his mind long enough to meditate!

Pomona

Absolutely not from my point of view Hope he finds it useful. :lol:

Guest azriel

The only place that I can actually get any quiet in my house is in the bath , :) run a nice hot bath , turn off the lights and light a single candle , I watch the flame sway from side to side , jump up and down, and after a while I can put myself into a trance like state

I guess everyone has their own methods but I do like using candles , also use the candle and mirror as well

Guest seg

I am with you Azriel on this one i love to meditate in the bath with a candle falme in front of me to help me into a trance state i normal find it works and i know how long i have been in trance for by the warmth of the water (it's usually cold when i come around or ground)

I enjoy meditaing a lot and perhaps Rhiana you could give us some more tips and guidelines to aid our trance states as i am always open to new suggestions.

I often find i go into a light trace while driving along singing to a piece of music i have known for years and seem to be on auto pilot but when i realise this has happend i crap myself as i feel i wasn't in control of my driving or car but i really can't help it especially on lon journey's

I am always day dreaming too and wake up to find the phone ringing or door being knocked and i was in a world of my own.

Any idea's of how to avoid these light trances ?

BB sarah

Guest Vermilion

I heard, a while back, about something called (I think) web meditation...?

That's where instead of trying to block out the outside world you gradually try to bring it closer - first focus on the things you can hear, what are they? Try and isolate them. The what can you smell etc...

The eventual aim is a sort of connectedness with the universe I think.

I never actually tried this, but I wondered if anybody had and whether they found it helpful at all... or am I just making this all up?

x

M

Guest Blackie_Fen

You weren't imagining it! The Web Exercise is designed to sensitize you to the world around you and to the energy flows you encounter.

You start by ensuring that there is something around that can stimulate as many of your senses as possible; a lit candle, incence, gentle music, tactile fabric, and then, as you say, focus on each sense in turn. Concentrate on what you can feel, hear, see, smell, taste... As you move through the meditation you should begin to be aware of subtler sensations; drafts, background noise, individual notes in music and so on. Then (and it will take some practice to get to this point), as you become more and more sensitive, you will begin to discern energy flows and pulses around you - energies that you can work with, and also those which you need to keep under control within yourself.

Needless to say, it is essential to learn to ground yourself properly before trying anything with the potential to make you this hypersensitive...

Guest Vermilion
Needless to say, it is essential to learn to ground yourself properly before trying anything with the potential to make you this hypersensitive...

110081[/snapback]

Might be a good idea if someone did a linked thread on basics of grounding yourself then. Only thing I ever do is have a drink of water and shake myself a bit - like a wet dog!

x

M

Guest Blackie_Fen
Might be a good idea if someone did a linked thread on basics of grounding yourself then. 

110084[/snapback]

Try this one for starters:

Grounding, different methods

Another thing its worth remembering is that if you see something mentioned in a thread and wonder what it's about, the 'Search' function can be used to go through previous threads and find any information already posted on the subject...

Edited by Blackie_Fen

Guest Webwitch

When I was first trying to meditate (all those years ago ;) ) I could never master the mind techniques. The running commentaries, arguments, conversations that live in my head were too hard to quieten.

It was only when I tried a Walking Meditation that I was able to master the basics of focus, etc. Eventually, I was able to move on to the standard techniques, then parthworkings, then candle meditations and then energy work.

So, what is a walking meditation. Well, here it is:

Not all meditation involves emptying the mind, sometimes it is just about focussing it to the exclusion of everything else.

Whilst in a group learning various techniques over the course of a weekend, we formed a circle, but you obviously don't have to do that, and each of us kept walking around the room.

To start, as you are walking remember to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth in long, even breaths.

As you walk, slow down, and concetrate on the heel of your foot touching the ground (what the ground feels like, the pressure points on your foot), then slowly lower the rest of your foot, again taking notice of the sensations of the surface on which you are walking upon your foot, where the tension is in your foot, etc.

Once you have done this a few times, try to ascertain the exact moment when the foot in front takes over your body weight from the foot at the back, i.e. the shift in weight from back foot to front foot.

Take notice of the different pressure points and sensations as you release your weight from the back foot to the front foot, focussing on your rear foot.

Believe me, trying to find the point where you body weight shifts when walking along slows you down and you become very aware of your body in general.

If you think you've cracked when your body weight shifts, check the shifting point a few times and then as you are walking, see if you can find where your centre of gravity is and concetrate on finding when, and where your body is pulled forward.

Eventually, you will focus entirely on the walk and tune out everything else, albeit you will be vaguely aware of what is going on around you. You have just started to meditate.

There are plenty of walking meditations you can do and if you do a quick google, you will find more.

Cheers,

Webwitch :P

Guest MistyCat

This might be a strange question - but I'm going to ask it anyway! I'm quite lucky with mediation as even the first time I did it, I connected with a spirit.

I have noticed that each time, at the moment I make a connection, my eyelids although closed, flicker like mad. Its not me doing it deliberately. After a few moments of the connection being identified, they calm back down.

Has anyone else experienced this, or anything like it? Or is it a case that I am going mad?!!

Thanks

Guest Tas Mania
This might be a strange question - but I'm going to ask it anyway! I'm quite lucky with mediation as even the first time I did it, I connected with a spirit.

I have noticed that each time, at the moment I make a connection, my eyelids although closed, flicker like mad. Its not me doing it deliberately. After a few moments of the connection being identified, they calm back down.

Has anyone else experienced this, or anything like it? Or is it a case that I am going mad?!!

Thanks

164820[/snapback]

This sounds a bit like the sort of weird overall vibration you get with OBEs. Probably similar and just something peculiar to you, so I wouldn't worry too much! :o_bounce2:

Guest Natalie

Ive tried meditation a few times, my eyes also do this (although I havn't 'met' anyone yet.)

weatherwitch

Thanks

164820[/snapback]

It sounds like what happens in REM sleep. It could well be that your body is either deeply relaxed or I'm sorry to say, in sleep. Mediation can be very easy to fall asleep from! Which type of mediation do you use? :o_cat2:

Guest MistyCat

164820[/snapback]

It sounds like what happens in REM sleep. It could well be that your body is either deeply relaxed or I'm sorry to say, in sleep. Mediation can be very easy to fall asleep from! Which type of mediation do you use? :o_claps:

165585[/snapback]

I've only been taught one type of meditation, and thats meditation for spiritual awareness. This is what I was taught, and do;

Breath deeply three times, and on the fourth breath start to open up the Chakra's. Then start a journey across a field feeling the grass, the air etc. Get to a gate, go through the gate, see a cottage/house, absorb the atmosphere etc and after a while someone appears in the cottage doorway. One time they didn't, and it was only as I walked away from the cottage that they came behind me. After that I am told to take the same journey that I took coming into the cottage. Lastly, shut down the Chakras and ground myself.

I couldn't have been asleep as I was sitting straight upright on the floor?? One time I did this on my bed and I did fall asleep, I told the lady who taught me and she said I shouldn't do that as I can't bring myself out of it if I meet/find something not so nice there.

Could I have been asleep?? I don't think so but I'm no expert so open to experience and knowledge of those in the know!

Guest walessheeppink

:lol: I JUST LURVE THE MEDITATION MAN! <_<

weatherwitch
Could I have been asleep?? I don't think so but I'm no expert so open to experience and knowledge of those in the know!

165768[/snapback]

Sorry for the dealy in replying hon :o_wave:

It's hard to say really yet within a meditative state the mind moves from the Beta rhythm to almost that of the Delta rhythm or Alpha rhythm. In Alpha states the body relaxes as the parasympathetic nervous system predominates & the body & mind are totally relaxed. All meditations have the same effect if done correctly, and obviously when the mind is totally relaxed then you can fall asleep for a few seconds even. Meditation lowers blood pressure, lowers stress levels, lowers the levels of lactic acid in the blood, & boosts the immune system. You could be entering deeply into Delta & Alpha so as good as asleep if that makes sense? :lol:

Guest Vermilion

i think I need to stick a postit note to my toothbrush or something else I use regularly reminding me to meditate- does it get easier to in tegrate it into your everday life after a while...?

x

V

weatherwitch

It does, but you quickly sink into the mind frame again if you've fallen away from meditation. The most important thing is to be comfortable & free from distraction. So phones off and make sure you are in a position that won't cause you pain or discomfort because that distracts you from what you are doing anyway :lol:

Guest springwoods50

Thanks

164820[/snapback]

I find this a very interesting post. For a time I had some contact with South American religion. Sometimes you see there that a medium goes into a trance and contacts a spirit. As he does so, there are physical signs. For example, shivering and burbing. I had the chance to observe one particular medium over a long period, and these signs were often there.

Guest cesara
It sounds like what happens in REM sleep. It could well be that your body is either deeply relaxed or I'm sorry to say, in sleep. Mediation can be very easy to fall asleep from! Which type of mediation do you use? :angry:

165585[/snapback]

REM is actually between the first and second stages of sleep....

It goes:

REM

REM

etc

You continue that pattern all night long. (maybe 1, 2 or 4 or 5 times...everyone is different) [stage 4 is the 'sleep walking' stage just fyi...and you are in it for no longer than 20 minutes at a time]

I don't think it's impossible to enter REM sleep without hitting stages 2, 3 or 4 when you are meditating....definitely something of interest to research.

Guest cesara

And btw, this is a wonderful thread....very helpful! :angry:

Guest scotgroup
These are just some meditations from my files that I posted on the old site but thought I would share them here as well :D

When undertaking meditation you should sit or lie down somewhere that you won't be disturbed, so switch your mobile phones off, unplug the landline, lock your doors etc, and make sure you are comfortable. If you are meditating with a view to seeking answers or solutions then make sure you do not fall asleep ;) by making yourself not too comfy since you will be entering a relaxed state, however if the object is to relax then make yourself as comfy as possible. Some people prefer music on in the background, others silence. Do which ever you are happiest with :)

Fountain of Light Meditation.

You should be seated for this one :)

Imagine a stream of light flowing up your spine and leaving your body through the top of the head (or crown chakra if you work with that system). A few inches above your head the stream spreads out and myriads of droplets of light fall down, as though you have a fountain of light at the top of your head.

In certain mystic traditions it is thought that these droplets enter the body again at the base of the spine and this is how I tend to work this meditiation.

I like this one to relax and gently recharge the batteries as it were :)

4999[/snapback]

I haven't been here for a while, as I have had a few family problems which needed my full attention.

I have always found meditation very difficult as my mind is usually always busy. However, I have tried this and to be honest, I think its working. I tried it today and I was pleasantly surprised when I surfaced 20 minutes later. I cant describe the feeling... relaxed and kind of happy.

I am going to try this every day for a week and see if it makes a difference. It has also inspired me to try other exercises. :)

Guest CavSarge

Having studied Trans. Med., Martial arts and various Hypnosis

and Hindu techniques. the best way I've discovered is to

1-sit comfortably.

2-breathe in and out smoothly and slowly fully.

3-say your favorite word at the end of expulsion of breath (quietly).

4-when your head explodes in white light you're done.