Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Monica Soto
The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Guest silvergirl

What's An Empath? - Please explain...

Guest silvergirl

I've heard of "empathy" before, and there's a TV show I watch with a teenage empath who can enter other people's minds and create bulletproof forcefields. I'm guessing real empaths can't quite do that, lol.

But anyway, what are empaths exactly?

Ad from Google

Guest Nightcelt

Hi there :D

my interpretation of an empath is someone who can sense an other persons emotional state and with stronger empaths, residual energy from people or even an areas natural energy. like a emontinal fingerprint. Some can interfere with this energy and use it.

Some people are emotional generators. They will uncounciously magnify the emotional level of the area or person. Or there are emotional Vampires who feed off emotional states because they feel they need this energy to survive. School Bullies are a good example.

Have you met a person who made you smile and feel good because of just their personality? or a party friend who gets everyone in the mood for the night?

Most people can sense this energy to some degree. You just have to open yourself to others feelings. But becareful your not burned.

NC

P.S. Happy New Year (if you celebrate it)

Fortuna

Theres no such thing as an empath. They were invented by Star Trek. Empathy is the gaining of a deep awareness of the thoughts and feelings of another, and gaining a sense of that other persons joy, pain or whatever. It does not take strange powers, and has nothing to do with force fields or any such nonsense. It takes hard work, experience and even then it is hard to achieve.

mike

• Like 2

LadyCatCrimson
Theres no such thing as an empath.  They were invented by Star Trek.  Empathy is the gaining of a deep awareness of the thoughts and feelings of another, and gaining a sense of that other persons joy, pain or whatever.  It does not take strange powers, and has nothing to do with force fields or any such nonsense.  It takes hard work, experience and even then it is hard to achieve.

mike

43863[/snapback]

Whilst not condoning easy tags that have been cribbed from the tele, I don't see why we can't call someone who has a more highly tuned sensitivity to others emotions and thoughts an empath. You're right, its not about " strange powers " but it is about a natural ability which as Nightcelt suggests, we do all possess or have the capability for to some degree ; some more than others of course and there are those who can train this to a much higher level.

I don't claim to have bizarre superpowers or stop bullets or create forcefields but I would raise my hand and say yes, by some of the criteria already discussed and my own criteria. I am an empath. This does not mean I am some kind of infallible superpsychic blah blah blah. Its a curse and blessing mixed tbh. At 37 years old I still have not learnt to protect myself adequately from the negative aspects, although I am always in a constant state of working on that ^_^ The positive side is that I can use it to help people on a slightly different level, both by what I can feel from them and what I can project back.

Cosmic_Fool
Theres no such thing as an empath.  They were invented by Star Trek.  Empathy is the gaining of a deep awareness of the thoughts and feelings of another, and gaining a sense of that other persons joy, pain or whatever.  It does not take strange powers, and has nothing to do with force fields or any such nonsense.  It takes hard work, experience and even then it is hard to achieve.

mike

43863[/snapback]

While I would probably contest Star Trek as the source of the modern idea of an 'empath', seeing as the theory of empathy has a long history in itself, even if it were proven to be the case, what of it?

Science fiction has long been shown to predict the future, while mainly in the case of technology eg: satelites, TV, mobile phones, computers and robots, human development is also fair game, and while the parapsychic range of talents have not been scientifically proven they can not be said to be scientifically disproven either.

All 'normal' people possess a degree of empathy (the lack of which is the true definition of a psychopath) that some are more able to access this abitlity and perhaps to expand upon it should not be dismissed.

As Nightcelt points out there are plenty of people who can sap your emotions, just as others radiate a feeling of well being while others seem to get high on the ability to promote or provoke certain emotional states in others.

Just because the 'popular media' decides to jazz up a natural facet of human ability to ridiculous levels (forcefields ^_^ ) does not mean that the basis of said 'talent' is false.

Kev

Guest JuliaOakmoon
Whilst not condoning easy tags that have been cribbed from the tele, I don't see why we can't call someone who has a more highly tuned sensitivity to others emotions and thoughts an empath. You're right, its not about " strange powers " but it is about a natural ability which as Nightcelt suggests, we do all possess or have the capability for to some degree ; some more than others of course and there are those who can train this to a much higher level. 

I don't claim to have bizarre superpowers or stop bullets or create forcefields but I would raise my hand and say yes, by some of the criteria already discussed and my own criteria. I am an empath. This does not mean I am some kind of infallible superpsychic blah blah blah. Its a curse and blessing mixed tbh. At 37 years old I still have not learnt to protect myself adequately from the negative aspects, although I am always in a constant state of working on that ^_^ The positive side is that I can use it to help people on a slightly different level, both by what I can feel from them and what I can project back.

43868[/snapback]

I quite agree with you. I also have the ability to sense how people are feeling and am able to help them talk through problems or just provide a listening ear when they need it. I'm one of those people that complete strangers confide in and I hope that I make people feel well and happy - that's my aim anyway

I also have to protect myself from those who sap your energy or put out a lot of negativity because it can be draining. And I can be accused of being unsympathetic sometimes because I can sense when people are just attention seeking and don't have much patience with that

There are no special powers, just the ability to tune into people

Julia

LadyCatCrimson

And I can be accused of being unsympathetic sometimes because I can sense when people are just attention seeking and don't have much patience with that

There are no special powers, just the ability to tune into people

Julia

43909[/snapback]

Oh absolutely. And I thought I was just being an unsympathetic impatient so and so, :lol: But yes, it is really to do with reading between the lines so to speak ; sensing or feeling something beyond the surface of a person or situation. Anything like that good or bad whacks me straight in the centre of my solar plexus. And I loathe and detest crowds of any sort too, I feel so buffeted and drained after any contact with large numbers of people.

Guest Nightcelt

I don't know if this is true where each of you live. But have you noticed how many people around who were all very unhappy and feeling down for the New Year. None of them can tell me why they are unhappy. Do you this its because of the troubles in Asia or are they picking up on the emotional energy?

NC

Guest arianwen

Im not an expert Nightcelt but i think its a combination of things. Some studies have found that people tend to be a little more down at this time of year because the level of light is lower than at other times of the year, i think people have probably been picking up on emotional energy attatched to the troubles in Asia.

I myself happen to be very sensitive to other peoples feelings, so class myself as something of an empath. I believe as has been said here previously that everyone has the ability to develop this sense, its part of what makes us human, being able to pick up on how others are feeling, some people pick up more strongly than others but everyone can if they're open to the possibilities

I hope i havent waffled on too much there :o_roflmao:

Guest Nightcelt

thanks arianwen, and no you weren't waffling their all good points.

How much can you sense from people? I can pick up on alot but can't keep myself open for long because its a strain with all the energy. I tend to charge up like a battery with other peoples emotional energy. Very bad.

Guest JuliaOakmoon
Oh absolutely. And I thought I was just being an unsympathetic impatient so and so, :o_roflmao:  But yes, it is really to do with reading between the lines so to speak ; sensing or feeling something beyond the surface of a person or situation. Anything like that good or bad whacks me straight in the centre of my solar plexus. And I loathe and detest crowds of any sort too, I feel so buffeted and drained after any contact with large numbers of people.

43929[/snapback]

Oh, yeah, I can't stand crowds of people. My kids know that if we go shopping they've only got me in the Mall for two or three hours and then I'm running. I always have to sit by the door in a crowded room. I just had to leave the dinner table at a large family gathering as what feels like claustrophobia kicks in. There were no negative feelings, everyone was really happy, just a lot of stuff flying around and I had to excuse myself and go up to the bathroom

People are definitely down at the moment. I think it's a combination of the Asian earthquake and sometimes, at New Year, that feeling of "here we go again"

Julia

Guest Scathach

I agree with a lot of what has been said, energy flows constantly, and some of us are more sensitive to it than others. For those of us who can immediately feel anothers' pain it can be a great gift or a curse (and cities full of miserable people knock me for six LOL). The trick is to ensure our personal boundaries are in good shape (easier said than done). But I have found overall, that my ability to empathise is a blessing, and allows me to do my professional work effectively. At the end of the day, although it hurts like hell sometimes, I would rather be able to feel than not feel. For me that numbness is the worst feeling in the world.

Blessings

Scath

xx

Esk

Good topic, interesting replies so I thought I'd shift it here.

Guest thebanringwanderer

I also think that people who see (visualise) auras are empaths. They notice the energies given out by a person but instead of feeling the emotions, they see the emotions as colours. The aura reader does empathise with the person but can remain an observer.

Anybody see this? :)

Guest Nightcelt
I also think that people who see (visualise) auras are empaths.  They notice the energies given out by a person but instead of feeling the emotions, they see the emotions as colours.  The aura reader does empathise with the person but can remain an observer. 

Anybody see this? :lol:

44200[/snapback]

I don't know. I've know of someone who can see auras and she isn't empathic. She is quite the oposite of empathic at times and admits she can't sense others feelings. just the auras.

Fortuna

I think that developing the skill of empathy is well worth the time. It is useful in many situations, social and professional and really is vital (I feel) in effective healing.

I do have a problem with the term "empath". To me it implies some sort of strange gift, rather than developing a skill which most of us posess at some level. To use the term "an empath" will call to most people's mind Dianna Troy from star trek. Most non-pagans will view this as a claim to have her mysterious powers......even if that is not actually what is being claimed. What is wrong with simply saying that someone has good empathic skills?

True empathy is not a gift, or something that can be picked up. For a start how does one know they are truly feeling the feelings of others and not just feeling their own reactions to that other person?

I'm not just being a killjoy here. I have studied empathy for years whilst gaining a degree in counselling. True empathy is very hard to acheive and only happens occasionally (and can be exhausting and rather startling when it does).

It is not enough to be able to pick up moods, and how people are feeling to call oneself an "empath". Those of you who do have natural skills in this area.......and by the sounds of it there are a few......should maybe study it, and learn to master these skills. I really think many of you would find it extrememly rewarding and incredibly useful in any number of situations.

mike

Guest Herneoakshield

May I say its good to see you around Mike.

I don't describe myself as Empathic, although I can sense others moods and feelings but not to any geat extent, I know when Friends are upset or hurting without them needing to tell me, even when I am not with them.

I am sure we have all experianced the following: you walk into a room and can sense that the others in there have just had an argument, the air feels heavy and there is a tensness about it. Does that make us empathic. nope it just shows we are more intuen with the world around us. being able to feel friends feelings is an extension of that to me. yes it takes practice to achieve but. and as mike says how do we know that we are feeling their thoughts/emotions/pain etc, It could just be our own minds interpretation of that person.

Rhiana

Same as you Herne!!! Couldnt have put it better :)

Guest Dave

Welcome back Mike, nice to see you around again.

Empath eh, mmm,.

If that means "one having the ability to empathise" then I have little problem with the term other than that it is possibly yet another useless abreviation that the English language could probably do without.

If the term is refering however to a "special gift", outside of our normal abilities to empathise, something akin to telepathy, then maybe.

Many of us believe that telepathy may take place to some degree or other, this would just be an extension of that idea.

To say that "an Empath" in those terms is outside the bounds of possibility is surely to apply the same principle to the possible existence of telepathy.

We also have telepathy on the one hand and comprehension/ perception on the other. It could be argued that "telepathy" is normally combined with those other two human abilities.

Where telepathy is not at all reliant in combination with comprehension/perception then it might be said that this "pure telepathy" is in the catagory of being a "special gift".

Whether such telepathy or indeed empathy can exist to this degree is of course completely open to debate.

Personally I think that the human mind is capable of far more than we currently attribute to it and therefore prefer to maintain an open mind on the possibilities, an open mind that is, with what I consider to be healthy amount of caution.

Guest fuzi

Ooh, interesting topic. :)

I wouldn't say that I have any special gift, but I find it reasonably easy to 'read' others. For some unknown reason, random people open up to me. Always makes me laugh as I'm usually incapable of giving advice, so I'm probably one of the worst people to talk to ;) This did, however, cause problems for me as I wanted to help everyone I met. I had to set a limit of two degrees of seperation on those I helped - if the person wasn't connected to someone I cared about, then I would listen but no more. It helped restore my energy levels almost instantly.

I agree with you Mike (good to see you again :) ) that the term 'empath' does tend to bring images of Star Trek to people's minds, but the term 'witch' tends to make people think of green skin and warts. As a witch I have no skills that anyone else would be incapable of obtaining, some of them may come more easily to me than to others, and some I may find more difficult, but everyone is capable. Same with being an empath.

If a term conjures up a negative association for someone else, should we stop using it? As far as I'm concerned, no. If it's a logical name for something then it makes sense to use it. And let's face it, it's easier to say 'she's an empath' rather than 'her empathic skills are better than most peoples'. But that could be me being lazy.

On a side note, Star Trek actually had Black Holes on the programme before science had really worked out what they were or how they worked. Does that mean that they don't exist either? :)

Guest DarkCelticLion

Wassail

Just thought i would clear something up here. Empathy, in regards to that in star trek etc is actually clairsentience, one of the five psychic senses. And is the ability to feel emotions and energies around you, be they from people, animals or even the environment.

Star trek just simplified the term for the show and it seems to have stuck.

In Frith

Lion

Guest Dave

Then thank the gods that we live in the real world were empathy is an actual and very real human characteristic even alongside the possible link with telepathy.

Havn't we had the fantsy vs. reality discussion elsewhere?

We may not always be very good at displaying empathy, but one way or another; that's our choice.

Guest Ameniatha

Once again I have to agree with Dave...

As far as I know there are two types of empathy..regular empathy is like the one Dave mentioned.

Then there is Hyper empathy which is the ability to physically feel other peoples pain, happiness etc...this has also been called clairsentience...

Clairsentience is the ability to feel and interpret the feelings of others. This can be used to help aid people with emotional and spiritual blockages and issues, and in some instances can be used for helping to heal physical ailments. Reiki and other forms of energy healing rely on being able to feel the flow of energy in and around a patient. I personally have found Reiki attunements to be very therapeutic and healing, however as with all practices of this nature I recommend them to be used in conjunction with regular medical checkups/treatments.

Being an empath can be richly rewarding, but it can also have its downside. Some who are very sensitive may find that they inadvertently take on the emotions or symptoms of others. Being in large crowds, or around negative people etc. weighs very heavily on a strong empath. If this describes you, it is important to ask yourself where your feelings are coming from, particularly if you feel a particular emotion or physical symptom come on suddenly. If you are around a very anxious person, you may start to feel a lot of tension, or if you are around a very angry or depressed person, you may feel inexplicably low on energy, irritable, or sad.

It is important for empaths especially, to clear and balance the chakra system, and to guard themselves against the potential to have their energy drained. Some people are just energy zappers, and they don't realize they are doing it. This doesn't mean to remove yourself from your family or society of course :o_youpi:, merely to take certain precautions to ensure you don't lose your vitality.

With clairsentience/empathy, it can be difficult to find that balance. On one hand, you have to be able to take on feelings/symptoms from others to a certain extent, to be of help, but if you become so involved that you become affected negatively, that balance is lost and the end result is both parties end up suffering. Objectivity is difficult for empaths at times, but is absolutely essential. There is a place where you come to where you can remain empathetic but detached, and that is the goal to work for.

My advice to anyone who is strongly empathic is to take a course in Reiki. This can help you learn how to maintain that balance and use your abilities to heal both yourself and others.

Guest Themis690218

Merry meet, I think just having empathy is a normal human characteristic that we all have to a greater or lesser degree.

I think if you are too empathetic you can turn into sponge for people who really don't need your care.

On the other hand too little and you come over as callous and uncaring

Think Star Treks definition was something completely different.

Guest kaltia

I know this is an old thread, but I thought of something, the Access course I just did (Health Proefessions and Nursing) lists 'empathic' alongside, caring, good listener and organised etc as skills required of Nurses and Midwives. So, methinks empathy is not something strictly limited to the realms of TV Sci-Fi.

Guest arianwen

Nope it isnt - everyone has some degree of empathic ability - or so i believe it just depends on a persons ability to tune into this sense or understand it even.

personally ive discovered that my ability tends to come and go with emotions time of the month stage of the moon etc - wonder why?

but i think the degree to which you have this sense is also importace, some of the very very sensitive people could be, as mentioned earlier in the thread, clairsentient - but everyone has a different opinion - this is just my take on it

Guest Satanistwithwit

Everyone is a empath or whatever the term is used. It is advanced form of the senses, either by eye, ear, and also other forms, including feelings, emotions, and also your energies.

There is no science proof, but who cares. If you have that intuition, and feelings! Feel free to label it has empath. If people look at you in wrong way, who cares. You are what you are, and no one has no right in what you believe in!

We all different. Human beings are basically apes, we label ourselves from the animal kingdom, because we think we are best thing this Planet has had for many thousands of years. Strange, I do not think its Strange. The word "Human," is a invented word. If humans are civilized, we are all stupid. Anyhow, be a empath, its a free world!

If it helps you understand your path, so be it. Try to study it more on yourself, and if you got good solid system, good. Good luck on your hunting and research. Do not take any ones personnel view to heart, they either jealous or small minded. Welcome to your own spirituality.

Edited by Satanistwithwit

Guest Satanistwithwit

Do not confuse it with Hypersensitive people either. Empath is just manufactured name, nevertheless it short and sweet. It also explains it in simplified form.

Kind Regards

Finn Mac Morn

Theres no such thing as an empath. They were invented by Star Trek. Empathy is the gaining of a deep awareness of the thoughts and feelings of another, and gaining a sense of that other persons joy, pain or whatever. It does not take strange powers, and has nothing to do with force fields or any such nonsense. It takes hard work, experience and even then it is hard to achieve.

mike

^^^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^^^^