Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Guest silent_bob

Has Anyone Got This Book? - and what do you think of it.

Ad from Google

Guest Loony

Hi, I've noticed that too. Llewellyn is an american publishing company. I personally prefer british books as i feel their content is more accessible to me, but if like the look + sound of any book i get it, and try to translate words or customs to my own path. I find it really interesting to see differences + similarities with other countries. Also, I'm building up my own library of pagan type books but do have my favourites. ?maybe a grabbag is a pouch for stones or herbs,etc.?

Loony x

Guest hawkeye

A grab bag is an Americanisom for a preprepared contianer filled with items neccacery for the anticipated task(s) at hand .

If you are pregnant this will be very diffrent than if you are "on call" for emergency .

and again very diffrent if you are a survivelist , in which case it may even be an entire vehicle to get you to your "refuge" that is more than one tank of fuel away from a major conabation , {no were in UK}.

also known as a GOOD bag Get Out Of Dodge

P.S. sorry for spelling it's late, and english spelling is not my strong point

Moonhunter

Um, Llewellyn is usually viewed as a dodgy publisher i.e. it publishes any old rubbish. However, if you find something that suits you, it doesn't matter where it comes from. :lol:

For those of you new to paganism, you may not be aware yet that the vast majority of publications only present one form of paganism - that influenced by Wicca. If they don't then they'll generally go for OBOD-type druidry. The usual signifiers of both are (1) using a circle (2) calling quarters (3) celebrating eight festivals (the wheel of the year) that are cobbled together from various (mainly UK) Celtic customs. they may also tend towards a single god and goddess.

There are other forms of druidry, and many other pagan paths. :)

Vix

I got last years one as a present :) , it wasn't bad but it wasn't brilliant either. Ok for those just starting out, but like any book, read it digest it then put it away and do your own thing!

Guest Smeezle

I too got one given to me last year... or possibly the year before and I think it's ok I admit to leaving it in the bathroom so I could flick through it day by day. I don't remember anything that made me go "Wow!" but nothing that made me really want to flush it either. It was entertaining :) As has been mentioned, Llewellyn is an American publisher famous for publishing dross so it wont have correct dates for us in the UK, however in amongst the dross there is the occasional glint of gold so don't dismiss a book merely because it's published by Llewellyn :)

That said, I mostly used the book for inspiration and curiosity, the joy of seeing how other people do things :)

Fortuna

out of interest folks, how will American dates differ from ours?

Guest Animystic

346305[/snapback]

today is NOT palindrome day in the US :)

Fortuna

346305[/snapback]

today is NOT palindrome day in the US :)

346307[/snapback]

LOL point taken. My Dad insists on calling the 9/11 day 11/9.

Mike

Guest Smeezle

346305[/snapback]

The exact dates and times of planetary movements, full moon etc :)

Ember Autumn Rose

*reviving*

(Perhaps not the same kind of book, but similar and UK based rather than US.)

For the past two years I have bought "The Almanac: A Seasonal Guide to 20**" by Lia Leendertz and I really enjoy it. It doesn't really astrology/zodiac/planetary alignments at all... but that is more my cup of tea 😉 Instead, 2019's version contains the following:

• Small mention of the general religious festivals for the month
  • Etymology of month names
  • A tale for each month
  • Weather: types to expect; average daylight per day; average rainfall
  • Sun rise/set times
  • Moon rise/set times
  • Tide timetables
  • Moon phases
  • Meteor shower of the month
  • Things to look out for
  • (Garden) job of the month
  • (Garden) glut of the month