Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

I Hope This Is The Right Place

Guest silent_bob

;) begginer alert ;)

In a book I have it suggests getting a four pointed star and colouring it gold ...... etc etc then while putting your hand overit use your 'words of power'

1. a four pointed star? whassat? I thought it had 5

2. my words of power - i havent got any, do i have to write them?

They are just using phases and assuming I know what I am doing.

I smile because I have no idea what is going on. :D

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I smile because I have no idea what is going on.    ;)

345036[/snapback]

I have no idea either! ;)

I take the view that if it doesn't sit right or make sense then ignore it!! You have do what is right for you and often IME much is said that sounds grandiose and builds up egos!!

ED

(cynical moi?)

Good grief - who invented that one? It wasn't a Llewelyn book was it? ;)

Never heard of it. Not even when I was a Wiccan. And how can you use a 'word of power' (whatever that's supposed to be!) if no one has given you one? :D

I suggest you ignore it and find something that works for you. Find a symbol that means something to you, personally, if you want to do something personal. And think your own concepts of connection with whatever you care about, or revere, rather than artificial words (whether supposedly of power or anything else) that someone else has invented to sound grand.

Basically, keep it simple. Too many people invent rituals for the sake of ritual - and especially if their publisher has asked them to 'jazz it up a bit'! ;)

It wasn't a Llewelyn book was it? 

345042[/snapback]

OK i bought the rubbish book - but I had to buy something as the internet seems so confusing. ;)

345042[/snapback]

OK i bought the rubbish book - but I had to buy something as the internet seems so confusing. :o

345044[/snapback]

hey, I've done it too, when I was starting out. :P

Everything is confusing at first. But asking questions here is a safe place. Unlike all that rubbish out there on the internet. We've all taken in things early on that bring us out in hot sweats during the hours of insomnia if we dwell on them. :lol:

I'm afraid I can't think of any easy way to reduce the confusion of the internet for you. However, I might think of some easy rules (and I'm sure others can add to them!), such as:

- check a phrase on google and see how many identical hits come up (especially from sites with names including the words 'witch' or 'crystal' or 'dolphin'). The more hits, the less likely it is the information is worth anything.

- look at the other information on the same site. If they're selling something ( a course etc) it's probably safer to ignore the site until you're more experienced and can spot the sharks

- the more romantic the name chosen - of site or author - the less valuable the information :P

- the really good information takes a lot of finding. The best isn't on the net at all.

345042[/snapback]

OK i bought the rubbish book - but I had to buy something as the internet seems so confusing. :P

345044[/snapback]

Grasshopper, the first step to realisation is the buying of rubbish books :P

The second step is recognising them as rubbish :P

the third is being faced with the quandary "Do I sell them on and make my money back, or can I live with the shame of foisting this shit onto someone else" :lol: :o

- check a phrase on google and see how many identical hits come up (especially from sites with names including the words 'witch' or 'crystal' or 'dolphin'). The more hits, the less likely it is the information is worth anything.

345047[/snapback]

I feel a game coming on

<list of adjective> <list of nouns> of the <list of adjectives> <list of nouns/locations>

and we have an automatic book name generator... things like

Dancing Unicorn of the Rainbow Moon

Weeping Dolphins of the Ethereal City

:lol: :o

345042[/snapback]

OK i bought the rubbish book - but I had to buy something as the internet seems so confusing. :o

345044[/snapback]

The second step is recognising them as rubbish ;)

the third is being faced with the quandary "Do I sell them on and make my money back, or can I live with the shame of foisting this shit onto someone else" :o :P

345050[/snapback]

I wonder if there is a 'for sale' forum on here :P

i guess ebay is calling :lol:

my real problem is my ablility to read. I have a low reading age (11.5) inspite of living in 5 decades. I have read and write gold on my computer and can listen to anything on my computer but the internet is so full of bull (especially if there is a quick buck to be made) I gave up researching pagan/wiccan 'stuff'. This forum was suggested as a nice place to go when I posted on another forum 'I think i want to know more about wicca / pagan stuff'

has anyone got any book suggestions that are not too hard to read that are not a load of trash? my reading level finds harry potter a challenge. :P

You know, paganism can be studied in many ways, not all of which need you to be able to read complicated things. You might not be great at reading books, but you might be good at reading nature or cycles or divination. Remember, of all the pagans who ever lived throughout history only the smallest fraction could even read at all! Why not follow a path which does not involve reading about things which have only been made up by people who are no more expert than you? In other words why not concentrate on your own observations, thoughts and feelings rather than strange rituals which might not get you anywhere? Just and idea.

There are many pagans who go through the whole ritual thing and then later decide it is not for them and go for something simpler. Maybe you could do it the other way round and cut straight to the non-ritual way of doing things.

Mike

Take it slow and look back at the reviews here on UKP. Then Ask Ask Ask right here. Just don't expect complete agreement!

Like many, I started out with Witch Alone by Marion Green. isbn 1-85538-122-5

Its sensible, its gentle and you don't have to want to be a Witch. I dip in regularly even though my way isn't Wiccan or Craft. Just thumbing through - a little on the Circle of the year. A little on Divining / dowsing. A little on plants and herbs. A little on Sacred places. A bit on Sun and Moon cycles. All very practical. A bit on healing.

Play around and enjoy. I have a wierd shaped stone that I use for making my mind up. I prefer to use a circle or spiral rather than a pentacle - all stuff I made up for my self [or was given] over thirty years of buggering about on my own.

I do not know any very basic Heathen books and I would be interested for myself!

Edited [ :lol: of course] - to add - its easy to read too The only negative is that the writing is a bit small.

Edited by Moonsmith

aye, Mike talks horse-sense (sorry Mike :lol: )... most all of what I'm happy about now never came out of books (and over the years I've read a lot of books), but came out of chewin' the fat with good folk like these, decent folk with open but critical minds...

Problem with even the best of books is that a few years later someone comes along and says "Nope, that was all crap"

heh... some of the most fun I've had with magic (for example) was making up my own systems based upon the sort of things Michael Moorcock had his characters doing in his books...

Edited by Animystic

a good place to start would be pete jennings pagan paths and i believe he has done one called heathen paths. really good, down to earth. none of yer fluffy stuff.

Hi Silent Bob,

I completely agree with a lot of what everyone has said so far.

Remember rituals etc in books can just be used as a guide - somewhere for you to get ideas from, to create your own methods of doing things. Keep it as simple as you like! The most "powerful" thing you can ever do is your own work.

Don't worry about buying a book you don't get on with - finding out what doesn't work for you is just as important as finding what does work for you. Although I love reading in general, I don't really get on with pagan books or websites at all - it's too much of one person's opinion.

Good luck :lol:

345042[/snapback]

345044[/snapback]

The second step is recognising them as rubbish ;)

the third is being faced with the quandary "Do I sell them on and make my money back, or can I live with the shame of foisting this shit onto someone else" :P B)

345050[/snapback]

Yup, been there bought the rubbish book, infact I still have it somewhere, you dont wanna buy it do you?

Words of power, weirdly enough I have heard that term before but Im not sure where, I think they meen some kind of mantra or something you use to charge and ground your self, could be wrong though. As for the 4 pointed star yes I do know what that is, its a square.. :)

LIke Fortuna said yesterday technicaly you dont need books or anything for that matter to pracice Wicca/Witchcraft but yes I know they do help.

I too would go for Witch Alone by Marion Green. You could also try your local library so youcan at least try the book to see if it makes any sence to you and your path before you spend money on it..

LIke Fortuna said yesterday technicaly you dont need books or anything for that matter to pracice Wicca/Witchcraft but yes I know they do help.

345152[/snapback]

and - just for the sake of clarity - Wicca and witchcraft are two entirely different things. :)

Even the rubbish books can have value. There might be something in there that feels right for you, or it might lead you on to something else, at the very least this one has led you to ask this question.

As for Words Of Power, the words themselves don't have any power, you give them power. If the words don't mean anything to you, you may as well be reciting the names of the teletubbies for all the good they'll do.

As for Words Of Power, the words themselves don't have any power, you give them power. If the words don't mean anything to you, you may as well be reciting the names of the teletubbies for all the good they'll do.

345155[/snapback]

Dang, I feel a thread coming on... I'm fairly sure that isn't entirely true, for a number of reasons (though I would have to substitute "lettered/structured sound" for "words" to develop my argument)

I wouldn't worry about whether the books are considered rubbish or not. As long as you read with a "does this feel right to me?" attitude and not just taking on board everything as gospel truth, you'll be fine. Learning about what isn't for you is as useful as finding out what is and you never know, sometimes even just a sentence or paragraph can trigger something... I had an epiphany flicking through Starhawk this week and I know her books aren't held in high regard around here.

Then put the book down and go and sit on a hill. Or in a wood. Or on a hill in a wood. Or a riverbank. Or a beach. What do you *feel*?

It's not like following a religion where a book or a person or an institution will tell you what to believe and what to do. You get to find your own way, which is both a challenge, and a joy :D .

I have read and write gold on my computer and can listen to anything on my computer but the internet is so full of bull (especially if there is a quick buck to be made)  I gave up researching pagan/wiccan 'stuff'. This forum was suggested as a nice place to go when I posted on another forum 'I think i want to know more about wicca / pagan stuff'

has anyone got any book suggestions that are not too hard to read that are not a load of trash? my reading level finds harry potter a challenge. ;)

345057[/snapback]

Not sure if this will help but when I got my Read and Write Gold they showed me a function where it would scan the text from a page and then convert it so it could read it out to you. I think it was only in the PC version though so was no good for my mac. If it can do that, and you have a scanner you would be able to access any book, even if it took a while to scan it all in :blink: ooooo - this is my 100th post - lol, only took me 6 years!

Edited by Isil

Can I just ask what read and write gold is. 

345329[/snapback]

Mike, it's a program that reads aloud what's on the monitor. We use a similar program at work for anyone with eyesight problems. This is the first time I've come across using one for peeps with other reading difficulties, and I think it's a great idea. ;)

"Do I sell them on and make my money back, or can I live with the shame of foisting this shit onto someone else" :lol:  :lol:

345050[/snapback]

I still have my old copy of Scott Cunningham's "Wicca: A guide for the solitary practitioner" for this exact reason!

"Do I sell them on and make my money back, or can I live with the shame of foisting this shit onto someone else" :o_devil:  :)

345050[/snapback]

I still have my old copy of Scott Cunningham's "Wicca: A guide for the solitary practitioner" for this exact reason!

345575[/snapback]

heh heh... an alternative strategy, and one I used with Mutant Message Down Under: A Woman's Journey into Dreamtime Australia, by Marlo Morgan... a steaming pile of exploitative and patronising excrement if ever there was one... is to announce through a newsgroup of people with similar interests that you intend to pass the book along for free, including paying the postage, to anyone who had considered reading it, with the geis that they take on oath to do the same and place anyone they forward the book to under the same oath with an explanation as to the reasons... one can then consider each successful forward of the book a denial of a sale to the evil doer :) 'tis a small but satisfying thing :lol: