Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Rewriting My Bos - old page recycling?

Guest Noscere

To get to the point my Book of Shadows is getting on to be about 15+ years old, some of the pages are dog eared and stained while other pages have words on them that are bearly readable because the ink I used has faided.

I have taken it upon my self to re write some of my spells and rituals, mainly the old an =d warn out ones or the ones that are on badly damaged pages. I am lucky in the fact that when I started my BoS I used a ring binder file to keep my notes and pages in so the pages are easily replaced.

My question is what do I do with the pages I am replacing? I dont want to just throw them in the bin and Im not ging to shred them as they have searved me well. So what do you do with old and broken tools?

I have thought about burrying them or making a small fire and let the elementals take the pages back.

Any ideas?

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

No! That would be like burning photographs. Surely they don't take up much room and presumably they provide a record of the journey you have taken over the past fifteen years, and of how your thoughts and beliefs have evolved. I also suspect you have poured a lot of thought into its writing. Unless it is something you are ashamed of in some way keep it somewhere. As for the elementals, let them write their own book.

I can throw away broken tools, but old ones which I have got to know and have shaped with my hands.......... never.

Mike

Given that you are copying out the battered pages and these copies will take the place of the battered faded pages. As long as they are faithful copies (no sudden new additions / improvments) I see no problem in 'disposing' of the old worn out paper.

Lots of 'holy' books were thus copied and pages replaced in rebinding so that the over all tome survived.

I guess you can do one of a few things... you could put all the old pages in a envalope and store them as a sort of appendix at the end of the Bos if you don't want to directly dispose of them.

Flat pieces of paper actually take quite a while to rot if burried, thus I might be tempted to compost them and then use the compost to grow magical herbs...

or prehaps pulp the paper and make new pages for your book or some magical tool with the paper mache...

I think I would not want to burn them... that hints too much for me at book buring and all the bad conitations of that...

Just thoughts

Be bright, be bold

Fillionous

Oh I see. I envisaged your old pages covered with notes, changes and crossings out. If not, I agree with Fillionous. If they do have musings and re-workings, then they are worth keeping.

Mike

I could try and quote everyone but im not going to ;) . Instead I will just thank everyone for their advice. Like Fortuna advised I am going to re write the battered pages and the pages were I cant read the text, I am going to put a page protecter in the back of my BoS which will hold all the pages and notes I have re done.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Ellinas
      As I have said before, I knew on another forum, and maintain an occasional contact with even now, a person who was known to see himself as a Christian witch.  Pagan?  Well he was on a pagan forum and fitted in very well, and his concept of deity was not such as would be safely mentioned in many a Christian gathering.   Us lot, learned?  More like Moonsmith's favoured image of the "old farts" on a park bench.  If the concepts have no use to you, I'd leave them be - otherwise you are in danger of joining the realm of "Old Fartdom"
    • Moonsmith
      Up to you Nettle but I wouldn’t bother if I were in your place.  I think that your approach to your beliefs is where it needs to be right now.  This thread will move on and fade away.  I’ve done research because I give talks on belief and need to know from which end of my food tube I’m talking.  There are always Pagans in the audience who know their stuff.     What we believe is what we really believe - that might be as good a definition of Paganism as any.  There is no “truth” except our own.  Share what you will but never let it be a chore. I’m here in the Valley coz it’s fun😄
    • Nettle
      I am not as learned as most here when it comes to paganism and even religion.    Hence why I do not usually get involved in such discussions. It’s not that I don’t see value in someone analysing their belief system and tagging the most appropriate label. It’s just for me it’s not that important.    I don’t know what I am, and to be honest I am not really concerned. Yeah it assists in communication but it is not that important to me.    At one time I know I understood the meanings of polytheism/monotheism/atheism etc but I have forgotten what they mean. They have not stuck. And as such they are not required for me to engage with my path.   Lol I am getting older now and so find I have to purge information to allow for more information to be stored! Basically I empty my cup, keep what is useful to me and discard (“forget”) the rest.   However I will endeavour to reacquaint myself with such concepts as they seem to be important to other members here and so may be worth more investigating and gaining different perspective. 
    • Moonsmith
      I agree SH!  Some Irish, Polish and Hispanic versions of Catholicism (Inc. some of their priests) are very like Polytheistic Paganism.  Once Catholicism meets Voodun you’d be hard put to create a definition that divided the practice Catholicism from Paganism.  That said, the Christians in question would object to being called Pagan as I suspect a Voodunista might object to being called Christian but I don’t know that.  I’d keep definitions of religion well away from definitions of Paganism.  I certainly don’t have a religion and I’m Pagan.  The original use of the word Pagani - (those who lived out on the pagus; outside of citified civilisation = rustic) - distinguished between formal Roman polytheists who would be offended at being referred to as Pagani and the rustics who wouldn’t. I wonder if you can be Pagan and not know it?  Is it behaviour related rather than belief based?
    • Stonehugger
      Is it that kind of word though? Where would one find an authority about what it was formally meant to comprise? A dictionary will say how the word is used in practice, so that's not prescriptive enough. An act of parliament? A contract? Speaking in my capacity as humpty dumpty, I could use it to mean something that's not like Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc. It's a statement of difference but also perhaps of exclusion. I've never been a Roman Catholic but I imagine their attitude to the Virgin Mary could be a bit borderline-pagan sometimes, so I could therefore imagine a vicar advising someone that their understanding is "a bit too pagan for comfort."