Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Teachers. - not the school kind

Guest Sigridr

there is so much information on the interwebs, in books etc its hard to keep track and know whats good and whats bad. Many of us have had people teach us paths and ways, many of us have walked the road completely solo.

what im trying to say is if you've had a teacher, do you feel more confident in your practices and ways? I am trying to learn everything myself, and to be honest feeling like im just playing at paganism. I suppose it would help if i actually had -met- another pagan.

thoughts? opinion?

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

mmm...know what you mean, I do very little outwardly to show my paganism. Theres no church, or nationally recognised festivals either, which can lead to me feeling as though i am not a proper pagan (cos there ain't no equivalent - other than what we choose to follow ourselves).

I don't quite know how I have managed to overcome it, probably a great deal of thought and discussion. I also think though that I have come to see my 'faith' as a private thing, nothing to do with anyone else. and I quite like it that way too. although I think i would miss the company of my bf who is also a pagan (we kind of decided together).

I've learned to get over the congregation thing too...

fizz

I am trying to learn everything myself, and to be honest feeling like im just playing at paganism. I suppose it would help if i actually had -met- another pagan.

thoughts? opinion?

345642[/snapback]

I am doing most things for myself -which includes reading. I certainly do not feel as if I'm playing with it. :) even though I AM having fun with it. Your interview seems to show you doing some good stuff. Do you enjoy it?

Just looking around at the claims of some Pagan authors [and some Pagans :D ] gives me the confidence that what I have taught myself is sufficient. In my belief there is no one truth, there isn't a right way to do it and there isn't anyone who will be offended if I get it unintentionally wrong.

I was originally told "That my teacher would find me". Well the bugger didn't turn up so I got on with the job myself. Am I on the right track? Well all I can say is that the world makes sense from where I now stand and I have an outlet for my absolute gobsmacked wonder at the world.

Like you I had never knowingly met a Pagan for the thirty years following my decision that I was one. I didn't really even know what one was - except that I was. Trust yourself! oh and UKP of course.

Yes - If you CAN find a group that you get on with [sorry - maybe a group 51% of whom you get on with - for example - A group of Druids is called a "Disagreement" ]

Trust yourself! Trust the Divine whatever you believe or don't believe that to be!

There have been times when I've had teachers, 3 over the past 30 years, and times when I've bimbled about solo in between, and other times when I've stepped back from paganism altogether.

I'm an omnivorous reader whether under instruction or not however. So the main difference, for me, has been having someone on hand to turn to when something crops up. I can ask what they think, and either accept it as gospel; or what's more likely, just as when I'm flying solo, balance their opinion with my own and others.

One of the great things about UKP is that you get a full range of opinions on so many topics. Some you may agree with, some may challenge the way you see things. But there are some very knowledgeable folks on here who are happy to share what they have, and you have my respect and thanks.

I think it can help to have a teacher. You can judge them as well as what they are telling you, and they usually talk from personal experience, which may make them more reliable than books and the internet. On, the other hand, it can be a lot more awkward if you decide that they're full of shit and you can't take any more. :blink:

thanks for your replies. moonsmith - i am enjoying it and when i do things, it feels right, and i think thats whats important - that it feels right.

i still get the playing at paganism sometimes, but ive had a few slaps over the head and gentle tutting so i think im ok.

this is where forums such as ukp come in handy. we can air concerns/thoughts/ideas and get a lot of feedback. we're all each others teachers.

this is where forums such as ukp come in handy. we can air concerns/thoughts/ideas and get a lot of feedback. we're all each others teachers.

345743[/snapback]

This is exactly how I regard the valley - we are all each others teachers...

Being solitery I have never had a teacher in the sence of another human to work with talk to learn from... I have never been in any group, circle, coven, moot, blot etc... well not to learn the pagan soc at university was very much the blind leading the blind and definitly falling in the ditch... usually through alcahol! :blink: :unsure:

The valley gives me an outlet for my thoguths, cahllenges my thinking and answers questions - sometimes that I did not even know I should be asking or could be asked...

I think seeking is the thing...

Be bright, be bold

Fillionous

Dear Sigridr,

what im trying to say is if you've had a teacher, do you feel more confident in your practices and ways?  I am trying to learn everything myself, and to be honest feeling like im just playing at paganism. I suppose it would help if i actually had -met- another pagan.

thoughts? opinion?

345642[/snapback]

I don't know if 'confident' is the word I'd use but I certainly believe I benefit from having a teacher - or two of them in my case.

'Teacher' perhaps needs to be interpreted pretty broadly, as I don't think that Paganism can be taught in anything ressembling an academic, structured knowledge + application, sense. It needs to be learned and a good teacher can help with that, if the relationship between you is right. Such a teacher may well start off as someone who gives you a fair amount of structured knowledge and discusses it with you. Over time, the relationship will likely become more of a mentoring one, where example and advice as required replace 'teaching'. Eventually, it may settle down into a deep friendship with someone who's become more of an elder sibling.

Where it's working well, the relationship won't be a static one. Your teacher will be learning as you learn, and the whole business of putting people on pedestals or demanding respect as an authority figure really just gets in the way. While it may involve some structured knowledge, the heart of this approach isn't about being told things and remembering them. It's about being guided into particular kinds of experience within which you can learn for yourself. Sometimes too much explanation, too much structured knowledge, can actually get in the way. It can shift the focus away from the path and onto another person's descruption of it.

Good teachers will be very open about the fact that they do not know everything, even about their own path. Over the years you may well notice them shift their positions or adapt their views on somethings. That's not a flaw, it's a sign that they learn from experience and that's a very good example to be set. It's always a bit tragic to see someone who may well know, or have known, something of value. Who may well have , or have had, a fair bit of talent, become trapped by their own sense of themselves as an authority figure, unable to learn or make progress any more because they daren't let others see they' don't already know it all.

A good teacher needs to be someone you respect and trust, not because you've heard others speak of them in that way (though it's a good preliminary) but because that's how you genuinely feel about them after you've got to know them really well. OK, in that way confidence does come into it because earning the respect of someone you look up to is almost inevitably going to increase confidence. But the real source of your confidence should come from your own development and not from what others tell you. The relationship itself, and some of the things it makes possible, may well turn out to be among the most valuable things you ever learn even if these things can't be articulated. A great deal of Paganism is, after all, about developing relationships and living in awareness of connections.

A good teacher will encourage you to think, and learn, and dare, for yourself. They won't try to make you into a copy of themselves. They'll encourage you to grow in your own way as they grew, and continue to grow, in theirs. You may be drawn to them because you see them as having more knowledge, experience and wisdom than you do, but if things go well they'll stick at it because they see in you the possibility of an equal. Even if you'll never quite believe that.

It's hard to quantify teaching in this sort of context. Someone who shows you a whole library of boxfiles may have much less to teach than someone who, once in your life, helps you enter into a few hours of mystical experience, helps you find your way back again, and helps you come into your own sense of what that was about.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that everyone needs, or would benefit from, a teacher. We're all at least a bit different and what works well for one person may be wholly unsuited to another. I've been blessed in my teachers and twentysix years down the line still reckon them among the very finest human beings I've ever met. But in general I think learning from other people is not an alternative to learning for yourself. It's something that helps you to learn for yourself in relationship with others, and it's hard to imagine a life that does not involve relationships with others

BB,

John Macintyre

Edited by JohnMacintyre

I personally think i would benifit greatly from a teacher/mentor/experienced peer,whatever you wish to call them.As i have mentioned in my introduction i'm a recent convert from a drug problem which has left me with no short term memory so reading and remembering are very difficult, but i do still take in stuff when i'm shown (actions speak louder than words etc)Though i'm well aware the path i should follow should be my own, but it would be nice to converse and share experiences with someone

thanks for your replies. moonsmith - i am enjoying it and when i do things, it feels right, and i think thats whats important - that it feels right.

345743[/snapback]

Way to go Sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done. What you teach yourself is every bit as valid as anything that anyone else believes that they know! There is no right way; there is no single truth.

There is nothing more democratic than Paganism!

There is however a weeeeeeeee problem. When you've worked something out for yourself, laughed at yourself and enjoyed what you are doing; when you've fallen into the holes and climbed out all by yourself; when you've scraped off the shit and enjoyed the cleansing stream; when you finally understand why it happened, then you start to gain that confidence that you seek. Its quite a confidence! You'll find that you don't take shit! [in all humility]

I just laugh with the wind along my path and if I meet someone on that path - chat a while then think a while. Only then might I take on what is palatable and try it for size. As I've said to several OBODies - I'm far too old for homework!

Travel well

Travel safe

• 4 weeks later...

I had a semi-sort of teacher once: a lovely person from this website none the less emailing me a few times a week just talking through beliefs and practises.

If im completely honest because her beliefs were more advanced than mine i found it a little hard going and Ive learnt much more just reading and learning from all the comments on here.

Not that I'm all that experienced yet enough to supply amazingly helpful advice but what I think might be helpful is finding someone who is at the rough same point as you- and learn together?

I know that defeats the point of a teacher but I think it would be helpful :unsure: :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose the term 'teacher' all depends on the path you are inclined to follow.

I personally, tend to believe that life itself is the best teacher. People come and go in life and each of them probably have something to 'teach' depending on how you view their influence.

I realise this easy for me to say, given that I don't follow any particular path - I just tend to go with my gut feeling in most situations. There have been times when I've wondered about certain things and life usually throws up answers in the strangest ways or someone will just kind of enter my life at the right time! The old right time, right place senario I suppose :)

Barn

• 1 year later...

I think there is a saying that goes something like " when the time is right the " teacher" does appear " . I know it was very much this way for myself speaking personally . Up untill I met them I was just a whole, confused but wanting to know , to grow , to aquire knowledge and understand , whatever it was that " Me " . I had experiances but not the words or " labels " ( I know we dont like that word ) , definitions , titles for , names of , things , feelings , visions , and explanations for . Up untill then basically I was a mess and fighting like a bitch against something that was just so intrinsic and vital to who I was and where and who I'd come from , its no wonder I'm still here today .

Anyway they gave me explanations and names for things that I already knew , even sometimes explaining something and I'd go " Ahh yes I know about that"or " is that the same as " and reem off all the details and explanations about the subject whilst being in complete newbieness ( not even sure if thats a word !! Lol ) of the topic in its academic sense but having a " knowing " inside that was just part of who I am .

Teachers appear and leave once the lesson has been learnt ,and then new ones appear and sometimes you find out that whereas you thought you had much to learn from them - they learn far more from you . My path has taught me that I'm always evolving and growing -there is always more to know and a natural progresion- and then occasionally you look back and see how far you've come and grown and your not the newbie in some subjects anymore .............. but there's always more to learn and I Love It :D

• 1 year later...

My experiance so far makes the idea of a Teacher a bit double edged.

In the past 3 or 4 years I've taken up a few me interests.In shooting,I joined a club,in order to stay well within the law.During the probation period of membership,you get a lot of one on one attention,and the problem ends up being 3 people have 5 opinions,all of which sound good,but mostly dont seem to work.I ended up accepting all the advice I was being given,test each thing,and see which worked for me.Most of what I've learnt I've been able to pass on to others,and hs generally worked for them.

I'm not by any nature musical,so learning the guitar was a pretty major leap for me.I'm lucky in that a workmate is a gifted guitarist,and can explain things on my level.Being able to talk to him,and jam with him has helped no end,although he has seldom ever offered much dirrect input.

On my Pagan Path thus far,I've had two people to refer to,being in effect apprenticed to one of them.I am at this stage somewhat ambivilant as to how much value its been.I've clashed with them on a number of issues,either on ethics,or on the basis of things I've experianced being dismissed out of hand,or in one or two major instances,just been on the recieving end of mind games.

In pagan and magical terms,I've done no end of book reading,and continue to do so,but with greater confidence in who and what to read,but one of the reasons I've come to the Village is to have so much of a wider group to learn from.

One thing I have learned,is best explained by Winston Churchill:I love to learn,but I hate being taught!