Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

What's A Patron? - [feel stupid asking at this stage but .]

Moonsmith

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Patron

–noun

1. a person who is a customer, client, or paying guest, esp. a regular one, of a store, hotel, or the like.

2. a person who supports with money, gifts, efforts, or endorsement an artist, writer, museum, cause, charity, institution, special event, or the like: a patron of the arts; patrons of the annual Democratic dance.

3. a person whose support or protection is solicited or acknowledged by the dedication of a book or other work.

4. patron saint.

5. Roman History. the protector of a dependent or client, often the former master of a freedman still retaining certain rights over him.

6. Ecclesiastical. a person who has the right of presenting a member of the clergy to a benefice.

From Dictionary.com

However, in a Pagan sense it is mostly used to indicate ones patron deity, ie the deity the individual has chosen to honour above all others :) for eg "Her patron is Thor"

The deity who won't leave you alone.

I'll quote you Toby's take on gods...

--

My newly devised Arse Doctrine of polytheism:

Most gods are a pain in the arse. Some of them are quite nice as

well as being a pain in the arse. If they appear to be just nice,

look out for the massive pain in the arse that's on the way when you

least expect it. The ones that are just a pain in the arse are best

avoided, though they will probably get to you sooner or later.

Different gods like to cause different pain in different people's

arses. Talk to the ones that cause the least pain in yours. The

ones that cause the most pain in your particular arse won't let you

not talk to them, so just get on with it and quit moaning.

So it is written.

© Toby 2008

I find it interesting also that some folks talk of a patron goddess - isn't that a matron?

(OOOOh matron!! :) )

Personally I dislike either term so avoid their usage - refering to my Lady/my Lord

ED

I find it interesting also that some folks talk of a patron goddess - isn't that a matron?

(OOOOh matron!! :) )

Personally I dislike either term so avoid their usage - refering to my Lady/my Lord

ED

346421[/snapback]

I dislike those terms too (partly why I don't do deism)... any being wishes to be referred to as Lord or Lady can kiss my republican anti-aristocratic arse :) :lol:

Should try interacting with Roman deities then - they tend to insist on the formality of Lord/Lady - AND they kick your arse if you don't accord them the respect and deference they demand :rolleyes:

Should try interacting with Roman deities then - they tend to insist on the formality of Lord/Lady - AND they kick your arse if you don't accord them the respect and deference they demand  :rolleyes:

346448[/snapback]

I tend to avoid interaction with people and others who demand deference :P respect I can do... I'm a realist and acknowledge differences in power, but respect comes from how that power is used... I'd have respect for Donald Trump's ability to turn my village into a golf course if he so chose, but I wouldn't have respect for him if he did so ;)

I'm personally devoted to a God yet before digesting this thread I'd never call him my "patron". It doesn't quite capture our relationship - however, I forgot that patron comes from latin for "father" and I do view Woden as the "All-Father" ...

However - what else does the word "patron" signify? It's not that I necessarily serve the All Father, nor of course does he serve me. Rather we have chosen to walk together for the brief span of my life ...

Does the word patron mean anything else?

Marcus

For me, and most of those I know who use it, there's a difference between a 'patron' and another god. I guess the patron is the one who 'owns' me. sorry about the inverted commas, but that's what it feels like. ;)

Having said that, there are others who are around just as much as he is - occasionally even more. So maybe it's like having a Patron, some patrons, and then there's the others... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah - should have said: no, father is not the right word. But as I'm not Religio Romana, I'll stick to teh usage as I mean it. :P

For me, and most of those I know who use it, there's a difference between a 'patron' and another god. I guess the patron is the one who 'owns' me. sorry about the inverted commas, but that's what it feels like.  ;)

Having said that, there are others who are around just as much as he is - occasionally even more. So maybe it's like having a Patron, some patrons, and then there's the others... :rolleyes:

346468[/snapback]

What she said :P

Right - so it looks as if it isn't a term I would use.

I got the impression from my own use of the word patron that there was some sort of spiritual income/ support from this being - as in a Patron of the Arts supporting an otherwise struggling artist.

Some of you seem somewhat troubled by your gods. I loved Toby's view Jez.

I have to say if I was treated as some of you are describing by MY deity it would be a grab by the collar, eyeball to eyeball, Who believes in Whom and what happens when they stop! moment. I may not survive it but I'd do it.

Right - so it looks as if it isn't a term I would use.

I got the impression from my own use of the word patron that there was some sort of spiritual income/ support from this being - as in a Patron of the Arts supporting an otherwise struggling artist.

Some of you seem somewhat troubled by your gods.  I loved Toby's view Jez.

I have to say if I was treated as some of you are describing by MY deity it would be a grab by the collar, eyeball to eyeball, Who believes in Whom and what happens when they stop! moment.  I may not survive it but I'd do it.

346479[/snapback]

Oh, no. It's worth every moment. There are things which only that relationship can ever teach you, things that only being pledged to one Person can give you, things that make it all SO WORTH WHILE it's indescribable.

BUT it isn't something to go into lightly, because it demands from you the best you can give, at every moment, for ever.

BUT it isn't something to go into lightly, because it demands from you the best you can give, at every moment, for ever.

346482[/snapback]

Sounds like being married to my dh :unsure: