Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest silvergirl

What's It Take To Be A Real, Proper Witch? - just wondering

Guest silvergirl

What is a "witch", truly, and how would the average person (like me) go about becoming one and being one?

Please feel free to add your two cents. The more feedback from real witches, the better. :lol:

Ad from Google

Guest Twilightdreamer1979
What is a "witch", truly, and how would the average person (like me) go about becoming one and being one?

Please feel free to add your two cents. The more feedback from real witches, the better. :lol:

47785[/snapback]

Interesting question.

I guess it depends on what you believe in and how you live your life.

For someone who follows the Wiccan path I guess If you can abide by the Rede then you could consider yourself a "REAL" witch.

I think the question should be do you consider yourself to be a real witch,? and if not why not? What do you think you're lacking?

NEVER SAY YOU'RE AVERAGE!!!!!! You're unique, you're special, you're different, you are NOT average..

"average" should go on that list of words that people don't like in the other thread running at the mo.

TD.x.

Guest Julai

Sorry, I'm not a witch and I don't know, but it's a very interesting question. Also, how do you know you want to be a witch if you don't know what it is you want to be? Do you just slide into it by virtue of meeting the right people?

I used to want to be a witch, but my path has taken me all over the place and I haven't yet met any witches who were really keen to tell me about it, and now I'm more interested in shamanic practices, which are about self healing really, rather than spell making.

But I don't see it as something distinct from witchcraft. Unless someone can tell me how it is.

Cosmic_Fool

Well I'm not a witch either though I have been called such. In my case I feel that I am not worthy of the title. May be in the future I might be.

As to how you become a witch, there are three ways I can think of.

1) Take up the Wiccan path, preferably a known tradition to which you can work up through the grades and be properly initiated.

Now I know that many here will maintain that it is fully posible to be a wiccan and not join a known tradition or coven, but if you do then there is no way people can deny you the right to use the title (unless of course your tradition uses something different)

2) Work with a trad witch, or at least do the study, research, study, practice, study, research, reading, research and study on your own to build up the knowledge and experience that might then let other's regard you as entitled to the title. Did I mention it takes study??

3) put on a dressing gown, prance around in front of the media making strange claims and 'mystik' passes.

You won't really be a witch but the media might think you are.

Kev

• Like 1

Esk

You could do that... Option 1 is how to be a Wiccan. Option 2 is how to be a Trad Witch. Option 3 is how to be a pillock.

I didn't take any of those routes, I'm a witch though. I'm my kind of witch and it feels real enough to me. Find out what being a witch means to you. Then see if you care what others think you are. I reckon you'll be on your way then.

• Like 1

Guest very

I'm a witch, but at the end of the day I'm me. It's something I've always identified with, been drawn to, and as I get older the more important it becomes to, especially as I learn more about me Very, as a Witch.

Guest Themis690218

hello I'm a Witch, not totally Wiccan , but with Celtic leanings.

I found my own way from the realisation that Paganism was a belief and not a Xtian putdown, through studying what Paganism is, no I'm not an authority on the subject! That evolved into Wicca which for me isn't necessarily right, but not mocked as wrong either, but it led to Witchcraft in which I am totally absorbed.My path is animal healing. I do hold Rituals rather than cast Spells, as that lets me welcome the Deities. I'm also an environmentalist, I don't hug trees, I'm not of the fluffy bunny ilk. Witchcraft means far too much to me to allow sentiment and Hollywood er um B******t. I've made some really good friends of a like mind, and find it totally absorbing and fulfilling.

I do try to honour the Witches Rede, but alas from time to time you meet people whose heads really need flushing away!

Bright Blessings, i assume you are Pagan?

Guest stormy

how to be a proper witch.oh i know this one.

its a pointy hat and a broomstick isnt it?.

Guest Ameniatha

In agreement with what Esk mentioned...I would just like to add that not all witches are wiccan, and not all wiccans are witches...

I am a wiccan, not a witch, but a wiccan. I follow a specific tradition into which I have been initiated, and have become a member of clergy, ie. I am a Priestess. Wiccans follow a specific set of rules/tenets which identify us as wiccans.

This cannot be said for witches. Witchcraft is a lifestyle, a way of living, being at one with the forces of nature and using these in magic etc. Wiccans do this too, but witches do not follow any rules. They are not governed by any traditions, laws etc. Wicca is a religion, witchcraft is not...

Esk
This cannot be said for witches. Witchcraft is a lifestyle, a way of living, being at one with the forces of nature and using these in magic etc. Wiccans do this too, but witches do not follow any rules. They are not governed by any traditions, laws etc. Wicca is a religion, witchcraft is not...

47827[/snapback]

Err, broadly speaking. Truer to say we do follow rules but those rules vary from witch to witch. We make our own. Some follow a tradition some don't. Some have a religion, some don't. It's an individual thing, rather than a organised group thing.

Thing is Silvergirl, there's a saying which basicly says 'Ask 3 witches what a witch is, get 5 answers'

• Like 1

LadyCatCrimson
In agreement with what Esk mentioned...I would just like to add that not all witches are wiccan, and not all wiccans are witches...

I am a wiccan, not a witch, but a wiccan. I follow a specific tradition into which I have been initiated, and have become a member of clergy, ie. I am a Priestess. Wiccans follow a specific set of rules/tenets which identify us as wiccans.

47827[/snapback]

Well I agree with the first part of your statement but disagree with the last paragraph. Maybe this wasn't your intention but don't we have enough Wiccan snobbery around ? No offence to the Wiccans that do frequent these boards and have respect for others paths by the way, but you know it does exist. Just because something doesn't follow a set of predetermined rules with a hierarchy and status does not make it inferior or less valid a path. Also I would say it was untrue to say witches do not follow any rules. They may not be your rules, and there may be variations, but being a witch rather than a Wiccan is not total formless anarchy as you seem to imply.

• Like 1

Guest very
Well I agree with the first part of your statement but disagree with the last paragraph. Maybe this wasn't your intention but don't we have enough Wiccan snobbery around

I have to say I didn't read Ameniatha's comments as suggesting that Wicca is more important or valid than Witchcraft. I'm sure she didn't mean that.

LadyCatCrimson

Well - hopefully not Very and I did say " maybe these aren't your intentions ". But I do get fed up with the attitude I previously described and makes me sad to see some people worry and get all hung up on finite definitions.

I would say in my own completely subjective opinion that thought, study, practise, truthfulness, learning, respect, lack of arrogance, learning and a sense of responsibility make a " proper witch " and not whether you use a pointy wooden stick with skybluepink spots on facing east every second Monday of the month whilst singing Baa Baa Black Sheep and standing on one leg.

Guest Touchstone
how to be a proper witch.oh i know this one.

its a pointy hat and a broomstick isnt it?.

47823[/snapback]

No, but apparently you will have some magical ability by the end of the week.

Guest lieverd

seeing as we cant get away from labels i'd have a look at the hedgewitch, a solitary witch with her own high degree of ethics and responsibilities , studying hard reading lots (herbcraft) and basically finding your own path that suits you.

Wicca is very different also a lot of hard work first you need to find a coven then from there on study mainly as part of a group.

Esk

And it's also worth mentioning that Witchcraft isn't an easy option either, what with it all being up to you.

Guest Pigwidget
Option 1 is how to be a Wiccan. Option 2 is how to be a Trad Witch. Option 3 is how to be a pillock.

;) :blush:

Hillarious, Esk!!

But seriously, what do you think a witch should be? How do you imagine one to look, act, live? After reading about paganism for a while, sit down and answer those questions and you will know.

I have to say that even after practicing paganism and witchcraft for nigh on a decade I still get moments when I ask myself this question.

Cosmic_Fool
Option 3 is how to be a pillock.

47800[/snapback]

Well it works for KFC :o_wave:

But seriously, if you don't want to be any type of wiccan then to be a witch requires you to work hard at learning everything that you consider to be a part of witchcraft. It is very hard work, as has been noted above, and its something you never quite finish.

One point to make is that there is no set look for a witch and no set qualification. You can look just the same as anyone else in the street and still be a witch.

In many ways being a witch is more about what you don't do than what you can do. Having the confidence to observe and decide to act only when and if you feel that it is right is much more 'witchy' than having a pointed hat and a complete collection of crystals.

Kev

Guest Galena

Surely to be a Witch you have to become fairly competent in Witchcraft.

Guest Ameniatha
Well - hopefully not Very and I did say " maybe these aren't your intentions ". But I do get fed up with the attitude I previously described and makes me sad to see some people worry and get all hung up on finite definitions.

I would say in my own completely subjective opinion that thought, study, practise, truthfulness, learning, respect, lack of arrogance, learning and a sense of responsibility make a " proper witch " and not whether you use a pointy wooden stick with skybluepink spots on facing east every second Monday of the month whilst singing Baa Baa Black Sheep and standing on one leg.

47918[/snapback]

Thankyou very for jumping to my defence... :o_roflmao:

LadyCC, it was not my intention to sound snooty at all, I am very much aware that Witchcraft is a valid path to follow. I was not implying that the rules they follow are anarchistic.... I was merely pointing out that there is a difference between a Wiccan who follows a set tradition, and a witch...

If I insulted anyone, please accept my apologies.. :o_rofl:

Edited to correct a gross spelling mistake.... :lol:

Edited by Ameniatha

Guest jainanne

47918[/snapback]

Im right with you there! :o_roflmao:

Guest AlonaDragonfly

Ah but some witches don't call themselves that :o_roflmao: Even Trad witches just use the word witch as it is an easily (or easier) definable and understandable label. That's all it is really. Just another word for something people do and something people are.

Guest moonflower

i would say that whatever interpretation you give the word "witch" you should probably expect to put in quite a bit of hard work and dedication. :o_wave:

Guest silvergirl

Thanks for all the replies. :o_thwak:

"Pagan" is the only name I give myself right now. I know I'll have to do a lot of meditating/thinking/studying/practicing to get any further ahead.

Guest bastet
i would say that whatever interpretation you give the word "witch" you should probably expect to put in quite a bit of hard work and dedication. :lol:

48997[/snapback]

Here here Moonflower!

I know a lot of witches feel that the title need's to be 'conferred' as such - not necessarily through exam or ceremony, but more a 'takes one to know one' kind of idea. It takes natural skill and training, but can you get that training with self study? I suppose it's like all things, you can gain a certain amount of competence by yourself, but at some point you'll probably need someone else more experienced to push you in the right direction.

Rhiana

which is the beauty of this place as there are all kinds of witches here from newbies to life long - if anyone needs help/advice the forums are a fab place and it can be taken to pm for more in depth private discussion ;)

Guest lupine_NickT

To me, being a witch is like being an artist - there's lots of different artists (modern art, pre-renaissance art, sculptural art, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...), some complain that some others 'aren't real artists', others maintain that 'everyone's an artist...', even more just get on with it and ignore the arguments... :)

My personal view is that witches are born, not made. BUT (before people start shouting, lol :blink: ), I'd also say that only a witch could be *seriously* attracted to witchcraft. Sure, you'll get your media tarts (Kevin!), your crackpots, perverts and "fluffies"... but how many of them ACTUALLY TAKE IT "SERIOUSLY"? Rather than just viewing witchcraft as a way of meeting hot boyz/girlz, getting attention, sex, money or success?

So, if we just assume that you already are a witch (artist!) - you might not be very good at it right now (or you might be)... but there's always room for improvement, learning new techniques, etc... you'll always have blind spots, that you don't know much about - even areas where you have absolutely no talent, and no chance of improvement(think Rincewind!)... but that doesn't make you any less a witch. Just as my mum's inability to draw clothes on people doesn't make her any less an artist :D

xF,

...Nick

Guest fuzi
Thing is Silvergirl, there's a saying which basicly says 'Ask 3 witches what a witch is, get 5 answers'

Or in some cases 'ask one witch what a witch is an d get five answers' :(

I'm a witch. I'm a Pagan. I respect the earth, believe in the gods, try to be a good person, and give life a bit of a nudge with magic when needed. The most important thing is that I know who and what I am, and it's something that you are not something you become. Everyone has it in them, but not everyone uses it.

Guest stormy

lovely way of putting it fuzi, totally agree with all of that.

cheers.

xx

Guest Dave

I've been being good boy and watching this one run, as I didn't want to be mobbed by irate wiccans :lol: ...joke...

My understanding.....very simple....very basic....:

To have a connection with and understanding of our natural surroundings.

To recognise and honour the extraordinary; the energies, the spirit, the deities in whatever forms we recognise them.

To have a line of communication open to them and to have some ability to use that connection and communication with them and our environment in what most people would consider to be an extraordinary way but that to us/me feels perfectly natural and normal.

Wiccans hit me now if you feel the need.