Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Always Wary - heathen sites

Guest Sigridr

having a wander on the net this evening and looking up pagan sites/heathen sites. Now i am -very- aware of racist feelings within some of the heathen community, and i really dont want to associate myself with any of them, however if there is something to learn from speaking with others, i dont want to miss out.

its no problem in a mixed pagan site, i know for a fact if anyone was a bigot they would be burned at the stake :) but for purely heathen sites, which i cant see a lot of info about until i join, im a bit apprehensive.

for the handful of heathens here... any knowledge about www.heathenplaces.com ?

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Heathenry has this serious divide between racist and non-racist heathens. It's not helped by the concept of folkish heathenry (which isnt' the same as racist - though often racists and anti-racists a like will claim it is). I recommend Heathens for progress (google us!) as a starting point - there are non-racist heathens out there - and we're not that hard to find ...

Marcus

Dear Sigridr,

having a wander on the net this evening and looking up pagan sites/heathen sites. Now i am -very- aware of racist feelings within some of the heathen community, and i really dont want to associate myself with any of them, however if there is something to learn from speaking with others, i dont want to miss out.

347870[/snapback]

I'm not a Heathen myself but even so, I sometimes can't avoid saying moderately favourable things about them. When I first started hearing of such folk back in the early 80's, yes, the 'racist' caution was often applied - but back then, the visible ones seemed to call themselves 'Odinists' more often than Heathens. Over the years, I've got to know an alarming number of Heathens and while a few of them might not like to hear this, their social values and attitudes actually strike me as pretty similar to those of the rest of the Pagan community. I've found the same emphasis on personal freedom and personal responsibility, the same belief in individual and collective honour, the same respect for equality of the sexes, and the same principled rejection of racism.

Yes, I know you get some hard-right, racist, Heathen groups. But you also get hard-right, racist, Christian groups, hard-right, racist, Muslim groups, and all kinds of other scum trying to hide their inadequacies behind religion. For that matter, you can find a (very) few Wiccans, Druids and other Pagans who hold vile, racist, beliefs. There aren't many of them and they tend to keep their mouths shut to avoid excessive dental bills , but if you turn over enough stones in some of the damper corners, one or two might go wriggling for shelter.

I've never had any reason to think there's any inherent connection between Heathenry and racism. Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of Norse mythology or the history of Pagan Scandinavia knows supporting evidence for such a thing is slender to the point of not being there. The presumed connection rests on the imaginings of some over-exitable German Romantics of the 19th Century, whose fancies were taken up by a tiny handful of Nazis. These Nazis were as much failures in academic matters as they were in every other decent human quality, but sadly, they provided a useful pretext, for the horrified, overwhelmingly Christian, Western powers whose armies liberated concentration camps during the closing stages of WWII, to largely avoid the question of how another, equally Christian, European country could have been responsible for such unprecedented evils.

I've heard many good things about the groups Marcus and Davkin have mentioned.

Best Wishes,

John "Not a Heathen" Macintyre

thankyou all for your help and advice. it is with all things that when you get extreme fundamentalism, you find hatred snuggled between the covers.

i have been avoiding looking up heathen sites, for that reason, but as davkin intelligently said, i can remove myself from the sites just as quickly as i entered them.

there will always be numpties, its an unfortunate fact of life, now off to probably encounter some fantastic numpties.