Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Is There Anybody There? - am I? aren't I?

Guest LisaLQ

Wasnt expecting to find the "truth", no, just as certain things make you a certain...erm...thing (eg Christians believe in God, and Jesus being the son of god etc - as FACT, taught in schools etc - and that's what MAKES them that faith).

Eg. If I didnt believe in God in the form told in the bible, I wouldn't be a Christian. For example, if I believed in a Hindu god, then I definitely wouldn't be! Some things MAKE you that faith. If believing in multiple gods as fact makes you pagan, I am not pagan.

Eeeh heck, I can tell you're getting sick of the questions so I'll just keep reading instead...

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Erp, no, sorry, didn't mean to make you feel your questions were becoming irritated, far from it :D

I just thought this was all carrying on a conversation with many viewpoints, I didn't mean it to sound like instruction or hectoring :unsure:

Why on Earth do you keep saying that you hope you're not offending, or that you think you are annoying people?! Has anyone here appeared annoyed or said that they are offended? If we all went around terrified of avoiding ever offending people we would live in a dull world indeed! Courage me dear! This is a good thread and has obviously interested folk.

We all have our own views on deity. Some (like Birka) have an understanding of deity which is shared by other Barbari.......sorry, heathens. Pomona concerns herself with the deities of the good old Latins. Some here believe in essences and spirits in everything. Some in a Lord and Lady, others a hotch potch......... and some like me don't particularly believe in deities at all.

On a site like this which is for all Pagans you are not likely to get a concensus on what is true, nor are you going to get people being offended if others view deity differently to them.

I may not share Pomona's beliefs or Birkas or those of lots on here, but I do feel we are linked in many of our impulses and other World views. It is hard to define what it is that makes a person Pagan, and uniformity of belief is not a defining thing......... kindred spirits to a degree maybe.

And Lisa, you sound so distressed at not understanding the ways things work in Paganism......... remember you are not in confirmation class and nobody is going to test you! Just read and chat and learn and enjoy. :unsure:

Mike

We all have our own views on deity.  Some (like Birka) have an understanding of deity which is shared by other Barbari.......

Cough.

Pomona concerns herself with the deities of the good old Latins.

353268[/snapback]

A friend of mine, a Heathen as it happens, dedicated to Ran (goddess of the sea) by swimming into a full moon treacherous bay one night, siad to me that she regarded herself as polytheist first, and Heathen second. This is true of all the polytheists I know personally.

I have had dealings with gods from 'other' pantheons. I, also, concern myslef with the gods of the good old Latins, if they come to call. or the Hindus. Or anyone else. Gods are not to be shown the door simply because they do not comply with one's personal beliefs. :unsure:

Well, nothing wrong in searching out Truth, as long as you understand that it can only be YOUR Truth

353259[/snapback]

Oops, cat amongst the pigeons time again.

Am I the only one here that actually believes there is a singular TRUTH! Just that we dont know it yet? Most paths/religions get glimpses of this truth, our job is to fit the pieces together and discover it, I believe.

*ducks behind the sofa*

Am I the only one here that actually believes there is a singular TRUTH!

353284[/snapback]

lol

Some schools of thought are that there is only one truth, however there are many different ways to find it...

Am I the only one here that actually believes there is a singular TRUTH! Just that we dont know it yet? Most paths/religions get glimpses of this truth, our job is to fit the pieces together and discover it, I believe.

353284[/snapback]

Stray this may well be a debate in another thread but I do not believe that it is helpful in the "Starter" forum.

Most commentators on Paganism make the point that a common characteristic of Paganism is its acceptance of other belief sets and even acceptance of other interpretations of their own belief set.

This thread is being read by people newly called or newly exploring Paganism. Many will be escaping organisations who claim to know the truth [singular] They don't!

As Pomona says - they may have discovered a truth that suits their adherents.

Your belief in a single truth is just like my belief in a "continuing working hypothesis" It is just another truth. Hold to it for it is your own. In no way do I wish to diminish it.

I trust that others searching this thread will find their own truth and take joy from it.

Well one thing I do know - my truth - is that since looking and reading and being a member here, I have felt relief, happiness and welcome.

I've spent the last 32 years wondering whether I was stark raving bonkers (news just in - I am LOL).

Well one thing I do know - my truth - is that since looking and reading and being a member here, I have felt relief, happiness and welcome.

I've spent the last 32 years wondering whether I was stark raving bonkers (news just in - I am LOL).

353299[/snapback]

This is a good thing :)

Please don't worry about your questions, I think we've all been where you are now. Just be prepared for the fact that the more answers you get more questions tend to get generated. :lol:

If anything catches your eye in your reading and you want to ask anything, please do. Just remember, you'll rarely get a consensus. Unlike the main "religions" paganism is really a loose grouping of varied belief systems, not all of which could describe themselves as "religion" as such.

Dispite / inspite of being a member here for some time and knowing the 'label' pagan fitted me for a goodly while longer, I have had great pleasure reading this gentle thread.

It has very nicely confirmed and reaffirment me and my truth and the truthfulness of most all other people/s paths.

Enjoy the walk on the footpath of discovery...

Be bright, be bold

Fillionous